Feb

Open Thread: Recapping Retro Week

One day Sam will get his own Retro Week entry. (Photo via CheckOutMyCards.com)

Retro Week was so much fun that we decided to extended it one extra day. I hope you folks enjoyed it as much as all of us here did, it’s amazing how much fun it can be to look way back in the past. In case you missed anything over the last seven days, here’s a recap of all the Retro Week posts…

Pitchers

Hitters

Miscellany

Once you’re done rereading all those posts, use this as your open thread. None of the hockey and basketball locals are in action, so you’re on your own tonight. Talk about whatever you like, enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

What about late 90′s week

2. vin says:

Great idea for a slow part of the offseason. Very enjoyable posts.

3. Nick says:

retro week will be fun in 10 years when you do a thing on Colin Curtis and Juan Miranda

4. Madefelice says:

I’m disappointed no one profiled Andy Hawkins. The worst Yankee pitcher I have ever seen. Close second is Rick Rhoden.

5. Brooklyn Ed says:

According to the Yes Network Yankees roster, Pineda will wear #35, Kurdoa #18, and Jones #22.

6. CS Yankee says:

So with Oakland getting YoCep for 4/36M$ (unbelievable), they now have…
    YC…4/36
    Coco…2/14 plus option
    Seth Smith…1/2.4M$
    Josh Reddick…cheap & controlable for 5 more years
    plus 3 decent-fairly regarded prospects (Carter, Taylor & Cowgill)

can we propose the following…
    A) Bucs get AJ & two checks (dated a year apart) for 10M$ each
    B) A’s get 1-2 role players with a possible prospect & save a couple mil on…
    c) LHB-DH/RF Seth Smith to the Yankees

7. brent says:

I followed the yankees farm system back then and Sam Militello was THE thing. His first two years after being drafted were INSANELY good. Like sub 1.0 better than a k per ip and sub 2.0 era good. I used to complain to my dad that they hadn’t brought him up and he would say “A) he was just drafted and B) when a kid has stats like that in the minors and isn’t in the majors its because he’s a junk baller with one great pitch that minor league guys can’t figure out.”

He was right of course but still Militello had pretty good success as a real young guy out of the gate. Got hurt in his second year AND NEVER PITCHED AGAIN. I don’t get it. Everyone gets another shot but Militello just dissapeared. I would greatly enjoy a post about what happened to him. Even his wikipedia page gives no clue other than that he coachs in college now and had a brief MiLB coaching career in the Indians system. Wha happened???

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I was shocked at seeing he’s 43 now until I realized I’ve already lived through “Dave Eiland – Pitching Coach.”

• brent says:

ha. last night I said to my wife “you know you’re old when the players you loved growing up now have kids that have already washed out of pro baseball.”

Every year in the draft I see guys who make me feel old.

What Delino Deshields has a KID playing pro ball?

Don Mattinglys KID is washed up?

etc etc.

8. brent says:

And yeah Seth Smith makes perfect sense for this team now. I’d think with the roster crunch they have there that say Phelps and a RP arm should do it. Seems to me its time to move one of Phelps Warren for a useful piece.

• Thomas Cassidy says:

Seth Smith already got traded to the A’s.

• CJ says:

I like the Seth Smith idea. Maybe cash can negotiate a Pitt prospect beane likes.

• Chuck M says:

Why does everybody think the current Pirates regime is stupid? They are not going to give up a precious prospect (they can’t get free agents, prospects are all they’ve got) for AJ Burnett.

Believe me – if they didn’t offer Maholm a contract this year (who’s a home-grown prospect with Pittsburgh roots), they’re not going to give an actual prospect for AJ. Maybe a AA longman, but that’s about it.

9. Slu says:

I posted this in the Steve Howe thread, but I am going to post it again. I loved the retro series. Thanks guys. Different stuff like this is what keeps me coming back here every day. I also grew up in the 80s so that helps!

Someone said it best in another thread. I am glad I grew up on those Yankees teams. After such a long drought, 1995 was awesome and really painful at the same time. I felt bad for Donnie since I knew it was the end. But the joy of 1996 is something I’ll never forget. It kinda made the late 80s and early 90s worth it.

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

+1 Brutter
      The ’96 post season was my favorite post season ever! Maybe 2001 would have surpassed it if the bottom of the 9th of Game 7 had gone differently.

• brent says:

yeah. My family had season tickets from 1979 through 1995. How’s that for shitty?

Want another fun/sad fact from those years?

Claudell Washington had a turn as my favorite yankee.

Another one?

I was PSYCHED about the additon of Rick Rhoden. totally psyched. I remember telling my mets fan best friend that Rhoden was exactly what the yankees needed to get them over the hump.

10. Mike Myers says:

I cant wait until AJ is on retro week in 15 years. Everyone that reads it will immediately throw up in their respective mouths.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yup, 15 years from now there will be an “AJ Burnett Open Thread,” except everyone will claim they only became a fan five years ago.

11. Stuck in Albany says:

Sam Milletello was amazing until he got hurt. I remember when he came up and just had a feel for pitching in the big leagues. Look at his minor league numbers. The guy had incredible potential. Darn shame.

12. James says:

So Sherman says the Yanks would get two “blah” prospects for AJ. What is “blah”? Top ten? Typical organizational players? Live bodies?

Anybody care to speculate?

Three months ago I wouldn’t have thought anybody would pay $10-13 million for AJ, but here we are, so I have no idea what kind of return to expect.

13. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Always liked Sam. His full name was Salvatore, which is a family name. In fact, when my dad was bedridden and close to passing, I remember watching him pitch on the hospital TV with my day, who was named Sal. A special moment I won’t forget.

14. Elmgrovegnome says:

Thanks for posting the card Mike. I will be looking forward to that story one day.

I was also a huge Miletello fan. It was so crushing to have him go down and out like that when the Yankees were in dire need of pitching. That is the year that I learned to temper my enthusiasm for prospects.

15. brent says:

Yeah Millitello just tore throught the lower levels. I remember keeping track of his stats in the news and being so excited at the possiblity of an actual decent young SP. I can’t for the life of me remember what the actual injury was. If anyone remembers I’d love to be reminded.

16. brent says:

I actually just found a piece about it in baseball analysts.com.

Added bonus was reminding me of Sam HOrn who was a STRAT o Matic BEAST for me. His card was like all K’s BBs and HRs. I ran him and Hector Villanueva into the ground to the point where my league the next year made a system that no longer allowed you to play guys without full season stats full time.

17. Reggie C. says:

The Steve Howe story actually saddened me for a spell this afternoon. I only recall Howe as a tabloid fixture, but i was really too young then to follow how long Howe had fought his demons even up to that point. Didn’t realize Steve Howe died addicted. That was a tough read.

18. BrianH says:

Thoughts on Dimitri Young on a minor league deal?

19. BrianH says:

Thoughts on Dimitri Young on a minor league deal? Just read an espn article on him, there is never a down side to minor league deal.