Dec

Update: Mariano Rivera will have surgery …

Dec. 1st: … on his vocal cords. Did I get you with the title again? Can’t blame me if you fell for it again, it’s on you the second time. Anyway Mark Feinsand reports that Rivera will indeed have surgery to remove polyps from his vocal cords next Thursday. He’ll need two weeks of rest (including no speaking during the first), then he should be good to go. Get well soon, Mo.

Nov. 22nd: … on his vocal cords. George King reports that Rivera will meet with a doctor on Monday to determine if baseball’s all-time best reliever needs to have his vocal cords scraped. “It’s been a month,” said Mo earlier today. “Every time I talk it gets worse and worse.”

Based on what I’ve been able to find on the interwebs, the recovery time for such a procedure is six weeks followed by an unknown amount of speech therapy. “When you are taking about surgery nothing is simple,” said Rivera, who’s absolutely right. Hopefully the doctors find a non-invasive treatment and Mo can enjoy the rest of his offseason.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Troll Killer says:

Haha just saw in on MLBN.

2. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I’ll be honest here, that title scared the shit out of me.

3. JohnnyBGoode says:

DON’T EVER PULL THIS ON ME AGAIN! THIS IS NO JOKING MATTER! LOUD NOISES!

4. Steve (different one) says:

Not cool Mike…

5. FIPster Doofus says:

Randy Levine read only the title and then signed Ryan Madson to a 10-year, $115 million deal with nine player options. Thanks a lot, Mike.

6. ADam says:

Not Cool… seriously…. OK, never again

7. Mickey S says:

This could affect his pitching, in some bizarre way.

8. Sarah says:

I think this is the same surgery that music people are having done these days? Regardless, get well soon, Mo!

9. sjferrari says:

I did the same thing to my girlfriend. She was pretty mad at me.

10. Frigidevil says:

I hope he isn’t forced to become as horribly boring as Joe Buck.

11. sean says:

I’m a speech therapist. I’d love to help Mo get his voice back.

12. Pat D says:

His voice will probably become quite raspy for a while.

The deceased wrestler Brian Pillman had a lot of surgeries on his vocal chords as a child and had a very distinctive rasp to his voice the rest of his life.

Of course that has nothing to do with Mo, just something I thought I’d share.

Now I’m curious to see if someone responds…

13. Johnny Nitro says:

Mike, you owe me a new pair of unsoiled pants.

14. kev says:

I am a singer and have had vocal surgery twice, its no walk in the park but other than being put under. There is no real risk, just having to shut up and not talk for 2 weeks then slowly work back over the next 4 weeks.

Mo will be mo, no need to worry

15. hogsmog says:

Pants: shat.

16. Rainbow Connection says:

Miles Davis just called Mariano a pu55y.

17. Thomas Cassidy says:

Fucking title scared me. It really says something when a soon to be 42 year old pitcher having surgery could kill this team.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I love Mo, but seriously doubt an injury to him would “kill this team.” Robertson and Soriano are incapable of pitching the ninth inning instead of the seventh or eighth?

• Thomas Cassidy says:

Robertson would be fine, but I’m not sold on Soriano. Healthy or not last year, he sucked ass. Losing their most valuable reliever would not be very good in this division would be terrible, especially come playoff time.

18. MannyGeee says:

of all the major league closers, why would god smite Mo’s vocal chords as opposed to… saaaaaaay, Valverde or Papelbon?

I just dont get it.

19. Jesse says:

Didn’t fool me the first time, and didn’t fool me the second time.

20. steveO says:

Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead (HOF Bassist) had the same operation, and saw it extend his career by over two decades (still playin at 60+). Can we expect the same from an athlete like Mo? Closing out the 2035 WS because oof throat surgery? Who needs Colon’s shoulder surgery? This might be the fountain of youth!

21. GT Yankee says:

Mo’s a trooper. If this had been Carlos Beltran he would have waited until 2 weeks before spring training to have surgery.

22. Sean C says:

I can handle Mo not talking. Whatever magic or divine intervention keeps those cutters unhittable(not a word, but…) is completely OK with me. He can continue shattering bats for the rest of my life. I kind of wish he would.

23. Fin says:

Is there a FA that the media doesnt try to tie to the Yankees? MLBrumorus is saying that the Yankees are intersted in Carlos Pena becasue they tried to claim him off waivers last year. I dont know if its true that the Yankees tried to claim him off waivers. HOwever, if it is, its clear that it was becasue Posada was doing nothing and Montero had not played yet. Yet there it is, the yankees are one of the teams interested in Pena.

24. Monteroisdinero says:

OMG-he comes out of the operating room sounding like Michael Kay!

25. Gonzo says:

I forgot where I read it. Someone was trying to make it into a bigger thing than it is.

Too funny. They were like, “the Yankees are being mum on what is actually wrong.” Then they went on to have one small line later in the article saying that the Yankees are mum because of HIPPA. Horrible reporting.