Feb

Open Thread: 2/27 Camp Notes

"Are you sure this is a real photography studio? What did you say your name was again?" (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

In case you missed it earlier, Joe Girardi announced his rotation for the first few Spring Training games. Here’s the latest from Tampa on photo day…

Here is your open thread for the night. The Rangers are playing the Devils, but that’s it for local sports. Talk about whatever your heart desires here. Enjoy.

1. Tom Zig says:

Love the caption on that photo.

2. Stratman9652 says:

“Wait, why am I the only one taking photos in the crapper?”

3. Havok9120 says:

Definitely one of the best captions this sight has ever put out.

4. DERP says:

I wonder what is in the stall.

5. Burn Baby Burn says:

The past few open threads have had clever and funny quotes. Great job!

• Mike E says:

If Nova is the ace, I might make it as the fifth starter.

• IVoted4Kodos says:

Bleacher Report gets stupider every day.

• Jesse says:

The comment at the top says it best:

“What a stupid fucking article.”

• GardnergoesYardner says:

If that’s a senior writer, I don’t want to see who’s working on the bottom tier of writers.

As if it were an open ended question! Let’s just look at the article’s premise for a second. How the hell does comparing where CC was at Nova and Pineda’s age tell you ANYTHING about their current performances?

Although I do love the last line. “Did I hear someone say, “Phil Hughes”?

• Jesse says:

Here’s a gem from a non-senior writer.

• Mike E says:

Love how his excuse for Montero not doing this in Seattle is because Safeco is a pitcher’s park. In actuality it has an almost identical rightfield porch to Yankee Stadium. It ranked 13th in homerun rates despite one of the worst offensive teams in possibly the worst offensive league.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

The whole thought process of whoever wrote this article is moronic.

In New York, Montero would have been one of the greatest players who ever lived.

In Seattle? Just an average Jesus.

• Jesse says:

That’s just how it goes sometimes.

Just imagine if Mason Williams gets traded in a few years when he’s just about to be Major League ready…

In New York: He’s the next Willie Mays!

In city X: Eh, Mike Cameron is better.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

If they had just substituted the titled with “A Reflection on the Careers of Babe Ruth, Cal Ripken, and Derek Jeter.”, I think it would have been excellent.

6. Monterowasdinero says:

Let us all hope that Alex doesn’t end our season by striking out as he has done the last 2 years.

That would be sh____y.

7. CANO FAN #1 says:

My condolence to my guy and his family

8. Monterowasdinero says:

So ARod has offered his apt to Jeremy Lin. Now that would be insanity!

9. Bryan V says:

I’ve been turned down by Bleacher Report a few times, so logically that would mean my writing is awful. But I really don’t think it is. There is reason to question who the #2 starter is this season, but not the #1… for sure.

• Mike E says:

I like your writing!

• Tom Zig says:

You were turned down likely because you have more than 2 sentences per paragraph. In order to write for the bleacher report you need to write like this:

Hi my name is Tom.

I like baseball.

The Yankees are great.

The end.

• Mike E says:

5 reasons I like baseball.

It’s fun.

I enjoy it.

I have a good time when I watch it.

Sometimes they hit homeruns.

Strikeouts are cool!

Boom, add two pages of advertising and you have a 9 page slideshow.

• IVoted4Kodos says:

This is much better written and contains more well thought out points than anything I’ve ever seen on Bleacher Report.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

You guys make fun of it, but the sad thing is you’re not far off from what they actually do.

Typical Article: Why Ivan Nova will lead the team in wins
          1. He will improve from last year.
          2. He has a good offense.
          3. He will be in the majors for a full season.
          4. He won’t be sent down to the minors.
          5. Mariano is closing games for him.
          And there’s like 6 more.

The thing they don’t relaize is that their “analysis” is so general, it applies to every single player on the team!

• IVoted4Kodos says:

I once read an article there comparing Mickey Mantle to Jim Rice based on almost entirely on RBI totals.

Honestly, I would take being rejected by them as a compliment.

10. nsalem says:

Which Yankee whose primary position was catcher and had at least 1000 AB’s in a Yankee uniform had the highest slugging percentage and OPS in team history?

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Mike Stanley?

• nsalem says:

Yes. His lifetime numbers over 15 years were incredibly similar to Posada’s. Posada was 3 points better in BA and OBP and 16 points better in slugging percentage over their entire careers. Stanley was never considered for the HOF in fact I don’t think he was ever on the ballot. When the Yankees let him go to the Red Sox of all teams after the 1995 season some people complained, but he wasn’t exactly missed and the Yankees managed to do alright for the next couple of years with an offensively inferior but a defensively superior catcher.

11. Ethan says:

Mike you should have Photoshopped the picture. Take out the box and add a pair of feet and that picture would have had me dying.

12. Manny's BanWagon says:

For a second I thought that might be the studio in Fenway park but then I noticed that Arod wasn’t standing ankle deep in raw sewage.

13. Plank says:

PMR for shortstops.

Ouch. I suppose this could go in the article about players getting old, too.

14. Gonzo says:

Yadier is buying dinner! Wonder how much, if any, this impacts Russ.

• Tom says:

I think I may be in the minority, but while Yadier is a real good catcher, I think the Cards are going to regret this deal.

It’s paying him through his age 35 season – that’s pretty risky for what is being rumoered (5yr/14-15 per)

Great defensive catcher, but he had been a better than league average hitter exactly twice in his career. A career wRC of 88 isn’t bad for a catcher, but is 12% below overall league average worth 14-15mil even if you are a perennial gold glover?

15. Craig says:

When’s CC win his 200th career game? Slight chance he could do it this year, but if not, I’d say early May, 2013.

16. Alex says:

Why is A-Rod taking a photo in the bathroom? This is not sarcasm I am genuinly curious.