Mar

Open Thread: 3/26 Camp Notes

(REUTERS/Steve Nesius)

The Yankees didn’t have a game today, but Phil Hughes remained on schedule and threw six innings in a minor league game. He allowed two runs and struck out four in front of Brian Cashman and Billy Eppler [YankeesPR & Erik Boland]. Frankie Cervelli played in the game as well, hitting a dinger. That’s pretty much it, the next time the Yankees have a day off it, it’ll be the day before Opening Day.

Here is your open thread for the night. The Knicks and Nets are both playing, plus MLB Network will air a game later. Talk about whatever you like here, go nuts.

1. AndyisDandy says:

You just illustrated what I love about being a fan of baseball. One day off means that a lot of games are coming our way.

2. Daniel says:

frankie also threw out 3 runners at 2nd base.

3. Havok9120 says:

Uh oh. Montero went 0-3 again today in Japan. Does this mean he’s done? Did we win the trade? Is JAPAN the home of the better pitching staffs?

I say they leave him there. He’s clearly shot his bolt.

4. pat says:

According to Frankie Sanchez, Austin and FLores hit bombs. Sanchez’s was to RF. He was also playing some excellent d behind the plate. Great day.

5. Kramerica Industries says:

As someone who has never played fantasy baseball before, and am only playing on a whim, I’d love to get a quick review:

C – Carlos Santana
    1B – Prince Fielder
    2B – Dustin Ackley
    3B – Mike Moustakas
    SS – JJ Hardy
    2B/SS – Kelly Johnson
    1B/3B – Mitch Moreland
    OF – Jacoby Ellsbury
    OF – Nick Swisher
    OF – Matt Joyce
    OF – Brett Gardner
    DH – Vlad Guerrero (admittedly, I fucked this part up, and will probably make a move before the season begins)
    UTIL – Logan Morrison
    B – Colby Rasmus
    B – Kendry Morales
    B – Allen Craig

Pitching (and I have no clue how one is supposed to proportionate their SP/RP – I have 7 SP, 2 RP)

SP – Felix Hernandez
    SP – Cole Hamels
    SP – Jon Lester
    SP – Stephen Stasburg
    SP – Adam Wainwright
    SP – Max Scherzer
    SP – Derrek Holland
    C – Jonathan Papelbon
    C – Jim Johnson

12 team league.

Flame away, please. I am confident in my baseball knowledge – I have no confidence I drafted properly. That’ll happen as a fantasy novice.

Thanks.

• Pat D says:

I’m skipping out on fantasy this year, but that seems pretty solid to me.

• 28 this year says:

what are the roster spots and scoring settings?

• CJ says:

1st fantasy draft? Well done. Just Cut vlad, kendry is your DH.

• boogie down says:

Good team, but I’d trade one of those first 5 pitchers for another high-impact (power) bat. This would be especially wise if streaming is allowed in your league, in which case you should trade two of your SP’s for two good bats.

Streaming will allow you to win any cumulative stats you have without really having to house too many high-end SP’s.

• Mike E says:

If you’re looking for a rookie DH I’d try and get Devin Mesoraco, Anthony Rizzo, or Yonder Alonso. Yasmani Grandal could also make the team so I’d keep an eye out. Nice Draft.

• Jesse says:

Holy crap, that’s a really good team.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

You went a bit too heavy on pitching. Try selling high for a bat because after all the bats play everyday.

The infield has a ton of upside but I don’t know how well they’ll be in 2012. But all in all a solid team.

• Alkaline says:

Very solid team. Most of mine have been when I’m at work, so I pray for the best when it comes to autodrafts.

I would say keep your eyes on the players who are FA in your league. Mid season callups, breakout players, etc. could really help you out. I lost by only .5 pts last year in a 20 man/25 player league, but I picked up players like Ackley and Montero that got me that close.

Pitchers especially. Have a few flagged for when you have guys hitting the DL.

• Kramerica Industries says:

All comments duly noted and appreciated.

6. Brian says:

How about that Kim Jones replacement?

7. Tom Zig says:

P: Carlos Zambrano
    Bench: Bud Norris
    Bench: David Robertson
    Bench: Phil Hughes
    Bench: Doug Fister

8. Jesse says:

Does anyone have the statistics as to the probability of getting hurt on a trampoline vs getting hurt in a car accident?

9. sangreal says: