Apr

Open Thread: Ron Swanson + Baseball = !

I’m not a Cubs fan or a White Sox fan, but I am a Parks & Rec fan and Ron Swanson is the greatest television character since Homer Simpson. The Alec Baldwin/Jim from The Office commercials were getting a little stale late last season, and I think these new New Era commercials will have a bit more staying power.

Anyway, here is your open thread for tonight. The Dodgers and Padres open their seasons on MLB Network (7pm ET, Kershaw vs. Volquez), plus the Rangers, Islanders, Devils, and Knicks are all playing as well. Talk about whatever you like, go nuts.

[h/t Kevin Kaduk]

Categories : Open Thread

1. forensic says:

Not too bad for the red sox-tigers game. Valverde blows the save and then the sox still lose thanks to not one, not two, but three former yankees. Pretty good stuff.

2. Marcus says:

“Ron Swanson is the greatest television character since Homer Simpson.”

I’ll co-sign that.

I’m looking forward to the new New Era era.

3. vinny-b says:

ok. The blk peep is from Eastbound and Down. He lost his eye

4. Josh S. says:

That commercial is great. Ron Swanson is the man.

5. Sayid J. says:

Fantastic commercial.

6. Mike Axisa says:

Mason Williams tripled in his first at-bat of the season. Hooray Prospect Watch.

7. forensic says:

Crazy. Blue jays and Indians now in the 16th inning. Longest opening day game ever.

8. Hall and Nokes says:

Well Aaron Seebia just put and end to all that

9. Danny says:

Turley is dealing down in Tampa. 6 ks thru 4, 31 pitches – 25 strikes (Thinking the pitch count might be a mistake)

Yay pitching prospects !!!

10. Zack says:

The Blue Jays will now be on top in the AL East..for a day at least.

11. NoH says:

The Indians broadcasters really make me appreciate yes. These guys are absolutely terrible. Their reaction was pretty funny when the blue jays hit that 3 run homer in the 16th inning.

• Zack says:

Chris Perez sucked last year and he appears to be picking up where he left off. To blow a three run lead is a joke.

• MannyGeee says:

Yeah, Perez is gonna date rape my fantasy season… Pretty pumped about that.

• NoH says:

No kidding. I have lived for a few years in Ohio and there are a lot of homers there that think Perez is a great closer. I am sad to say that I have had conversations with people that think he’s better than Mo.

12. Ethan says:

Kershaw out after 39 pitches. Must be injured…

13. CS Yankee says:

I thought the Alec/Jim commercials were the best since the Lite beer ones in the 70′s. This years is off to a great start though, they both bring it.

“…your last no-hitter was thrown by your pitching machine”, too funny.

14. Hall and Nokes says:

It’s going to be hard for any stadium to top that Aladdin’s bail bonds ad in San Diego.

15. YanksFanInBeantown says:

Where does baseball rank on the Ron Swanson Pyramid of Greatness?

16. forensic says:

I know I’m in the minority, but boy is this the battle of boring announcers: Vin Scully vs. Dick Enberg

• forensic says:

But hey, at least they were both at the first organized professional baseball games ever.

• MannyGeee says:

Don’t let them fool you, it’s actually watching the Padres lack of offense (for the better part of the past decade) that is making you sleepy…

• Pat D says:

I can’t believe you’d talk bad about Vin Scully.

• forensic says:

Well, he’s pretty bad. I know it’s unpopular, but I just don’t get the love for him. He’s alone, boring, and barely informs you about the current game, much preferring to tell you about something 10-20 years ago.

17. blazini says:

Fun fact: the shot of “The Dividing Line” bar at the beginning of the commercial is actually S. Sullivan’s on the corner of 6th and Washington in good old Hoboken, NJ. Pretty far from Chi-town.

18. Knoxvillain says:

Am I the only one who hated The Simpsons?

The best TV character in a long time is Ari Gold.

19. Monterowasdinero says:

Spent yesterday at the HoF in Cooperstown. A must for everyone on this site. Babe Ruth ball for 16K and a Montero ball for $130. What’s going on?

20. Dino Velvet says:

Curt Schilling keeps calling the Red Sox “the Titanic” and it’s driving Pete Abraham up the wall.

Pete, as some point, you have to stop wearing a Red Sox uni in the press box.

21. Radiokev says:

I’m surprised nobody has pointed out that Patrice O’Neal is dead…

22. Plank says:

I hate the new milb.com layout.

Is there a way to get scores by team anymore? I tried for 5 minutes and I can’t find a way. Great Upgrayyed MiLB.

23. keithr says:

I might have been trolled but…that’s Craig Robinson. He’s just black, too.

24. keithr says:

/replyfail

25. mister d says:

Best character since Homer Simpson? Tough call between Ron Swanson, Gob Bluth and “Better Call Saul” Goodman: http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

26. Kevin says:

Ok, my Girlfriend is foreign and has never watched a baseball game in her life. Does the internet possess a good summary of how a baseball game works somewhere? I’m bashing my head against the wall trying to explain basic things like tagging a base to get someone out hahaha

• Bo Knows says:

I’ve been through something similar (actually it was the same situation…anyway)

I explained the positions first, then the pitcher and the types of pitches. From there talk about the strike zone, and eventually got to the things like tagging up. Let the explanation run from topic to topic organically, rather than jumping from one concept to the other.