Jan

Yankees designate Kevin Whelan for assigment

Via Jon Heyman, the Yankees have designated Kevin Whelan for assignment to create room on the 40-man roster for Hiroki Kuroda. The team hasn’t announce the signing yet, but this is a pretty clear indication that Kuroda passed his physical and everything’s a-okay.

Whelan, 28, was one of the first in line to go whenever a 40-man spot was needed, so this isn’t much of a surprise. The right-hander walked five of the ten men he faced in his big league cameo, but had a fine year in Triple-A: 3.24 FIP in 52.1 IP. His 2.4 BB/9 and 6.8 BB% in the minors were his first sub-5.5 BB/9 and a sub-14.0 BB% since 2006, so he’s always had significant control issues.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. ADam says:

Why not Melky Mesa? Whelan could have provided some BP depth this year no?

• J.R. says:

I’d guess because the Yankees have a ton of bullpen depth, I think Whelan was out of options and the Yankees don’t have many young OF in AA or above.

Mesa has a power upside that he has flashed in the past, if he can put it all together he could be in NY in 2014.

• Mike Axisa says:

The Yankees really aren’t in the position to cut a young outfielder. They have the pitching depth to let Whelan go.

2. PinedaColada says:

3. STONE COLD Austin Romine says:

Fun factoid Matt Desalvo was designated for assignment for… Kevin Whelan after the Sheffield trade.

I think… I’m probably wrong but I just wanted to get mr six pitches (pinstripes plus reference) name in a thread.

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

And thus the Gary Sheffield era ends.

5. Dicka24 says:

Too bad. From everything I’ve read about Whelan, or seen, he has real swing and miss stuff. I don’t think he clears waivers. Hope he gets a shot somewhere.

6. Yardisiak says:

Why not Pena? Isn’t he out of options anyway?