Mar

Open Thread: 3/5 Camp Notes

(AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

The dream of an undefeated season is over. The Yankees lost their first game of the spring today, falling to the Phillies 9-3. Michael Pineda started and threw two scoreless innings (video), allowing a ten-hop single back up the middle to the first batter before retiring the next six. He struck out two: Shane Victorino on a changeup in the dirt and Jim Thome on a fastball up high. Afterwards, Pineda told Jack Curry that he threw about five changeups, including the one whiff from Victorino. Marc Carig spoke to a scout who said he was 89-92 with a flat slider. Typical first outing of camp.

David Robertson allowed a run in his inning, but things really got out of hand in the sixth. Adam Miller allowed five runs on six baserunners with his only out coming on a caught stealing. Juan Cedeno (three runs in one inning) did him no favors by allowing all three inherited runs to score. Gus Molina was the offensive star by going 2-for-2 and Zoilo Almonte continued his perfect spring by going 1-for-1. He’s now 5-for-5 across three games. Brett Gardner hit an inside-the-park homer that was really a fly ball followed by a comedy of errors. Here’s the box score, and here’s the rest from Tampa…

Here is your open thread for the night. None of the basketball or hockey locals are in action, but the Mets are playing (on SNY) and MLB Network will be carrying various games all night. Talk about whatever you like here, enjoy.

1. Preston says:

Well now we see the stark difference between Nova, Freddy and this Pineda fellow. Sure his stat line looked better because he didn’t give up runs, but he’s obviously not a winner. The team just wasn’t inspired by him to go out and put runs on the board. Nova and Freddy expertly pitched to the score.

• Fin says:

Thats why win/loss record is so important my friend.

• Preston says:

We should put him in the pen where his stuff plays up better. He’d be a nice 6th inning guy (5th inning when Joba’s healthy obviously). Think about it Pineda to Joba to Soriano to DRob to Mo Randy Levine is so excited about this.

• Havok9120 says:

Don’t you think we should send him down to see if we can save him as a starter? No need to go overboard. Then we can consign Delin to the pen or a trade and fix ourselves up with the best AAA rotation in the country (unless Tampa has found 4 more diamonds in the rough).

• MannyGeee says:

#4inninggames

2. forensic says:

Gardners hit was actually a triple, not an inside the park homer (at least that’s what I assume you were trying to call it). And Almonte is 3-3 in 3 games. The 5-5 would be 4 games including the USF game that doesn’t count for anything.

Miller and Cedeno were painful to watch. Very blah for Pineda, but it’s just his first 2 innings. 3rd game and all, but i hate seeing Chavez in slow motion on his groundout. You’re going to get hurt no matter what, at least show some effort out there. Some of the hitters really look like they needed more than just a few days of BP, seemed like the yanks reported later than most other teams, but I could be wrong. Good thing there’s plenty of time still.

• forensic says:

And while I’m at it, boy is Dominic Brown painful to watch on defense. Sure thought he was supposed to be great at everything. Even their announcers couldn’t say anything good about him out there.

• Havok9120 says:

Apparently their media hasn’t been too high on ole D. Brown for awhile now. At least thats the rumor I heard earlier in the offseason. Which is another way of saying, “its probably horse crap.”

• Fin says:

Yea, he booted one today, and just flat out dropped and easy one yesterday. He seems pretty bad. The announcers then said that Charlie Manuel all but said he would have to use a defensive replacement for him late in games. The announcers said he has problems with fly balls, thats really not good for an outfielder.

• pat says:

No it was a rather routine flyball they booted all over the place. Fell in front of two fielders. Should have been a single at most or an out most of the time.

• MannyGeee says:

“The 5-5 would be 4 games including the USF game that doesn’t count for anything”

should we tell him now that none of these games count for anything? Or should we just let him ask Jorge Vazquez?

3. Tom Zig says:

I hate doing group projects where one group member does nothing.

4. Tom Zig says:

My touchpad on my Gateway laptop is going a little bonkers right now. It will randomly decide to highlight text i scroll over. It will act as if im clicking on an icon and then when i move the mouse, will drag the icon across the screen. any ideas on what to do?

• vin says:

I assume your drivers are up to date? I’ve seen that issue before with other manufacturer’s laptops. Have you googled the problem to see if others are having a similar issue with the Gateway?

• ROBTEN says:

I just fixed someone’s computer with a similar problem. vin is right, it is likely a driver conflict. I would suggest going to the Gateway site and checking the drivers for your laptop, especially the touchpad driver. It is likely that something, perhaps a windows update, is causing a conflict with the touchpad driver. You might also check to see if the bios has been updated, although I would just update the drivers first and see if that solves your problem.

• MannyGeee says:

go to Target and spend $8 on a wireless USB mouse and disable the touchpad.

• ROBTEN says:

If it is another input driver, and not the touchpad driver directly, there’s a chance that this would not work.

5. Rey22 says:

Damn, Bryce Harper is huge. He’s only 19, but he looks 25. Surprisingly fast too, for such a big guy.

6. jayd808 says:

I knew it.

7. Steve S. says:

Watching MLBN right now recap 2011. Nice to see Tony LaRussa go out the way he came into the game.

As a drunk.

8. Steve S. says:

Sometimes Brett Gardner can make MLB teams looks like the Bad News Bears.

9. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Nice BA write up on Mason Williams…paid content, just found it on their website. The article says he is going from a 4 Tool guy to a 5 Tool guy.
    “The thing that struck me was how strong Mason got from the end of last season until now,” minor league director Mark Newman said. “He was part of the offseason program (in Tampa). He was in a nutritional program and a strength program that began after the season and carried into January. He is up 26 pounds, and balls are flying farther then they used to in batting practice.”
    Wow! 26 LBS!! Inititally heard it was 15. 26 is just incredible for a kid that age. I couldn’t gain 10 LBS until I was in my mid 20′s.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Let’s hope he did it the right way as opposed to the Ryan Braun way.

• CJ says:

An elite athlete at his age can pack in serious muscle with a professional strength coach and nutrition program. It’s like NCAA football strength programs packing size and strength on freshman, and NCAA is PED tested.

• Needed Pitching says:

or the CC way

/CaptainCrunch’d

• JohnnyC says:

Derek Lowe famously gained 25 pounds of muscle mass over 3 months in the 2001-02 off-season. Said he weight-lifted 4 times a week. Hey, that’s what he said.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Well he’s making it hard for me to keep my promise to never get excited about a Yankee position prospect again. But I think I’ll wait a bit before hugging him.

If his increased weight does give him more power then I’m guess I’ll hug now and cry later.

• CJ says:

26 lbs since October? Impressive.

• Plank says:

Couldn’t this added weight have drawbacks in terms of fielding in addition to the added power?

I would imagine it’s harder to move 186 pounds instead of 160 even with the added muscle.

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Great question. Article says he hasn’t lost a tick of speed or arm strength.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Now I hate using an appeal to authority which essentially half the comments are nowadays, but I’ll be hypocritical.

Mark Newman is one of the bets in the business with his involvement of the farm system. Cashman gets all the credit but guys like Newman and Oppenheimer also deserve props. Now I have no concrete evidence which makes it an appeal to authority but it’s so common for any type of athletes to change their weight that it’s nearly impossible for them to overlook a factor like a loss of speed if they went ahead with this regimen.

The NFL draft is full of prospects like that yet when they bulk up they retain their freak athleticism.

• Plank says:

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. I’m just saying it’s possibly not without drawbacks. I’m not claiming I’ve thought about Williams’ conditioning program more than the Yankees front office.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Never accused you of that, but sure. And yes there are potential drawbacks but a regimen like this has been successful and it’s definitely worth the risk.

The Yankees don’t like flawed prospects. A moderate bat with above average defense at a premium position isn’t nearly good enough for this team. So Austin Jackson was left to bite the dust.

I don’t need to remind anyone of Jesus. Williams’ weakest tool is power and getting that to be even average has more upside than downsides.

• jsbrendog says:

bite the dust? he begat granderson. how is that biting the dust? you traded an unknown for the player that unknown might become in the BEST CASE SCENARIO. you do that trade 100 out of 100 times

• Havok9120 says:

Shhhhhhhh. We dump all our good prospects for no meaningful gain. Or we screw them up and make them suck.

RESPECT THE NARRATIVE DAMN YOU!

• Preston says:

Not true. NFL prospects constantly balance speed versus size. Vontaze Burfict went to ASU and was widely considered a first round talent. Yet he added about 15 lbs. of muscle and ran terrible 40 times and now people are questioning whether he’ll get drafted at all. Sometimes a gain in size helps quickness and sometimes it hurts it in a big way.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Burifict really? If the guy put any effort into training or in playing the game then sure he’ll be a good example. Overrated talent since day one.

• Fin says:

http://www.biggerfasterstronge.....;previd=18 Will give you and idea of how athletes gain alot of strength and size while adding speed. Its possible Williams could even be faster.

• Bo Knows says:

that’s an untrue myth myth

10. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

With Jesus ascending in Seattle, we may need to build a Masonic Temple in the Bronx.

11. jjyank says:

Hey, Plank!

Need your help. I’m talking to a buddy of mine about fielding statistics, and I remember a little while ago you were all about a new metric, but I can’t remember what it was called. What was it?

12. will says:

Almonte can straight up rake, he’s gonna bat .750 this spring and take someones job!! lol