Jan

Open Thread: 2000 ALCS Game Four

In the comments of last night’s open thread, a few people got to talking about Game Four of the 2000 ALCS, Roger Clemens’ shining moment in pinstripes. The Yankees were up two games to one in the series (for some reason I always think they were down two games to one), and … well … you know what happened next. If you don’t, watch the video. Andy Pettitte‘s masterpiece in Game Five of the 1996 World Series is still the gold standard for me as far as great playoff performances, but Rocket’s performance against the Mariners is right up there.

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. All five hockey and basketball locals are in action, so there’s plenty of ways to occupy yourself tonight. Talk about whatever you like, anything goes.

Categories : Open Thread

1. JFH says:

i forgot how dominant he was in that start. he blew them away.

2. Monterowasdinero says:

ARod striking out twice in the post season? Shocking.

Seriously, that 15K game will be mentioned again this year when Pineda threatens it on several occasions.

3. RichYF says:

#3 behind Larsen and McNally. Not too shabby. Smoltz actually outpitched Pettitte in that ’96 WS game.

4. Chrisis says:

That was one manly fistpump

5. Soriano Is A Liar says:

3.70 ERA was the second lowest of the year, is that correct? Pitching really has come back around…

• DZ says:

I checked like 5 times to make sure I heard that right… there’s no way that could be right though

• Colin says:

it is. Pedro led with 1.74 Clemens was 2nd at 3.70, followed by Mussina and Sirotka at 3.79 and Bartolo at 3.88. They were the only ones under 4 ERA.

Shows just how good Pedro was and how juiced everyone was

6. Countryclub says:

And then he backed it up with another gem in the WS. 2 monster starts.

7. eyerishyank says:

Best big game start I’ve ever seen. Loved Andy’s game 5 96 start, but this was more dominating and he finished it off.

• eyerishyank says:

Also, not in the highlights, but if you remember he knocked Arod down in the first inning in a big spot and glared at him. Game over after that

• Steve (different one) says:

It was that stare down that convinced Arod to start juicing that winter…it said “hey scrawny, want to be a big man like me? Maybe play for the Yankees one day? Call me, i’ll hook you up”

8. Steve (different one) says:

Sterling said he was at 91 pitches through 5 2/3 and he finishd the game? Whoah

• Colin says:

138 pitches at the end. Think Girardi would let CC do that if he was having that kinda game? Cant see anybody else on the Yanks throwing that much.

• Grit for Brains says:

Your definitely right CC would be the only one to sniff that. I don’t know what his pitch count after 8 was but I think it would be let him start the 9th, if anyone gets on it’s hit the showers

9. E says:

He will always be one of my favorite players. The memories will be outings such as this

10. Favrest says:

Why didn’t he take any steroids in 2007?

11. Peteobe says:

Yes, Clemens threw at ARods head twice in the first inning…ARods had a three run homer early in game 6, which the Yanks overcame later with David Justice’s dramatic homer.

12. Nightwing says:

Funny how Clemens did the most disgusting thing in that same postseason.
    You know what I’m talking about. Game 2 of the WS.
    Lost all respect for the guy after that.

• Thomas Cassidy says:

That was an accident. If you read up on what the players say about it, clearly he didn’t mean it. He was just so juiced up and filled with testosterone he probably couldn’t help it. That and rubbing Icy-Hot or whatever on his balls.

13. Monterowasdinero says:

What’s the most K’s Pineda had in one game last year?

14. ADam says:

I remember breaking up with my girlfriend in the 12 grade outside of the Stop And Shop in Poughkeepsie to go watch this game instead of go see some awful J-Lo movie… Best decision of my life…

15. Craig says:

Cashman is “staying” with AJ Burnett according to ESPN NY.

16. Bo Knows says:

I was looking at video of extremely tall pitchers with good control like CC, Pineda, Doc, Josh Johnson, Randy Johnson, etc and then played each one next to Dellin Betances during his delivery.

I’m not a pitch coach but Betances back leg completely folds under him unlike those who I mentioned above, they keep their back legs fairly straight and stay tall. I’m thinking that back leg might be the reason Betances has problems truly commanding his fastball, you would think someone would have noticed and tried to correct such an obvious flaw, hell it might even give him a little more jolt to his fastball.

17. IVoted4Kodos says:

Interesting stuff from Tex: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yo.....ion-bunter

What are the odds he follows through with this? I understand why he would be hesitant to bunt or try to poke the ball through the left side, but if he can go that way just often enough to keep defenses honest, it’d have to be good for his production.

18. Pat D says:

So Jim Bowden has an article with 5 trades to improve contenders. He says the Yankees should trade Betances and Romine to the Dodgers for Andre Ethier, contingent upon Ethier signing a long-term deal.

Now, a few years ago I think I’d do that deal in a heartbeat. Now I’m not so sure, because of Ethier’s splits, defensive limitations, and the whole trying to cut the payroll stuff.

What say everyone else?

• Thomas Cassidy says:

No need for a 10M a year player to platoon in the outfield when the Yankees are giving up two of their top prospects. I like Ethier, but he can’t stay healthy.

• Mike E says:

Andre Ethier is overrated. He’s somewhat injury prone, a terrible defender, and really not that spectacular of a hitter for the corner outfield. Why would the Yankees trade two important pieces for a guy that is arguable inferior to who he’d replace in Nick Swisher?

• CJ says:

Deal! Eithier will be a beast in Yankee Stadium 30 hr easy batting after Tex and before Swish. He’s a gold glove OF, I know there have been bad examples in the past he’s not one of them. He may not be Dave Parker but he’s not bad defensively.

• CJ says:

Salary wise swisher + either is cheaper than Prince defensively he’s a gold glove winner. I think YS plus Yankee lineup is +.100 OPS. Play RF get rest at DH with Swisher. You need plus production from DH position.

19. AaronGuielWithASmile says:

I like Pettitte infinitely more than Clemens, but I’d take Rocket’s game 4 over Pettitte’s game 5.

Lest we forget, the Mariners’ only hit ricocheted off Tino’s glove. If he finds a way to snare it, then we’d probably be talking about this game as the greatest pitching performance in the history of baseball.

20. Pinstripes in Cali says:

Y’all see that Dustin Moseley just got over $2m from the Padres? I thought that guy was easily on a par with Sergio Mitre as most obnoxiously bad trashheap pitcher the Yanks have had over the past 2 years. $2m… seriously? Because he can pitch decently against the worst offenses in baseball (bar the Rangers, of course)?

• Thomas Cassidy says:

Moseley isn’t a bad pitcher if he can stay healthy. 2M isn’t a lot. Phil Hughes makes more than him.

• Pinstripes in Cali says:

.5 WAR last year. Two seasons of negative WAR. The only sub-4.00 ERA he’s had was facing the anemic NL West. He was just so execrable with the Yanks, I can’t see any team wanting him. I know I know, clouded judgment. I blame the whiskey.

• RetroRob says:

I was shocked. His 3.30 ERA was luck and pitching in the NL, NL West and Petco. So has shoulder surgery and then they pay him two million? Crazy.

Mitre should pray to be traded to the Padres.

21. CJ says:

The burning question is what bat can yanks get for
    Betances OR Hughes (not both)+ Romine OR Adams + 2 of phelps, Warren, Mitchell?
    I would discuss Mason Williams Laird, Joseph available throw ins
    What players could you get for some combination?