Apr

Update: Yankees place Brett Gardner on DL

Update (11:21pm): Via Sweeny Murti, Gardner has a bone bruise and a strain in his right elbow. It happened making that catch Tuesday night. No word on the timetable for his return, but Joe Girardi indicated that he could be back in 15 days during his post-game press conference.

10:44pm: Via Mark Feinsand, the Yankees will place Brett Gardner on the disabled list and recall right-handed reliever Cody Eppley. Gardner was a late scratch tonight due to stiffness in his right elbow, and it’s obviously something more than routine soreness if he’s already on the shelf. If you remember, he made an sliding catch in last night’s game and appeared to land on his arm/wrist awkwardly. He said after the game that he was fine, but you never know.

I hope the Eppley move is just temporary; I’m not a big fan of 13-man pitching staffs. The Yankees don’t have any Triple-A outfielders on the 40-man roster, but they can easily make room for Dewayne Wise — who’s hitting the snot out of the ball so far — or Chris Dickerson by sliding Joba Chamberlain or Cesar Cabral over to the 60-day DL. I suppose it depends on Gardner’s diagnosis and his recovery time.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Too bad we couldn’t have kept Maxwell…

• Rookie says:

My thoughts, exactly. Or maybe it’s more a case of too bad we DIDN’T keep Maxwell. You can argue that we COULD have.

2. forensic says:

Great, the second best hitter so far is now out. Way too much of Jones/Ibanez in the field now and more pitching changes with one less bench guy. Oh goodie.

3. Plank says:

The sky is falling!!!

4. Plank says:

So the Yankees had no back up in the OF for this game.

• forensic says:

Girardi said Nunez is in the mix with Jones and Ibanez to play out there, so I’m sure he could’ve if needed.

Hopefully it is just the 15 days as Girardi said he thinks it will be.

5. Johnny says:

It sounds like Eppley is up to cover the bullpen if something goes ill over the next few days. (Most of the non-7/8/9 inning guys pitched today, right?)

6. skip says:

They should bring Cerveli back, his presence brings more life to the team even as a 3rd catcher!!!!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

This has to be my mother-in-law commenting here. Yer not fooling anyone with the “Skip” thing.

And, no, they’re not bringing back Bubba Crosby, no matter how much you beg.

7. Jesse says:

I have a feeling we’ll see Cody Eppley on Saturday.

8. Havok9120 says:

Ahhhhhhhhh crap.

My favorite position player younger than 35 is out.

Le sigh.

• Plank says:

Sadly those parameters disqualify quite a few Yankees.

• Ted Nelson says:

Like 4 or 5?

• Plank says:

Yes, out of 13.

• Plank says:

That’s 4 of the 17 position players in the league on the Yankees.

• forensic says:

17? It’s 13 as you said, though that’s kind of being unfair because is anyone really going to say Chris Stewart or Eric Chavez? I would also include Martin in there personally, but I guess someone could like him the most for some odd reason. Either way it’s one under or one over half the position players. That does eliminate quite a few guys.

• Plank says:

That’s 17 position players in the American League over the age of 34.

If you want to only include starters, then it’s 3 of the 9 Yankees starters over the age of 34 and 3 of the 12 starters in the AL.

No matter how you slice it, the Yankees bats are old.

• forensic says:

Yuck, 4 on the list, White Sox with 3 (everyone knows where they’re going this year) and Angels with 2 are the only others with multiple.

• Plank says:

We would have had Abreu if Burnett didn’t veto that trade, too.

For whatever reason, the Yankees just don’t seem too concerned with age. And to their credit, it’s served them well over the years…most years at least.

• forensic says:

True on Abreu. I guess you could also add Damon to the Indians to give them two, but again, like the White Sox they suck too.

• forensic says:

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your last post, I thought we were still just talking about the Yankees and you were saying it really only disqualified a small portion of their players.

But, there are really only 12 starters in the AL 35 and over and the Yanks have 25% of them? Geez, that’s disheartening, I didn’t really realize it was that bad.

• bpdelia says:

Lol, wow. Gardnet over cano, texiera and martin granderson eh? i’m cool with Gardner but he woild be at best my fourth favorite under 35 pos player

• RetroRob says:

Nope, sorry, I’m a Swisher fan.

• Havok9120 says:

Its not that I think he’s the best, or anywhere near the best. I just really like the guy.

For the record, I forgot about Swisher, and now I’m torn.

Boooo.

• forensic says:

I could totally see that. Tex used to be my favorite in that group but the frustration with him has really dropped him. Granderson, Swisher, and Martin aren’t really all that up there for me. That leaves Cano and Gardner and given their skill sets and the frustration I have with Cano sometimes, I often go for Gardner too.

9. Pat D says:

You just had to be so gritty and gutty, didn’t you, Brett? I hope you’re happy now!

10. aRX says:

Wait…why AREN’T they on the 60-day DL already? There’s no way either of them come back before July, is there?

Anyway, hopefully Gardy’s injury is nothing serious. One good thing about April injuries, plenty of time to put it behind him and get back to 100%

• RetroRob says:

Seems like they don’t put players on the 60-DL until they have to. Not sure why. Maybe there’s an additional cost associated.

• Havok9120 says:

I’ve never gotten it either, but most teams seem to do it this way.

To be honest, I’d do it the same way. That’s just how my personality works.

• Mike Axisa says:

You can’t put players on the 60-day until you have to. The 40-man needs to be full and you have to add a player right away.

11. bpdelia says:

And 4th because I have a fairly irrational salary based anger buiding,around texiera but in my more lucid moments gardner finishes second to last in even your narrow parameters foe me. But hes a nice player. I just don’t buy that he is a 5 win player. hes exhibit a in the defense component of war being busted argument for me.

• Havok9120 says:

As I explained later, my “favorite player poll” has nothing to do with performance. I just like what I know of the guy and the way he plays day-to-day.

12. RetroRob says:

Hmmm, a late scratch at the start of the game and on the DL shortly after the end of it. Not good. The Yankees know what this is but haven’t said anything.

13. Mike R. says:

Not surprised Gardner was hurt on that play. It was eerily similar to Matsui’s broken wrist on a Mark Loretta flyball.

14. SoonerYankee says:

Who comes up after Eppley? Cuts? Wise?

15. SoonerYankee says:

Who comes up after Eppley? Cust? Wise? Do not really see Laird or Mesa even though they are on the 40…

16. William Bonney says:

So one of the few guys we had that was going good is now gone for two weeks. Jeter can only do so much by himself. Right now he’s carrying the ballclub as the pitching staff continues to struggle and the offense minus Jeter can’t hit a lick. Put Stewart in there again. He can’t do any worse than Martin’s .148

17. Bernard says:

I wanted to see Dewayne Wise promoted just to see what he can do. I think he’s definitely earned a shot. And I like his lefty bat.