Mar

Pineda up to 93 mph

According to Erik Boland, Michael Pineda reached 93 with his fastball during the first inning of his appearance today. That’s a tick faster than he threw this past Monday, when he topped out at 91 mph. That’s a bit reassuring, at least. It goes along with what Dave Cameron wrote on FanGraphs on Tuesday, noting that Pineda is not a guy who has to fire bullets every single time. Relatedly, it’s interesting to hear that Brian Cashman mentioned that he’d read Cameron’s article (via Bryan Hoch).

Categories : Asides

1. Banuelosisbueno says:

If he adds a mile or two each time out, he should be up to 110 by the start of the season.

Nice to also see Cabral pitched well, too.

• Ted Nelson says:

Levine was confused about the $189 million plan and thought it meant giving Cano and Granderson $189 million per each.

• DM says:

Ted, there’s nothing in your reply that’s attacking me or my views. Are you feeling under the weather or something?

• Havok9120 says:

You obviously aren’t. Your pathological desire to needlessly harass him without provocation has not abated during his temporary absence.

• DM says:

“harass him without provocation”

I think you need a history lesson — but I won’t bother to give it to you.

But what’s really bothering you? Did I say something negative about some player you believe in or something? Unless you’re dating him, I can’t believe this is about Ted.

p.s. Oh, and one more thing. I was joking. Maybe that didn’t make it through — or maybe you didn’t let it b/c you wanted to perpetuate the same kinda thing you seem to be annoyed at.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

We now know what tomorrow’s lead story in the New York Times will be.

• DM says:

Oooh, now I remember.

I was critical of Phil Hughes.

And you’re in the “pitch him no matter what” camp.

• Havok9120 says:

?

I believe you’re projecting. Holding grudges over peoples’ opinions of baseball and the people who play is not really my style.

• DM says:

I might be wrong about you. But I’m definitely not projecting. I don’t care if you want Hughes to start. I just give my reasons why I think he shouldn’t start on the big club under certain circumstances. Some feel those circumstances don’t exist — or at least they don’t acknowledge there existence.

I only held grudges over lies. And those grudges are mild at best.

• Havok9120 says:

Then we have no problem. =) There are CERTAINLY circumstances under which Hughes should be optioned or sent to the ‘pen. Heck, I’ll be the first to admit Garcia is more of a sure thing than Phil, and even then I’d rather see the AAA guys under some circumstances. You’re quite right (and have been all along) that Phil should not be automatically chosen. And you’re equally right that I prefer Hughes to Garcia, which seems to be our choice at this time.

• Havok9120 says:

No, I’m not in need of a history lesson. I know he harassed you. Who started it months ago matters less now than who perpetuates it. You return the favor regularly, and far more than he does these days. That is what annoys me. I have nothing personal against you, and actually like you far more than I do Ted “where’s your source” Nelson. Its more about pointing out unnecessary rudeness. I do it to everyone, myself included.

• DM says:

“And no, your joke didn’t make it through. Your jokes regarding Nelson rarely do, as most of them are veiled insults directed at someone who rarely initiates contact with you anymore. This, again, is what prompted me to respond.”

Well, I’m sorry it didn’t make it through. But tone can be hard to discern accurately in forums like these. I actually thought that Ted would respond acknowledging my sentiment — and then our long-winded debates would end. And I mean that in 100% sincerity. I replied with a joke — not a “I told you to stop replying to me!” or “Get lost a-hole”. I was being playful, acknowledging that he didn’t come with sword drawn this time. I wasn’t ringing the bell for round 237 or whatever we’re up to. If he had replied “Haha” it would’ve been over — forever. But you decided to interject — confident in your omniscience regarding my motive.

I doubt I’ll agree much with Ted’s views b/c his approach to discovery is in a different camp than mine. But I’d be more than happy to avoid future melees. And I’m guilty of perpetuating them — but sometimes I’m accused of starting them just b/c I dare to disagree about Phil Hughes, Jesus Montero or Brett Gardner.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Need attention much?

• Kevin Winters says:

LOL crazy thing is he would do that

2. STONE COLD Austin Romine says:

Wtf happened to this place ?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

The overuse of sarcasm was always here. The disagreements though are due to the hardcore circlejerks killing anyone that opposes their views. In the past everyone pinned Bo but now if someone says something negative you die in flames. And mass animosity occurs.

• RetroRob says:

This is what happens when there isn’t an open thread for 24-hours. Lots of built up tension needs to be released.

3. dennis says:

velocity shaving by Pineda. The bookies got to him.

4. ajra21 says:

wonder how the NY media will attempt to convince their readers that pineda would be more effective in the ‘pen?

5. O Coelho says:

Pineda resembles Jose Contreras in so many ways that it’s not funny. This will go down as one of the worst trades in Cashman’s long list of terrible trades.

Or, stated differently, what’s wrong with a rotation of Sabathia, Kuroda, Nova, Garcia and Hughes with Betances, Banuelos and others in the wings? Montero would be the DH.

• Evan3457 says:

Yes, I’m always making bets in Las Vegas on the basis of the first two spring training appearances, which is why I’m typing this from a partly functional laptop I found while lying in a gutter.

• Fin says:

Well Pineda had his success in MLB, Contreras had his in Cuban baseball. Pineda is 23, Contreras was in his 30s when the Yankees got him. I dont really see a comparison other than they are both big guys who throw hard and use a slider. There are alot of guys that can be said about.
      The only Yankees minor league guy that projects to the top of the rotation is Baneulos. Hes still just 20yrs old and struggled in AAA last year, so he has a long way to go before reaching that potential. Betances may never make the starting rotation. We have no idea what Hughes will give us, and Garcia is a 5 inning and done type guy, who has had tons of injuries and a junk baller. The other guys in the minors all project as back of the rotation guys. With Kuroda,being a 1 year guy and Garcia cant have much left in the tank, the Yankees would be desperate for pitching again next year. The Yankees clearly had a need for a top of the rotation pitcher.
      While that staff you posted probably gets the Yankees into the playoffs, I dont think it gets them very deep into the playoffs. CC, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova have alot better chance of success than CC, Kuroda, Nova, Hughes/Garcia.