Jan

Open Thread: MLB Network on Posada’s Career

I’ve been on a Jorge Posada kick lately because of his retirement, which is why I’m posting this MLB Network video looking back at his career. This Clubhouse Confidential clip about his Hall of Fame chances is worth the watch as well. I was expecting, and really hoping Posada would retire this winter because we knew the Yankees weren’t going to bring him back and I honestly didn’t want to see him wear another team’s uniform, but it’ll still take some getting used to when he’s not around next year. Kinda sucks.

* * *

Here is tonight’s open thread. Both the Knicks and Nets are playing, but all the hockey locals will be off until next week for the All-Star break. Talk about anything you like here (but politics, that gets messy), go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Ethan says:

Hey are there any walking dead fans out there? If you are thinking of starting to watch it SPOILERS BELOW BEWARE!

My friend just started watching the show and I watched the first episode of season 1 with him today. At the end we see a helicopter in the reflection of the building, which I believe to have been real (not imagined by rick). He never mentions it again through season 1 and season 2 (if i remember correctly). Yet they frequently seem to think they are the only ones left and that there is no organized effort to fighting the zombies (it did look like a military helicopter). It’s been bugging me all day as to why rick failed to bring it up in those many conversations. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas as to either whose it was, where it was going or why the writers left it out?

• Stan Lee says:

It was flying over head at the end of the shooting in the mid season finale of season 2. You can catch a brief glimpse of it in the top left corner. So there will be more on it.

• Ethan says:

It’s also there at the end of the first episode of season 1. When rick is first in Atlanta he sees it on the horse, turns a corner in the street and runs into all the zombies.

• Ethan says:

I just watched that scene again, didn’t see a helicopter at all. When was it in the scene?

2. Steve S. says:

Also on MLBN, CC Sabathia was just asked “Who’s your worst-dressed teammate?” and he answered “Phil Hughes”.

Damn. That phucking Phil can’t do anything right lately.

3. Overrated Packers says:

Its all relative to the size of your steeple

4. Steve S. says:

Let’s see if this gets any traction.

Post the most interesting thing you read today. Here’s mine:

5. Foghorn Leghorn says:

so, Lee Harvey Oswalt doesn’t want to pitch in Boston…next up edwin jackson!

6. Tyrone Sharpton says:

I will always remember Posada for the fact that he pissed on his own hands. Imagine giving that guy a handshake with urine and semen on that palm…gross

7. Foghorn Leghorn says:

so what is this news about the Pats cheating again with the number of downs?

8. Bob says:

Yankees should send AJ Burnett + Cash to the Indians for Travis Hafner.

9. Steve S. says:

Dear Ben Cherington:

Please, pretty please sign Edwin Jackson. Pretty pretty pretty please cross my heart and hope to die.

Yours truly, Steve.

• CMP says:

Why is that?

The guy has been a 3.6, 3.8 and 3.8 WAR player the last 3 seasons. The Yankees would do cartwheels if Kuroda or Pineda gave the Yankees a season like that in 2012.

• Steve S. says:

I’m not a fan, and I think a patient team like the Yanks will have their way with him. He’s never pitched up to his stuff in terms of K%, has a WHIP that’s been climbing annually and topped out at 1.44 last year. That’s just ugly. Sometimes a career-high .330 BABIP is a sign of bad luck. But when its matched by a career high LD% that tells me he was getting his brains beaten. Does the fact that he’s been on 4 teams in the past two years send up a warning flag for you?

• CMP says:

I never said he was Cy Young but as a 4th starter which is what he’d be in Boston, he’s more than adequate and far superior to their other options of Aceves, Bard and Padilla.

• Plank says:

No. Why would it? Cliff Lee was on 4 teams in 2 years, too.

• CMP says:

Thank you.

• Steve S. says:

…for posting the most absurd thing you’ve read all day? As if Cliff Lee and Edwin Jackson are comparable as pitchers, or the reasons for dealing them were similar.

• CMP says:

The most absurd thing I read all day was someone begging the Red Sox GM to sign a quality starting pitcher who has good stuff and is only 28 years old to be their 4th starter.

• Plank says:

Any player being traded 3 times in 2 years as they approach free agency throws up absolutely no red flags for me. You implied that it does for you, then you say I’m making an unfair comparison between Jackson and Lee.

I used Lee to show that the number of times a player is traded shouldn’t be a warning sign, it’s just something that happens in the era of arbitration and free agency. You seem to think I’m drawing comparisons based on their ability.

I was just bringing up a counterexample to show that players can get traded 3 times in 2 years without it throwing up red flags.

• Steve H says:

Luckily CC was only on 3 teams in 2 years or we’d have some serious question marks.

• radnom says:

If they actually get him on a one year deal as rumored that would be an *amazing* deal for them. Everything you said is a solid argument as to why he wasn’t worth a big commitment, but the guy is still a very good picture, much better than a typical guy who would sign a 1yr deal.

But if Prince Fielder taught us anything its not to count Boras out. I think Jackson goes for a longer deal somewhere else.

• Foghorn Leghorn says:

cherington was on the radio today…dude sounds like a puppet. the radio guys were peppering him with questions about the off season moves and he just kept talking in circles.

you have to admit..some of those moves are head scratchers. Trade away both of your SS options from last year, and fill that hole with two utility players. And then you have the hole fill two rotation spots with releivers.

i know they’ll be decent, but it is rather perplexing.

• Bo Knows says:

I bet that’s exactly what Boston’s ownership wanted

• radnom says:

Its not like he randomly decided to make Bard a starter, Bard came to him. And Aceves both has experience starting and is a better pitcher than many of their 5th starter options. I would have him competing for a rotation spot too.

Lowrie wasn’t really a SS option anymore and its not fair to judge the Scutaro trade just yet, not until the offseason shakes out and we learn if they get a starting pitcher. It was obviously a salary dump, which reveals there is a clear budget and they were right up against it. If trading him allows them to sign Ross and Oswalt (or Jackson on a 1 year deal) then I think there can be little argument that they are a better team having made the trade.

• MannyGeee says:

I smell a rat… I am not buying that Scutaro (a servicable SS with a reasonable salary) was strictly a salary dump by the second richest team in the league with their own network and pink ball caps all over the world…

Something else is abreast, even Cherrington can’t be this shortsighted.

• MannyGeee says:

Gonna be an absolute disaster. Bright side is we can get Aceves back when they get Lackey back from his labia sprain next season and there’s a rotation logjam