Mar

Update: X-rays negative after Cano hit by pitch in hand

10:11pm: Via Bryan Hoch, x-rays were negative. “He’s fine,” said Joe Girardi. And exhale.

9:09pm: Robinson Cano left tonight’s game in obvious pain after getting hit by a pitch in the left hand. He actually swung at the pitch and struck out. Kevin Russo took over at second base. We’ll update this post when more information becomes available.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. mike_h says:

holding breath starting….now

2. Rey22 says:

Ok…PANIC TIME!

3. Eric says:

That worries me. Looks like a 4-6 week injury to me. Hope I’m wrong

4. Mike Myers says:

Jay Glazer reports: cano broken index finger. out 6-8 weeks.
    ….
    …..
    …….
    Just kidding…

5. Pineda is greata says:

Bill hall come on up. Who hits third?

6. Ari G says:

how bad is a broken hand or finger? like 2 month, this is really bad

7. GardnergoesYardner says:

Honestly, I never really get angry with a player getting injured during the season. I’m mad about losing their production, butit happens and a lot of the time it means they were playing their hardest. Even HBP’s dont annoy me that much,.

Spring Training is a totally different story. Injuries during ST just piss me off so much! It’s total garbage time, and the fact that some scrub couldn’t locate his pitch and that our guy has to pay for it is so annoying. Especially when it’s a team like the O’s, who make it their sole mission to destroy the Yankees players.

8. STONE COLD Austin Romine says:

… Maybe its me but why do most sports enthusiasts (FANATICS) seem to expect and assume the WORST case scenario before even knowing the facts?

It’s the same thing when prognosticating or forcasting ‘prospects’ potential ingnoring his floor and focusing on his ceiling.

Ok now I’m ranting … B u t b e f o r e w e a l l a s s u m e the w o r s t JUST exhale and hope for the best :)

I’m sure Cano will be ready in time for opening day and that’s just being realistic and not optimistic.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

It’s the nature of all sports to assume the worst. The percentages are naturally against you. For example, every seven out of ten times Cano comes to the plate, he’ll won’t get a hit. How are we expected to assume that he will get a hit when the odds are that he won’t?

It’s the same thing for injuries. I’m sure we’d all love to say, Cano’s fine, he’ll be OK. But we’ve seen players suffer long term injuries from getting hit in the hand, and the chances are that when one is hit in the hand with a 90 MPH pitch, there will be some damage.

By watching the game we all know and love, we submit to the fact that the odds are usually against us and thus we assume the worst. It’s why the best seems all the more sweeter.

9. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Cano leaves game after getting hit by BITCH!

• Havok9120 says:

How original. Charming too.

• STONE COLD Austin Romine says:

“Also, what allows you to say Cano will be ready for Opening Day? Do you know all the facts? Your guess is just as fact based as ours are.”

What allows me to do so ? It’s cause I refuse to expect the worst. I watch this and follow this sport as a form of escapism.

Yes I watch every single game (I haven’t missed a broadcast or replay since 2002 but it’s not to the point where it’s vicariously through the team.

Maybe I should have stated that ‘I hope he’ll be fine by opening day’ instead of ‘I’m sure he’ll be fine by opening day’.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

Hoping Cano is ready for opening day is a lot different than saying that an opening day return is realistic. We don’t know anything about the extent of his injury yet and can’t determine what’s realistic or not.

Your question was why do people expect the worst, I was just giving you an answer. I too always try to hope for the best, as I think that negativity in sports destroys the fun of following them. Shit happens, but hopefully not too often.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Leave Pedroia out of this, please.

10. Pineda is greata says:

Sunday night in sarasota means cano has to go to SMH for xrays. Horrible night.

11. MUIDATS EEKNAY says:

X-rays negative per Bryan Hoch.

12. STONE COLD Austin Romine says:

Good. Excellent news for Cano.

13. rdcrds says:

Cano is fine just a bruise per Joe after xrays

14. Robinson Tilapia says:

Good to hear, unless you answer to the name “David Adams.”

15. smurfy says:

yabadabadoo, whew!

16. Havok9120 says:

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMEDDDD-

Wait, what?

They must be lying. He’s obviously gravely wounded. It may be mortal.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

(Gasp) And to have his Yankees career tarnished by the strikeout in his final at bat!

The talking heads at YES are going to have to do some serious revision of history for his Yankeeography.

17. bill says:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thank god

18. Kevin Winters says:

Ok so he won’t miss half the season

*whips forehead*

19. pistol pete says:

Ibanez has no bat speed left, another 0 for. Today’s version is 0 for 3 and now 2 for 32 and 065. I wish Cashman read the Philly blogs about Ibanez last year. He would have saved the yanks $1m.

20. Rich in NJ says:

Cano is now, in effect, “the franchise,” so that’s really good news.

21. Monterowasdinero says:

It would have stunk if Cano missed a month but Nunez would have played second, ARod would have carried us and all would have been fine.