Mar

ST Game Thread: A Rare Sight

(REUTERS/Steve Nesius)

We haven’t seen much of CC Sabathia this spring. The big guy has only thrown eight official innings in camp, though he did also start a minor league game last week. Eight innings, four runs, that’s it. No one cares though, because he’s CC Sabathia and represents all that is right in the Yankees universe. Here’s the starting nine…

SS Derek Jeter
1B Mark Teixeira
2B Robinson Cano
3B Alex Rodriguez
DH Raul Ibanez
C Russell Martin
LF Andruw Jones
CF Brett Gardner
RF Justin Maxwell

LHP CC Sabathia – scheduled for 85-100 pitches

Available Pitchers: RHP David Robertson, LHP Cesar Cabral, LHP Clay Rapada, RHP George Kontos, RHP Mark Montgomery, RHP Ryan Pope, RHP Preston Claiborne, RHP Sean Black

Available Position Players: C Gus Molina, 1B Jorge Vazquez, 2B Bill Hall, SS Eduardo Nunez, 3B Jayson Nix, CF Dewayne Wise, and RF Chris Dickerson will replace the starters. C Jeff Farnham, IF Addison Maruszak, and OF Abe Almonte are up from minor league camp and available if needed.

Tonight’s game starts at 7:05pm ET and can be seen on YES locally and MLB Network nationally. Enjoy.

1. Karl Krawfid says:

CC gets smaller and smaller every time I see him.

2. forensic says:

Geez, I can’t stand this announcing combo. So boring. The regular season can’t get here soon enough.

• RetroRob says:

Problem is, we will see and hear this same announcing team during the season. They just don’t pair well together. Need a more high-energy guy with Flaherty.

• forensic says:

I think it’s pretty rare for Lorenz to do games during the season, and hopefully they’ll just keep those to the ones I stupidly get blacked out of anyway.

3. Pat D says:

Question in David Schoenfield’s ESPN chat today:

“Chris (Troy)
    Of course everyone is picking the Red Sox, this is ESPN we’re talking about.

David Schoenfield (5:08 PM)
    Yes, that’s it! ESPN NEVER shows any love for the Yankees.”

It’s funny, because I’m trying to remember the last time ESPN REALLY DID show any love for the Yankees.

On the other hand, he referred to Pineda’s velocity concerns as the most overblown story of spring training.

4. LiterallyFigurative says:

I have no way of knowing if they did or didn’t, but I wish Toronto would’ve gone after (and gotten) Fielder over the winter. They need someone to protect Joey Bats. Imagine that 3/4.

I still think they will compete for 3rd in the AL east, and with some better years out of some young guys, could make the playoffs.

It’s weird; of all the teams in this division, I have like no hatred toward the Blue Jays.

5. Tyrone Sharpton says:

still salivate at the thought of a Maxwell, Granderson, Jones outfield….hot mama

6. LiterallyFigurative says:

Teixiera popped up! Flame On!

7. Karl Krawfid says:

Andy Pettitte and Colby Rasmus should remake that picture when Colby was a kid at Yankee Stadium.

8. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I know this is a game thread, but this is my first time trying a fantasy league and I had the draft yesterday. Feel free to ignore this…but I would love it if someone could give me a quick evaluation. It’s a 12 team leaque with head to head scoring.

C-Miguel Montero
    1B-Nick Swisher-I’m not sure how this works-he was listed as a 1B but will never play there during the season. Does that mean anything?
    2B-Jemile Weeks

RP-Heath Bell
    P-Brandon McCarthy
    P-Brian Wilson
    P-Johan Santana
    P-Kenley Jansen

• forensic says:

Swisher played 11 games at 1b last year so he has multiple position eligibility (usually 10 games at a position gets that) so you can use him at either 1b or of whenever you want, regardless of where he is really playing.

9. RetroRob says:

I know Damon has any spring training, but he can’t hit any worse than Ibanez.

10. Cuso says:

Wow. That may have been the worst AB I’ve ever seen by a major leagued excluding pitchers (Ibanez).

11. SevenAces says:

I know how it has been repeated so many times that ST numbers don’t matter, but geez Ibanez looks horrible…

12. LiterallyFigurative says:

Andruw getting a hit off a righty…..

DFA Ibanez!

13. Tom says:

Andrew Jones… full time DH?
    (ARod can also get some DH’s against righty starters with Chavez starting)

14. STONE COLD Austin Romine says:

Ibanez cannot make this team. At least tony Womack was able to slash at the ball during his first month back in 2005 and make contact.

Ibanez batspeed is looking very flabby & sick.

15. LiterallyFigurative says:

Listening to Jack Curry’s report on Joba and how he got hurt, it sounds like he was jumping FROM one trampoline to another.

Anyone else get that?

If true, that really sounds reckless.

• forensic says:

Have you looked at pictures of that kind of place? All it is is series of trampolines. it’s not like jumping from one separate trampoline to another.

• Chip says:

They have a room there with all trampolines around. I know The Yankee Analysts posted a video about the place. Doesn’t look terribly reckless

• Steve S. says:

It would, unless you’ve seen the place he was doing it (Rebounderz). Its has a plaza of square trampolines that are connected to each other. They’re designed to jump from one to the other continuously.

Go to YouTube and search the name. There a promo video of the place. You’ll see.

16. Chip says:

Wow, lefty Tex looks goooooooooood

17. Mike Axisa says:

Tex is going to have a monster year. Been crushing everything the other way as a LHB this spring.

18. steve (different one) says:

opposite field double from Teixeira batting lefty.

NTS. that’s not too shabby.

19. teddy says:

for the most part, cc making good pitches, but when he made a mistakes, they haven’t missed them.

somewhat about cano batting 3rd giving his lack of plate discpline

20. Steve S. says:

Prediction. By the middle of May, while he’s in the midst of a 2-26 stretch, everyone will be citing Tex’s hot camp as just another example of how Spring Training means nothing.

• Chip says:

Prediction. Tex hits .300 this year with 40 homers

• Steve S. says:

Ummmm…I’m all on board with the 40 dingers, but his BA has dropped annually as a Yank. Ill be happy with .260 and 35-40 dunks.

In any case, I wasn’t knocking Tex. I was just a bit amused at people predicting huge years out of various players based on their spring. Two weeks into April, everyone will look back and say it meant nothing, as usual.

• Chip says:

He went from being a .290 hitter against righties to being a .220 hitter against righties in the span of an offseason. If he can make the adjustment to take the outside pitch to left field like we all know he’s capable of, then he can definitely hit .300 again.

21. Steve S. says:

Raul Ibanez is going to have a monster year. He’s saving his hits for the regular season.

22. teddy says:

damm andrew jones shame that was foul

23. Steve S. says:

Andruw Jones is going to have a killer season with the foul balls.

Sheffield-esque.

24. forensic says:

Thousand guys on base. No hits with risp. Leaving guys on third with less than two outs.

Mid-season form…

/imalsopreppingfortheseason

• Chip says:

I don’t see any complaining about the age of the team in there. You’re obviously not in mid season form yet

25. Steve S. says:

I hope we see Joba this year, but reading how much trouble guys like David Adams and Kendys Morales had with ankle injuries, I have to take a wait and see approach. Joba didn’t break anything (which is a key distinction) but you still never know.

26. Craig says:

On the subject of comebacks, I’m predicting Hughes ends the season as the Yankees number two stater; CC-Hughes-Pettitte-Kuroda-Pineda.

17-7 3.65 ERA 170 IP 150 Ks

• Steve S. says:

I want that to be the case, but he needs to completely reinvent his batted ball profile to have sustained sucess as a Yankee. Give up WAY too many fly balls, and generates far too few grounders.

My best case scenario on Hughes is to have him get off to a good start, then deal him for a long term solution in RF or at C. I’ve seen enough.

• handtius says:

i’d approve of that. what becomes of nova?

27. Steve S. says:

On a completely non-Yankee related note, the Bruschetta they sell at Costco makes a ridiculously good pasta sauce.

28. CJ says:

Yep ibanez still looks really BAD. When is phillies old timers day?

29. D-Rob da man says:

Drob is in midseason forum.

30. D-Rob da man says:

Rapada or Cabral???

Rapada is the perfect loogy We can use Logan for more than match ups.