Dec

Open Thread: Kelly Stinnett

Visual evidence. (Photo via www. halloffamememoribilia.com)

I had completely forgotten Kelly Stinnett was once a Yankee. They signed him six years ago today, and apparently he played 34 games for them in 2006 before being released in July. He even hit a homerun at some point, which is pretty neat. Too bad I don’t remember it.

Inspired by Stinnett, I went back and looked at the Yankees roster over the last few years to see which players I had completely forgotten about. Here’s a few: Kris Wilson (five games in 2006), Felix Escalona (15 games from 2004-2005), Travis Lee (seven games in 2004), Chris Stewart (one game in 2008), Dan Miceli (seven games in 2003), and The Ramiro Mendonza Reunion Tour (one game in 2005). I can’t believe Travis Lee was once a Yankee and I forgot all about it. I remember thinking he was going to be a star after that one good year (116 OPS+ for the 2003 Devil Rays). So much for that.

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. There is a football game on tonight, the Eagles at the Seahawks (8:20 pm ET). It’ll be on the NFL Network nationally and on some local channel in those markets. The Rangers are also playing. Talk about whatever you like here, anything goes.

Categories : Open Thread

1. The Fallen Phoenix says:

Don’t forget Mike Lamb, the would-be successor to Aaron Boone pre-A-Rod.

Though I think he got traded away before the season started, so I guess he doesn’t count since he never played a game for the Yankees.

2. Plank says:

Buddy Carlyle will get added to that list in a few years.

3. Rey22 says:

Except for Ramiro Mendoza and Stinnett, I have no idea who any of those players are. I vaguely remember Lee, but I don’t remember him being a Yankee.

4. CANO FAN #1 says:

I miss My yankees so much

5. Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

Funny. I remember Stinnett much more than the rest of them. He was absolutely terrible. It was like if Sal Fasano and Joel Skinner mated, and their offspring was less of a hitter than either parent.

Kris Wilson is actually the only forgotten guy off that list.

If you really want to have fun, go back and look at the 1990-92 rosters. Even those of us who were around won’t remember some of those guy…..Jeff Johnson literally had no MLB career outside of being in the Yankee rotation those years.

6. Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

I wish I could forget Darrell May and Tim Redding, but they were just that bad that one outing.

7. JohnnyC says:

Jack Curry says Valentine reached out to David Cone for pitching coach although he doubts Cone accepts. Always thought Coney would make good pitching coach but, thankfully, Cash knew Dave Eiland was a genius.

8. A.Garcia says:

What about Matt DeSalvo?

9. A.Garcia says:

Bronson Sardinha?

10. A.Garcia says:

Kevin Thompson?

11. jay h says:

wow,John Mitchell is tough

12. RetroRob says:

I wasn’t sure if RAB might provide a direct link on this so I waited a day. With all the discussion on the CBA and how it might impact the Yankees, Nomaas.org interviewed Yankees SVP Mark Newman on how the CBA might impact the Yankees. Newman doesn’t seem to like it!

• Plank says:

That’s a good interview. I wish it was longer. The comments there are quite RAB-heavy.

• RetroRob says:

Had the same reaction. I was enjoying the interview and hoped it went on longer. I’ve pretty much given up reading Nomaas.org over the past eighteen months, but I do drop in from time to time because they do get some interesting interviews. As far as I know, Newman is the first Yankee official to comment on the recent CBA, so I thought it was worth a link over here.

• Ted Nelson says:

I’m always impressed with Newman in interviews. Strikes me as very rational and thoughtful.

13. JobaWockeeZ says:

Marlins sign Bell. 3 years 9 mil AAV.

• Mattchu12 says:

This pretty much means Madson to BOS, right? Personally, I’d let Bard close and sign a Frank Francisco type to bolster the set-up roles with Jenks, but it seems like they are down on Bard right now. Time to overpay for Madson, I suspect.

• Plank says:

I bet they don’t sign a big money closer. Since Madsen will be left standing after this game of musical chairs, I presume Levine will tender a contract of 4/$90 will an opt out clause after each year.

• Ted Nelson says:

Why do you see them as down on Bard?

• Mattchu12 says:

Any normal team would say, “We don’t need a free agent closer, we have Bard” if they were the Red Sox after Papelbon left. But they didn’t.

Also, while Papelbon ended up having a great year, I have felt like Bard has been better for a while now and yet there seemed to be no inclination to switch the two. I read the Boston Dirt Dogs alot to keep up on the enemy, and the Sox just don’t seem confident with making Bard the closer.

• Ted Nelson says:

I honestly have no idea. Hadn’t thought too much about it, so was curious.

The Yankees especially seemed in my memory to have Bard’s number last season… Just remember down the stretch almost being excited he was coming in. So maybe they really don’t think he’s a good bet to handle it.

On the first count they haven’t signed anyone have they? They might still explore the market and hand Bard the job. On the second… Papelbon has been pretty good. The Yankees also didn’t talk about switching Mo and DRob even though DRob was arguably having the better season… Not to totally compare the two situations, just to say I don’t think most teams would switch their totally capable closer for a slight potential upgrade. Most teams seem to view the closer role as pretty sticky.

• Mattchu12 says:

I kind of remember it being the opposite. I got excited for Bard to come out. But I don’t have the stats or anything to back that up. I just liked our chances better against Papelbon, not scared of him at all.

They haven’t signed anyone yet, they seem to be waiting for prices to come down, but I’ve seen more than a couple little notes on MLB Trade Rumors and on the Rotoworld website where they’ve said the Red Sox aren’t comfortable handing the closer’s job over to Bard for 2012. They might still, but I doubt it.

I wasn’t necessarily advocating playing the hot hand or anything, so the Mo/D-Rob situation is a bit different. Mo has been entrenched in that role forever. It’s just that Papelbon had a pretty rough year in 2010 and a no so great first half for 2011, and yet there was no talk about the swap that I can remember. Seemed odd to me since Bard was so good in 2010 and the first half of 2011.

It’s mostly just a feel thing to me. Just feels like they aren’t willing to give Bard the chance to close, so I assume they’ll sign somebody and Madson is the best guy on the market right now.

14. mike says:

I remember when they signed Lee and how he was a great defensive 1B, but the Yanks tried to put him in the OF ( i suppose to help his versatility) and he blew his arm out making a throw.

From there, the Yanks stumbled onto Olerud and Tony Clark – and i still believe that Olerud going down forcing Clark to play 1B was a major factor in that series loss to Boston.

15. Jose M. Vazquez.. says:

I can only remember two or three of those guys. That is one reason that I watch old Yankee videos to see who was on the team at a given time. You usually see them during celebrations.