Jan

Open Thread: Roger Clemens

It was another tough day of computer problems here, but I think I got it all sorted out. Thankfully I didn’t have any hardware problems, but apparently part of my operating system was corrupt. No idea how that happened, but I sincerely hope it never happens again.

Anyway, the video above is from this past Saturday, and features a 49-year-old Roger Clemens throwing a perfect inning in the Texas alumni game. He struck out two and got a fly ball, and that split sure does look pretty nasty. Clemens goes on to talk about the Hall of Fame and how much it would mean to be inducted, but I didn’t really bother to listen. You’re more than welcome to, however. Once you’ve done that, use this as your open thread. None of the hockey or basketball locals are in action tonight, so you’re on your own for entertainment.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Dela G says:

i was wondering if this would get any play here. Huge news in austin that his mechanics are still perfect. Incredible. I bet he was still throwing 90

2. Steve H says:

Probably better than Aaron Cook and Padilla.

3. Matt DiBari says:

He looks better than AJ Burnett

4. CJ says:

I wish we could get some leaked names of dh trade candidates just for discussion.
    BleacherReport did a speculative piece (I know they are not a favorable or credible source). For discussion purposes they mentioned Alex Gordon, think KC would trade him? And Stephen Drew, never heard him mentioned, does he make sense for Yankees?

5. CMP says:

That looked more like Bartolo Colon than Clemens. I think he might want to consider ordering a salad from time to time.

6. Thomas Cassidy says:

Yankees signed Manny Delcarmen. Not a bad MILB signing.

7. Jamey says:

I was never a big Clemens fan, but its pretty sad seeing him such an outcast from MLB. Its a shame his Red Sox years weren’t the peak of his steroid use, they’d be fighting to get him into Cooperstown EARLY if that were the case.

8. Ethan says:

Yanks signed Manny Delcarmen to a minor league contract. Thoughts?

• BK2ATL says:

Minor league deal. Between him, Ojakima, and the Cabral kid, maybe one will stick, like Luis Ayala. Or maybe one will be this year’s Mark Prior.

• CMP says:

The guy hasn’t even been decent since 2008. On a minor league contract, why not, but he had been losing velocity and effectiveness steadily for the last 3 years. I wouldn’t expect much.

On the other hand, it’s better than bringing back Mitre or Proctor.

• BK2ATL says:

Let’s just hope that Mitre lost those blackmail pics he had on Girardi….and Proctor??? Not sure what they were expecting out of him in MLB, much less AAA.

• Urban says:

Who said we won’t be soon reading about Mitre and Proctor coming to camp on a minor league contract?

Well, Proctor at least is in Korea, but Mitre is still there. Cashman slowly reaches for the phone: Get me Sergio on the phone. Watch this. I’m gonna mess with those RABers. And bring me some flys. I want to pick the wings off them.

• MannyGeee says:

Well, Proctor at least is in Korea, but Mitre is still there.

aint no mountain high enough, aint no valley low enough, aint no river wide enough, to keep me from gettin to you baby….

(To Mitre & Proctor, from Cash Daddy)

• CJ says:

Joel Sherman tweets manny delcarmen in a minor league deal while Ken Rosenthal tweets “serious talks” with Bill Hall. Are these guys serious? They are really earning their money.

9. Bob says:

I know no one like him anymore (for obvious reasons) but there will always be a soft spot in my heart for the rocket.

10. Dino Velvet says:

Is Rocket going into prison as a Yankee or Redsox?

11. Scully says:

You know, say what you want about him, but no one every said athletes needed to be humble. Clemens always felt like he accomplished what he accomplished and no one could take that away from him. I hated him as a kid prior to him being a Yankee, then hated that they traded David Wells for him (especially after his mediocre ’99 campaign), but he’s always been well spoken on interviews :D.

12. Nightwing says:

“…part of my operating system was corrupt.”

I work in a computer shop. This is actually a pretty common thing. Loads of people come in every day with this. It’s usually registry errors or malware. Stuff like that.
    The cool thing on the newer computers is that they come with a program that allows you to go back to factory new. You’ll lose all your stuff, but you won’t hafta shell out money for a new OS DVD and whatnot.
    Anyway, I’d backup as much stuff as ya can and as often as ya can. Never know when disaster might strike…

13. BK2ATL says:

Roger Clemens???

No real comment, other than I hope he eventually gets into the HOF, but chooses to wear a Boston cap in.

14. tony says:

Can someone please tell me why the Yanks are “In serious talk with Bill Hall” and not getting Chavey back?

15. Rebecca says:

You should all preorder this book. Just sayin’.

16. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Pat Burrell finishes his career with 2 career World Series rings and one career World Series hit.

17. eyerishyank says:

A few Clemens’ notes, and I understand I am in the minority here. As a Yankee I hated him in 1999- felt he was not a huge factor in the team winning. In that 2000 game against the Mariners, that all went away. What a performance, the best I’ve seen in a big spot in my lifetime. He also always showed a ton of respect for the guys here (while here) such as Posada, Jeter, Mo, etc.

Finally, in terms of the steroid stuff, I’m one that doesn’t care too much. But along the same lines, the guy is suing the guy accusing him for defamation of character and risking jail time to do so.

18. Joe says:

Can we please get some open threads reminding us of some of our favorite 80′s Yankees. I’m thinking Mike Pagliarulo, Andy Stankiewicz, or Andy Hawkins would be cool.

19. CMP says:

I was just on ESPN and saw the projected starting lineup for the A’s:

2B Jemile Weeks
    CF Coco Crisp
    LF Seth Smith
    DH OPEN
    3B Scott Sizemore
    RF Josh Reddick
    1B Brandon Allen
    C Kurt Suzuki
    SS Cliff Pennington

My first thought, to paraphrase Joe DiMaggio, was thank the good lord he made me a Yankee Fan.

• Mattchu12 says:

II think that Reddick will be better for Oakland than Bailey will be for Boston given that I figure Bard will be the closer by the All-Star break when they realize that Bard won’t very good as a starter, though they could Joba him and ruin him too. Who knows?

Either way, the only name there I like is Kurt Suzuki and he has really trailed off.

• Reggie C. says:

I like Jemile Weeks’s potential at the front of that line-up. He’s probably the second best fantasy play on that team if Crisp goes out and repeats that SB count from last season.

20. Jimmy Page says:

PREDICTION:

Micheal Pineda will be the Jason Piere Paul of the Yankees.

• CJ says:

Please tell me Pineda can do the JPP/Ozzie Smith back flips.
      Just in case you haven’t seen that, Pierre Paul YouTube backflips. Sick!

21. Foghirn Leghorn says:

So, what do you all think the cubbies should give up to the bosox for the Theo compensation? I say very little bit I can see bud forcing the cubs to give up
    Something big.

22. BK2ATL says:

C. Granderson on facing Pineda last yr: “He wasn’t intimidated by the Yankee lineup & that’s going 2 fare well 4 him coming to the AL East”

23. BK2ATL says:

One more…from Jim Callus of BaseballAmerica.com in a Q&A, his response on Cespedes….

“Cespedes would be an easy No. 1 prospect for any of the teams (Blue Jays, Cubs, Marlins, Phillies, Tigers, White Sox and Yankees) that J.P. mentioned. On my personal list of the game’s Top 50 Prospects in the Prospect Handbook, the first No. 1 prospect from those clubs was Tigers righthander Jacob Turner at No. 23. The others to make it were Blue Jays catcher Travis d’Arnaud (No. 26), Cubs outfielder Brett Jackson (No. 28), Marlins outfielder Christian Yelich (No. 33) and Yankees lefthander Manny Banuelos (No. 38), while righthanders Trevor May (Phillies) and Addison Reed (White Sox) missed the cut.

If Cespedes had signed, he would have ranked somewhere in the 10-15 range on my list. The only systems in which he wouldn’t be a slam-dunk No. 1 would be the Angels (Trout), Rays (Moore), Nationals (Harper), Rangers (Darvish), Mariners (Jesus Montero) and Orioles (Manny Machado).”

• Steve S. says:

Just one problem. He’s 26. Its really not fair to the prospects to be compared to someone 5-7 years older than you.

Check that. We think he’s 26. As we’ve seen with Carmona and Leo Nunez, sometimes people lie about these things.

• BK2ATL says:

I agree. Just passing along that info. BA is supposedly a great source for this kind of stuff. I have no idea.

I guess in their/his mind, other than age, Cespedes is no different than any other top prospect who haven’t had much MLB interaction.

24. RetroRob says:

RIP, Mr. Pitt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN8V6SYm164 (safe)

He was 77.

25. Plank says:

I’ve always thought Tyler Kepner had an eerie, macabre, sad familiarity. I finally realized why. He looks exactly like the dead body in Stand By Me.

I won’t link it since the spam filter will suck this up, but google image search Kepner and Stand By Me dead guy. It’s uncanny.

26. emcee says:

I remember when I was going to school in Austin, had to be 1990 or ’91, Clemens pitched the first inning of the Alumni Game. Calvin Murray, later of the San Francisco Giants, was a hot-shot freshman, had turned down a high draft selection by Cleveland as I recall, and his brother Kevin was QB at Texas A&M. Anyway, Murray was the leadoff hitter for Texas in the bottom of the first, and Clemens put him on his ass with a fastball at the bill of his hat on the first pitch.

• Dave says:

re: Anyway, Murray was the leadoff hitter for Texas in the bottom of the first, and Clemens put him on his ass with a fastball at the bill of his hat on the first pitch.

Wish I had a video of the first pitch!