Mar

Open Thread: 3/2 Camp Notes

Beisbol!

The Yankees completely manhandled the University of South Florida earlier today, but that’s not all that happened in Tampa. Here’s the latest…

Here’s tonight’s open thread. The Rangers, Devils, and Nets are all playing tonight, so talk about those games or anything else. Go nuts.

[Photo via Bryan Hoch]

1. forensic says:

According to Chad Jennings, Jeter is not traveling tomorrow, which makes more sense than Carig being that tomorrow is the outfielders and Sunday is the infielders.

2. Preston says:

I’m really excited to see Nova pitch tomorrow.

3. Este15 says:

Wow, bad break A.J.

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

Yankee baseball feels good, even if it’s against West Tampa Middle School…..JV team.

Here’s also to a healthy recovery for AJ Burnett and a return to form in Pittsburgh.

5. Craig says:

Anyone know if WCBS is broadcasting the game tomorrow?

6. KenC says:

lol Montero. I still love him

7. sevrox says:

Tex went 0 for 2 – drop him to 8th in the lineup.

• Craig says:

Nunez, 1-1 with a triple. New clean-up hitter and protection for Cano.

• Mattchu12 says:

In all seriousness, if he doesn’t do something to lift that average, I wouldn’t mind seeing him bat sixth in a lineup where Granderson bats fifth and Swisher bats second.

His power is great, but I have always liked Teix for his OBP, and it’s suffering right now.

8. Cross says:

MLB Network is broadcasting tomorrow’s game

9. Cross says:

MLB Network is broadcasting tomorrow’s game.

10. Joey H. says:

Warning to Pinstripers… if you get traded, anticipate foul balls…. The new curse.

11. Plank says:

What’s going on with Roy Oswalt?

12. GardnergoesYardner says:

Going to see the Van Halen concert tomorrow night. Should be a great show, as they’ve gotten great reviews so far. They’re my all time favorite band, and I’m really excited to finally see them with Roth in concert. They seem like they’re having a lot of fun on stage so far.

If anyone saw the MSG show the other night, I would love to hear how it went.

13. Gonzo says:

Over/under on how many games Montero catches this year?

I’ll say 40.

14. Craig says:

Adam Warren will make _____ major league starts this year for the________?

• GardnergoesYardner says:

11 for the Dodgers because he gets traded in an Ethier deal.

• MannyGeee says:

this sounds pretty right. i would say 7 starts n chavez ravine, but now i’m just splitting hairs

• GardnergoesYardner says:

Well I was assuming he just slotted right into the back end, but nevertheless he should start a fair amount of games if he gets traded in such a deal.

• Jesse says:

That’s a good prediction. Wouldn’t be too surprised if that happened.

• Gonzo says:

Would you rather have Either for a Warren type piece or Thome for presumably something lesser?

• FIn says:

I’d rather have Warren than either for half a year. Seems all the Yankee trade deadlines never pan out. It seems Warren might be a solid mid rotation guy if things go right. Hope we could use him as a trade piece in aquiring a Swish replacement if he doesnt get resigned.

• Plank says:

I would vote no on any player being involved in a mid-season trade.

I’ll say 3, Yankees.

• Plank says:

By that, I mean no on any specific player involved in a mid-season trade. I would vote yes on a mid-season trade happening.

• fin says:

Point taken. Also, why I said seems rather than all. My point still stands, I think Warren is more valuable than a half year of Eiether and especially Thome. Unless the Yankees are desperate, do to a struggling offense, I dont see them giving up Warren or Phelps for a half year rental. At least I hope not. I’m not a prospect hugger by any stretch, I just think they have more value, especially as part of a package for some type of a longer term player.

15. Plank says:

He can bunk with Mel Hall (not that the crimes are at all on the same level.)

16. DM says:

In this photo, Jesus Montero exhibits a grasp of one of baseball’s axioms — “Always keep your eye on the ball.”

• DM says:

“Mariners manager Eric Wedge wasn’t in a mood to coddle Montero afterward, saying rather curtly, “He’s OK, he’s fine.” Wedge made it clear Montero hadn’t suffered a concussion, and his reaction to the catcher leaving the game bordered on annoyance.”

“He got hit in the same place twice, so after the second one, we got him out of there,” Wedge said. “I’ve been back there. You get hit like that. It’s just unusual to have it happen two times in a row.”

More confirmation that the Mariners love their new “catcher”.