Open Thread: 2/29 Camp NotesBy
Here’s the latest from Tampa…
- Chad Jennings has the day’s pitching and hitting groups. Everyone except Austin Romine (back) and Robinson Cano (death in the family) hit while only non-roster players and minor leaguers threw live batting practice. Ivan Nova will throw a bullpen session tomorrow in advance of Saturday’s start against the Phillies, and every other big league pitcher not named Mariano Rivera and Rafael Soriano will throw to hitters.
- Speaking of Mo, he threw his second bullpen of the spring, roughly 30 pitches or so. He’ll do it again either Friday or Saturday. [Marc Carig]
- Infielders worked on the double play pivot and relay throws while Tony Pena brutalized catchers with infamous pitching machine drill. He essentially simulates wild pitches by having the pitching machine shoot the ball directly at home plate from like, 10-15 feet away. [David Waldstein & Carig]
- Russell Branyan is dealing with some back spasms, and it’s unclear how long he’ll be out. Kyle Higashioka hurt his shoulder during yesterday’s workout, though Joe Girardi said it should only be a few days. Nothing serious. [Mark Feinsand & Jennings]
- Non-Yankee Injury News: Apparently A.J. Burnett fouled a ball off his face during bunting drills today and is headed back to Pittsburgh for tests on his right eye. Hope everything’s okay. [AP via FOX]
- The Yankees are holding their annual team building exercise tomorrow afternoon, so today’s workout was the last full workout of Spring Training. The exhibition schedule starts on Friday. [Jennings]
Here is your open thread for the evening. The Knicks are the only local team in action, but you can talk about whatever your heart desires here. Go nuts.