Mar

Open Thread: 3/25 Camp Notes

Not the Yankees, but this happened.

The Yankees and Tigers played to a one-all tie today. Michael Pineda allowed one run in five innings of work and anywhere from 89-94 on the YES gun. Mariano Rivera allowed his first hit of Spring Training and Rafael Soriano threw a perfect inning as well. David Robertson (foot) and Manny Delcarmen (lat) both returned to game action with uneventful innings. Derek Jeter scored the only run when he hit the first pitch of the first inning over the right field wall for a solo homer. He later doubled, as did Mark Teixeira and Eduardo Nunez. Curtis Granderson drew a pair of walks and that was pretty much the day for the offense. Here’s the box score and here’s the latest from Tampa…

• Andy Pettitte threw a “light” bullpen session today, part of his normal between-start routine. “Still feels good,” he said. [Erik Boland]
  • Adam Warren, Ivan Nova, and Hiroki Kuroda all threw sides today as well. Brad Meyers and Cory Wade each threw live batting practice. [Chad Jennings]
  • “Sometime in the next two or three days,’’ said Nick Swisher (groin) when asked when he’ll return to the field. “We don’t want to push it. I am doing all the other things, running and working out.’’ [George King]
  • The Yankees are off tomorrow, but Phil Hughes will remain on schedule and throw six innings in a minor league game. [King]

Here is tonight’s open thread. The Devils and Islanders are playing tonight and right now, respectively. MLB Network will be showing a game later on as well. Talk about whatever your heart desires, enjoy.

[Photo via @bubbaprog]

1. Havok9120 says:

Pleeeeeeease tell me that that isn’t photoshopped.

That’s hilarious.

2. Ted Nelson Loves Russel Branyan says:

Should have kept Montero.

• Havok9120 says:

Sigh.

• Ted Nelson says:

One spring training appearance is a great way to evaluate a trade, DM

• DM says:

Talk about presumptuous. Sorry, Ted — that ain’t me. You must have more “fans” than me. Would I spell Russell with one l?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

While this is an incredibly silly “feud,” I didn’t think that was you with the fake name.

• Ted Nelson says:

I have to think it’s more pathetic if someone else who knows that much about this site decided to use that as their identity than if you are posting under that alias.

• DM says:

I’m tired Ted. That sentence was too long for my eyes right now — so I don’t know if it was another shot at me or not. I dont care either. I’m not posting under that alias — unless I just responded to myself below for some reason.

• Ted Nelson says:

Really don’t care if you are or not… I merely assumed it was you making a joke, since you were previously probably the only person so obsessed with me that you brought me up in every single forum whether I was commenting or not.

• Plank says:

He’s accused me of being multiple handles, too. He had Axisa check the locations of the posts and when he found out that it was different people, Ted thought it was still me spoofing the different IP addresses for each of the separate names.

• DM says:

Yeah, he did that with me a couple of months ago. I think he thought I was you — or you were me — or we’re both someone else. Whatever. I was gonna ask Ted to check with mods but I thought that was overboard. I guess I was wrong if he bothered to do that with you.

• Plank says:

Here is what I was thinking of. I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened multiple times.

• DM says:

“multiple devices” “Code to re-route an IP address”

I hope you were briefed by C.O.N.T.R.O.L. before you accepted that mission. And don’t sell the NOC list to the Russians.

I think I was a mere lurker back in Dec. Then for some reason I decided to post. WTF was I thinking???

That’s it — I’m really going to sleep now.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m going to assume it doesn’t happen here, but there are people actually sick enough to do stuff like that out there. Start getting involved in more international forums and you’ll see.

So, yeah, overboard, but not entirely far-fetched that someone would do something like that.

• Plank says:

I’m sure it’s a lot more mundane than what is running through my head right now, but what ‘international forums’ do you go to where this wouldn’t be odd?

Also, do forums have nationalities?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m sure what you’re imagining is a TON more exciting that what I’m talking about. :)

I’m involved in a lot of music forums of a murky ethical nature. I can tell you that, for example, the Dutch tend to be prety cutthroat bastards on forums like these (apologies to any Dutch friends on here), simply because of internet laws being so lax there. They’d totally do what DM’s referring to just to get back at you.

• DM says:

Oh, I’m sure. But like you said, that wouldn’t be anywhere near my first guess when more than one alias is tweaking Ted.

3. Grady Seasons says:

Daniel fekkin’ baaaaaaahhhd!

Best releiver/starter evvvvahhhh!

• Tom says:

Come on, Curt Schilling called him a “game changing arm” and “a potential #1 starter” on ESPN the other day…

While I expect the ridiculous out of his mouth, this still had me shaking my head. I wished someone asked him how a potential #1 arm couldn’t even make it through the minors as a starter before being converted to a reliever.

4. tony says:

Jeter didnt hit a homerun on the first pitch. It was like a 2-2 count when he hit it

5. DM says:

Interesting stuff regarding Pineda, ST and “pitching” from LoHud (Chad Jennings)

“Nobody throws hard in spring training, because it’s spring training,” Pineda said. “You think a little more, and work on what you need. Now I’m focused a little more on making good pitches. I learned from last year. That’s what I need.”

Pineda’s fastball generally sat at 90-92 mph today. He reached 93-94, but for the most part, the velocity wasn’t significantly different than we’ve seen in his previous starts. That said, there were times when his changeup seemed to be a legitimate go-to pitch, and Pineda talked about the fact he likes to add and subtract from his slider. It’s not just a power breaking ball, it’s a more nuanced pitch than that, and Pineda hasn’t been strictly a power pitcher, he’s been a little more nuanced as well.

“It’s a little surprising that he does have an idea what he wants to do,” Joe Girardi said. “He can make his slider bigger when he wants to and he can make it different for right-handers and left-handers if he wants to. It is surprising for a kid his age.”

From the moment they traded for him, the Yankees have talked about Pineda’s need to improve his changeup and add consistency. This spring he’s clearly made the changeup a focus, and it’s been a good pitch. He’s not lighting up the radar gun, but he does have a 3.31 ERA through five spring starts.

“Everybody knows last year I threw harder,” Pineda said. “So (they ask), ‘Hey, what happened to Pineda right now?’ But nothing (happened). I feel good. I can pitch. Everybody sees me. I pitch every five days. … I know last year I threw hard, so I have more power. But this is spring training, so the power is coming back.”

• Steve S. says:

Being more of a pitcher and less of a thrower is pretty unique at his age for a guy with his stuff. Let’s hope he’s just taking it easy and will ramp it up when he’s ready.

• DM says:

Yeah — and I’ve been surprised myself. Everyone has been so focused on the gun but I’ve been seeing much more of pitcher than I expected. I understand why he was able to navigate with “only 2 pitches” last year — it’s b/c he varies those pitches a lot, different grips and changing speeds and spotting the ball. And he uses that slower slider like a curve. I was expecting to see a Betances-like thrower but with better control; but he’s more like a cross between Nova and Betances — in a good way.

• DM says:

“Pineda has received praise for his pitchability, perhaps having a better overall feel for pitching than many in New York thought when the Yankees first obtained the power right-hander. He commands the fastball fairly well and is able to provide different looks with that breaking ball, all impressive considering he is just 23 years old.”

Pitchability — with different looks — exactly what I didn’t expect to see. Pleasant surprise.

• Sayid J. says:

I’ll trade 2-3 MPH for some polish any day of the week.

• DM says:

I want his velocity back as much as anyone — but I think he’ll reach at least the plus line again (meaning 93-95 rather than 90-92) — which is enough if he’s a pitcher rather than a thrower. 97 isn’t a requirement.

6. Ivan says:

LMFAOOOO….wow that picture is so hilarious…..talking about disrespect.

7. johnreverent says:

classic pic

8. Monterowasdinero says:

Thought that pic was a Greg Golson/RAB joke.

Turns out Golson was acquired by the White Sox today.

Any news on Damon?

9. jay destro says:

zube zube zu guys

10. Karl Krawfid says:

David Phelps, Dellin Betances, Nunez for Dom Brown. Yes or No?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh hell no, and certainly not Betances under any circumstance.

The Yankees should also never, ever acquire anyone mentioned every third comment on this board.

• Ted Nelson Loves Russel Branyan says:

Betances doesn’t know what a strike zone is.

• Ted Nelson says:

All three is a lot, but I don’t think Betances alone is ridiculous by any stretch. He’s got a ton of questions of his own. Brown has some questions, but wrist surgery provides one pretty obvious answer. He was on a totally normal development path until wrist surgery, and was one of the most highly regarded prospect in baseball. In a very limited sample, he appears to have his power back this spring. Which seems to be exactly what you’d expect with a hamate injury.

• Jesse says:

No, but unlike Robinson, I’d offer Betances for Brown straight up. I’m not the biggest Betances fan, and apparently the Phillies aren’t the biggest Dom Brown fans.

11. Bartolo says:

haha oh my god that picture is priceless…

12. Rookie says:

Does anybody else think that not holding onto Maxwell will prove to be a mistake similar to giving up on Carlos Pena in 2006 and that he might be a more valuable contributor than Ibanez?

• Rookie says:

And why wouldn’t it make sense to start the year with Swisher on the DL both to give his groin more time to heal and to get a longer look at Maxwell?

• DM says:

I don’t think Swisher is that badly hurt. And they can DH him and play Ibanez/Jones in the field for few days if need be.

• DM says:

I don’t. Carlos Pena was a big time prospect, good young player who went south then resurrected himself. I don’t see Maxwell that way. More a Golson or a Dickerson than a Pena.

• Knoxvillain says:

Carlos Pena was back in 2006? Jesus Christ. Feels like fucking three years ago. Six years? FUCK!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Not having room for a guy who turned out to do better somewhere else isn’t necessarily a “mistake.” You’ve only got room for 25 guys. It happens.

13. Tom says:

The scary thing about the photo is I think it is Oscar Tavares… who is probably a top 5 prospect in the Cardinals system! (BA I think had him at 3, Fangraphs had him at 2).

He’s still only in A ball, but given the rosters have already been cut down and he is far from a no-name in that system, it’s pretty sad.

It would be like the Yankees doing this for Maison Williams (Tavares is not quite on the same level skill-wise but he is within the same relative ranking within the respective organization)

14. Chuck says:

Pineda was getting hit hard today. Spilt squad lineup.. Not saying cashman fucked up but he hasn’t shown anything special. Phelps Warren etc have been pretty equivalent

• Jonathan says:

you do realize guys that have their spot locked up work on stuff in spring training rather than going for pure results…the reason for that is…..THE RESULTS DON’T MATTER. 1. Get to opening day healthy. 2. Work on refining your game 3. Get to opening day healthy. That’s what happens in spring training. Guys like Phelps and Warren have to prove themselves every second they pitch whereas Pineda is already in the rotation and is working on his change up. If he was throwing with max effort and going only to his two best pitches, like he did last year, he’d be dominating guys but he wouldn’t be improving his changeup and overall game. Which do you think is more important? You expect the guy to be lights out and throwing 100 and learn to throw a Johan change up overnight?

• STONE COLD Austin Romine says:

What game were you watching?

He didn’t get hit hard at all.

15. Steve S. says:

When Pineda was acquired, people wondered how his numbers would translate to YS3 given his fly ball tendencies and getting hit hard by Lefties. In his first interview, he addressed those concerns by saying “I need to keep the ball down, down, down.”

Any chance the dip in velocity is just him working on the 2-seamer?

• Monterowasdinero says:

Any chance that he can dial it up in the 6th and 7th like Verlander so he can get through the lineup 3x more easily?

• Reggie C. says:

I think Pineda has acknowledged to having reduced velocity, but it being something he’s not concerned with at the moment. I trust Pineda can dial it to the mid 90s by the time his regular season games start. However, Pineda is going to have to minimize the damage over the first 3-4 innings when he’s throwing 90-92.

Keep that slider strong Pineda!

• Bo Knows says: