Feb

A.J. opens college fund for McCutchen’s daughter in exchange for #34

No, this has nothing to do with a Yankees, but it’s a cool story and does involve two familiar names. According to Bill Brink, A.J. Burnett will open a college savings plan for Dan McCutchen’s unborn daughter in exchange for his jersey number, #34. “When a veteran comes in and takes a number, some of the guys usually get something,” said McCutchen, who went from the Yankees to Pittsburgh in the Xavier Nady/Damaso Marte trade back in 2008. “I know he has kids. He asked me what I wanted, I brought that up.”

Usually you hear stories about watches or fancy dinners or whatever, but bravo to McCutchen and Burnett for thinking outside the box. Obligatory Snark: I’m glad to see some of the money the Yankees are paying Burnett is going to a good cause.

Categories : Asides

1. JGS says:

Man, what a jerk.

Sincerely, ESPN New York

2. CANO FAN #1 says:

Nice

3. hogsmog says:

Ok so when I first read this I was thinking the OTHER McCutchen, and was freaking out that he had been in the Yankees system at one time.

4. Murderers' Row Boat says:

It’s a shame he couldn’t pitch in New York, AJ was one of the good guys in the game.

5. A.D. says:

How does that work with the whole switching numbers rules the MLB now has in place?

6. Rich in NJ says:

I hope it sets a precedent.

7. Manny's BanWagon says:

Before you start erecting statues of Burnett, he’s not paying for her college education, he put some money in a college fund for her which could pretty much be any amount. Considering he just stole $82.5 million from the Yankees, it’s not like he’ll ever have to make any sacrifices due to finances.

8. Fernando says:

Good stuff.

9. Mike says:

Mccutchen is a millionaire and there are likely many more millions in his future. This girl was always going to have the opportunity to go to college at no expense to her. It’s a nice gesture from both of them, but let’s not start dishing out the “saving orphans from a burning building” treatment.

debbiedowner.jpeg

10. kimonizer says:

Does that mean we should add McCutchen to a list of Yankees that the team paying to play somewhere else?

11. Total Dominication says:

Mccutchen wasn’t traded, Tabata was.

12. Monterowasdinero says:

It is a nice gesture but the amount of money is variable, who knows what terms were struck etc….. it would have been better/classier to keep it in house.

• whozat says:

McCutchen is the one who talked about it, probably when asked by a Pirates beat guy about giving his number to AJ.

So…how is it non-classy for the beneficiary of someone’s largesse to say “hey, so this guy did a cool thing. Wasn’t that cool?”

• Havok9120 says:

Well, obviously if MCCUTCHEN is the one talking, its classy. In that case, AJ is less classy for not making it clear that McCutchen didn’t hold the number at ransom.

13. Mick says:

Apparently AJ could discover the cure for cancer and some hater would still be pissed about a game he pitched against Kansas City in 2010.

14. Kiko Jones says:

Cool little story.

15. Robinson Tilapia says:

Classy as hell. Shockingly, my normally sob-story-loving wife just called it a good PR stunt. Somehow, she holds more of a grudge than I do.

16. Midland TX says:

Speaks just as well of McCutchen and his commitment to his family. Two years at MLB league minimum is nothing to sneeze at, but it’s not exactly enough to secure a family’s financial future either, especially with an unborn child on the way. Good for Daniel for passing up superficial stuff and speaking up for what will be important to his child’s future.

17. Monterowasdinero says:

It is a nice story but “opening up” a fund really tells nothing. I have “opened up” 3 of them and fully funded them. Maybe AJ will fully fund it up until college or maybe he put a few hundred bucks in instead of taking the McCutchens out to dinner.

• Havok9120 says:

Dude….you’re on record as saying that keeping it “in house” would be classier/better, but now you aren’t capable of feeling any warm feelings about it because you don’t know the gritty details?

Seriously?

• Monterowasdinero says:

You misinterpret my comment. I said it is a nice story and I have warm feelings about it but the devil is in the “gritty” details which i really don’t care about and….I side with Tilapia’s wife that it is a nice PR story.

• Havok9120 says:

I’ve misinterpreted only if the end result ISN’T that you’re unwilling to give AJ any credit or benefit of the doubt to the point where you will pick apart anything he does or says in order to make it as negative as possible.

And no, you aren’t being even handed. If this were a “nice PR story” regarding Jesus Montero we’d be hearing your case for his nomination for a Nobel Prize. I exaggerate for comedy of course….but not by much.

18. jsbrendog says:

::salutes mr burnett::

sir.

19. godfather says:

ajb was never accused of not trying…some of you dumbasses would count dimaggio’s outs during the streak; go root for the mets