Apr

Yanks have no plans to restart extension talks with Martin

Via Jon Heyman, the Yankees have no plans to restart contract extension talks with Russell Martin during the season. The 29-year-old backstop has a very OBP-heavy .310 wOBA in the early going and will become a free agent nest winter. The two sides discussed a multi-year contract before agreeing to put talks on hold before the season. The Yankees really like Martin for his glovework behind the plate and his clubhouse skills, but the Yadier Molina contract really upped the price of catching. Austin Romine‘s persistent back problems make the club’s catching future pretty murky, so this will definitely be a situation to monitor.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Alfredo says:

I think the yankees are better off not resigning him. i would really like to sign Jesus Montero from the Diamonbacks.

2. Jay Kap Jr says:

Miguel Montero will be a Yankee.

3. Darren says:

To quote Bruce Springsteen’s Dad,

“That’s good.”

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

Meh. I like Russell, but I don’t like him as much as his potential price will probably indicate. We’ll see where this goes.

I’d still love it if JR Murphy somehow really was the real deal as a catching prospect as well.

5. Tyrone Sharpton says:

Shoulda converted Maxwell to catcher, he’d a been cheaper. stupid yankees

6. Brandon says:

Umm is this really news? I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that the Yankees never negotiate with their guys until after the season…

7. Gonzo says:

% they offer him the 1 year/~$12mm tender offer to get draft compensation?

After Yadier’s deal, they have to offer it, right? Holding all other things constant.

8. bonestock94 says:

I like Martin but I don’t think there’s a pressing need to extend him.

9. dan scabet says:

if they extend him no more than two yrs. hopefully gary sanchez is ready by then.