Mar

Yankees release Russ Branyan … then re-sign him

Saturday: Via Bryan Hoch, the Yankees saved about two months worth of salary with the move. “They feel like I’ve got another three or four weeks of rehab, so they’ve decided to rehab me,” said the slugger. “At the end of that rehab, we’ll see where we are.”

Friday: Via Mark Feinsand, the Yankees have released Russell Branyan from his minor league contract. They then re-signed him to a new minor league deal. They may have changed the terms following the back injury that has kept him on the shelf all Spring Training, or they could have circumvented the $100k retention bonus. He’ll probably continue rehabbing just in case he ever gets healthy and Raul Ibanez stinks. Either way, welcome back Russ, even though you never really left.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Steve (different one) says:

Cool

2. jsbrendog says:

my name is jsbrendog and i approve of this message

3. mt says:

I wonder if this release and re-up technique will now be utilized to get around retention bonus. Can someone clarify why the second contract also does not qualify for yanks paying bonus – is it because there is no major league promotion date in the second contract?

4. JEFF COSTIGAN says:

HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY WOULD CUT HIM THE RE SIGN, DID THAT CAUSE THEY DIDNT WANT ANY OTHER TEAM TO SIGN HIM??

• jsbrendog says:

I KNOW YOU PROB POSTED THIS BEFORE THEY UPDATED IT BUT I COULDNT PASS UP THIS OPPORTUNITY TO WRITE IN ALL CAPS MYSELF CAUSE I DONT KNOW WHAT WE’RE YELLING ABOUTTTTT!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHH!!!!!

THIS WORKS OUT FOR EVERYONE INVOLVED BECAUSE THE YANKEES SAVE MONEY AND BRANYAN GETS TO USE THEIR FACILITIES INSTEAD OF GETTING CUT AND HAVING TO DO IT ON HIS OWN BEFORE SOMEONE WILL SIGN HIM CAUSE HE CANT PROVE HE IS HEALTHY!!!!!!!

5. bpdelia says:

Sigh. Ibanez looks like he may have enough fumes left to be useful. Russell branyan is this decades Sam Horn for me. A guy I always thought would go from useful to very good in the stadium but who was probably done by the time he was available.

I still say the 12 th pitcher has become like the third catcher in the 70s wasted spot. Id rather hold branyan, have him pinch hit and consider him ibanez/chavez insurance than carry wade or even rapada. The long man is the truly superfluos spot though.

• Plank says:

The 5 man rotation and reliever specialization make a 12th pitcher less unnecessary. Reliever specialization works, that’s why teams employ it.

6. Fin says:

Rather have them keep Maxwell.

7. martin is a pos says:

nobody gives a shit this guy

8. pistol pete says:

Has anyone seen how Joe is going to set the lineup. I’ve been hoping he bats Arod 3rd and Cano 4th. It would split Granderson and Cano and prevent better against the late inning lefty. I think Cano could be this years MVP and he has plenty of power to bat 4th. It gives left right balance all through the lineup with Tex and Swish being switch hitters. Vs rightys it could be Jete Grandy Arod Cano Tex Swish Ibanez Martin and Gardy. Vs leftys I like to see more of Nunez and go with Jete Grandy Arod Cano Tex Swish Jones Martin and Nunez.

• jjyank says:

I agree with the general idea, but not necessarily the motivation. It sounds nice to break up lefties and righties in theory, but Cano hits lefties very well and Granderson has as well since his adjustment with K-Long a year and a half ago. That is not what I am worried about.

However, I do endorse the idea of batting A-Rod 3rd with Cano 4th. Now that Cano has established himself as an elite hitter, A-Rod will benefit from the pitch selection. A-Rod also continues to employ a keen batting eye at the plate (OBP), putting more men on base in front of Cano. Let’s be honest, A-Rod’s reputation has slipped recently. I still love him, and 3rd in the lineup is no demotion (some would say it is more prestigious, even). But the fact is, I believe, that Cano has become a more dangerous hitter in the eyes of other teams. Therefore, A-Rod can benefit from Cano’s protection, while Cano will also not be pitched around due to the power threat of Teixeira behind him.

Ultimately, this lineup will offer minimal (if any) results. I like the idea, but I doubt it is worth the shuffle. But it is certainly fun to think of Cano as our new potential clean-up hitter. Maybe I am just biased, as Cano is my favorite position player since Bernie retired.

• Havok9120 says:

There’s a downside as well. If Granderson’s improvements hold (and I’m pretty comfortable they will) then, frankly, I WANT opposing managers to put in their LOOGYs against Granderson/Cano. They are generally the overall inferior pitcher, and Cano tags lefties pretty darn well as it is. And Granderson….well, we saw what he does to them nowadays.

• jjyank says:

This is true. Really I don’t think there is a perfect lineup constructions, but it’s more fun to talk about than Pineda’s shoulder in the last week of spring training.