May

Game 25: The Search for Offense

(Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

We’re not used to the Yankees not scoring runs ’round these parts, so it becomes painfully obvious rather quickly when the team is in a collective offensive slump. I suppose the good news is that over the last few years, the Yankees are 23-8 in games immediately following a shutout loss (via Mark Feinsand). If only had was meaningful in some way. Here’s the lineup, which looks quite a bit like last year’s primary setup…

DH Derek Jeter
CF Curtis Granderson
1B Mark Teixeira
3B Alex Rodriguez
2B Robinson Cano
RF Andruw Jones
SS Eduardo Nunez
Russell Martin
LF Jayson Nix

RHP David Phelps

Tonight’s game starts at 8:10pm ET and can be seen on YES locally and MLB Network nationally. Try to enjoy.

Nick Swisher Update: Swisher will take some swings in the cage today and if he comes through that well, he’ll do some running tomorrow for the first time since feeling his hamstring grab over the weekend.

Mariano Rivera Update: The Yanks’ closer hurt his right knee during batting practice. We’ll have updates in this thread as they become available.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Greg says:

Should I press the doom button yet?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Apparently you belong in diapers according to the site’s logic.

• jjyank says:

No…the site’s logic is simply to wait for a real prognosis before jumping off the bridge.

• Don'tcha Know? says:

Haha. I know. I cannot stand Tilapia and JJYank. They’re unbearable. You’re either a child, troll, or “fucking idiot” . . .

2. forensic says:

Ugh, Singleton and Cone. The only thing to make it more boring would be adding Flaherty too.

3. I posted this in the other thread, but I know it will get more response here: Absolute worst case scenario: Mo tore a ligament in his knee and is done for the year, and possibly forever. Result of worst possible scenario: Me being horribly sad that one of my all time favorite players loses his career to injury, and our bullpen goes from being the hands down best in the league to just one of the best.

4. Pinstripes In Cali says:

When Singleton says the whole lineups-first pitch-baseball thing, it’s really not nearly as effective as Kay.

5. Bartolo's Colon says:

win one for mo

6. Nathan says:

For a second I thought “Why is there a Mussina picture?”.

7. Bartolo's Colon says:

at least during the regular season, haha

8. joek says:

Is gameday right ? Is Duffy really throwing 99?

• RkyMtnYank says:

I saw 97, but, throwing a change to Jeter to speed up his bat when he was late on everything was a mistake.

• Mike Axisa says:

The PitchFX system in KC is a few MPH hot for some reason. They can’t figure it out, have replaced the system and everything. Phelps is going to come out throwing 94-96 and everyone will get excited.

Duffy does throw hard through, he’s around 95 usually.

• Bartolo's Colon says:

that is really crazy, i think i remember joba lighting it up there too. it is amazing that no one can figure that out though

• Mike Axisa says:

I went to an event where one of MLBAM’s guys spoke, and he said they’ve tried everything. They replaced the equipment, the software, then ripped out the whole thing two winters ago and it’s still off.

• Bartolo's Colon says:

how do they actually know its off? just from what the pitchers average in other parks. is it possible that the ball just travels faster there? probably not but it would be cool

• Pat D says:

It’s gotta have something to do with the atmosphere or stadium conditions or jet stream or something like that then, right?

• forensic says:

I wish you could tell Singleton and Cone that so they would stop reacting to the velocities.

• forensic says:

On Sunday they’ll be going nuts thinking that Hughes has suddenly refound his 96 mph fastball too.

• MannyGeee says:

Quick, get Freddy back in the rotation for Saturday, imagine what he could do if his 2 seamer touched 92….. OK 87

9. forensic says:

Thanks for calling that tag up about 7 minutes after it happened Kenny.

10. Professor Longnose says:

Hey, everyone, how ab out some “Ha ha! A. J. sucks”?

11. forensic says:

Singleton is way too obsessed with how people look in BP. Everyone looks great in BP.

12. Bartolo's Colon says:

weak

13. RkyMtnYank says:

damn that was a nice third pitch

14. Erica says:

I SWEAR TO GOD NUNEZ

15. forensic says:

Cano has now struckout in 6 straight games for the first time since May of 2007. He just has no idea what he’s doing up there right now.

16. Professor Longnose says:

Welcome to 2012 Yankee infield defense, Phelps.

17. Athenian says:

The upside of the first inning is that the hitting is not just an issue at home.

Now with Rivera out – it will be for the year with an ACL – things look more positive by the day.

18. Pat D says:

Well he’s already better than Ibanez.

19. RkyMtnYank says:

Hey look at that, there’s an outfielder out there!

20. I'm sexy and I Cano it says:

Good thing Nunez wasn’t playing LF. He would’ve turned that into an inside the parker.

21. Jimmy Jam says:

Nice catch, rook!

22. I'm sexy and I Cano it says:

Phelps is nervous.

23. forensic says:

This is going well…

24. FIPster Doofus says:

The way things are going, I’m surprised Phelps didn’t tear his ACL on that.

25. forensic says:

That was some swing there Butler.

26. Professor Longnose says:

Phelps’s first big sK as a starter! Nice!

27. I'm sexy and I Cano it says:

That was an ugly hack by Butler. It’s hard to believe that guy’s only 26. He looks like he could be 32.

28. flamingo says:

Way to settle down, Phelps!

29. Zooboy says:

Nunez made a play! Nunez made a play!

30. david Phelps: Hall of Famer

31. chcmh says:

If the ball goes to left I’m nervous, if it goes to short I’m nervous, if it goes to right I’m nervous, now if it goes from the mound to first base OR the plate I’m nervous. I’m okay though if the ball boy picks up the foul balls.

32. Stratman9652 says:

Apparently, the KC ballpark is bound and determined to break all our pitchers knees.

33. forensic says:

They show that video and talk about Phelps in the background. I’m looking more at Tex talking to Long and looking completely lost at what’s happening with his swing.

34. Tom says:

Martin needs to work the count here…

35. The Dude says:

I think the Yankees are trying to break the record for least time in to make three outs.

36. flamingo says:

That was a really fast 1-2-3. Ugh.

37. handtius says:

so, anyone call for phelps’ head yet?

38. Pinstripes In Cali says:

That new reporter gal, Monica or whoever, kinda sucks.

39. Shit, I’m not even watching the game and from the sound I knew that was gone off the bat.

40. Talking to my friend on FB about the Rivera injury, and he said “master of the split finger fastball. love that freakin pitch.” I don’t even now how to respond…

• Widget says:

De-friend them and pretend you never knew them.

• Pinstripes In Cali says:

Hahahhahahahah. Rivera wouldn’t know how to throw a splitter if his life depended on it. You should respond about how McGwire was the master of the triple, while Clemens got by on guile and wit with his low-speed junk.

• MannyGeee says:

He’s fucking with you… Tell me he’s fucking with you…

• No, he’s not really a baseball guy, he’s more of a basketball I explained to him that calling Mo master of a splitter is the equivalent of calling Steve Novak master of the 18 footer, and explained the difference between a splitter and cutter visa vie speed and break.

41. Pinstripes In Cali says:

Aaaaaaand now Phelps shits the bed…………

42. flamingo says:

He worked back from 3-0 – niiiiice.

43. Athenian says:

That may be a hole the Yanks can’t get out of.

44. The Dude says:

Fastballs to Moustakas are ill advised. Would’ve thrown him anything but…

45. GardnergoesYardner says:

Singleton/Cone booth is such a nice weekend treat.

Top 3 Booths (Feel free to rank your own)
    1. Kay/Leiter/O’Neill
    2.Singleton/Cone
    3. Kay/O’Neill/Flaherty

Worst
    1. Kay/Singleton
    2. Lorenz/Flaherty
    3. Kay/Flaherty

• jjyank says:

Best is Singleton/Cone/O’neil in my opinion. I don’t dislike Kay, he’s way better than many other teams’ primary play-by-play guy, but that’s my preferred trio.

46. Don'tcha Know? says:

Getting beat by the Royals in KC. Ouch. Should they lose this series we’ll be hearing quite a bit about rocky bottoms.

• RkyMtnYank says:

It’s the second inning of the first game, you should probably stay away from high places.

• Don'tcha Know? says:

OMFG. One more reference to ledges and bridges and I really AM going to kill myself. STFU. Please.

• RkyMtnYank says:

Ok, just jump now then!!!

• handtius says:

then stop fucking leaning off a fucking ledge. we fell the same way about these ridiculous comments.

This.

• forensic says:

I just don’t understand why everyone can’t just be a fan in their own way and if you don’t like their way then ignore their comments.

• jjyank says:

I think it has more to do with the extreme reaction he goes to than his actual opinion. It’s not a calm “I don’t have faith in this team right now”, it’s a “ZOMG we’re teh loozing in the 3rd inningz by one run! DOOMED”. Hyperbole, I know, but a civil discussion would not elicit the reaction he gets. And it’s not just this comment.

• Don'tcha Know? says:

Or, you know, you can call me a troll . . . That always works out swell

• forensic says:

So what? If that’s how he wants to be, then let him be. I don’t see why people take it so personally when someone is not happy with the team if they phrase differently than someone else.

• jjyank says:

I’m not taking it personally, I just think a little perspective might help people.

• Don'tcha Know? says:

Thank you. And the funny part is that I’m not even a ledge jumper . . . I’m simply reacting on the FACT that this team is playing horribly at the moment. I’m not commenting on the entire season, the playoffs, last year . . . Just now. It’s like they get offended when the team doesn’t perform well and someone points it out. My bad, I guess. But, also, opinions are very, very, very bad. And, I almost forgot, I’m a troll, child, and a “fu**ing idiot” so you can’t regard what I write with any ounce of clarity or justification.

• jjyank says:

Your opinions are fine. It’s just the vehement, angry way you proclaim them. I realize there is nothing I can say to change anything, so I’ll leave you alone. I’ve tried to remain calm, despite your rantings, so I give up. Period.

Good day sir.

• Don'tcha Know? says:

Yeah. I’m the angry one. That’s right . . . Yeah . . . Right . . . Ok. And, of course, because I don’t agree with you, I’m ranting. God, you’re condescending. From telling me what to do yesterday and trying to pigeon-hole me as the trolling, angry ranter . . . C’mon, dude. Any animosity on this thread is a product of you and your crony, Tilapia. I give up. So long as you have your keyboard there’s no point in me responding.

Good day, sir. I bid thee adieu.

• jjyank says:

I told you to relax, it’s just one game, one series, in early May. That’s it. It wasn’t a command, it was a suggestion. And you freaked. So here it is again, not a command, just friendly advice.

Chill dude. This is baseball. We’re supposed to be enjoying this.

• handtius says:

when the same comment is made over and over, it get’s harder and harder to ignore.

• jjyank says:

I guess this is why we don’t get along. You say “ouch” in a 1-0 game in the early innings of the first game of a series, I say “the game’s not over yet”.

• Don'tcha Know? says:

Yeah, just as I did last night and the night before that. Hmm . . . seems as though my auguring skills have been spot on. You’re right though, the game isn’t over, but if you can honestly tell me that you’re genuinely confident in this offense right now . . . well, then . . . I guess that makes you the “child”, “troll”, and “fu**ing idiot”, huh? This team’s in a major rut right now, down two key players and an unproven ML starter on the mound. I’m not on a ledge, I’m not freaking out, I’m just being level-headed and calm, pointing out what I see. 3 runs against the O’s at home doesn’t quite instill me with grandiose optimism. But, then, you’ll just tell me that the game’s not over, Teixera will rake, Martin will bounce back, A-Rod will find the Elixir of Life, Hughes will resume his HOF career, they’ll make the playoffs, and they’re a shoe-in for the World Series. I know. I’ve been hearing this all since last season. Sorry if I choose to see an aging team with question marks in the rotation, and a GM that carted away the lord and savior. It’s early in the season, yes, but what makes you think that this team is capable of beating anyone at this very moment in time? Once Gardner and Swisher come back shit will get better, but until then, just consider me a realist . . .

• GardnergoesYardner says:

Dude, it’s just a game…

• jjyank says:

This is probably the calmes thing you’ve written in awhile. But if you think your other rantings have been “level headed”, I beg you to go back and reread your own words.

If you don’t think this team can bounce back, then fine. That’s your opinion. What I take issue with is not your opinion, it’s the “we’re doomed” approach to doing so. Calling a series loss, against any team, in the first week of May “despicable” and internet shouting at me for pointing out that overreaction is not civil or level headed.

• RkyMtnYank says:

There is nothing level headed about anything you have said, just jump off the ledge already. If the Yankees win this game what will your point be then?

• handtius says:

i consider you a pessimist. this team has shown year in and year out, even when they didn’t have the best teams, they would make the playoffs. that’s all you can ask for because from there on out, it’s a crap shoot. look at the last two world series the cards have won. the one before last year, they won 86 games. 86 fucking games! i don’t know how much you remember 2009, but we didn’t have 1-5 aces. we made it work with 3 pitchers. talk to mike about zen baseball. it will lower your blood pressure and ensure you a longer life.

• Don'tcha Know? says:

Again… Not a “ledge jumper”, just merely pointing out that the baseball they’re playing has been horrendous. I’m not talking about the playoffs. I’m talking about Game 25 against the KC Royals because that’s the thread that I’m in. And, I hereby invoke the law of Mo and ban the following words: Ledge, Bridge, Troll, Child, “Fu**ing Idiot”. We’re all adults here. We’re all Yankee fans. We all want the same exact thing. Let us not resort to Call of Duty and World of Warcraft behavior, please.

• jjyank says:

Well I very much agree with this, if only you’d adhere to your own point. Calm baseball discussion. If you ban those words, I also ban “STFU”, “Period”, and “Despicable”.

• RkyMtnYank says:

Bullshit, you are exactly the type of “ledge jumper” troll that would dominate WoW trade chat about how much everyone else sucks!

• Don'tcha Know? says:

Haha, trade chat? Sorry. I’ve never played WoW, but, judging by your venomous response, I can tell that I’ve offended you. Sorry Rock.

• RkyMtnYank says:

You have not offended me at all. I have grown very tolerant of the people that are over-reactive/impulsive/young in my old age. I do play WoW consistently, however, and have just seen this too many times. I do feel it part of my responsibility though to try and impart some of the patience and wisdom I have learned through out the years though.

• RkyMtnYank says:

… just figured that since you referenced Wow that you were familiar with its content.

• handtius says:

ok, then i put it on you to not make comments such as this one. down by one fun in the second, you condemn them to loose. tell me that’s not jumping the gun? don’t care how bad the team has been. they had one series where they scored 3 runs or less. they were averaging 5+ runs a game before that series i believe. even if 3-5 are struggling, they still managed to score. so i say again, ask mike a bout zen baseball. it’s a marathon, not a 50 yard dash.

47. Phelps really needs to attack the zone more. Especially early in the count.

48. The Dude says:

And here I was thinking that the only thing Getz could do was walk!

49. Tom says:

Well he’s already lasted longer than Garcia’s last start. But at 47 pitches, it’s looking like 4 innings.

Maybe the Yankees can make Duffy throw more than 6 pitches this inning.

50. flamingo says:

Ahhhh, that’s why Susyn’s criticizing an ump – because he made Mattingly mad.

51. MannyGeee says:

Jayson Nix looks like he should be a slugger… Too bad he is a hack

52. flamingo says:

Remember Jeter’s series in KC last… August, I think it was? Let’s have a repeat of that.

53. MannyGeee says:

Congrats to Jeter on his 500th 2B… Now just imagine if we could turn that into a run or something…

54. mustang says:

Jeter is just amazing right now.

55. GardnergoesYardner says:

Can’t anybody other than Jeter play this goddamn game?

56. MannyGeee says:

Wow, these guys couldn’t hit the ball with a fcking tennis racket

57. The Dude says:

One day. One day the Yankees will defeat a rookie/left handed pitcher.

• Betty Lizard says:

And woodland animals will rejoice and there shall be free broadband everywhere and all shall live in peace.

58. TEX IS GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!! oh wait….

59. jjyank says:

I love you, RHB Tex.

60. Need Pitching says:

whoa… a pig just flew past my window

61. Professor Longnose says:

A run! A run! Wa-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

62. forensic says:

Woohoo!!!!! Scoreless streak ends at 20.1 innings.

63. Cuso says:

NICE JOB of hitting right there by Tex! Pretty.

64. flamingo says:

A hit, a palpable hit.

65. The Dude says:

That’s what I like to see Tex! Now if only you would do that left handed.

66. handtius says:

start the sarcastic marks about yanks scoring a run… 3,2,1…

67. Sterling is talking about pitching around Alex to get to Robbie because Duffy is a LHP. Honestly if I’m a lefty at this point I’d much rather face Alex than Robbie with Alex on base.

• forensic says:

No way, Cano can’t hit anything right now. I agree they’re pitching around A-Rod both times.

68. brazilian fan says:

Small ball. Keep it simple

69. jjyank says:

Robbie, it was LAST week that you were against me in fantasy. You can start hitting now.

70. brazilian fan says:

I’ll trade Pinieda and Cano for Felix and Montero.

Toughts?

71. J says:

Watching Tex’s RHB swing is almost depressing, knowing how quick he actually can be…

72. Scheister of Doom says:

Doom!!! No really, I wonder how many runners Cano’s left on base this year, it seems like someone is always on the bag for him.

73. jjyank says:

Nice, Phelps is getting that outside corner.

74. Scheister of Doom says:

C’mon Phelps! DP, bang bang!

75. Mike Axisa says:

I hate this midwest games. Third inning, but it’s 9:14. At least the time difference with west coast games is extreme and you can’t not notice. Midwest is a subtle slap in the face.

• RkyMtnYank says:

For the rest of us that live out of market and in say … Colorado, we greatly appreciate a “normal” game time. You would think you actually liked that better than the west coast since it’s not as late?

• jjyank says:

Ha yeah. At least the West coast I’m I have a cup of coffee or something and prepare for it. I forgot these games are even 8:00 until it’s too late.

76. Buddy says:

OOOH NOO GAME IS OVAHHHHH AHHHH BLAH BLAHBLAH

77. Stratman9652 says:

I’d give vital parts of my anatomy to see a Yankee pitcher breeze through a few innings. Nothing but long at bats and ground balls finding holes lately.

78. The Dude says:

I wish the Yankees would go up the middle like that with RISP. And also since when does Franceour work the count?!

79. Phelps is throwing so many pitches…any word on his limit?

80. Mike Axisa says:

Trivia has to be Maris, no?

81. The Dude says:

If Hamels reaches free agency I’d going all out to sign the dude if I were the Yankees. I’m getting tired of CC being the only pitcher we can depend on to give us a quality start. Everyone else is a wild card.

• Nova has one not-that-bad start and he’s a wildcard?

• handtius says:

i’d love hammels, but if they’re serious about that budget, they’re probably going to loose a lot of offense by not resigning…swish, grandy, cano, martin…who else. not saying all, but at least a few.

• I'm sexy and I Cano it says:

Screw the budget.

• handtius says:

it’s not you money, so yeah, screw it. too bad the fans can’t decide that the yanks have a 350m budget.

• The Dude says:

Screw all this budget/luxury tax talk. I’m pretty sure winning means more to the Yankees than money.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t. This isn’t George Steinbrenner’s team anymore. The win-at-all-costs mentality seems to have gone out the window.

• The Dude says:

Yeah it really seems like the kids are running this team like a cash cow, only worried about profits and not the team on the field.

• Need Pitching says:

somewhere in between, I think
              but they definitely seem more bottom line oriented (Hal anyways)

• TomH says:

You’re right this ownership seems to be significantly different from George, more cautiously “managerial,” “responsible.” Ol George had his faults, God knows, and could drive us all nuts with many–by no means all–of his moves and interferences. But we may come to miss him. If you’re not gathering up top draft picks by finishing in the dumps, you had better be prepared to absorb some luxury taxation.

We’ll probably know very soon what these owners are really like. Talk last off-season was one thing, but if the Yankees finish poorly this season, if they have to acquire pitchers of merit, if they need to replace old timers, etc., they’re going to have to spend some money or see a lot of empty seats in that glitzy and expensive ball park.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

Maybe they could sign Cole Hamels before they sign your Hammels guy.

And then what about this? How ’bout this? We trade Jim Leyritz Stewart and Bernie Williams, for Barry Bonds, huh? That way you have Griffey and Bonds, in the same outfield! Now you got a team!

Sorry I know that was irrevelant, but whenever someone tries to play GM I always think of that quote.

• The Dude says:

I wouldn’t having both Hamels and Hammels. They are both pitching well. BTW that was a great trade for the Os.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

Haha there is no Hammels. That’s Jason Hammel. Everyone just spells it Coal Hammels because they’re lazy.

82. handtius says:

first start for phelps. i ain’t mad. hopefully he works quicker next time out. he’s shown some good pitches tonight.

83. The Dude says:

Argh. I would’ve dropped a bunt there.

84. flamingo says:

Fallacy of the predetermined outcome, Sterling. If there were runners on base, Martin might not have gotten that pitch to hit.

85. Monterowasnotdinero says:

Classic. gidp followed by a Martin hit.

Phelps has very good stuff. Stick with him. Patience.

86. So how does he hole service time thing work? like what year does arbitration start, and how many years of arbitration are there?

87. flamingo says:

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Awesome.

88. Need Pitching says:

fuck Dyson … I’ve always preferred Hoover

• I'm sexy and I Cano it says:

Lol, vacuum cleaner reference. In all seriousness though, Dyson vacuum’s are much, much better. And more stylish too. Hoover vacuums are shit in comparison.

89. Wow…can something please go this teams way? Anything?

• Buddy says:

you sound like a Royals fan.

• I know, but this last week has been rough. Pineda gone till next season, loosing a series to the Orioles, Chavez last night, Swisher, 13 man bullpens, 1 man benches, Mo getting hurt, no offense. It’s not fun right now…I just want watching baseball to be enjoyable again.

• Athenian says:

Yep. Another aging vet will soon be on the DL. Has to count for something.

90. The Dude says:

Baseball gods what must we do to bring ourselves into your favor?!

91. I'm sexy and I Cano it says:

Shame on me for believing that was going to fall in for a double.

92. Tom says:

Hit every ball hard that inning… not much you can do.

Though Andruw Jones can perhaps learn what a secondary lead is and make the turn harder on that DP.

93. jjyank says:

Jones’ glove is still golden.

94. flamingo says:

Way to go, Phelps!

95. Mike Axisa says:

Nice work getting those three extra outs, Phelpsie.

96. Stratman9652 says:

Holy shit a 123 inning, ask and you shall receive!

97. I'm sexy and I Cano it says:

Phelps can go one more inning now.

98. Tom says:

Pitch efficiency was poor, but I liked that outing. There were a couple of pitches he hung/poorly located but he was mixing pitches so much better than Hughes and was willing to throw any pitch any time.

Hopefully this start means he gets another start, even if/when Andy comes back.

• jjyank says:

I definitely think Phelps earned another start. He wasn’t lights out or anything, but I think there’s something to be said of nerves in your first MLB start with all your friends and family in the stands. I’d like to see what he’s got in another start, with the nerves out of the way and a larger pitch count.

• Tom says:

I think he earned it but Hughes seems to get the benefit of the doubt in Yankee land.

Andy I think is lined up for Hughes, but with the offday Girardi could probably move people around and bump Phelps.

• forensic says:

Yeah, it’s hard to judge him on this one start with all the extra stuff surrounding it. He’ll get another one, but after that is in question.

I’m looking way too much into a regular adjustment to his schedule, but putting Pettitte on Sunday makes swapping him and Hughes very easy when he’s ready. Of course, I have no faith in the team losing faith in Hughes.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, Hughes is linked to Phelps for sure. It’s essentially a battle between those two now. Let’s see what Hughes does his next time out.

• Tom says:

(Sadly) all Girardi has to do is bump Phelps from his next start Wed then move Sabathia, Kuroda and Hughes up a day (who will still be on normal rest with the offday) and Andy pitches Saturday anyway.

Unfortunately if Phil doesn’t completely bomb I think this is what Girardi/Cahsman will do.

It also means they get Nova, Sabathia, Kuroda against the Rays (instead of Phelps in the middle game)

99. flamingo says:

Duffy’s thrown a lot of pitches, too.

100. jjyank says:

Woo that looked low.

101. The Dude says:

Robot umpires please.

102. Athenian says:

There is just a whole lot of suck in pinstripes and gray. It is like the entire team has become Tex.

• The Dude says:

The sad thing about Tex is that he was SO great from 2004-2010 and suddenly seemed to become a different player (in a bad way).

• Athenian says:

They all do that once they start collecting Yankee money. Seriously, though, he has regressed so much he can’t correct himself. If it weren’t for his defense he would be like the last first baseman.

• I'm sexy and I Cano it says:

Teixiera needs to watch some video of himself from 2008 and get back to what he was doing before.

103. The Dude says:

Duffy looks way too comfortable. I’m sick of this Era of Pitching. If it keeps up I could see baseball losing lots of fans in the coming years. Who wants to see a 3-2 game? I miss the times where 9-5 games were plentiful.

104. I'm sexy and I Cano it says:

Generous strike three call there.

105. Need Pitching says:

Rapada taking his Lefty One Out Guy role a little bit too literally

106. The Dude says:

AL teams: Hey everyone! Let’s play extra hard, work counts and pitch well against the Yankees but bend over for the Red Sox.

Happens every year.

True story.

107. Zooboy says:

NunLOLeeeeez.

108. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Nuneed again

109. Brian S. says:

Oh Nunez.

110. Brian S. says:

At least Nix looks like he can field.

111. Brian S. says:

Come on Mitchell now is not the time for this.

112. Athenian says:

I think if the Royals plate one more run that might do it. Think the only thing this season is missing is a bucket of fried chicken and beer.

113. MannyGeee says:

Moose tacos is gonna look sexy in pinstripes in seven years

114. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

This is just too effing much already

115. Karl Krawfid says:

Yanks look old and bad.

116. Athenian says:

Wash rinse repeat. 3 game losing streak.

• The Dude says:

Argh. This feels like the last month of 2010. Horrible. It’s going to take a lot of winning for me to feel even a bit positive about this team. Other than the bullpen this team doesn’t like a contender at all. So many bad decisions throughout the years are finally catching up with us.

117. Widget says:

I’d rather be the red sox. They at least beat crappy teams.

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

You realize that they just lost a series to Oakland, right?

• MannyGeee says:

The red sox couldn’t beat their dicks with jerkins and youporn right now… Let’s not get carried away here

118. Clyde Barrow says:

This team just isn’t interesting in winning right now. This was supposed to be the easy part of the schedule. You’re not going to make the playoffs with 2 good starters. We only have a chance to win 2/5 games because the offense can’t win unless CC or Kuroda limits the other team to 0-2 runs. It’s just pathetic, except Jeter. And now Mo might have torn his ACL.

119. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Every time Nunez effs up it always burns the yanks for multiple runs.

120. Manny's BanWagon says:

That should just about do it. At this rate, they’ll be in last place by the end of this weekend.

• The Dude says:

And the worst thing is the Rays continue to roll even without Longoria.

• Don'tcha Know? says:

It needs to happen. The team has too many holes at the moment to warrant anything else. So long as they can’t dig themselves any deeper there’s nowhere else to look but up. Once Cano patches up his poor play, and the OFers return, it’ll get better. Honestly, this has been “DESPICABLE”, something’s got to give. Oh yeah . . . I forgot, though . . . this is the EASY part of the schedule.

121. Cuso says:

It’s starting to feel an awful lot like 2008….

122. forensic says:

1 run in last 22 innings. 2 runs in last 29 innings.

5 runs tonight might be a little too much to ask at this point.

123. Karl Krawfid says:

Gotta start platooning A-Rod against lefties.

Shit is just embarrassing.

124. forensic says:

Isn’t Cone on twitter. Can’t someone tell him that the gun is off???

125. RkyMtnYank says:

Mitchell seemed to settle down and make his pitches after the run scored, not sure what that means other than saying “fuck it”, just gonna do my thing!

126. Tom says:

Yankees need to get Duffy out of the game this inning and they have a shot.

While the Yankees aren’t hitting, KC doesn’t exactly have a lockdown bullpen. That 6 pitch 2nd inning really hurt.

127. Chad says:

Regardless….Nunez MUST GO!!! and can someone get me the stats on how many times A-Rod goes 0-2….every FREAKIN AT BAT!!!!!!

128. Michaels' Pineda says:

Where was that fucking hit when you had runners on in the 3rd, Cano? Fuck.

129. forensic says:

Hits for Tex, Cano, and Martin in the same game??? Not to mention Jones too?

Isn’t that like crossing the streams? The whole stadium may implode on itself now.

130. The Dude says:

I literally don’t want to watch Yankees baseball right now. Maybe I’ll check back on this team in 3 months and see what’s left.

131. RkyMtnYank says:

Damn, I missed that, how did Cano actually make it to first?

132. MannyGeee says:

See Andruw get mad at the foul ball, that was kinda funny

133. NUNEZ MUST GO!!!!!! says:

chance of Nunez redeeming himself here?

134. flamingo says:

Now’s the time to make up for your error, Nunez.

135. Michaels' Pineda says:

We drove in a run…?

136. MannyGeee says:

Give Nunez an RBI… How many more does he owe us to be back to even for tonight?

137. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Holy crap 2runs!

138. LiterallyFigurative says:

Sac Fly for Nunez.

Multiple runs in a game by the Bombers? It’s been a while.

139. RkyMtnYank says:

What’s funny is that as bad as the Yankees look, they are still in this game,

140. Huge sigh of relief when Nunez’s ball went in the air…i felt a DP coming.

141. LiterallyFigurative says:

Dyson is so fast he overran the ball.

142. BK2ATL says:

Okay, we’re still in this game. Nice piece of fundamental hitting by Nunez to plate the run. Only down 2-4 now. Hopefully, Mitchell settles down.

I hope A-Rod takes that kid under his offseason wing and makes him train with him, similar to how he did with Cano and Melky. A-Rod seems to have found a niche with that as a teammate with the younger kids.

This Dyson kid can go and get it.

• Yeah, you can say what ever you want about Alex’s personal life and whatever, nobody has more work ethic than he does when it comes to getting ready to play.

• BK2ATL says:

Yeah, it DEFINITELY doesn’t get much attention from even the NY press as does the other things. It’s like the NY baseball media prefer to cover the TMZ shit, rather than the actual baseball and team things he actually contributes.

• Well with Alex, he’s just as much as a media personality and celebrity as a baseball player. A casual fan might walk by a Mark Teixeira or Curtis Granderson w/o even realizing it, everybody knows what Alex Rodriguez looks like.

143. MannyGeee says:

Wow dyson… Just wow

144. RkyMtnYank says:

The Dyson, great vacuum cleaner!

145. The Dude says:

I think if Cano keeps it up, it can hurt his contract and maybe we can get a deal.

146. Michaels' Pineda says:

I wonder what The Binder has in store for us with the last innings to come?

147. LiterallyFigurative says:

Good inning for Mitchell.

148. Tom says:

First team to 5 runs wins? (I don’t see the Royals bullpen holding the Yankees to 1 run)

149. I mean this in the most nonracial way possible, I had no idea that DJ Mitchell was black, I actually always assumed he was white for no real reason. Until seeing him in person he was a bunch of stats and blurbs about stuff to me.

150. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Remember that time the Yankees scored runs?

151. RkyMtnYank says:

Can we have 8 more Jeters plz.

152. LiterallyFigurative says:

TWO runners in an inning?

“Whut tha hell’z goin’ on out hea!?!”

153. forensic says:

Well, this is their chance. Can’t depend on the bottom part of the lineup to do anything, gotta get it done here.

• Tom says:

Damn that was a hittable pitch too…. Cano seems to be rolling over on everything.

Wish he would get that stroke to left center back, unless it’s way outside he’s trying to pull everything.

154. forensic says:

Tex just missed his pitch. This may not end well now.

155. Michael Mirabella says:

Calling a home run from A-rod.

156. LiterallyFigurative says:

Inching ever closer….

157. Scoring the runner from third with less than two outs. In two consecutive innings. I absolutely approve.

158. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

3runs! Hurry up Girardi bench someone!

159. LiterallyFigurative says:

Has it gotten so bad that leaving a lefty to face A-Rod is a GOOD managerial move?

160. wow alex broke his bat and still got that out of the infield.

161. Mike Axisa says:

Fuck it, they’re winning this game.

162. LiterallyFigurative says:

C’mon Robbie!

163. Manny's BanWagon says:

Boy do they need Cano to launch one now

164. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Cmom Cano, break out right here

165. RkyMtnYank says:

Robbie “one pitch” Cano will roll over and ground out here.

166. forensic says:

Sadly, that was amazingly predictable for Cano.

167. BK2ATL says:

Cano is struggling and very frustrated. Kevin Long, you got something???

168. Manny's BanWagon says:

Did the reason Dave Eiland took that leave of absence a few years ago ever come out?

169. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

So why did eland leave again?

170. forensic says:

Weaver pitched a no-hitter? I must’ve been very disconnected today.

171. Need Pitching says:

Arod looked like Bobby Abreu approaching that fence

172. LiterallyFigurative says:

I actually like the redesigned Kaufman Stadium. It still feels like a small stadium, but they’ve made the most of the empty spaces in the outfield.

173. James A says:

This game should be called: “David Cone tries to make Kansas City sound awesome while the Yankees play another game of mediocre to shitty baseball”

174. Jimmy says:

4-3 Devils win in OT.

175. flamingo says:

Andruw’s having a nice game tonight.

176. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Wtf? No bunt???

177. Nunez took way to big a risk there as the tying run.

178. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

What a douche. Nunez losing this game all by himself

179. forensic says:

Nunez is now 0-18 since Chavez started playing more and he played less around the Boston series.

180. JMK says:

Every time I see Nunez I hear Benny Hill music in my head.

181. BK2ATL says:

Actually, I don’t fault Nunez for forcing the action. It was a good decision. Just a better throw.

You’re not seriously expecting much from Russell Martin, are you?

182. forensic says:

Anyone else see Ibanez hitting a 2-run homer here then allowing runs to score in the bottom of the inning with his defense?

183. ArchStanton says:

I am really developing this slightly irrational/largely rational hatred of Nunez. Not sure why you would look at the catcher there- it slowd him down just enough to be out.

184. forensic says:

At least they got through the bottom of the order. Can’t ask for much more than the top of the order in the 9th. Just gotta keep it at 4-3.

185. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Every other team in baseball bunts after a lead off single down by a run in the 8th.

186. BK2ATL says:

I have a feeling that we’ll win this game in the 9th. Top of the order will be up against a shaky bullpen. We just need to lockdown this inning and keep it at 1 run.

187. Tom says:

12 hits (granted a couple of cheapies) and 4 or 5 outs that were absolutely crushed (2 to Dyson, that Ibanez line drive the DP ball to Moustakas)… with the exception of Cano, the Yankees are getting much better swings tonight.

188. mike_h says:

I’d imagine they have the news already and are just holding it back

189. Karl Krawfid says:

Granderson with the Cannon!

190. forensic says:

Hey, just as I was going type asking Soriano for his first 1-2-3- inning of the year, it’s already out the window…

He really has not been very good this year.

191. Manny's BanWagon says:

Grady has a Bernie Wiiliams arm in CF.

192. FIPster Doofus says:

Royals lacking veteran presents.

193. The Dude says:

I think out of all our overpaid players Soriano is the worst because he brings absolutely nothing to the team. He’s not a closer, a good set-up man or even 7th inning guy.

194. forensic says:

Thank you Jeff. Appreciate that free out.

195. Mike Axisa says:

That wasn’t the smartest of steal attempts by Frenchy, but I’ll take it.

196. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Jeff Francoeur is a doody head.

197. BK2ATL says:

Russell gets some payback!!! What a strike!!!! One more out.

198. Dan in Atlanta says:

Also, I hope Broxton is on the down side of his cycle.

199. flamingo says:

Awesome; now let’s win it in the ninth.

200. Mike Axisa says:

Time to break Broxton again.

201. forensic says:

Come on Broxton. You got another one of these in you, right?

202. RkyMtnYank says:

Broxton at 99, the gun must be way off.

203. RkyMtnYank says:

Jeter again!

204. ArchStanton says:

Unreal.

205. forensic says:

If Granderson bunts, my computer and TV might be in danger…

206. LiterallyFigurative says:

The Captain trying his damnedest to keep the ship afloat.

207. Mike Nitabach says:

no way was that 99

208. Dan in Atlanta says:

Anyone else afraid he was going to bunt?

209. BK2ATL says:

I love watching baseball when Jeter’s on his game.

210. Stratman9652 says:

I wonder how many more times Coney will mention how hard the pitchers are throwing before the thought crosses his mind that the gun is a bit hot.

211. Mike Nitabach says:

yessss!

212. RkyMtnYank says:

I’m thinking about 3-4 mph off.

213. Dan in Atlanta says:

Now a bunt would be funny as hell, albeit bad baseball

214. Tom says:

Gutsy call to send him 3-2… not sure that was a good move but it worked out.

215. Need Pitching says:

fuck, fuck, fuck

216. Cy Pettitte says:

Teix is the fucking worst.

217. Karl Krawfid says:

Tex is so damn sorry.

218. LiterallyFigurative says:

Great scoop by Hosmer.

219. Dan in Atlanta says:

Fuck

220. BK2ATL says:

$23 million 1B….

But there’ll be excuses here.

221. ArchStanton says:

Should’ve bunted. He’s worthless.

222. Greg says:

Nice scoop. Yanks are headed for last place right now if they keep this up

• Widget says:

They will have 1 less loss than the red sox after tonight so they are well on their way to last place.

• Greg says:

Dont forget we lost our closer for an undetermined amount of time, our outfield is shredded, our cornermen can’t hit

223. flamingo says:

Well, that sucked.

224. Cy Pettitte says:

lol that’s not a strike

225. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Bullshit call

226. ArchStanton says:

Not a strike.

227. 718 says:

Tex is useless!

228. Captain Gift Basket says:

Tex’s career is officially on the downward slope. It’s going to be tough eating that shitty contract.

229. Mike Nitabach says:

CMON!

230. LiterallyFigurative says:

Broxton vs. A-Rod.

Gas.

231. Mike Nitabach says:

Too much drama about Tex. He will obviously tend towards his average.

232. Greg says:

Strange. A lot of people loved the Tex deal.

233. RkyMtnYank says:

figure this will be a backwards K

234. LiterallyFigurative says:

Stoudemire or Tiexiera…who’s more worthless?

235. Stratman9652 says:

ARod is gonna murder a baseball.

236. Manny's BanWagon says:

Best chance here is a wild pitch.

237. LiterallyFigurative says:

Great AB by Alex, regardless of outcome

238. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Love a rod right now

239. Karl Krawfid says:

Robinson Oh No on deck.

240. Mike Axisa says:

Some at-bat by Alex considering the bad call.

241. Dan in Atlanta says:

Microcosm of the season to date.

242. Cy Pettitte says:

can’t believe this shit

243. LiterallyFigurative says:

DAMN YOU MOOSE TACOS!

244. BK2ATL says:

What a way to lose one. A-Rod went down battling though. Hope it carries over.

245. Mike Nitabach says:

AGGHHHHH

246. forensic says:

Ugh, sadly that 9th inning was very predictable and basically a microcosm of the season so far.

247. Ethan says:

Arod please get a hit, i don’t want to have to rely on cano at this point!

248. Karl Krawfid says:

What kind of swing was that man?

Fuck this team.

249. Stratman9652 says:

Holy shit Broxton is a HUGE dude.

250. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

I was very pleased with Mark Teixeira’s last at bat. I enjoyed that.

251. Don'tcha Know? says:

Just their second win at home. Bravo, Yankees. Bravo!

252. Greg says:

So we lose our closer for an undetermined amount of time, our outfield is shredded, our corner guys cant hit, our starting pitching is partly in shambles and we are nearly in the cellar of our division.

Other than that, I feel great!

253. 718 says:

1 game over .500! May or not that is terrible !

254. ClayDavis says:

Yay! Piece of garbagevteam

255. wow says:

this team… holy crap.

256. flamingo says:

Ugh.

At least A-Rod had a nice at bat/didn’t strike out.

257. pistol pete says:

Everything going wrong, switch Tex to the 3 hole and he hops into a dp that costs us the game. Is there a worst 23m player in the game. Can’t hit for avg, obp now below 300 and can’t run. But what the heck we’ve only got 5 yrs left at 23m per, yikes.

• The Dude says:

I wish the Yanks could find takers for Tex and Arod. I don’t even want prospects just pay 75% of their contracts and make them hand in their pinstripes.

258. The Dude says:

I’m so pissed right now only because I know how good this team can be and they’re playing like shit. My god I don’t want to watch Yankee games anymore. I used to look forward to them but now watching makes me cringe and gives me a sick feeling in my stomach.

259. Don'tcha Know? says:

So the Yankees are handing out FIRST wins to teams and pitchers now? Am I understanding this correctly?

260. Need Pitching says:

fuck.

Torn ACL.

261. Don'tcha Know? says:

Hey JJYanks . . . Guess I was right . . . again.

262. Greg says:

Maybe this is the changing of the guard in the AL East. Rays, Jays, and O’s getting back at the Yanks and Sox for years of smackdowns

263. JMK says:

Serious question – I thought Teix was overpaid back in the day (more in years than dollars) but who could have legitimately foresaw him regressing like this?

He had been a complete hitter, capable of going to all parts of the field with very good but not incredible power.

I didn’t expect him to completely change his hitting style and essentially turn into a 4th tier first baseman.

Of course we’re upset and irritated – and justifiably so – but let’s stop this fantasy that everyone was anything but happy when he signed or had any inkling he’d become what we see.

• Greg says:

I;m wondering How in the world can a complete hitter be transformed into that in the span of 3 years. Incredible

• Don'tcha Know? says:

I loved the signing. Only players that I liked MORE than Tex at first were A-Gon and Prince. The regression is pitiful and sad. It’s nearly heartbreaking. It’s unfortunate. I ALMOST want to declare this a rebuilding year but I also know that Gardner and Swisher aren’t playing at the moment. Pitching wasn’t all that terrible today. These losses, for the most part, have been on the offense. And, sadly, Teixera is a LARGE part of that equation. Loved the signing, but I hate what he’s turned into.

264. ClayDavis says:

If this thing is prolonged…I think cash man and girardi seats get much hotter

• The Dude says:

I’m tired of Cash and his decisions that always seem to bite the Yankees in the ass and I’m tired of Girardi and his binder based managerial style. Fire both. Make Damon Oppenheimer GM and make Tony Pena or Posada manager.

265. Greg says:

Torn ACL.

Yeah. He’s done. And the Yankees are too for winning championships with
    this cast. That ’09 team was the last hurrah.

Need to cleann house and build another dynasty.

266. 718 says:

Well Mo’s career is over :(

267. 718 says:

And here come the morons talking about the Yankees are going to suck for ever and the O’s and Blue Jays are awesome! Losers!

• Greg says:

Why should I feel good about this team right now? Why should I?

• The Dude says:

I know dude! Actually it’s not far fetched that this might be a rebuilding year for us at this rate. We can’t hit or pitch. How are you supposed to contend with that formula?

268. Don'tcha Know? says:

It has been a devastatingly sad season thus far in Yankee Universe. Aside from Jeter, is there any reason whatsoever, to be happy? I love how the Rays are doing well, but I hate how they became that way because the only way that the Yankees can mimic that is to lose . . . and I don’t want to lose. I’m just not accustomed to it anymore.

269. pistol pete says:

Any more news on Mo.

270. V says:

Well, that’s the season for me. See you guys next year. I’ll tune in for the playoffs, but I’m done caring about the regular season.

271. The Dude says:

Yanks could’ve really used a .300 hitter in this lineup for the past couple of games. And by .300 hitter I mean Jesus Montero.

Worst trade ever? Worst trade ever.

• Don'tcha Know? says:

You’ll get absolutely no argument from me. Hated the trade from the beginning. Wait. It’s not the Curse of Minka Kelly, it’s the Jesus Hex. Ahh fudge. It all makes sense now. He was the player to build the next dynasty around. Jeter incarnate.

• The Dude says:

I until this day do not understand the trade. Why not just keep Montero and sign Darvish/CJ Wilson or even a bargain like Bartolo Colon or Bedard? The Yankees lineup has been aging for some time, this isn’t big news. You need young blood. And it’s not like we don’t have pitching in our system either (Banuelos, Betances, Phelps, Warren, Mitchell). Cash is just a horrible evaluator. Pineda’s second half last year should’ve been a red flag.

• MB says:

Well they do want to get under that luxury cap in 2014 and there’s no way signing Darvish or Wilson would put them under it.

272. M&M Boys says:

And it gets worse. I heard at the end of the Charleston radio broadcast tonight that Jose Campos — who got bombed in his last start — has been put on the DL. Didn’t hear any details. But now, both Campos and Pineda are hurt.

This season is already the biggest disaster since about 1990, or maybe even 1966.

273. pistol pete says:

Mo has a torn ACL, I’d close with Soriano and leave Robertson right where he is. I’d pitch Hughes in thr 7th. The bullpen will be ok we just need to improve our starting pitching and start hitting. Swish is back soon but I’m really really scared thet Gardner will be a Tommy John casuality, really nervous.