Apr

ST Game Thread: The Finale

(REUTERS/Steve Nesius)

At long last, the end of the exhibition season is upon us. The Yankees will close out their Spring Training schedule at home against the Mets today, then enjoy tomorrow’s off-day before officially kicking off the 2012 regular season against the Rays on Friday afternoon. Oh, and by the way, Andy Pettitte is going to return to the mound and throw an inning this afternoon. Hooray for that. Enjoy the last meaningless game, the roller coaster starts in two days. Here’s the lineup…

SS Derek Jeter
CF Curtis Granderson
2B Robinson Cano
3B Alex Rodriguez
1B Mark Teixeira
RF Nick Swisher
DH Raul Ibanez
C Russell Martin
LF Brett Gardner

RHP Freddy Garcia

Available Pitchers: LHP Andy Pettitte will follow Garcia, though I doubt he enters the game mid-inning. RHP Cory Wade, LHP Clay Rapada, RHP Dave Robertson, LHP Rigoberto Arrebato, LHP Vidal Nuno, RHP Brandon Braboy, and RHP John Brebbia are also available if needed.

Available Position Players: C Frankie Cervelli, 1B Eric Chavez, 2B Bill Hall, SS Jayson Nix, 3B Eduardo Nunez, LF Andruw Jones, and CF Justin Maxwell will replace the starters.

Today’s game starts at 12:05pm ET and can be seen on YES locally (but not SNY) and MLB Network nationally. Enjoy.

1. mike_h says:

seriously beat the Mets this time

2. Bartolo's Colon says:

no live chat for pettitte’s return??

• Stu H says:

Time to panic over Pettitte. His velocity is only 86 mph! Panic! (Btw, his avg fastball velocity was 89 in 2010. And I am kidding about the panic.)

3. D-Rob da man says:

Is freddy sweating yet?

4. Plank says:

So their first road series is almost like a home series since it involves no travel. Every little bit helps in the marathon that is the baseball season.

• Mike Myers says:

And there will be more Yankee fans than Rays fans in the arena. Really similar to a home game.

• Havok9120 says:

Eh. Opening Day will probably see more Rays fans.

They should enjoy it, because its the only time it’ll happen all season.

• RetroRob says:

“Probably” see more Rays fans? The fact that it’s not guaranteed says it all.

Be interesting to see how the Marlins draw in their new park and location. The two Florida teams have not done well on the attendance front, with the argument built around the location of the parks. Hope that’s true.

• MannyGeee says:

not true, they will give away some tickets to Tampa residents in September while in the thick of another playoff hunt.

seriously, what a fcking embarrassment.

5. pat says:

Phelpsieeeee. Longman. Nice.

6. Mike Axisa says:

Heh, Garcia didn’t throw a single fastball to Duda with the bases loaded.

7. MP says:

Via LoHud, Phelps confirmed he made the team.

8. Havok9120 says:

Uh oh. DOOMED!!

9. Rey22 says:

I just want Pettitte to pitch already so I can leave and get some food.

10. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Great, Lou Pinella is in the booth. Excuse me while I hang myself.

11. mike_h says:

Garcia looks sharp except for the HR

12. thenamestsam says:

Does anyone know if Phelps has pitched on back to back days this spring? I can’t remember.

13. RetroRob says:

Interesting that Phelps confirmed he made the team, but for some reason Girardi on TV right now won’t completely confirm it. Clearly the Yankees have told Phelps, so I can’t think of why Girardi won’t confirm it. Odd.

14. mike_h says:

start watchin folks, Pettitte is going to pitch

15. Mike Axisa says:

Can not believe Andy Pettitte is now pitching for the 2012 Yankees.

16. mike_h says:

andy hitting high 80s velo

17. mike_h says:

13 pitches, fastball reaching 87. not bad for someone who hasnt pitched in 1 year

18. Plank says:

Andy’s spring training WHIP is at 3.000 right now. Ouch!

Or is that too small of a sample size?

19. Havok9120 says:

That was way more exciting than any one inning of Spring Training has any right to be.

20. Double-J says:

Have been working with the game on in the background, so maybe I missed it…but can anyone tell me why Zach Wilson is wearing Cano’s #24?

• Havok9120 says:

Is he? If so, he’s probably #24 in the High-A squad and a mix up was made.

• Double-J says:

Yeah, it’s confusing to me, and led to a frantic Google search to see a.) if Cano was changing his number b.) if Wilson is #24 down in SI. It seems like neither is the case though, SI Yankees page shows him as #47. Weird.

• Double-J says:

…and it seems to be confirmed, because Kelvin Castro is wearing #25 in an SI Yankees uni. Okay. Crisis averted :P

• Double-J says:

Also, his uniform is different than others (ex. Bill Hall, who came up later that inning). Are they letting the SI Yankees use their unis and numbers for ST games? I never noticed that before.

• Double-J says:

Sure enough, Kay talked about how Mahoney was wearing his SI # and it was also Cervelli’s #17, and the potential confusion that could arise. Awesome.

21. Needed Pitching says:

good to see Houdini is rounding into regular season form

• Havok9120 says:

Yup. He let that guy get to third since there isn’t enough pressure without runners in scoring position for it to properly prepare him for the regular season.

22. Havok9120 says:

For some reason, I find the idea of every manager the Rays have ever had being in the ballpark Friday….exciting.

I just think it’d be pretty cool if it happened.

23. Havok9120 says:

Frankie C showing the bat.

24. Alkaline says:

Bam Fran!

He got a hold of that one.

25. RetroRob says:

It probably wouldn’t have meant much either way if Andy had struck out the side on nine pitches, or gave up three runs, but it sure was good to see him out on the mound again.

I was most interested in the velocity on his fastball. I wasn’t expecting him to be at peak, but if he was only hitting a Jamie Moyeresq 81, then I would have been very concerned. His average fastball when last we saw him was consistently at 89, generally ranging from 87-91. Overall, what we saw today in one inning was about three miles off peak Pettitte, which frankly is pretty good considering it’s been eighteen months since he pitched in a game. Pettitte’s velocity (no, no, not using v-lo) generally increases a month or two into the season, and that’s after a full ST. In other words, what I saw today is a good sign.

Pettitte as a lefty and a good cutter should be quite successful if he can get his average fastball around 88. He wasn’t too far off that today.

26. Havok9120 says:

Kay’s idea for a pitch clock with the bases empty would ruin Josh Beckett’s career.

It might be worth it just for that.

27. Havok9120 says:

The kids are having fun with the Met’s kids. Errors and interesting pitching are helping.

28. handtius says:

i wish i could be home right now watching…i’m using the jewish holiday to get out of work early to watch opening day.

• Havok9120 says:

I was planning on just skipping my afternoon class on Friday, but then I was told that the university is shutting down for Easter. Huzzah!

29. RetroRob says:

The first game of spring training is always exciting…almost as exciting as the final game of spring training.

On to games that count.

30. Havok9120 says:

Uh oh. We have a Minor League Guy moment going on. No one in the Press Box or the Booth has any idea who’s pitching right now. He’s High-A’s (or maybe SI’s) #30.

31. gc says:

Can someone update those of us who can’t see or hear the game how Andy is doing (or how he did)?

Thanks!

• Havok9120 says:

He looked like Andy. There was a single on the ground by a would-be basestealer who couldn’t figure out Andy and got thrown out trying to steal off a bad jump, an IF pop up, and a ground ball out.

He wasn’t as sharp as he was, but why would he be? Its his, what, third week? His fastball was siting around 87 I think. I wasn’t really watching that too closely. I don’t think he faced any major leaguers but I’m not sure since I don’t keep up with AAAA teams. All in all, I loved seeing him on the mound (got a nice standing-o from the sellout crowd) and was very happy with the results and how he looked in general.