Feb

Open Thread: 2/28 Camp Notes

(REUTERS/Steve Nesius)

Here is the latest from Tampa…

• As always, Chad Jennings has the day’s pitching and hitting groups. Ivan Nova, David Robertson, Boone Logan and a bunch of minor leaguers/non-roster guys threw live batting practice while Rafael Soriano threw in the bullpen. Everyone but Austin Romine (back) and Robinson Cano (death in the family) hit.
  • David Aardsma was in camp for apparently the first time, and said he’s been throwing off flat ground at 90 feet. He’s eyeing a return after the All-Star break. [Bryan Hoch]
  • Brett Gardner and Dewayne Wise worked on their bunting in a drill added to the workout specifically for them. Hopefully Brett drops down a few more bunts for hits this season, he was markedly better at that in the second half last year. [Jennings]
  • Joe Girardi hinted that Cano is locked in as the #3 hitter with the rest of the lineup around him still to be determined, and also said that CC Sabathia and Hiroki Kuroda are the only starters guaranteed rotation spots. Yeah, right. [Jennings & George King]

Here is tonight’s open thread. The Islanders and Nets are playing, but feel free to talk about whatever you want here. Anything goes.

1. Joe Girardi … said that CC Sabathia and Hiroki Kuroda are the only starters guaranteed rotation spots. Yeah, right.

Clearly that means that the Yankees are forcing Pineda and Nova to fight for rotation spots! I mean, it says it in this headline, so it must be true!

• Johnny says:

Well, you know, there are so many other contenders for the rotation. Cory Wade, Boone Logan—all men that have #1 starter credentials. Girardi’s genius plan. Bulletproof. I hear Nick Swisher is contending as well. They’ll bring him back next year as a long-man/sixth starter type role with his 78mph high heat.

I hate it when there’s no real news. That’s when garbage like this comes up.

2. Monterowasdinero says:

Any news on Damon and my man Greg Golson?

The Seattle Times commented that Montero has looked good behind the plate in intrasquad contests, throwing out (the speedy-kidding) Miguel Olivo trying to steal second and saving a run on a ball in the dirt. He is drawing ever-growing crowds with his power displays in bp as well. Wedge likes him alot.

Good for You Jesus!

3. Craig says:

Apparently, Girardi alluded to swapping Granderson and Jeter in the line-up, too.

4. Kevin Winters says:

Quick question has anyone ever heard of Crowd Control Music in the Wiiliamsburg/Greenpoint section of Brooklyn, NY. A friend of mine was offered an internship but I wanted to make sure it wasn’t bs. I couldn’t find the place on google maps. The telephone number he was given is a 646 area code which is for a Manhattan number. The only thing I could find was their web site, twitter, and facebook page.

5. J.R. says:

Can anyone find a poll (other than http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/1.....nment-2013) about fan’s overall opinion on the DH? I’m having an argument with my friend about this and would love some help.

6. Johnny says:

So… is Johnny Damon going to find a place to play by the start of Spring Training games, or at least Opening Day? I haven’t heard of any interest in him from anyone unless I completely missed news on him getting picked up.

• Jon says:

I know there isnt really a place but i want him to sign with the royals would be really cool for him to finish his career and maybe get 3000 hits there

7. GardnergoesYardner says:

So, I ran out to get my copy of Baseball Prospectus 2012 today like the loser that I am.

This is my fifth year of buying the books, and there’s really no better player anaylsis book to read. It’s not dry at all (although some years are better than others) while using the sabermetrics we all know and love.

It’s great to just sit down one night with the Yankees on TV, RAB on my laptop, and Prospectus ready to read. I don’t see how it gets much better than that.

8. pistol pete says:

There is a way to get the left right balance Girardi is trying to get without batting Grandy leadoff. Bat Jeter Grandy ARod then Cano and Tex one thru five. It gives solid right left balance and protection for both Arod with Cano and Cano with Tex. Cano has plenty of power to bat fourth and will be the MVP in this lineup order. You could finish the lineup with Swisher Ibanez Martin and Gardner and have right left balance throughout. Vs leftys you would only have to change Jones for Ibanez. This lineup just might excite Arod and he’d get a ton of good pitches in front of Cano.

9. Plank says:

PMR for center fielders just came out and it’s not good for the Yankees or Curtis Granderson. He’s one of the worst rated CF in the game.

Melky Cabrera was dead last among regulars and Austin Jackson was a touch above average.

Jeter was also dead last among regulars at his position while Cano was rated one of the highest at his. I’m particularly curious about ARod’s numbers.

10. bonestock94 says:

I’d like to think I follow baseball and prospects pretty closely, but I had no freaking idea who Salvador Perez was until he signed that extension.

11. viridiana says:

Interesting story by Norm Alster on how Kirk Gibson was able to perform so well in late inning post-season baseball. Maybe Cash can connect Swish, Tex and A-Ro with Gibson and his guru.

12. CS Yankee says:

Grit is so fast in that picture above that you can see his tracks in front of him.

13. Havok9120 says:

Andy Pettitte threw BP today.

This makes me supremely content.

14. H.H. Pennypacker says:

Today’s headlines..

Girardi praises Varitek…

while…

Valentine pokes fun at the flip lay and Arod b/c Varitek pushed him.

Its going to be a fun season…

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I’m sure the Red Sox players are gonna love Valentine and his publicity seeking ways.

The guy is an Asshole with a capital A.

• Randy A. says:

He has been such an insufferable douche blow-hard, well, since forever but even more so now that he is in Boston.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

Is he even allowed to discount The Flip. I was under the impression that a person doubting The Flip was like a Christian doubting the Ten Commandments. You don’t even think about it, you just believe in it.

And didn’t Bobby V say Varitek was a man’s man? That makes Jeter akin to some kind of immortal being.

At least he believes in a rivalry, something Girardi and Francona steadfastly deny there is. (which kind of gets annoying)

• H.H. Pennypacker says:

The flip play may be overrated, but why bother referring to it. Varitek is such a man for leaving his full catcher’s gear on when confronting Alex.

It just seems odd to bring up those two events.

• JohnnyC says:

If Jeter made that play for a team he was managing, Valentine would still be genuflecting over it. And he still hates ARod for giving the Mets the bum’s rush and signing with the Rangers instead.

• Bo Knows says:

Only real men, start fights and never remove their face masks…and only real men get put in headlocks by Arod and drug back to home plate

15. Virgil Earp says:

Girardi finally changed his mind about Cano last season and it’s good to see he’ll have his best hitter in the 3 hole starting next year. Teixera should be 5th at best. Biggest disappointment of 2011 was Teixera.

CC, Kuroda, Pineda, Nova, Garcia are all guaranteed rotation spots. Joe is just saying that to keep Phil happy and make him think he’s got a shot to start.

16. Monterowasdinero says:

Cervelli looks upper body- thicker in that picture. Hitting the weights.

17. statboy yankopherson says:

brook lopez is BACK baby!

18. Yankonymous says:

I don’t like Cano hitting 3rd…because he doesn’t take a walk.

The 3rd place hitter on the Yankees stacked lineup is like a 2nd place hitter on other teams – a table setter for the lumber down the line (4-8).

Cano should be hitting 4th.

Won’t happen because of mystique and aura.

19. Midland TX says:

Please tell me the point of the drill depicted in the photograph is “Anyone who slides headfirst into first base will be beaten, shot, and DFA’d.”

20. Cuso says:

Finally, a true shot of Swisher. Look at the resentment on him!

He hates Gardener!

Get rid of this clubhouse cancer!