Mar

Minor Notes: Bichette, Austin, Ravel, Heathcott

The minor league season actually starts before the Major League season this year, though by just one day. Usually the bush leagues kick off like, two weeks after the big boys. Not sure what’s up with that. Anyway, here are some interesting minor league notes courtesy of Chad Jennings

• VP of Baseball Ops Mark Newman confirmed that Dante Bichette Jr. will start this season with Low-A Charleston. He’s skipping right over Short Season Staten Island. Tyler Austin will be there as well, and he’s going to play right field while Bichette gets the hot corner. I prefer that to having them share third and DH or something.
  • That Charleston team figures to be stacked, by the way. Bichette, Austin, Mason Williams, Cito Culver, Angelo Gumbs, Jose Campos, Bryan Mitchell, Ben Gamel, Evan DeLuca, and Matt Tracy should all be there. Gary Sanchez could be back for an encore as well.
  • “He’s going to be ready close to the start of the season … He came back unbelievably fast,” said Newman of Ravel Santana. The outfielder will head to SI once the season starts in June.
  • Remember when Slade Heathcott said his latest shoulder surgery will keep him out until May? He was being optimistic. Newman says he’ll be back in June. Sucks.
  • Jeremy Bleich is throwing bullpen sessions following the shoulder procedure that cost him most of 2010 and all of 2011. I have to think we’ll see him in a game at some point, assuming the surgically repaired wing holds up.
Categories : Injuries, Minors

1. A.D. says:

Great news for Santana, and going to be real fun to read the Charleston box scores

2. Derick says:

What’s the record for wins in the short A league. They might threaten it.

3. Havok9120 says:

I still want Jose Campos on the Prospect Watch.

4. Damix says:

Interesting little note: Davis Stoneburner, Grahams brother, was traded to the Indians today.

5. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

I am planning my summer vacation around the River Dogs. 4 games at home and then 3 in Asheville. I’m hitting all 7. I’ll see if Mike can set me up on Game Threads ;)

6. RetroRob says:

Good to hear about Santana. It’s never a good thing when words like “devastating” are used to describe an injury, so his rapid return can only be viewed as good news. I think even Klaw was expecting him to be out until at least mid-season based on reports from other sources, who clearly were wrong.