Feb

Banuelos headlines Spring Training invitees

Pitchers and catchers are due to report in just ten days now, so the new season is right around the corner. The Yankees announced their list of Spring Training invitees on Wednesday, with 27 players getting called off the back fields. Everyone on the 40-man roster will be there as well, so the Yankees will have a total of 67 players in camp this year. They could always add a Raul Ibanez or Johnny Damon over the next few days, bumping the total up to 68. Here’s the full list of non-roster players coming to camp…

Right-Handed Pitchers

Jorge Vazquez
Jayson Nix

Outfielders
Colin Curtis
Cole Garner
Dewayne Wise

This will be the first big league Spring Training assignment for Burawa, Marshall, Stoneburner, Whitley, Cedeno (I think), Murphy, and Sanchez. They’re bringing all those catchers just because they need guys to catch bullpens and throwing sessions early in camp, not necessarily because they want to see them in games. I think we’re all excited to see Banuelos again after his strong showing last spring, but I’m really looking forward to seeing Miller and Marshall as well.

Categories : Spring Training

1. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Manuelito Baby!

2. BronxBomber98 says:

Hey Mike, why didn’t Betances get a big league invite?

3. Not sure what I’m missing but how come no mention of Bettances?

4. I got it. Betances is on the 40 man roster. He will be there.

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

I asked myself the same question and then figured it out. He’ll be there with bells on!

• CJ says:

I’m most interested to see Betances if he can harness his control in ST and make a strong showing I’d like to see him as 5th starter. The big power arms with CC and Pineda us tempting. He’s also old enough. The theory that tall pitchers have more moving parts in their mechanics leaves me hoping that fellow big men CC and Pineda may help Betances. Something may just click. As for Banuelos, he’s still young so I think he’s bound for a return to AAA. But what if Banuelos has a Spring ERA starts with a 1?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

That would have to be one hell of a strong showing. I’d sign up for that dilemma, however unlikely it may be.

5. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

I want to see Higgy make strides offensively this year. If he can be a .250 hitter he has a nice career in the Major Leagues ahead of him.

6. Raza says:

I really want to see if Adam Miller has anything left. He was a staple in BA’s top 100 a couple seasons ago and had insane stuff.

7. pat says:

I bet Marshall opens some eyes at camp this year a la Manny last year.

8. Joe says:

Some suprises not on to me. Russo. Corona. Mustellier. A few I’m forgetting but what happens with these guys? Will Russo make AAA or AA or even be cut ?

9. Manimal says:

Ok, lets be honest. This team would be the Mets.

10. Bronx Byte says:

At least 75% of invitees will be assigned to the minor league complex or released when the 1st cuts come in mid-March.
    Girardi and coaches can give just so much time without having players that will stick enough required playing time.

11. evan says:

i thought it was JAYSON nix

12. pete says:

manny delcarmen? wasn’t he good once?

13. jack knife says:

how does Marshall get an invite and Betances,Romanski,Hall, dont. This is BS. All three of them had better seasons last year and better stats. Guess stats dont matter any more

14. jack knife says:

correction just saw Betances He is on the 40 man My bad. But the other two especially being left handed. if they dont want them trade them

15. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Don’t worry guys, all the young fan favorites are just trade chips

16. jeremy says:

i know theyre young but im somewhat suprised mason williams cito culver and dante bichetter jr arent invited

17. Juke Early says:

Boy I hope I live long enough to see the BB’s throwing bee-bees in the Bronx…

18. Eric says:

Sad that Venditte’s not there. I know he’s not making the team, but he would have been fun to watch.

19. jack knife says:

IF THEY ARE TRADE CHIPS THEN TRADE THEM SO THEY CAN EXCEL WITH ANOTHER TEAM. YOU CNT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.YOU CANT KEEP THEM AND SAY THEY ARE NOT READY BUT YET NOT TRADE THEM CAUSE YOU THINK YOU NEED THEM. BS TRADE THEM LET THEM GO