Record Last Week: 3-4 (23 RS, 28 RA)
Season Record: 15-13 (141 RS, 129 RA, 15-13 pythag. record), 4.0 games back in AL East
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Rays (three games, Tues. to Thurs.), vs. Mariners (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- Thanks to a freak accident on Thursday, Mariano Rivera will miss the rest of the season with a torn right ACL. He will return to pitch next season and the Yankees will not look to add a reliever via trade. At least not right now. David Robertson is expected to assume closer duties.
- The week on the field started with three games against the Orioles. The Yankees took the opener behind Hiroki Kuroda but couldn’t muster anything off Brian Matusz the next day. Jake Arrieta shut them right down in Wednesday’s finale.
- The Yankees headed to Kansas City for a four-game weekend set, but David Phelps didn’t get any support in his first career start. CC Sabathia and Derek Jeter led the team to a win on Friday, but the Yankees couldn’t put anything together the next day. The offense came back to life in yesterday’s win.
- Non-Mo Injury News: Eric Chavez was placed on the 7-day DL with whiplash and a possible concussion. Brett Gardner is starting a rehab assignment today. Nick Swisher returned to the lineup yesterday after missing time with a low-grade hamstring strain. Michael Pineda‘s labrum surgery went well. Minor leaguer Jose Campos will miss time with elbow inflammation.
- Following Rivera’s injury, the Yankees recalled right-hander Cody Eppley and outfielder Dewayne Wise. Infielder Jayson Nix took Chavez’s spot on the roster. Long man D.J. Mitchell was optioned to Triple-A in the process.
- Andy Pettitte threw a pair of minor league tune-up starts: 5.2 innings on Monday and and five innings on Sunday. He threw 95+ pitches in each start and could return to the big league team next weekend, though nothing has been officially announced yet.
- The Yankees signed 26-year-old Cuban outfielder Adonis Garcia to a minor league contract.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.