Apr

ST Game Thread: Miami

For the first time in 2012, the Yankees will be playing in a Major League stadium today. It’s not just any stadium either, it’s the new Marlins park in Miami. The Yankees are playing two exhibition games there to help break the place in before the regular season, kinda like how the Cubs played in those two Yankee Stadium exhibition games back in 2009. Here’s the lineup, which looks an awful lot like the one we’ll see on Opening Day this Friday…

SS Derek Jeter
CF Curtis Granderson
2B Robinson Cano
3B Alex Rodriguez
1B Mark Teixeira
RF Nick Swisher
DH Raul Ibanez
C Russell Martin
LF Brett Gardner

LHP CC Sabathia

Available pitchers:
RHP Mariano Rivera, RHP Rafael Soriano, RHP Cory Wade, RHP George Kontos, LHP Clay Rapada, RHP Brandon Pinder, RHP Mark Montgomery, LHP Juan Cedeno, and SwP Pat Venditte.

Available position players: C Frankie Cervelli, 1B Eric Chavez, 2B Doug Bernier, SS Eduardo Nunez, 3B Bill Hall, LF Chris Dickerson, CF Dewayne Wise, and RF Justin Maxwell will replace the starters.

Today’s game starts at 1:05pm ET and can be seen on YES locally and MLB Network nationally. Enjoy.

1. Sweet Dick Willie says:

What are the chances the Yanks start the season with 11 pitchers (option Wade) so that they can keep Maxwell for a few weeks?

2. Plank says:

Arod has more major league service time than Mariano Rivera. Did that surprise anyone else?

• JMK says:

Not really. Didn’t he come up at like age 19?

• radnom says:

He was very young. It wasn’t surprising to me either because I remembered from the big 3 AL SS days that Arod was up at least a year before Jeter, and Mo and Jeter came up around the same time.

3. Kvothe says:

Ah, what is likely to be the opening day lineup. Kinda wish Gritty Gutty Brett was at the top and Jetes was in the 7 hole, but that’s not gonna happen.

Off-topic: I’m oddly disappointed by the lack of an April Fools joke today.

4. Zanath says:

I hope someone hits a HR today so we can see that crazy thing.

5. TCMiller30 says:

Why didn’t the Yankees add a homerun feature like the Marlins did?

That might be the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen. Haha

• Justin Maxwell's Silver Hammer (formerly Rainbow Connection) says:

They spent all their money on the classy George idol.

6. Plank says:

In the live video of the home run structure (is there a better name than structure?) the top Marlin doesn’t spin.

I posted it a few days ago.

7. CANO FAN #1 says:

Great lineup

8. RetroRob says:

Jeter spreads his seed to a new stadium.

9. Kevin G. says:

Kinda off-topic, but am I the only one that hates when the Yankees wear their full pinstriped home jerseys during pre-season games?

• Mike HC says:

Probably.

• I thought they only wear the pinstripes during the first game of Spring Training, which I like as a kick-off to the year before they go to the warm-up jerseys for the rest of the preseason. I’ve been too busy to watch much of this preseason though, has that changed?

• Havok9120 says:

That’s the usual procedure, and I thought (because YES told me so) that that would be the case this season as well. But I would not be too surprised if we’re doing it so that MLB and Miami have some nice shots of a handful of big stars in the most iconic baseball uniform at the new shiny stadium.

• Hold on, am I missing something? The Yanks are wearing the blue shirts today. Did they wear the pinstripes some other time that I missed? I don’t know what everyone’s talking about.

• Havok9120 says:

I can’t see the game so I just assumed they were in pinstripes since this came up.

This was even more off topic than I thought.

• Ha, yeah. One dude’s like “the Yanks shouldn’t wear pinstripes during the preseason” and we’re all like “hold on, they’re not, what the F are we talking about.”

• mike_h says:

no the yankees are wearing ST road jerseys. They only wear pinstripes for the first HOME ST game. In 2009 for the first two ST exhibition games at the new Yankee stadium vs the Cubs they wore pinstripes (I was there)

• Plank says:

I have truly never considered it. I doubt you are the only one. Why would that bother you?

Is that true? I thought they had special spring training uniforms.

10. Mike HC says:

How big is the field? Looks like it might be pretty tough to hit homers in from that quick shot of the outfield.

11. Will (the other one) says:

Who’s that fat guy in the dugout that looks exactly like David Wells?

12. Countryclub says:

More good pub on Andury Acevedo today.

Mike, do you know what level he’s pitching at this yr?

13. Cross says:

Please, someone explain WHY MLB allows closed dome when it is 83 and sunny!?!?

• Justin Maxwell's Silver Hammer (formerly Rainbow Connection) says:

You can’t expect ‘athletes’ to deal with a nice day. Too much to ask.

• Countryclub says:

Jack curry tweeted that it’s very muggy there. That roof is going to be closed 70-80% of the time.

• Cross says:

Muggy. Give me a break. That is why MLB should have a rule keeping roof open unless it is raining.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Apparently you have no appreciation for how impossible it is to control your hair in muggy weather.

• Plank says:

The purpose of the dome is to increase attendance. People want to sit in air conditioning.

• Havok9120 says:

This. I dunno where you live/have lived Cross, but humidity as high as it gets here is just not something people want to pay to sit in for several hours. Especially in uncomfortable chairs and with expensive concessions.

• Esteban says:

If it leads to better baseball because the players aren’t instantly drained by the overpowering combination of heat and humidity, I’m ok with it.

• Bo Knows says:

You don’t live in the south do you? The saying “its not the heat its the humidity” is about as true a statement as there ever was.

14. Steve S. says:

Is that a new batting stance for Cano? Looks more closed than last year.

15. DM says:

Nice new ballpark.

16. mike_h says:

stadium looks nice

17. Countryclub says:

Stadium looks cheesy…even for Miami.

• Mike HC says:

ha … it seems like they were definitely going for that though. At least they didn’t half ass it, ha.

18. Avi says:

Brian Cashman is a bright guy. April fools!

19. RetroRob says:

Giancarlo. Thank god. Now I no longer will confuse him with that pitcher dude. They’re very similar.

20. RetroRob says:

Bad sign that the Marlins were not able to sell out today’s first look at their new park?

21. gageagainstthemachine says:

I know it’s not Opening Day, but isn’t it a bit pathetic how empty the stands are in their new stadium? Brand new stadium, Yankees in town, first game played, empty seats everywhere. Take note Tampa Bay…save your money…

• gageagainstthemachine says:

guess it’s not that empty at a second glance…but it still seems less than stellar excitement in Miami.

• Countryclub says:

The Marlins broadcast said there are 25k there…and that’s with half being Yankees fans. Ownership can’t be thrilled

22. RetroRob says:

So where is the HR monstrosity?

23. Esteban says:

The green walls sure are ugly. yikes

24. Improvident Lackwit says:

What happened to the HR structure? Did they not set it off?

25. flamingo says:

Just turned on the radio – CC doesn’t sound very sharp. How does he look?

26. Mike Axisa says:

The sculpture didn’t go off when Sanchez hit the homer!

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Saving it for the regular season?

• Plank says:

If the structure ever goes off during an actual game, the world will end since there will be no more point after the pinnacle of awesomeness that is that spectacle.

I, for one, am glad we have a few more days to cherish.

27. Esteban says:

That’s bullshit that that thing didn’t light up after the HR.

28. Havok9120 says:

ESPN Gamecast is looking pretty snazzy this year. I actually really like it. Some pretty nice new functionality (social media mostly).

29. Improvident Lackwit says:

God damn, Alex Rodriguez is stupid.

30. MMMMyyyKuroda says:

Anyone else tired of Brett Gardner trying to bunt his way on base all the time? I’d much rather him learn to swing the bat like a big boy…plus it diminishes value as a pitches per PA pest by bunting himself out like that on one pitch.

31. RetroRob says:

It would be cool is the glass broke on a foul ball.

• Will (the other one) says:

The Marlins’ broadcasters (who are great, by the way) were saying before that the team “turned Gaby Sanchez loose” the other day to make sure that wouldn’t happen.

32. RetroRob says:

One less number. Yankees retire #6.

33. RetroRob says:

CC’s velocity has been down.

Just helping the media create a new story line while Pineda is DL’d.

34. Dante Bichette rules says:

Fool of me, i thought we will see some of the prospects like Mason and Dante today. My dream lineup for 2015 is:

Mason Williams CF

Pitchers

CC Sabathia
    Greinke/Hamels/Cain
    Banuelos
    Pineda
    Hughes
    Closer D. Robertson and hopefully below the 189 million mark.

• Havok9120 says:

Take out one of the 20-25M/year starting pitchers and that is….possible. We’re not going to be able to pay Cano, Granderson, AND yet another huge FA contract methinks.

• Countryclub says:

If Arod is batting 5th in 2015, something has gone wrong with the rest of the team. I also don’t think there’s any chance one of those #2 pitchers are on the team (would be nice though).

I would love to see the rest of your roster shake out that way (minus Nunez)

• RetroRob says:

They’ll be way below $189M mark with that lineup, since many are cost controlled.

No Campos?

Bottom line, guys like Bichette, Williams and Sanchez all breaking into the Yankees starting lineup at the same time is never going to happen unless the Yankees were to collapse. It would take an early 90s scenario to get that many starting rookies into the lineup.

• RetroRob says:

BTW I want back and ran the numbers on that lineup, and even with all those rookies in the lineup, the Yankees won’t be way below the $189M mark as I thought. Adding in Cano’s and Grandreson’s new contracts, plus a Hamels/Cain, and the escalation in Phil Hughes’ contract and filling out the pen and the bench, and the Yankees are probably over.

If the Yankees really are intent on being below $189M and bringing back Cano and Granderson, I see little way to add in a Hamels. That gets back to why they traded for Pineda.

• Needed Pitching says:

4 guys starting for the Yankees in 2015 who are all starting 2012 in low A ball is ummm…..optimistic.

No harm in dreaming though.

35. Plank says:

Cut Ibanez! That bum! Only a double?

36. RetroRob says:

If we were in the regular season, Girardi would so have Gardner bunting here.

37. RetroRob says:

Very early indications, but the ball seems to fly here.

• Plank says:

I think I read that when domed it’s a hitters park, but when the dome is retracted it’s like Petco East.

• RetroRob says:

So it will be a hitters partk since it will always be domed during the summer? : -)

I was wondering if domed vs. closed would have an impact.

38. flamingo says:

Robbie is the best. As usual.

39. mike_h says:

Kearns looks lost in LF

40. mike_h says:

so CC was pitching sick, no wonder he was off today

41. Havok9120 says:

This is one heck of a strikezone if ESPN Gamecast is anywhere near accurate.

42. Havok9120 says:

Streak broken.

Season over.

43. mike_h says:

Mariano gave up his first ST run since 2008, sac fly

44. RetroRob says:

Time to start worrying about Mariano. He gives up a run.

45. bonestock94 says:

These kind of Mo appearances make me uptight, even if its completely meaningless.

46. Countryclub says:

Marlins president was just in the booth and he said that when they open the roof and the outfield windows, the ball flies. Hanley said he’d hit 150 HRs if they were able to play that way all yr.

47. Steve S. says:

Feinsand interviewed Girardi, who shed some light on the Pineda situation:

Girardi comparing Pineda injury to Hughes last year: “I think we’re going to be patient with this, just like we were with Phil. And I think you have to handle each case differently. They both, after throwing a substantial amount of innings, came back and didn’t quite have the same velocity they had the year before and came up with some shoulder tendinitis. There’s a lot of similarities, but I think you have to see how each guy is doing.”

Girardi on Pineda: “He’s still a work in progress. This is still a really young pitcher, and we’ve asked him to do some things to try and develop his changeup. I think there’s been a lot of focus on him in camp. There’s always somebody who gets that, and it was him this year. Maybe this little couple-week break might be really good for him actually.”

With Pettitte back in May, does the rotation competition continue? Girardi: “Eventually Pineda is going to come back too. It gives us some time to sort things out. Things most of the time have a way of working themselves out. To speculate what might happen is kind of silly because we didn’t expect an injury because all of our starters had been so healthy. It’s really a month or so, maybe a little bit more.”

• Steve S. says:

Hughes was out for 2 1/2 months, so if they approach it the same way Pineda could be out a similar amount of time. With Hughes, they let his shoulder heal, then took a month to whip his ass into shape, then sent him on rehab assignment where he built up his innings.

But at the end Girardi leaves open the possibility it could be as little as 5-6 weeks. But in either case, I don’t see how he’s ready before Andy (who’s targeting May 1st) at which point there’s no spot open in the rotation barring injury/ineffectiveness.

• Fin says:

Saying there is no spot, is not quite true. It just depends what Pineda has. If he is the Pineda of last year they will make a spot for him, as that pitcher is better than any the Yankees have save for CC. Mostly likely he wont be that pitcher in 5 or 6 weeks though, and he spends some time in AAA becoming that guy.

• Needed Pitching says:

this

• Steve S. says:

Let’s use the ‘everyone is pitching well’ scenario. Whose spot does he take?

Not Hughes, who Cashman has been firm about keeping in the rotation (I suspect for future trade plans). Not Pettitte or Kuroda, both are veterans who would be useless in the pen. That leaves Nova, and I’m sorry but you don’t take a 16 game winner out of the rotation. The Yanks have brought in a litany of good veteran pitchers (Pavano, Vazquez, Burnett) who never won 16 games or pitched as well as Nova, you don’t just kick a guy like that to the curb.

I think he waits for someone to get hurt.

• Needed Pitching says:

so you don’t kick Nova, who doesn’t have Pineda’s upside, had a worse spring than Pineda, and who was not as good as Pineda last year, to the minors, but they will let potentially the second best starter on the staff rot in the minors because Nova got great run support last year???

If Pineda returns to form, they will make room. I’m sure they will take it slow with him to make sure he’s really set, but when he is, they aren’t going to leave him in the minors hoping for an injury to open a spot in the rotation for possibly their second best starter.

• Steve S. says:

You know who had lot of upside? Joba Chamberlain. So did Phil Hughes. You know who had a low ceiling, the guy who won 21 games for the D-Backs last year. And the guy with the big nose who’s coming back in May that has won 240 regular season games and 19 postseason games.

I love upside as much as the next guy, but I’ll take proven performance every day of the week.

• Mike Axisa says:

That’s what the Twins do. No one every won anything playing it safe.

• Needed Pitching says:

“, but I’ll take proven performance every day of the week.”

so, since Pineda was better than Nova last year, and was better in ST until the shoulder problem, you would agree that Pineda should be in the rotation ahead of Nova, if it came down to that

Also, Kennedy did have fairly high upside (granted not considered as high as Hughes or Joba)

• Steve S. says:

In all honesty, the guy who I have the least amount of faith in on the staff is Hughes. Especially pitching in Yankee Stadium. My idea scenario would be to have him pitch well enough to deal him midseason for a young RF or C with a few years of team control. But that’s too far down the road (even for me) to discuss yet.

• Needed Pitching says:

I think Hughes would be a close second to Nova in terms of losing a spot, but I think if Hughes is pitching well, they won’t mess with him. They need to make a decision on Hughes future with the organization this year. If he pitches well, he can be part of the rotation next year or trade bait, if he doesn’t, he either ends up in the bullpen or becomes a possible non-tender candidate after the season. I think Nova loses out to Phil because there is no real time constraint to find out what he is. Sending him to AAA, while unfortunate and likely undeserved, doesn’t really have long term negative implications.

• Steve S. says:

Here’s the thing with Hughes. He’s awful as a starter in YS3. You can’t give him a long term deal with his health history. To me, the smart move is to deal him now while he’s still relatively cheap and has some team control left this year and next.

• Needed Pitching says:

yeah, I’d be fairly shocked if he was still with the Yanks in 2014. They just need to see what he can do to find out if he is more valuable in trade, or filling out the rotation (or bullpen) next year. I’m guessing his past health issues and inconsistencies are going to severely limit his trade value unless he proves he can have at least one full, healthy, good season.

• Fin says:

I think that is the ideal scenario for the Yankees as well. I think that is why no one brings up moving Hughes from the rotation. The yankees have to build Hughes’s value and that cant be accomplished in minor leagues or as the long man. Its pretty clear he has no place on the Yankees after 2013. He either becomes a top of the rotation pitcher and an expensive FA, or he is a middle of the rotation guy and a fairly expensive FA that the Yankees can fill that spot in house on the cheap.

• Steve S. says:

Bingo. He has to stay there this year. Has to, unless he pitches his way out of the rotation like he did last year.

If you have it in the back of your mind that you could deal him this year, he has to stay in the rotation and Pineda either stays in AAA or someone else goes.

• Fin says:

Not a fair comparrison at all Steve. Huhes and Joba never had a major league season as a starter like Pineda did last year. Petite was never as dominate either, though he has had better seasons when you consider his playoff greatness.

Comparing Joba and Hughes potential compared to what Pineda has actually delivered is not a good agrument. Pineda has demonstrated his upside at the MLB level not in the minors and not scouts projecting. He is a known quantity to an extent and if he comes back healthy is a better pitcher than Petite (now), Nova, Garcia and probably Kuroda. while someone loosing their spot may not be fair based on their performance, this is MLB and this is the Yankees trying to win a world series. A healthy Pineda will take someones spot. Gaurantee it.

• Steve S. says:

Joba was a damn fine starter in 08, and an unwatchable one in 09. Point being, upside isn’t everything. I like Nova’s ability to eat innings, and guys like him can win loads of games on a team that scores runs like the Yankees. I also think his upside is higher than people give him credit for, he was a different (much better) pitcher post-slider.

• Needed Pitching says:

Nobody is saying get rid of Nova or knocking his ability. I think he’ll be at least a strong 4, possibly a 3. Pineda is likely at least a 3, possibly a future 1. I just think Pineda is better and if he get’s back fully healthy, and everyone is healthy and pitching well, Nova is the most likely to get the temporary shaft.

• Fin says:

I think the Yankees first move is trading Garcia. I think the best candidate to be moved to the long man/6th starter role is Petite as I think its possible a 40 year old Petite on a comeback attempt is the worst Yankee pitcher. We know that wont happen though. Really it only leaves Nova, which truly does suck, but its a better option than a 95mph fastball throwing, strikeout machine sitting in AAA.

• Steve S. says:

Trading Garcia really doesn’t factor in here. When Andy comes back, you have a rotation of CC-Pettitte-Kuroda-Hughes-Nova with Garcia in the pen. That’s the staff that Pineda has to crack.

• Fin says:

I bring up Garcia becasue I dont think the Yankees will send Nova to AAA unless he needs work. It would be too much of a slap in the face. It would open a spot to slide Nova and keep him in NY.

• Steve S. says:

Send Nova to the pen? That’s a novel idea, I hadn’t considered that one. He could be useful there as a latter day Ramiro Mendoza type. But I still like Nova better in the rotation.

• Fin says:

Yea, I agree I like him in the rotation better also. At this point I think hes better than Hughes and Petite, but for different reasons, they most likely wont loose their spots. It would be a shit sandwich for him to eat this year, but it would only be temporary as he would be back in the rotation next year.

• CJ says:

Over/under Pineda starts 20?

• Fin says:

I’m going to have to go under. I’m thinking its going to take him some time to get back to full health and full speed and with the yankees quality pitching depth he might not see the rotation until July. I still think he plays a huge part in how deep the yankees go in the playoffs. A big power pitcher, strikeout machine is what everyone wants in the playoffs, and I can still envision Pineda being the number 2 guy in the playoffs.

• RetroRob says:

I’ll go under. I think we’ll see him back until June 1 at the earliest.

• Jesse says:

At this point I’m taking the under.

48. Esteban says:

JR Murphy is an old looking 21 year old jeez

49. Esteban says:

Grand Slam Cervelli just missed it.

• RetroRob says:

Right before the concussion last year, Cervelli was driving the ball as well as I can remember, and he mentioned he had changed some of his hitting mechanics while working with Kevin Long. Curious to see if that was just a short-term hot streak, or if he might have a bit more pop in his bat this year.

50. Fin says:

So Wade looked bad again today. If “stairs” didnt get hurt, you have to think he would have locked up a spot. What a shame, can only imagine the heart break that guy is feeling.

• M-Three says:

Sorry I don’t get the reference but who is “stairs”? Are you refering to D-Rob because if you are he is already back.

• Fin says:

Sorry running joke on RAB about the conspiracy of Cabral to hurt D-Rob on the stairs and becoming known as Cesar “stairs” Cabral.

• Cesar "Stairs" Cabral says:

My heart is indeed broken, dear Fin. Muchas gracias. Autographed x-ray of my elbow for you.

51. mike_h says:

hey familiar face, Chad Gaudin

52. mustang says:

Wow! Mo give up a earn run that’s like the first time in spring training since the mid 90′s or something.