Mar

ST Game Thread: I Wanna Hirok

(AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

Yankeeland is still reeling from the Andy Pettitte signing, but in a good way obviously. There are completely meaningless games still to be played though, and today Hiroki Kuroda — the guy who took Andy’s locker at GMS Field — is getting the start. I’m sure those two will work the locker situation thing out, but it’s more important for Kuroda (and Pettitte) to work on getting ready for the season. For a veteran guy like Hiroki, today is all about going through the motions and refining command; he doesn’t have to find velocity or work on a new pitch or anything. Here’s the lineup…

LF Brett Gardner
CF Curtis Granderson
2B Robinson Cano
3B Alex Rodriguez
DH Raul Ibanez
RF Andruw Jones
1B Eric Chavez
SS Eduardo Nunezwill wear a protective batting glove on his injured right hand
C Frankie Cervelli

Available Pitchers: RHP Mariano Rivera will actually pitch today. He was accidentally listed on yesterday’s schedule. RHP Cory Wade, LHP Boone Logan, RHP Dellin Betances, RHP George Kontos, LHP Juan Cedeno, LHP Mike O’Connor, and SwP Pat Venditte are all available. I really hope Venditte gets in the game.

Available Position Players: C Jose Gil, 1B Jorge Vazquez, 2B Doug Bernier, SS Jayson Nix, 3B Bill Hall, LF Cole Garner, CF Dewayne Wise, RF Chris Dickerson, and DH Colin Curtis will replace the starters. C Mitch Abeita, IF Walt Ibarra, and OF Abe Almonte have been brought up from minor league camp for the day.

Today’s game starts at 1:05pm ET and can be seen on YES locally or MLB Network nationally. Enjoy.

1. Chen Meng Wang says:

Hey guys, I just got a new job, I’m going to be working nights and there’s no TV or AM radio receiver. What’s a good website to either stream the game(for free) or watch gameday (what’s best between yahoo, mlb.com, epsn.com, ect.) until I can get myself a AM radio in here.

• Mike Axisa says:

MLB audio is like, $15 for the year on MLB.com. Gameday is the best of the lot.

• Chen Meng Wang says:

Thanks dude, that might be worth it. I’m flat broke right now, but I’ll get a couple pay checks before season’s start. Are SP games on gameday? I wouldn’t expect it, but I’t be nice to have that to follow for the next few hours.

• Mike Axisa says:

Yep, all ST games are available on Gameday.

• Chen Meng Wang says:

They raised their prices apparently…I just checked and it said 19.99 still well worth it.

• RetroRob says:

I was going to suggest MLB.TV for $100, which gives you all games (and audio), but if you’re flat broke, then MLB audio is the way to go. Save that for your next job/raise!

And congrats on the new job, even if it will be cutting into your baseball-watching enjoyment.

2. Mike Axisa says:

Love Ken Singleton, but I hope he refrains from citing Spring Training RBI totals in the future. Also, very nice first inning for Kuroda, even if they are the Astros.

3. RkyMtnYank says:

See, Andrew doesn’t need to sit vs righites.

• Chen Meng Wang says:

I would honestly love to see Andrew show the ability to hit RHP with even a little bit of success, if he can DH full time w/ the way Ibanez has struggled and Branyan getting hurt.

4. Total Dominication says:

Why is he mispronouncing Chavez?

5. Murph1010 says:

why did you leave off the I in hiroki

6. Monterowasdinero says:

Ibanez has value as a pitch count machine and that’s about it. Hope he walks alot. Haven’t seen him catch up to any low 90′s fbs in hitter’s counts so far.

• RetroRob says:

He’s a hacker. Never been much on taking a walk. If he doesn’t hit the long ball he’s not going to have much value.

7. GardnergoesYardner says:

Is anyone else already sick of the Irish music being played on YES?

8. Cy Pettitte says:

oh man Robbie absolutely destroyed that

9. Mike Axisa says:

Save it for the season, Robbie.

10. mike_h says:

man that guy yells really loud “BEER HERE BEEEEEEER HERE”

11. Rey22 says:

Those green Yankee hats should be considered crimes against humanity.

12. Total Dominication says:

Brett Garner- good at baseball.

13. mike_h says:

really hoping Pat Venditte can get in the game

14. RetroRob says:

I like to listen to a couple innings of the opposing club’s broadcast team, either TV or radio. (In the case of Houston, radio-only today since the TV broadcast on MLB.TV is the YES feed.) In the Astros case, I was curious what types of things they talk about knowing they are broadcasting for the worst team in the game and have what’s regarded as one of the five worst farm systems in the game, meaning they’re probably a good five years away from contending.

If you’re ever unhappy with the Yankees broadcasters, listen to the other teams brodcasts. Some are good, but most really are subpar. I’m also always amazed at some of the negative comments I hear about the Yankees and Yankees fans.

I guess I shouldn’t be too hard on the Astro’s radio team as we have our own issues here in NY, but it’s a different kind of bad. For the Houston crew today, the highlight was when they tried to pronouse Jose Gil’s name. That’s right. They can’t figureo out how to say Gil. They had to ask for help.

• Tom says:

One thing I noticed on the MLB Network broadcast on TV the other day (with the Nats TV team) was that they went out of their way to thank the Yankees for sending someone up to the booth and apparently providing them a list of names and what positions they were likely to play that day.

They mentioned in spring training it gets pretty rough trying to figure out who’s who on the opposing team and not that many clubs actually bother to provide much/any info. I can see how it could also be difficult with names of the more fringy prospects (though that’s not really an excuse for Astro teams having a hard time with a name like “Gil”)

They seemed to be like an OK broadcast team, but I agree with you there aren’t very many good broadcast teams (especially radio). Living n the northwest, I can’t stand the Mariners TV team who make any event from the 3rd inning on sound like it’s game 7 of the World Series… retiring the first batter in the 6th inning is not a “HUUUGE Out” even when they only win 60-70 games a year

• Havok9120 says:

I missed that. That’s pretty cool. Classy action by both teams (yes, I count team/regional broadcasters as part of their parent organizations).

15. Cy Pettitte says:

Dellin looking very good. this is exicting.

16. Jesse says:

Can we read anything into Betances pitching the final inning today? Did they just want to get him into game action and after the game he’ll throw in the bullpen again, or are they working him into being a reliever?

17. murakami says:

If they make Betances a reliever, they all need to be fired.

FIRED.

• Monterowasdinero says:

Dellin looked better-squaring up, not overthrowing and good control of his stuff in the 80-90 mph range.

• murakami says:

He did look nice and uniform for the most part. Fastball’s not there yet, but that’ll come as the season draws closer. Nice curveball, threw some changes too.