Dec

Yankees, Jones haven’t made much progress on new deal

Via Mark Feinsand, the Yankees and Andruw Jones haven’t made much progress towards a new contract for 2012 yet, though both sides are interested in a reunion and have stayed in touch. Some other clubs have expresses interest in the outfielder, possibly even those darned Red Sox.

Brian Cashman said during the Winter Meetings that pitching was the priority and the bench would have to wait, though it wouldn’t be a surprise if Jones was looking to sign relatively soon. He was beastly off the bench last season, especially against lefties, and it was basically a repeat of his 2010 season. I’m not at all concerned that it was a fluke. Considering that the backup option is someone like Justin Maxwell, it would behoove the Yankees to get Andruw back on board as soon as possible.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Behind Enemy Lines says:

Oof. I will be mighty angry if Andruw is hitting against CC. There’s exactly no reason they can’t get this done. Pay the man for two years at a nice raise. He’ll be worth between 1 and 2 WAR over that time. He’s a nice, insurance policy. If he sucks it’s not terrible to eat.

• OldYanksFan says:

I’m sure Jones is waiting to see if someone will give him a regular gig. You want Jones in our OF 140+ games instead of Gritner? I’m sure he will sign with us down the road, if he can’t find full time work.

2. Behind Enemy Lines says:

Andruuuuw has been worth 3 bWAR and 3.7 fWAR over the last three years in part-time duty. Pay the man.

• Jamey says:

I’ll second that. It has been something lacking on The Yankees since the 96-01 team disbanded. Granted the everyday lineup boasted more power than their championship predecessors, but guys like Strawberry, Chili Davis, Glenallen Hill were more than helpful. They make pinch hitting & running easier to do & also just the general “shake things up” during slumps. That is a hard role to transition into, case in point 2011 Jorge Posada. So I think when you find a veteran that can adjust to the role, and in Jones’ case still give you pretty solid defense in the OF, he’s worth a reasonable raise. Having said that, Scott Boras is involved so the “reasonable” part of that may be a big sticking point.

3. CJ says:

It makes sense to wait on andruw if they are going after cespedes.

4. Jamey says:

“Brian Cashman said during the Winter Meetings that pitching was the priority…” CLEARLY.

5. Rai; says:

in other news, the New York Yankees are interested in Roy Oswalt

6. Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

It’d be great to have him back. Not losing sleep over the thought of not having him back. I agree with the gameplan of pitching first.

7. AndrewMartino says:

According to SI’s John Heyman, the New York Yankees have acquired SP Jair Jurrjens for SS Eduardo Nunez, RF Brett Gardner, and SP Dellin Betances.

8. Upstate Yanks Fan says:

Mike,

You dont think YC would be ready after a couple months in AAA?

9. Guest says:

Haha, I knew that guy was a troll when I saw “RF” Brett Garnder

10. John says:

Haha, I knew that guy was a troll when I saw “RF” Brett Gardner.

11. John says:

Sorry about the double post..my phone was acting up..not only did it send as guest I also managed to misspell Gardner lol

12. Ted Nelson says:

Maybe not, but I would imagine that Jones is looking for a starting job or at least an official platoon situation. It might behoove him to wait out higher profile options like Carlos Beltran to see what his options are. If there are still 5 teams looking at Beltran right now, that might be four more suitors for Jones once Beltran signs. If his options are non-contenders in (whatever he considers to be) crappy cities maybe he prefers to be the Yankees’ 4th OF. If he gets a better chance at playing time, can’t fault him for taking it.

I do not see Boras letting Jones sign a reasonable deal before Beltran signs.

13. CJ says:

I like the conor Jackson to a minor league deal insurance policy for bench no risk