Feb

Open Thread: Spring Training Broadcasts

Good ol' GMS Field.

It was a pretty slow day in Tampa, with the only thing resembling news being Frankie Cervelli‘s arrival. That’s only notable because he finished last season on the DL thanks to his fourth concussion in seven seasons, so it’s good to hear he’s in Tampa read to do some baseballing. In other good news, we now know which Yankees Spring Training games will be broadcast on television, with the first game being just 19 days away. It’s still a long ways off, but at least now there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. Here are the games that will broadcast this spring, all on YES unless otherwise noted (all times Eastern)…

• Sunday, March 4th: 1:05pm vs. Phillies
  • Wednesday, March 28th: 1:05pm @ Braves – on ESPN only
  • Thursday, March 29th: 7:05pm vs. Orioles
  • Friday, March 30th: 7:05pm vs. Phillies
  • Sunday, April 1st: 1:10pm @ Marlins – at Marlins new stadium
  • Tuesday, April 3rd: 2:10pm @ Mets – also on SNY
  • Wednesday, April 4th: 12:05pm vs. Mets

MLB Network hasn’t released their broadcast schedule yet, but since they just pick up the local feeds, a few of the Yankees games they show will be road games not broadcast on YES. We’ll get to see something like 20-25 of the team’s 34 exhibition games, and that’s pretty cool. Remember when Spring Training games on television was a pipe dream? Good times, good times.

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. Both the Knicks and Nets are playing tonight, but talk about whatever you like. Enjoy.

(Photo via the Yankees)

1. Rey22 says:

Do you know if they can be also seen through MLB.tv or espn3?

• Bavarian Yankee says:

for sure you can see those games on MLB.tv. I’m a MLB.tv subscriber for 4-5 years now and in the past you could always watch those ST games.

2. Mariano's Pimp Hand says:

Now if only my cable company would pick up Yes.

3. Robert says:

Does anyone have a opening for RAB fantasy baseball?

4. sevrox says:

I keep checking in here to see if Burnout’s been traded. This is worse than waterboarding, fer chrissakes.

• Jesse says:

I actually did the same thing the entire month of August after the trade deadline to see if Jesus was called up yet. Sad, but true.

• Mike E says:

Not that you shouldn’t come here, but chances are a deal will be announced Friday evening.

• Robert says:

there was a rumor earlier that he voided a trade to LAA.

• Mike E says:

Yes, but for all we know the Yankees and Pirates have already settled a deal. Most of these major trades or signings seem to come out on Fridays for the Yanks, making your big deal on Friday is typical stuff in the business world and it looks like this front office follows that.

5. tony says:

Doesnt it stink that its a leap year and we are one day further away from baseball then we should be?

• GardnergoesYardner says:

I agree. Also, with that schedule last year that pushed everything up, it’s made the start of this year so much farther away. It was good because of the early start last year, but we’ve basically been waiting since the beginning of October and the first game’s not even until April 6th.

6. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

I love spring training. Spring training introduced me to the man who inspired my handle!

7. fin says:

I’m confused. I thought no one could sign soler yet or make him an offer. I’m reading at traderumors that x,y,z teams are in on the bidding for soler, and yankees and phils are in the hardest. HOw can anyone be bidding on him?

• Peter North says:

I think it’s because they can bid, but legally he just cannot sign yet. I hear he should be legal in a week or so.

• RetroRob says:

They actually can’t even bid. They can watch him workout, they can have discussions, but they can’t talk money. They can show interest without getting into financials. Now I suppose behind closed doors the teams could talk money with the agent, but since that would break U.S. trade laws, I really don’t think any team would risk it.

As we saw with Cespedes, the real bidding begins once Soler has DR residency and then is cleared by MLB.

8. Tom says:

O’s release Clay Rapada….2nd LOOGY here we come!

9. GardnergoesYardner says:

I know a link to this was posted last night by someone, but has anyone seen how out of shape Joba looks? It really looks like he has taken a few steps back in conditioning. I know he’s coming off the surgery, but is it normal for players to be that out of shape after Tommy John or any long extended surgical recovery period? If he expects to just waltz in in June and reclaim a pen spot, I think he’s very mistaken.

• ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

I think we have to let his arm heal then worry about his weight. Also, Prince Fielder is a position player and Joba is certainly more in shape than Fielder. So we can say that he is not the most out of shape player in the league.

• CJ says:

Joba appears to have the tendency to pack on weight. Tommy John surgery would not limit his ability to train for conditioning aerobically. Pitchers typically only perform intense strength
      training for legs and core. We have heard about the shape Phil Hughes is in, he lost 20 lbs from 260-240. I didn’t realize he was that out of shape. With a change in body composition to muscle, Hughes lost more like 25-30 lbs.

10. jon says:

anyone see this kevjumba vs swisher playing ping pong?

no idea who the hell kevjumba is but swisher looks like hes in really good shape

11. pat says:

Damn. Curt Schilling is on Conan right now. I’m kind of finding it hard to hate him. He actually comes off as a pretty smart pretty nice guy. I mean I’ll still hate his guts forever, but maybe now a smidge less.

• G says:

Curt’s actually been hard to hate lately. He called out the Red Sox for using Francona and a few players as scapegoats, said the Yanks are the team to beat, and came off as likable on Conan. His status as a gamer also makes me want to like him.

But God dammit I still have to hate him.

• I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

Maybe this will help you guys feel better:

He’s a douche bag of the highest order.

There.

12. Plank says:

Does anyone else in a foreign country have trouble accessing MLBTradeRumors? I haven’t been able to access it for about a week now.

• CMP says:

Loved your smack down with Ted today. I have a suspicion however that you are really one of his multiple personalities and all these arguments you guys have are really him arguing with himself.

13. W. W. J. M. D. says:

Is anyone else kind of skeptical about Burnett being dealt with how much public info there is?

• radnom says:

Conspiracy theory: The Pirates were the ones to initially leak the story to gain leverage in negotiations. With this much public info, they basically have to trade him now.

• W. W. J. M. D. says:

I don’t know, its starting to smell more and more like Mystery Teamâ„¢.

• CJ says:

How does a leak on the Pitt side explain the angels and Indians reports? Do you believe Cash is a ninja?

• Plank says:

I think they want to, should, and will trade him, but if in some unlikely scenario the trade falls through, I don’t think it would take too much effort in spring training to massage the egos involved. 16.5MM goes a long way toward easing tensions. I don’t think the Yankees are backed into a position where they MUST trade him.

• I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

Certainly not by the leaks.

But the roster as currently constructed may force the issue. We’ll see I guess.

14. JohnC says:

“Remember when Spring Training games on television was a pipe dream?”

Shoot. I remember back in the early 70s when not even half the regular season games were televised. Of course the Yanks were terrible back then so they actually were doing us a favor

15. TheEvilUmpire says:

Hey, anyone see that the Red Sucks picked up old pal Ross Ohlendorf? He’s a pretty smart guy, I’m sure he raises their collective intelligence from pure idiocy to mearly dim-whitted.