Open Thread: 2/19 Camp NotesBy
The 2012 Yankees season officially started today when pitchers and catchers reported for duty in Tampa. All they did today was take physicals, and the first workout scheduled for tomorrow. Position players report on Friday. We’ve already recapped Brian Cashman’s meeting with the media, but Joe Girardi‘s session was pushed back to tomorrow because of travel issues. Here’s some miscellaneous notes from throughout the day…
- Frankie Cervelli is in camp and is 100% ready to go for baseball activities. He suffered his fourth concussion in seven years in September, but was medically cleared in November. Alex Rodriguez will be 100% ready to go once he reports as well. He had that experimental knee procedure in December. (David Waldstein)
- Joba Chamberlain threw off flat ground, and Cashman said they will play it safe as the right-hander rehabs from Tommy John surgery. They’re shooting for a June return, which is 12 months out from the operation. (Erik Boland & Marc Carig)
- What about Pedro Feliciano? “If he gets back for us, it would be toward September, most likely,” said Cashman. “His rehab is going well and I think he’s more optimistic, but he had a significant surgery that time-frame wise is going to cut it close.” (Chad Jennings)
- New uniform numbers: Michael Pineda will wear #35 and Hiroki Kuroda will wear #18 with Andruw Jones switching to #22. Number 20 was not assigned, unsurprisingly. (Anthony McCarron & Carig)
- Pineda’s locker is right next to CC Sabathia, which I’m sure is purely coincidental (nope). Manny Banuelos and Freddy Garcia are also nearby. A.J. Burnett‘s old locker now belongs to Hiroki Kuroda. (McCarron, Mark Feinsand & Erik Boland)
Here is your open thread for the evening. The Rangers, Devils, and Nets are all playing rare Sunday might games, so there are plenty of ways to entertain yourself before getting back to the grind in the morning. Talk about whatever you like here, anything goes.