Jan

Pineda speaks for first time since trade

Jesus Montero is finally in Seattle for his physical, meaning the four player trade that will bring Michael Pineda to the Yankees should become official within a day or two. Christian Red of The Daily News caught up with Pineda in the Dominican Republic recently, the first time the young right-hander has spoken publicly since the two sides agreed to the deal.

“It’s a tremendous team,” he said. “It’s very exciting for me … I’m not scared. I’m always focused, working very hard every day. I don’t think about anything else on game days. I’ve never pitched in New York or at Yankee Stadium, but I’m dying to. We’ll see what happens. I’m going to work very hard to do my job.” Pineda said he feels “good about [his] changeup,” and is well aware of the short porch in the right field at Yankee Stadium. “I’ll just keep it low. Keep it low and everything will be fine,” he said. Easier said than done, my friend. Check out the entire article, it’s worth your time.

Categories : Asides

1. George says:

I like the Kids mindset already. I hate Dominican players who grew up playing with Milk Carton for gloves and rocks for baseball. They never felt pressure before!

• easy boy says:

Can you explain this comment, because you really don’t make any sense. Also I don’t see what’s the need to make such a stupid remark.

• CANO FAN #1 says:

Hay George you suck mother fucker

• Platano Man says:

I bet that if you had to play with cartons growing up under a 95 degrees temperature everyday just to at least try to get signed some day you wouldn’t be making such a comment. This really highlights a problem with American society. Some people (not everybody) here in America think that other countries give you the same opportunities we get here in America. George you should take a trip to a third world country and stay there for a month and live like some of the natives there and then tell us how you feel about living without many of the amenities I’m sure you get here.

• Dale Mohorcic says:

I took the comment to mean that making millions of dollars to play baseball isn’t pressure. Being so poor that you can’t have proper baseball equipment is pressure. Maybe I’m naive, but it seems like a pretty harmless comment.

• DM says:

Yep. It was a compliment to those who come from that environment, not a shot at them.

• Yonatan says:

Exactly
          The comment was using SARCASM to indicate that
          growing up in such conditions
          is much more pressure than being payed millions
          to PLAY A GAME
          and easy boy – LIGHTEN UP

i could not believe this pathetic thread but had to comment

now how about some YANKEES comments about our improving rotation??

• Geo D says:

100% agree with Platano Man, this guy should be call stupid for this remark out of any proportion of any inteligency, good for you platano.

• Hector Inirio says:

Congrats if you grew up with GOLD GLOVES. Enjoy it! But please don´t HATE courage to learn playing baseball using “milk carton gloves”. It´s insane, unfair and disrespectful.

• manny says:

George Suck a dick bitch..

• manny says:

George Suck a d!CK..

• Bobbo says:

Thats’ funny…that is how Mariano Rivera grew up!! I think he handles pressure ok….ya think??

• VITICO says:

Hey George !!
      I think You are CORRECT !!
      The high honor Dominican youngters baseball players have is being soo impresive and talented in USA-MLB.. After all, they come from a tiny country with less than a population of 10 million..
      After USA MLB players, Dominican Republic follows as 2nd in amount of players in MLB..

• Joltinjoe says:

I agree. He should be a big help and a good addition to this staff.

• dan says:

yea those kids in the dominican playing with milk cartons, they make horrible major leaguers. like mariano rivera.

2. Tony says:

I’m interested to know how he feels about his fastball, knowing he feels, “food about his changeup”

• CJ says:

Yeah I’m worried about his weight now. When asked about his changeup he brings up food.
      But seriously, not meant to be a joke or insult in any way, how is his English? Enough to get through interviews or does he need an interpreter?

• Thomas Cassidy says:

He’s not that fat at all. He’s 6’7. Sabathia is about 320 and 6’7. Why aren’t you worried about his weight?

• Comfortably Numb says:

I’ve read that Pineda has been working hard on developing his English. It’s a work in progress, but the effort is there.

• CJ says:

I’m not going to question a player’s effort to learn English as a second language. Just wondering if interviews will be done through a translator. Kuroda too.

• T.O. Chris says:

Never seen Kuroda do an interview but I did see Pineda do one last year. He may have had a translator close by in case he needed help, but he was answering the questions in english. It was somewhat broken, but he can get by. He’ll probably be fluent in a year or two if he wants to be.

• FIPster Doofus says:

He’s pretty drink about it.

3. Robinson Tilapia says:

Can’t wait to see this kid on the mound and put the fanbase jitters behind us all.

4. Chris says:

Like what Pineda is saying…hopefully what he says carries to the field. I do have to ask, where has Jesus been the past week that it took him this long to get to Seattle for his physical. LOL

5. Gerald Williams says:

I like him!

6. Chrisis says:

“says Pineda, whose gold earring spelling his name sparkles in the late-evening sunlight.”

Is that as bad as your name tattooed on your forearm?

• Billion$Bullpen says:

Nope because you can take it off. Pretty bad thought. Maybe he has been drinking too much fermented sugar cane. When I saw that picture I laughed pretty good at seeing that earring. Something Deion Sanders would rock if he was around now.

7. Cy Pettitte says:

Dr. Cashman approves.

8. Steve S. says:

“I’ll just keep it low. Keep it low and everything will be fine,” he said.

Music to my ears. On a related note, we all tend to look at numbers in a vacuum. If you’re a pitcher who pitches his home games in Safeco, do you think you wouldn’t mind giving up a ton of fly balls? I wouldn’t. We’re better off looking at the skills, the talent level as a set of tools with which to work. This kid has as much as anyone in the game. It would be great if he develops a change, but if he settles on a cutter or curveball he still could be a beast in the rotation for years to come. I would like to ween him off that slider a bit, though. He’s already hurt his elbow once in 2009. The 5 years of team control don’t look as good if you lose 1-2 to TJ.

• Craig Maduro says:

He actually needs to keep it up and in against lefties. Guys like Ortiz will tee off on that low shit like Tiger Woods.

• Steve S. says:

Big Sloppy is old and off the juice, he can’t hit Pineda’s FB anymore. The young lion will eat the old one.

• Craig Maduro says:

We’ve been saying that for the past two years and the dude just won’t go away. Besides, there are plenty of other potent lefty bats that will eat up poorly placed low fastballs – and even some well placed ones. Keep that shit up and in.

I think I just called Ortiz by name because he was mentioned in the article.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Ortiz had a .405 wOBA last season. Like him or not, he’s still a beast.

• Steve (different one) says:

Yup, and if the sox hadn’t offered him arb, I wonder if he’d be getting fit for extra large pinstripes right about now….

• T.O. Chris says:

All his pitch charts show that’s exactly what he does, bring the ball up and in to lefties, that is. For a guy who is so young and throws so hard he really does have an advanced idea of how to pitch. He doesn’t just go out and throw cheese, he knows where to throw pitches to certain hitters.

9. Steve S. says:

On a related note, NJ.com ran an old interview Marc Newman gave about the reservations the team had on Montero. Some of us paid attention to this stuff, but most fans dismissed it at the time.

• DM says:

I didn’t. I mentioned it all during the season when the chant around here was “Call him up! Call him up!” to reward a bored, big-headed prospect who’d rather whine that Nunez is in the majors before him than hit .325 and force his way up himself.

• Steve S. says:

I don’t think anyone could argue he handled it well. Part of reaching your ceiling is often a function of character, work ethic, making adjustments which require listening to your coaches. The last highly-touted bat that was suspended (Tabata) was traded to the Pirates, and never became the player people thought he would be. I don’t know if Montero had similar issues, but Newman clearly was calling him out.

• DM says:

Yep. I even mentioned the Tabata comparison at the time. He was compared to a young Manny Ramirez bat-wise before his problems at AA. Like Montero, he’s a raw, aggressive, see-the-ball-hit-the-ball type. But maximizing that ability is a whole other topic. The projected power hasn’t come for Tabata, but at least he can play defense and run a little as well.

• Steve (different one) says:

The issue with Tabata is that he is most likely several years older than we thought when he was a prospect. I say this because there have been whispers about it for years, and then Keith Law said in a chat a few weeks ago that he knows someone who has seen his passport, or something like that. We were all waiting for his power because we thought he was younger…

• Billion$Bullpen says:

Please do not read Newman’s pontificating as a quote from Montero. I am starting to notice a tad bit of what goes on with the Boston writers and the Red Sox starting to happen with the Yankees and some of the NY writers.

Access is paramount to “reporters” and “writers” now. Look at the boobs on the national scene like Heyman who do the same thing by with the agents.

Throwing Montero under the bus now is a weak move. I saw no signs of immaturity, but I have no direct access obviously. What 22 kid is totally mature? We got a guy signed to an almost 90 mill contract that runs around putting shaving cream pies in peoples face, thats his major contribution to the team the last two years. Newman needs to STFU and go find us a replacement for Montero and developing some more pitching.

• bk says:

I don’t see the Yankees trashing Monetro one bit. Actually, cashman said that if pineda doesnt become an ace (contingent on his changeup developing), then the Yankees would have lost the trade.

• T.O. Chris says:

I remember bringing up Hanley Ramirez after the “read the riot act” incident in 2010. I don’t think it’s nearly as bad as Hanley was, but that was certainly one of the reasons the Red Sox were comfortable trading him for Beckett. He pissed off quite a few young guys in the system being a diva who later went on to be staples on the major league roster, like Lester and Pedroia.

10. DM says:

When Pineda has to hit in inter-league play, I bet he runs harder to first than Montero — if he makes contact.

• Craig Maduro says:

I want all Yankees pitchers taking the Cliff Lee approach when “running” to first base.

Somebody please reply to this with the video of Cliff Lee taking two steps down the first base line before making the U-turn back to the dugout.

Pitchers have no business hitting. Lay your bunt down and then jog down the line.

• DM says:

Of course — but you get my real meaning.

• Craig Maduro says:

Yea.

To be fair though, the list of players that run hard to first base is a fraction of the list of players that don’t. Kind of weak to knock Montero for that of all things.

• DM says:

Hmmm… At age 22 as a rookie? Vets, maybe. Rookies, no way. I didn’t say run fast — just hard.

• Craig Maduro says:

You could have a point there, but still, why is that a part of the game subject to a double standard? If a rookie has to run hard to first base, how hard is it for a vet to run hard to first base? Shit, they’re the ones getting paid big money, they should be the ones earning it with extra effort.

• DM says:

I agree completely. I was just making the observation. Yankee fans adored Paul “The Warrior” ONeill, but he didn’t bust it to first base a lot. Too busy being angry that he hit a ground ball to a defender. Jeter does though, as do most Yankees now.

• Billion$Bullpen says:

I personally found Paulie pretty annoying quite a bit of the time and you are right he did in fact laze around from time to time. People love Paulie because we won when he was here. I also really liked Paulie bat and his play in the field was pretty solid compared to what we got in the late 80s and early 90s. To me he is almost horrible on YES. Kay IS horrible.

If we built an all time need to run it out to first team for the Yanks Paulie would at best be a reserve OF.

• DM says:

You’re right about PO on the air. He’s the worst. It’s just bad jokes and comments about what he’s eating. His commentary — when he bothers to give it — is standard and obvious. No interesting insights at all.

• Billion$Bullpen says:

Yeah it is always horrible jokes and talking about what he is eating. He can’t even put together a good story about his former team mates or himself during his playing days. He comes across as a douche, and I thought that was what Kay’s job was.

• Craig Maduro says:

Haha, exactly.

If I’m an AL manager or AL GM, this is what I’m instructing my starting pitchers to do on anything that isn’t a clear base hit. I hate interleague play and I hate the National League. Just implement the DH league-wide and be done with it.

• T.O. Chris says:

Couldn’t agree more. I live in Houston and follow the Astros as a secondary team, though with no where near the passion as the Yankees. But I will never forgive them for what happened to Wang.

• Joltinjoe says:

You know why the National League won’t implement the DH? Because the American League thought of it first and it works. They have always had a superiority complex in the NL and I don’t know why.

11. Steve (different one) says:

Still nervous about the trade, but just watching some of this guys highlights on MLB.com is getting me pretty excited. Dude is filthy. Fastball is electric and his break stuff is tight and sharp. I think I saw fb, slider, curve…though perhaps its a splitter. Either way, he’s not just throwing 2 pitches like AJ. If the change just becomes average it will be lethal.

• RetroRob says:

Rothschild should be able to help here. It’s just not likely to happen over night. Verlander came up to the majors with a changeup, and he even threw it at a decent rate, but it wasn’t all that great. He eventually changed the grip and turned it into more of a weapon. He also improved his slider tremendously on the MLB level. Pineda already has a knock-out slider, so whatever Rothschild can do to help his changeup should pay big dividends.

• Bo Knows says:

someone did an article just the other day, turns out that his change is a split-change

• Bo Knows says:

so thats probably what you saw

• Steve (different one) says:

Well there you go, thanks Bo. That said, and obviously highlights are going to show the best ones, but it looked like a good pitch to me. Of course, I’m just some schmuck in the Internet.

• T.O. Chris says:

I thought I saw him throw some pitches with a split grip last year. I kept pausing the TV and trying to slowly go forward and see the grip, but it was blurry and I could never tell for sure what the pitch was. I hope it is a split, a power pitcher like him could destroy with a good split.

12. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Moved him from Shortstop to the mound. Geez imagine a 6’7″ shortstop.

13. Rich in NJ says:

As much as I loathe the thinking behind the trade, I’ll root for Pineda and against Montero (I can’t root for non-Yankees; perhaps it’s a character flaw), and hope I’m proved wrong.

14. Hitman says:

“Pineda speaks for first time since trade”

A self imposed vow of silence? Clearly that’s not a good sign for us. Possible mental disorder.

15. LemdaGem says:

For both Kuroda & Pineda the learning curve for a starting pitcher in the AL East division may be a brutal wake-up call. The good news is that both of them have a healthy competitive nature and should not cave in after one bad outing and make it a season long series of embarrassments like the guy with the initials that aren’t CC.
    The good news is that they will be pitching with a sound defensive team behind them and an offense that on most days will give them a workable lead.
    Hughes or Burnett for the 5th Slot after Sabathia, Nova, Pineda & Kuroda ? Notice that ALL four of those guys end their last name with an “A”. Could that mean “ACE” this season ?

16. j matacola says:

nice wording there cano fan. it appears that you recieved an thesaurus for christmas or maybe chanuka. i am impressed with your vocabulary

17. Jakester says:

Montero proved he is a professional hitter during the last few weeks of last season. He also said all the right things. I really hope Poneda pans out for the Yankees. And, I’ve read that Campos (spelling?) may be the diamond in the rough of this trade. He may ultimately be better than Pineda. Let’s get #28 this season.

18. Kate D says:

I think it is obvious that for many in the DR baseball is the way out. Just like many young people of color in this country used to view the sport. I take my hat off to the many who play with their hearts and souls to bring prestige and wealth to their country. I just wish that the young men of talent in this country would wake up and recognize that baseball is a great career, and provides more longevity than other sports. My hats off the Pineda, and all I can say is GO YANKS!!!!!