Apr

Joba continues playing catch, will shed walking boot next week

Via Chad Jennings and Peter Botte, right-hander Joba Chamberlain visited the doctor yesterday and will lose his walking boot next week. He made 50 throws today and said he’s been playing catch regularly since the ankle injury. “It’s going to take a lot of things to stop me from (getting on mound this year),” said the obviously optimistic right-hander. I’m glad he’s working hard to come back, but the Yankees can’t count on Chamberlain for anything this season. Whatever they get out of him should be a bonus.

For what it’s worth, Jennings says Joba has lost a noticeable amount of weight. He wouldn’t say exactly how many pounds he lost, but he did acknowledge that it’s “more than a couple … obviously I look different.” Here’s a photo from last night’s NY Rangers game so you can see for yourself. Notice the scar on his elbow.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. luke says:

best yankee news ive heard since last monday

2. Yank The Frank says:

There is no way he would be able to get to eat anything with Chris Christy sitting behind him.

• gageagainstthemachine says:

Was Christy helicoptered into the arena by the Homeland Security chopper to catch this game too? Or is that only for his own kids’ events?

• gageagainstthemachine says:

Oops….misspelled his name…my political joke still stands :)

• Samuel Pacarro says:

Don’t worry… no one expects much witty or intelligent posts from a pathetic DNC palace guard.

Christie>>>>>>>Obama

• gageagainstthemachine says:

Actually, I’m not a fan of either. All politicians are corrupt. But thanks for making assumptions about me. It’s flattering, really.

• I’m sure I’m about to be told that everyone knows that Christie’s a big Rangers fan, he’s at all the game, yadda yadda, but…

The Devils were in a Game 7 last night, too. Dude’s at the Rangers game? Faux-pas.

• Voice of Reason says:

I think it was just an optical illusion. Chris Christie does that to people. Because he’s fat.

• gageagainstthemachine says:

There must be a BK Double Whopper ad on the jumbo screen, because Christie’s looking up and everyone else is watching the game.

3. NoH says:

That photo is full of so much win.

4. Bernard says:

I wish I could be optimistic about Joba like I was the last two years, but I just don’t have the patience any more. Unfortunately, I think he’ll continue to breaks hearts until there are none left to break.

5. Monterowasnotdinero says:

Bad elbow, bad ankle. For a pitcher with Joba’s mechanics and repertoire does anyone really think this guy will ever be the pitcher he was a few years back?

I am not optimistic.

6. bpdelia says:

It won’t happen but now that he has had the surgery it would be smart to rehab him, as a starter. If this has made him serious about conditioning its a perfect excuse to try him out. Worst case he gets his rehab done and goes back to the pen. Never to late to right a wrong. Dempsters career path is a good example