Mar

ST Game Thread: Phelps’ Big Chance

(Mark LoMoglio/MiLB.com)

The Yankees ran Adam Warren out to the mound against the Red Sox last week, opting to have CC Sabathia pitch in minor league camp rather than face a division rival so soon before the season. They’re going to do the same thing tonight, except this time it’ll be David Phelps replacing Ivan Nova against the Orioles. With just one more turn through the rotation left before Opening Day, this is likely the last time Phelps will get an extended opportunity to impress the coaching staff in camp. Here’s the lineup…

SS Derek Jeter
DH Curtis Granderson
3B Alex Rodriguez
1B Mark Teixeira
LF Raul Ibanez
RF Andruw Jones
CF Brett Gardner
2B Eduardo Nunez
C Frankie Cervelli

RHP David Phelps

Available Pitchers: RHP Mariano Rivera, LHP Clay Rapada, RHP D.J. Mitchell, and LHP Cesar Cabral are all scheduled to pitch tonight. LHP Boone Logan, RHP Adam Warren, LHP Mike O’Connor, LHP Kramer Sneed, and RHP Kelvin Perez are also available if needed.

Available Position Players: C Gus Molina, 1B Eric Chavez, 2B Bill Hall, SS Jayson Nix, 3B Doug Bernier, LF Dewayne Wise, CF Justin Maxwell, and RF Chris Dickerson will replace the starters.

Tonight’s game starts at 7:05pm ET and can be seen on YES. Enjoy.

1. Craig says:

Over/Under starts Phelps makes in 2012 for a ML team: 6.5; what team will he start for?

2. Chrisis says:

Can’t we just put Granderson in left and let Gardner roam mid?

• Tom Zig says:

Sure we could, but the difference probably isn’t great enough to make it worth it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Topic’s been brought up a thousand times on here. I’m sure you can dig up a post addressing just that question.

• Plank says:

Things do tend to only be discussed once around here.

• Havok9120 says:

We’ll see another such article as soon as Grandy starts slowing down. Until then, the situation is the same as it was when last written about.

• Plank says:

John Danks disagrees with the idea that things don’t get discussed more than once despite absolutely nothing happening.

I agree the situation hasn’t changed, but someone brought up a baseball topic and the only response was “it’s already been brought up” Who cares? It’s a valid question on a baseball site.

• Havok9120 says:

That much I can agree with. I was more responding to the idea of the writers writing about it, not we in the peanut gallery talking about it. I had no reason to respond solely to that however.

3. Plank says:

3 up, 3 down…3 pitches?

Phelps is the real life Steve Nebraska. How is he as a hitter?

4. Stratman9652 says:

Am I the only one who can’t see this thread on the home page? I can only get to it from the twitter link.

5. Steve S. says:

Curt Schilling needs to put that bloody sock in his mouth.

6. Chrisis says:

That bomb was on cue.

7. Steve (different one) says:

So that’s Ibanez’s 3rd “HR” (yes, one was caught) in the last week? Didn’t like the signing, but maybe he’s righting the ship?

• Plank says:

Wait, it’s almost like you’re saying 3 weeks of spring training isn’t enough time to evaluate a player.

This concept is revolutionary.

• mustang says:

That’s why they should release Boone and keep Rapada and Cabral.

Spring training sometimes plays outs like play station and its just as meaningful.

• mustang says:

That’s why they should release Boone and keep Rapada and Cabral.

Where is pistol pete?

• mustang says:

Where is pistol pete? or whatever his name is.

• Havok9120 says:

Oh, lord. Let’s not poke the bear. He, jack knife, and the other guy with the same kinda name (and I’m not convinced that they aren’t the same person) won’t show their faces until the situation aligns with their unshakeable and long-held opinions, and not before. I, frankly, am grateful for he reprieve.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Hughes got spot. Should I worry. Things bad. Rinse. Repeat.

8. Jake says:

That sound you hear is the Ibanez hate train applying the emergency brakes!

• Havok9120 says:

Nah. They’ll keep trucking along, unswerving in their opinion that he’s done regardless of his actual performance.

Well, the loudest ones will. The majority of them are reasonable and will cautiously revise their opinions if the situation warrants it.

9. D-Rob da man says:

An I Bomb from ibanez

10. Steve S. says:

Raul!

Werewolves of london..

Rauuuullllllll!

11. Steve S. says:

Does Sterling have a call for Ibanez?

12. Steve S. says:

Just imagine for a moment the career Nick Johnson could have had if he stayed healthy/spent 5 hours a week in the gym.

Poor man’s Frank Thomas? H

13. Tom says:

Nick Johnson is not injured yet? How is that possible?

14. CS Yankee says:

Thinking that maybe Pittsburgh should be considered the worst team in baseball as this will be 20 years without a winning record. Baltimore up to 14 years already, did that Jeet/Maier kid combo dinger thing curse them?

• vin says:

Well they did win 98 games in ’97 (the year following the Jeter HR). They just got really old. The ’98 team had an average age of 33. Steroids or not, that’s a really old team. That club only won 79 games.

15. Plank says:

David Phelps 25 pitches, 25 strikes, 0 walks. 7 of those were hits, though and 2 were errors by our spry IFers.

16. Steve S. says:

Girardi-”…guys have to remember that whatever we do with the rotation, its not permanent.”

Sounds like one of the young guys are getting demoted, and my money’s on Pineda. Has been for the past few weeks, actually.

• Steve S. says:

I mean, if that’s referring to Garcia, when exactly would things open up for him? Pettitte’s on the way, plus you have 6 guys for 5 spots now. He’d be waiting for two injuries, and that’s a bit much.

I’ve been thinking the past two weeks that they’ll showcase Freddy until Pettitte comes back, and then deal him once Andy is ready. Then you have Pineda in AAA in case of injury or ineffectiveness to push the other five. If everyone’s healthy and Pineda’s destroying AAA, maybe you explore a mid-season deal for Hughes for a long term solution at RF or C. But that’s a long way away.

• Plank says:

Things opened up for Bartolo Colon last season. He started in the pen.

• Steve S. says:

Andy didn’t pitch last year. If anything, they were short a few arms heading into last year, and they have an excess this year. I think we can all agree this is a very different situation. Plus you have guys like Phelps and Mitchell who are a phone call away.

• Plank says:

There are lots of realistic scenarios where Garcia gets into the rotation if he pitches well. It would be more unlikely that he stays in the pen all year, in my opinion.

• Steve S. says:

He won’t be happy about that. He’s singing for his supper at this point of his career, so he needs to pitch. The Yanks understand that, and if he wants to go I think they’ll accommodate him.

• Plank says:

I think they are trying to shop him now, but if they don’t have any appealing offers, I think they would keep him.

• CS Yankee says:

They need to stay the course with Hughes. Nova started slow last yer and has been so-so this Spring. I think it’s risky to punish Pineda (to AAA), versus giving him a 4/5th spot. He has been crafty & a few pounds & v-lo BS, is just that. Don’t mess with he kid who has the highest upside and can do tuff that Nova/Garcia/Hughes can’t do, IMHO

• Steve S. says:

Nova didn’t like it, but he came back and proved them wrong. If Pineda goes to pieces for being demoted, that’s on him, not the Yanks.

• CS Yankee says:

Nova also wasn’t acquired via trade though. A bit more pressure than a former Rule-5 returnee.

Pineda has been better than Nova, has done more in the show than Nova to date, and I believe is ranked higher than Hughes ever was…he has nothing to learn in AAA, has out pitched Nova, and a much higher ceiling. Could be a PR mess if they mess with him.

• Plank says:

Agreed generally, but Hughes was a former top prospect. He was number 2 behind Dice-K one year, if my memory is correct.

• Steve S. says:

PR mess? Maybe a 1 day story. The average Yankee fan is obsessed with rings, and Pineda hasn’t been here long enough to have had any. I know some fans who loved Montero will think it reflects badly on Cashman, but that’s ancient history to me. Once the deal is done, you move forward and run the team however you think is best.

• CS Yankee says:

Bottom line…
                Pineda 2011 > 2011 Nova
                Pineda ST 2012 > Nova ST 2012
                Pineda 2012…highly likely > Nova 2012

Pineda to the 4th spot…as he has more IP than Hughes did in 2011. Garcia & Nova battling for the 3rd spot…I would go with Freddy (for now).

• Fin says:

I dont really think you need to showcase Freddy. I think baseball pretty much has freddy nailed. I hate to burst your bubble but they arent sending arguably the second best pitcher on the staff, and the future of the Yankees pitching staff to AAA to travel the country. If the Yankees were short sighted enough to send a young guy to AAA so a 36yr old junk baller can take his place it would be the inferior Nova.

• Steve S. says:

I get that, but if you were trading for a pitcher, wouldn’t you want to see him pitch? I would. We all know what Freddy’s about, but if he has no command of that slop he throws I wouldn’t touch him. He can’t help me.

I’d want to scout him before I give up anything for him.

• Fin says:

For Freddy? Nah, if I’m a team I know what Freddy’s got. Saw enough of him last year and this year in ST to know he would make a good back of the rotation starter. The longer they go without trading him and leave him in the pen the more of an issue it could become but for a month or so while Andy gets ready, I dont think it makes a difference.

• gc says:

So wait a second. If a team were trading for a pitcher, they should want to see him pitch. But the Yankees traded for Pineda (and gave up a LOT to get him), and you think they should send him to the minors??

• CS Yankee says:

I’m thinking if Pineda or Nova aren’t the chosen ones, they will go down to AAA, & Mitchell or Dellin will be MRP…if its Garcia he’ll go to MRP even though he needs 30 minutes to get ready.

My guess…CC/Kuroda/Garcia/Pineda/Hughes

• Karl Krawfid says:

Nova will be the one sent down. Hasn’t looked good all spring. Assuming a youngin’ gets sent down.

• Needed Pitching says:

he pitched well today, apparently

• Steve S. says:

The fact that he was sent to pitch a minor league game tips their hand a bit on Nova. They didn’t want him to face the O’s, since he would be scheduled to face them again in a week when the season starts.

• Needed Pitching says:

possibly, or they haven’t decided yet

I do expect Nova will be in the rotation though, as well as Pineda and Hughes

• Steve S. says:

I don’t see it. He’s far more established than Pineda is.

Don’t forget ST isn’t really about results. It’s about how you’re throwing the ball, how you look to your coaches. Pineda’s velocity being down is a perfectly good excuse to send him down. Let him work on the change down these in a low-stress environment. Makes sense.

• Needed Pitching says:

how is Nova far more established than Pineda is?

Pineda was better than Nova last year, has been better than Nova so far this spring, and has higher upside.

• Plank says:

How is Nova far more established than Pineda? They were both rookies last season and Pineda had the better year.

• Steve S. says:

Mostly because Nova’s already done it here. Pineda pitched in a pitcher’s ballpark, facing weaker lineups. As Brian Cashman would be the first to tell you, every pitcher who he brings in doesn’t work out, so you stick with the ones that are proven.

• Plank says:

Why are you assuming someone gets sent down?

Pineda pitched in a different stadium on a different team, but it’s not a different galaxy. He was an AL pitcher last year, he’s an AL pitcher this year.

• Steve S. says:

I’m assuming that because the Pettitte situation added an arm they were comfortable without, so now I think they’ll want to move Freddy. The best way to get as much as you can for him is to let him pitch every 5 days. Freddy already let it be known he wasn’t thrilled when Andy came back, which is understandable. When he signed here, it was as the 5th starter.

• Plank says:

Pettitte won’t be ready for months, though. I don’t think the benefit of showcasing Garcia (if he is the odd man out) outweighs the cost of sending down a good young pitcher.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

39 year-old starters, and players returning from retirement, tend to not be as good as they used to be as well. Nothing is guaranteed with Andy.

• Plank says:

True. No player is guaranteed. That makes it even more nonsensical to demote Nova or Pineda in favor of Garcia.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

The Yanks didn’t trade their best prospect since Jeter for an All-Star pitcher only to send him to AAA.

17. Stratman9652 says:

Wow. Nice job by Phelps.

18. Chrisis says:

Phelps just pulled a D-Rob. Get into trouble, strike everyone out.

19. CJ says:

Cashman’s phone ringing off the hook? Phelps looks good.

20. Bon Scott says:

Well, now we know why Carl Pavano was out with bruised buttocks while on the Yankees.

21. Needed Pitching says:

Cervelli in midseason form

22. CS Yankee says:

Ibanez for MVP…

(this game)

23. mustang says:

He is still blocking those young all star minor league hitters in AAA.

24. jjyank says:

Anyone else intrigued by the talk by Cone and Singleton that if Mo had been brought in earlier in relief of Cano in the 1995 playoffs, Showalter might have continued on as manager? It got me thinking. If Mo comes in earlier and preserves the lead (he did strike out the only man he faced on three pitches, although the score was tied by then) what happens? Say Mo comes in when the score was still 4-3 and the Yankees beat the Mariners. How far do they go? Do they win the World Series? Does Showalter get the nod in 1996 and we never see Joe Torre? I found this all very interesting.

• jjyank says:

Sorry…earlier in relief of *Cone…I love Cano but I know he’s not a pitcher.

• DM says:

Or Cone could’ve challenged Doug Strange with a strike rather than going for the whiff with a splitter in the dirt.

• jjyank says:

Yes, but I was specifically talking about the manager situation. What would the Yankees look like today if Mariano gets brought in for two outs instead of one and the Yankees win that series?

• Plank says:

It would probably look the same. I think the manager doesn’t have as big an impact on the team as others do. Also in this alternate reality, Steve Karsay and Scott Proctor are putting the finishing touches on a hall of fame career.

• jjyank says:

In reality, you’re right, managers don’t have a big impact. But in the eyes of a micromanaging owner, the Joe Torre era may not have happened. Just thought it was interesting.

• DM says:

Sorry, I’m still bitter. I would’ve felt better if Cone had grooved one and gave up a grand slam. As for the ripple effect, who knows? Too many variables — plus the fallacy of the predetermined outcome.

• Kevin says:

Not as bitter about 95 as I am about 01..especially since we never should have been in the position to win it in the first place.

• DM says:

I didn’t like that either. But the Yankees hadn’t won anything yet in ’95 — pre championship run — at that time you didn’t know if they’d ever be back.

25. DM says:

That line drive single was more important than the dinger.

26. CS Yankee says:

For a second I thought Jones made that catch…then I realized it wasn’t 1999.

Solid play by Dickerson.

27. Chrisis says:

Spectacular play, or just a baaaad route on a ball tailing back? Hmm…

28. Steve (different one) says:

the manager, pitching coach, and pitcher for the O’s all have different caps on…