Jan

Yankees in a “holding pattern” with regards to pitching

Earlier today we learned that the Yankees will reevaluate their budget in the coming weeks, and tonight the Jons (Heyman and Morosi) report that the team is in a “holding pattern” with regards to its pitching search. They are still in touch with Edwin Jackson, Hiroki Kuroda, and Roy Oswalt, but they just don’t like the asking prices. They are not interested in Ryan Madson, however. So in other words … nothing new to report.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. JobaWockeeZ says:

If Levine is with this organization then Madson is always a possibility.

2. Plank says:

I’d want Jackson, Oswalt, Kuroda in that order. Does signing Jackson lose a draft pick?

• 28 this year says:

My order is the opposite only to avoid the long term commitment. I want someone from next year’s class and do not want another Soriano type contract preventing it.

• Plank says:

6 years for Jackson makes me hesitate.

Oswalt and Kuroda I would only want on a one year deal for the reasons you highlight. I trust Oswalt to give high quality innings more-so than Kuroda. I would rather have 120 IP and 120 ERA+ than 200 IP of 105 ERA+.

• Billion$Bullpen says:

“I think a long term commitment (4-5 years) to a 28 year old pitcher should be viewed as a good thing.”

Not when it is Jackson. I would same my pennies for Hamels, Cain, etc. We have a team good enough for a playoff spot as is. We bring in Kuroda or Oswalt we have better chances to do more. I would not sign either one of them for more than one year unless they gave us a huge discount for both year one and year two, and I do not see that happening.

I would also be ok with rocking with what we have right now and plan to open up the vaults next year to sign Cole H., and at that point dump AJ if somebody will pay half of the last year of his deal in his walk year.

• Dave203 says:

Jackson does not cost us a draft pick.

• Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

It’s just about the opposite order for me as well.

• CJ says:

Pass on all 3

3. Chuck says:

How about offering oswalt 3m guaranteed with an incentive that after his 5th win every win he acquires is 1 million dollars. And then pull him before 5 hahaha

4. Rainbow connection says:

Colon.

5. Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

I like the guys who’d sign for a year. I don’t like anything over two years for Jackson. Sorry.

6. Monteroisdinero says:

I think the Yanks are hoping someone in the AAA group steps up in ST and maybe one of them will come North with the varsity in April. If not, there is always July. CC/Nova/AJ/Freddy and then Phil + 5 guys get a shot at #5 and none of them cost million$$$$.

7. CJ says:

Madson to sign with Reds

8. Mickey S says:

Sign Oswalt and call it an offseason.

9. Rich in NJ says:

I wonder if part of the internal budget reassessment also involves upping how much they are willing to eat to trade AJ.

10. OXXbow says:

Sign Oswalt for one year as a bridge…

11. jayd808 says:

News out of Boston this evening is that the Sawks are closing in on Hiroki Kuroda.

12. jack knife says:

im with CJ pass on all of them promote the kids

13. The Manchine says:

Any chance Edwin would be interested in 3/$36ish deal? Madson/Boras just signed a 1yr deal. If Jackson lights it up, he could be due for a big deal at 31. Maybe a 5yr deal with opt out after 2??