Dec

Report: A’s wanted Montero and top pitching prospects for Gio

Via Andy Martino, the Athletics asked the Yankees for Jesus Montero and “top pitching prospects” when they inquired about left-baller Gio Gonzalez earlier this winter. A few weeks ago we heard that the A’s wanted young, high-end outfielders in return for the 26-year-old, but the Yankees don’t have any of those to offer and it was before Oakland got Collin Cowgill in the Trevor Cahill deal. Considering that Mat Latos just got traded for something less than Montero plus “top pitching prospects,” this was probably an easy no for the braintrust.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Jake says:

I think trading for the No. 2 starter is pretty much out. At this point, it’s probably just down to Jackson or Noesi, and hope Dellin or Manny start out hot enough that they can be promoted when someone is injured or not performing.

The lack of aggression on starters also makes me wonder (gasp) about Joba again. Do they see him as a possible starter again? Maybe with TJ surgery out of the way, they can let him him loose with the curveball again.

2. OCD says:

Banuelos, Betances, Romine. Get it done Cash.

• JMK says:

I’m not high on Romine and think Betances will likely end up a reliever, but that’s still WAY too much to give up for someone walking 4 per 9. The potential is absolutely front-of-the-rotation but I like more assurances when dealing that much.

3. CANO FAN #1 says:

No thanks

4. I would do it if Gio is willing to leave ~2.5 BB/9 in Oakland

5. William says:

Banuelos, Betances and Williams. Deal.

6. Craig Maduro says:

Good pass. That is a ridiculous price.

7. Gonzo says:

Apparently the Padres had a choice of a few deals for Latos. Does anyone know if the Yanks were or were not a member of those teams that made an offer?

Gio is the Youkilis of pitchers. He loves them walks.

8. icebird753 says:

Isn’t this old news?

9. Will (the other one) says:

And again we all bear witness to the ugly side of Moneyball: trade extortion.

10. Billion$Bullpen says:

For once I agree with what appears to be the plan. Wait it out and get that 1 type guy even if you have to do without for a year or two or three until that pitcher is available for a price you can deal with.

Here is to hoping Cole Hamels does not sign any extension with the Phils, and damn Jimmy Rollins for not extracting more $ from the Phils.

11. John Ya Ya says:

Seems like every team wants the whole Yankee farm system for one pitcher, hoping Cashman gets desperate. After the Latos deal, I don’t think a fair trade is going to happen. It’s looking more and more like Kuroda or nothing.

12. Jamey says:

I hope in return Cashman asked for 2002 Barry Zito to be included as well.

13. Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

Of course they did. And the Yankees countered with that prospect named “Dick.”

14. j says:

This is a negotiation – why wouldn’t Beane start high. This isn’t his actual asking price – just a starting point that he knows he will bargained down from. Cashman counter offers with DJ Mitchell and Brandon Laird and the deal gets done at a midpoint.

15. j says:

I fully expect if nobody bites on his first demands, Beane will call back with a more realistic offer.

16. Guest says:

Cashman has rings and contractual stability. I think he has sufficient swag to avoid dumb decisions.

Simply put, paying too much for Buerhle or CJ Wilson would not have been smart. Trading Montero plus killer B’s for non-sure things like Gio would not be smart.

And when you consider the epiphany free agency classes that may be available in 2012/2013, it just makes sense to hold on to the money and the trade assets and use them on stars who are worth it (cough Hamels cough Greinke cough).

17. BK2ATL says:

The A’s deserve their 2012 last place fate. Billy Beane is overrated.

If I’m Cash, I’d just ignore the other 29 GMs. I wouldn’t even go to the winter meetings, other than a paid holiday to sleep. I would treat them with the same scorn that they’ve treated him. As seen over he past few years, there’s no way that Cashman will get a fair or close to fair trade for SP. It’s one thing to start off negotiations. It’s another to start off at an absurd level. Therefore, I think it’s best to use the Yankees’ resources and time more effectively.

Let the kids play. Combine them with the vets, knowing that there will be some growing pains. At the end of the day, they will get that all-important experience, esp. when they are failing. Learning the MLB game from the likes of CC, Jeter, A-Rod, Mariano, etc. You can’t teach that experience in AAA. (All IPK, Jackson, Melancon, etc. did to improve was to accept the opportunity to play consistently, something that never happened in NYC.)

If the kids prove themselves competent, Cashman won’t have to call anyone. They will be calling him. At the very least, you have your prospects become MLB players and you’re filling out your roster in the cheap and working towards that $189 million 2014 figure, without the mediocre SP signing or SP trade.

• JMK says:

It’s easy to say they should just mix the kids with the vets (and I don’t necessarily disagree), but I don’t think it’s as cut and dried. Who knows how long the window is open? By the time the kids are likely at average or better-than-average production, you’re looking at a declining, aging pair of corner infielders (A-Rod and Tex), a Social Security-eligible Derek Jeter nabbing grounders in a Jazzy; a new closer; in all likelihood, more expensive corner outfielders (if the current pair even remains) and second baseman; either a fat deal for Grandy beyond his prime or a kid; and who knows about the rotation.

Certainly everything could shake out fantastically – the kids adjust, payroll comes down and some critical positions like catcher, center fielder, starting rotation are filled ably. And yes, trades and free agency always remain options to replenish and reload. But there’s also a lot of risk pairing unproven rookie wildcards with aging vets that could drop like trees with injury and lackluster performances.

• BK2ATL says:

My point about that is you never know unless you make a commitment to let it play out. It takes an act of God or multiple injuries before the recent Yankees’ teams let the kids play. They’d rather go after the aging vet, rather than inject new life into the team by calling up their top prospects.

Our offense will average at least 5 runs a game. Other than when AJ’s out there, I’m pretty confident that the rest of the rotation could manage to keep us in the game.

What window are you referring to? A-Rod, Jeter, Mariano, and some could say Tex, are already aging o aged. We’re on the hook with them for the coming years. Right now, we CAN blend youth into this team and absorb the growing pains. We NEED to do this now, which is why I’m against trading Montero and Banuelos at this point. We need them to be successful here now more than we need Gonzalez or Danks or Floyd. Danks will cost someone $12-15 million/yr in 2013.

At this stage, based on the repeated attempts at fleecing Cashman in trade and FA, I’d rather take the risk of seeing exactly what these kids are made of. We can work them into the rhythm of the 25 man roster IF we choose to. We can hit the $189 million mark, and possibly re-sign Cano AND Grandy, and continue to contend.

18. bankers hours says:

Yankees aern’t going to get anyone good like Gio or Danks if they don’t give up quality young pitchers. I certainly wouldn’t have given Montero but must consider Man Ban and Betances. These other teams aren’t going to just give up proven starters. Makes me wonder if the Yanks are playing possum in the Yu Darvish sweepstakes. If not, Cash rolls the dice with what he has and it doesn’t seem like much.

• MannyGeee says:

Throwing that word ‘good’ around fast and loose a little there, no? Gio is not worth those kinds of pieces as centerpieces, let alone as a package…

Think about it, if this was next year and there were more then CJ & Buehlre availible in the FA market, would you give up Montero/Dellin in a deal for Gio? let alone both?

19. MannyGeee says:

I’d make that trade if they include Dallas Braden’s mound in the deal… Not the pitcher, just his mound…. And his grandma.

20. Dicka24 says:

Am I the only one that thinks Gio Gonzalez is fairly overrated, or at least, overvalued? Would Gio be any better in the AL East/Yankee Stadium than would Edwin Jackson? Granted, I’m not a Jackson fan either, but my point is that I hope the Yankees don’t overpay for what will be maybe a middle of the rotation arm in NY. I want the Yankees to overpay for high end, front of the rotation arms, if they have to overpay at all. With the new CBA, prospects and the farm are going to be harder, and more important to develop. So if you’re going to trade your higher end chips, you better be damn sure about what you’re getting in return. I’m not sure about Gio reaching his assumed ceiling personally.

21. Andy says:

R
    system is better than junk that other teams r offering be pattient cashmam n