May

Game 29: No Fun

(Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

I really dislike the new playoff system. It’s early-May and tonight’s series opener against the Rays feels like a big game because winning the division is actually important now. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good for baseball that these games are more important and all that, but I’m just not used to it and I’m not sure I like it. I’ve always felt that as a fan, the best part of the 162-game schedule was not stressing out over games early in the season. I just want to relax and watch some baseball on May 8th, not worry about the game’s impact on the standings at the end of season. Sigh. Anyway, here’s the lineup…

SS Derek Jeter
CF Curtis Granderson
3B Alex Rodriguez
2B Robinson Cano
1B Mark Teixeira
RF Nick Swisher
DH Raul Ibanez
Russell Martin
LF Eduardo Nunez

RHP Ivan Nova

Tonight’s game is scheduled to start a little after 7pm ET, but the weather in New York is not great. It’s been overcast all day and the forecast says there’s a chance of showers basically all night and into tomorrow morning. The game will air on YES locally and MLB Network nationally if the weather cooperates. Enjoy.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Dominik says:

It looks like the weather thinks that Tuesday games are still on My9.

2. Paul O'neill's Batting Helmet says:

Good grief, Grandy and Tex are terrible against Shields:

Grandy: 3 for 46, 1 BB, 14 Ks .065/.085/.130
    Tex:6 for 43, 4 BB, 14 Ks .140/.245/.140

Yuck.

3. Urban says:

So is Meredith Marakovits 7’2″ or is Brian Cashman 5’2″?

Just saw her interviewing him and the height differnce was large. I think she played volleyball in college, so no doubt she’s tall.

4. Guest says:

Mike, sounds like you are having the baseball fan equivalent of what they call “rich people problems.” Other baseball fans have always had to care how their team does throughout the regular season, so what we are going through with this series is just seeing how the other side lives.

I agree that the system is not good for the Yanks, (who have made the playoffs every year except one since 1995, which is insane when you think about is), but it is definitely good for baseball.

Winning the division should count and should provide a meaning advantage, the extra wild card means more teams are in it longer meaning more fan bases get to dream longer, and all of this occurs while adding only one more game to the post-season schedule.

Bad for Yankee fans like us who just want to waltz into the playoff crapshoot with either the division or our wild card, good for September baseball and less lucky fanbases throughout the country.

• Mike Axisa says:

Possible, though I feel the same way with the NY Rangers. The first 6-8 weeks of the season are just for fun as far as I’m concerned.

• Buddy says:

Funny… I know what ur sayin’ but strange that your complaint is that the games actually mean something.

(“complaint” might be too strong a word)

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I disagree with you, Guest. Anything that is decided by one friggin game is not good for baseball.

• Urban says:

Game 163′s are always good for baseball, and that’s in essence what the Wild Card playoff is.

Win the division.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think Game 163′s are a necessity to break some sort of tie. They’re good for baseball in the sense that it’s an exciting game.

The current WC system was a good system. I see no reason why it should have been changed. I don’t necessarily think it made anything easier. You were still the #4 seed playing the #1 seed and had to win a series against the team with the best record.

The 1980′s would have been a more interesting decade had the Yankees won a couple of WC’s.

• Also, there is nothing more exciting than a game 7, in any sport.

• jjyank says:

Game 163′s happen because the two teams tie over a 162 game season. So that’s fair. The new format makes it so one game playoffs happen even when one team is better than another in 162 game season. And I don’t think that’s fair.

• jjyank says:

In addition, it puts teams in a good division at a disadvantage. The Tigers and the Rangers don’t have to stress as much as the Yankees do about winning the division, which is annoying considering how much more important that is now.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

If they really wanted change, it would have been better to just have one big league and have the four best records advance.

Still, though, I would have rather just kept what he had until this year. Sure, we’ve had plenty of WC World Series Champions. They still had to work their asses off to win. No one waltzes in anywhere.

• jjyank says:

I agree. The old format wasn’t perfect, and I do like the concept of rewarding division winners, but WC winners were still at somewhat of a disadvantage in the old format by playing the #1 seed. It wasn’t perfect, but at least it didn’t potentially pit a 92 win team against an 88 win team in a one game playoff.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

This. A one-game playoff between two teams who weren’t as evenly matched and fighting each other all year within the same division is meaningless.

5. forensic says:

I remember just last May when they didn’t even keep score during these games since they were so meaningless.

Wait, what???

6. jjyank says:

Ivan Novallday??

7. jjyank says:

Well at least Swish is back in RF. No more Nunez and Ibanez in the same outfield.

8. Mike Nitabach says:

Lead-off hit…

9. Tom says:

Why is Nunez in LF?

• jjyank says:

Your choices are Nunez, Ibanez, or Andruw (vs. a RHP). That’s like a lose-lose-lose.

Andruw is the only one who can defend, but he’s not very good against righties at the plate.

• Tom says:

Changeup pitcher… Jones would be fine.

There’s also Wise (?) if Girardi is hung up on the righty pitcher thing

• jjyank says:

Meh, Wise can’t hit either. I don’t think any options are superior enough to the other that you can really make much of an argument. Really, we just need Gardner back.

• Need Pitching says:

Jones career 000/111/000 vs. Shields (granted only 9 PA)
          Nunez: 455/500/818 vs Shields (12 PA)

• Tom says:

So play them both? (and put the better defender in the OF)

Or play Nunez at 3rd/SS and DH rest day?

Have you seen Shields splits vs righties and lefties?

• Need Pitching says:

My preference would probably be Nunez DH (since Ibanez also has horrible numbers vs. Shields)
              As for left field, I guess I would go with Wise (career 200/200/500 in 10 PA) though I wouldn’t complain if it was Jones.

• Need Pitching says:

Nunez is one of very few Yankees with good numbers vs. Shields
      He was going to be in the lineup somewhere.

• Bunt Gardner says:

Are you still questioning this?

10. Bartolo's Colon says:

i think pena just struck out on purpose

11. Mike Nitabach says:

Nova’s location does not look good.

12. Mike Nitabach says:

Nice DP!

13. Bartolo's Colon says:

nice!

14. jjyank says:

That’s my favorite kind of double play!

15. Cy Pettitte says:

Zobrist take a coffe break on the way to 2nd? didn’t think he was that slow.

16. Mike Nitabach says:

Shields is fucking brutal.

17. Havok9120 says:

Well played, gentlemen. Lets get those pitches locating a bit better. Please?

18. Mike Nitabach says:

I wonder what frequency is optimal for a lead-off batter to swing at the first pitch.

• Havok9120 says:

Jeter’s career begs to differ. He’s been doing it for awhile.

• jjyank says:

True. I think it all depends on sitting on a pitch. In my very amateur opinion, I would guess that Jeter feels comfortable enough with a pitcher’s scouting report that he will look for a pitch on the opening pitch (generally seems to be FB) and goes for it. Nothing wrong with that if the hitter is confident about it.

• exception, not the rule.

• Havok9120 says:

I dunno. Our team has done fairly well on it over the years. Its frustrating when it doesn’t work, but we’ve been known to string together a good number of first pitch hits, at least its seemed that way the last few years.

• CP says:

MLB on the first pitch last year hit .330/.336/.523/.859 vs .255/.321/.399/.720 overall, so the answer is clearly not “never”

• Mike Nitabach says:

That can’t really be right. Because if a particular lead-off batter *never* swings at the first pitch, then every pitcher he faces can with certainty just throw the first pitch right down the middle for a strike. So you have to swing sometimes, at least so the pitcher can’t know with certainty what you are going to do.

• RetroRob says:

Jeter’s triple slash swinging at the first pitch is .380/.395/.563
      for a .958 OPS. That’s more than 120 OPS points over his overall career. Considering teams score at a much higher rate when the lead-off hitter gets on, and teams that score first in a game have a higher winning percentage, then I’m going with it’s an excellent approach. : -) Punish the cripple pitch.

Yeah, it’s frustrating at times, but can’t fault the approach and the results.

19. Michaels' Pineda says:

What a great crowd today! Not a blue seat to be seen!

20. radnom says:

I don’t understand how anyone can think that expanding the range of the regular season in which you actually get invested in the outcomes of individual games is a bad thing. Thats where 90% of all the great memories are made. You don’t like it because its new.

• jjyank says:

That’s not why I don’t like it at all. If you wish to know why, you can scroll up a bit. I don’t feel like retyping it.

• radnom says:

I don’t know who you are nor your opinion on the new playoff rules. I was clearly responding to the comment in the above article, where make said he wasn’t sure he liked the fact that this game could actually be (just a little bit) important.

• jjyank says:

There was a conversation further up in the thread about this very subject. No need to be rude.

• radnom says:

My bad, I thought you were thinking I was replying to a comment above – I can see the misunderstanding.

I did go back and read your position, and here is me response:

1. Teams in weak divisions still had an enormous advantage in the old system, thats not much different in this new one.

2. Placing importance on winning the division is important. The regular season is a much better indication as to which teams are better than a 5 game playoff. The fact that this weakens the wildcard is a good thing in having the best team in the league win the WS.

I get that as a Yankee fan its frustrating that a full playoff birth isn’t guaranteed anymore, but these rules are objectively better for the sport. It provides more excitement, while improving the chance that a better team wins the WS.

• radnom says:

Let me put it this way:

The second place team in the AL East will finish behind another team that had the exact same hardships and disadvantages, but played better over 160 games. That second place team *should* go into the playoffs with a disadvantage.

• jjyank says:

They did go to the playoffs with a disadvantage, they played the #1 seed. Not as much of a disadvantage, but it was there. I see the argument both ways, I did state that I do like the concept of making winning the division more important. I just don’t like the idea of a 90-something win team playing an 80-something win team in a one game playoff.

• Havok9120 says:

Well, jj would be an “anyone.” And there’s a decent sized thread above of other anyones who agree with Mike for different reasons.

• Havok9120 says:

There’s also that whole thing where it has teams with vastly easier schedules having an advantage over teams which only trail them by one or two games despite much superior competition.

But yours is good too.

• radnom says:

1. I was replying to this one particular aspect, because thats what Mike discussed in your article.

2. Since you bring it up – Obviously there are plusses and minuses with the new system. I’m not sure saying that teams with inferior schedules are at a disadvantage is a good example of a minus though. In what system does a team in a weak division NOT have an enormous advantage over a team in a tough one? Certainly not the previous one.

Thanks for being a dick though, that was really necessary.

• Havok9120 says:

Eh? I wasn’t aware I was being rude. That last line is what is called a joke, and not even one directed at you. You seem to be the one being rude without provocation, here and above.

If you’re talking about some hypothetical change that simply increases the importance of the regular season and does nothing else, then you’d be absolutely right. But Mike was also commenting on the entire system, and I, apparently mistakenly, assumed you were too. I didn’t mean to offend.

To respond: But the new system exacerbates that problem. It was present in the old system, sure, but this makes it far worse and does so with the same mechanism that makes the season more tense: winning the division matters more. Sure, it gives another team a chance to get into the playoffs. Heck, one year soon, maybe this year, that 2nd WC team will ALSO have a better record than a division winner. But screwing two teams instead of one doesn’t sound like a better system to me.

I prefer the entire regular season mattering, but doing it this way not only seems to have at least as many minuses as pluses, but Game 163 is completely against the “marathon season” principle that baseball likes to brag about so much.

• radnom says:

I think it helps the “marathon season” idea. It basically cripples the wildcard. Which basically means, there are only 3 full playoff births in each league. If you can’t beat every other team with the same hardships as yourself, you go into the playoffs at a severe disadvantage. That does the exact opposite of what you claim – it puts all the importance on the regular season.

I understand its bad for the Yankees (currently – division powers can change relatively quickly), but its undeniably good overall.

• jjyank says:

It increases the importance of winning the division, not the entire regular season. It decreases the value of the regular season for the 92 win team losing to an 87 win team in a one game playoff.

• Havok9120 says:

This as well. If all winning throughout the regular season and finishing 1 game back with 94 wins gets you is a play in game against an 83 win team that lost its division by 6 or 7 games, why does that increase the importance of the regular season except indirectly?

• Havok9120 says:

I hadn’t thought about it that way and it actually makes me a lot more ambiguous on this, though I still don’t quite agree. Good for the Yankees or no, I don’t know why its better for a 93 win team (lets call them the Brooklyn Blankees) and a 88 win team (let’s call them the Ontario…um…Opels) to both be screwed for performing better than the 84 win Olympia Oranges out West but not beating the 98 win Petersburg Pushovers for the 2016 AL East crown.

Balance the schedule back out if you want to cripple the Wild Card (which I do). Otherwise, you’re both penalizing competitive teams for being competitive AND expanding the playoff field, something I am always leery of lest baseball become hockey or basketball.

21. I really think we have to make that walk mean something. Once Shields settles in he’s hard to hit.

22. Cy Pettitte says:

they should really flip flop Teix and Swish against righties.

23. RetroRob says:

I have arrived just in time to see Tex hit into the shift.

24. Tom says:

Tex should consider hitting right against Shields… Primarily a fastball/change guy, he’s better off probably hitting righty.

• RkyMtnYank says:

I would agree but I also think he should bat right all the time. Just because you can bat from both sides to some degree doesn’t mean you should. Then we wouldn’t have this thing about taking half the season to get going because you have to work both sides of the plate.

• Tom says:

James Shields last 3 years:

Righty hitters: .753 OPS
        Lefty hitters: .723 OPS

I don’t think he should bat righty all the time – he’s susceptible to curves/sliders…. but for a dominant changeup guy he should consider taking away the pitchers best pitch (or at least neutralize it a bit)

• RkyMtnYank says:

I know I am in the minority with that opinion, however, we don’t really know what he would do hitting right vs righties. Could be better, could be worse.

• Mike Axisa says:

Could be a lot worse. Dude has never seen a breaking ball break away from him.

• RkyMtnYank says:

True, but, he could still see the ball better and be more disciplined from the right side all the way around regardless of the righy/lefty thing if that is his true strength. I’m curious when he started hitting lefty.

• Havok9120 says:

He probably hasn’t done it since Little League, and maybe earlier. Could be worth exploring at some point in an offseason, but not now.

• Need Pitching says:

Might be worth a try given his struggles vs. Shields, but I would think the discomfort of not being used to picking up pitches vs. RHP batting right handed would probably offset the .030 OPS point edge.

• Tom says:

It is not simply about gaining a 30 point edge… Tex is a much better hitter righty.

Couple that with a guy who has reverse platoon splits and the cobined impact (batting from your stronger side AND facing a pitcher against his weaker side)

• Tom says:

Last 3 years for Tex:

RH: .948 OPS
              LH: .845 OPS

so you don’t thinking batting on a side you are 100 points better against a pitcher who is also 30 points weaker is significant?

• Mike Axisa says:

How do you know his performance against RHP as a RHB will match his performance as a RHB against LHP?

• Need Pitching says:

It could be, but it is a huge adjustment to face RHP batting right handed if he is not used to doing it. It would definitely be significant if he actually hit RHP batting RH on a regular basis. Until he got used to that, he would likely be even worse. And he may never be able to successfully make the adjustment, there is no way of knowing. It’s not nearly as easy a switch as just looking at his splits implies.

25. Hummingbird S. says:

He took a hanging changeup and swung at a great changeup in the dirt. That’s our #5 hitter!

26. V says:

Yeah, Teixeira, that uppercut you decided to change your swing to, it’s sooooo effective.

27. Hummingbird S. says:

and that’s why they can’t score runs.. Swisher needs to hit in front of Teix ASAP

28. Mike Nitabach says:

What kind of stupid damn reporter question is it to ask Girardi how he thinks Pettitte is going to do!?!? What the fuck is he gonna say?

29. Bubba says:

Tex… Where rallies go to die

30. RkyMtnYank says:

Nova looking pretty nasty tonight.

31. Mike Nitabach says:

Way to go, Nova!

32. Tim says:

Banuelos another great outing earlier today for Scranton, 5 innings, 4 hits, 1 run, 0 BB, 3K’s. Last 3 outings: 10 IP, 6 hits, 1 ER, 9 K’s, 0BB’s, .90 ERA.

33. Tim says:

When will we see Banuelos this season?

• Guest says:

I hope September. That means that the rotation will have worked out pretty well and he will have even more time to develop his stuff. He’s young enough that spending this entire season at AAA can’t hurt.

When it comes to blue chip pitching prospects, I’m tired of the Yankees taking their burrito out of the microwave before its been cooked all the way through. #OldMeme

• Havok9120 says:

First he’d have to come back all the way from being hurt (which we may be able to say he’s done; dunno how many pitches he threw today), find his command again, and then be effective.

So…September, if at all.

• RetroRob says:

He seems fine. Second straight start today without a walk. Considering the command issues he had last year, sounds like he might have regained his touch.

Five innings, four hits, one run, no walks, three K’s.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Well if they’ve learned the lesson he’ll be a September call up at most.

34. Athenian says:

I know there are Tex defenders who will reference past performance as proof he has not regressed to somewhere between a .250 hitter and auto out.

But here is the question. If a guy has an upward swing which generates fly balls, does it not become a concern seeing lazy fly balls like the one he hit in the first inning? Wouldn’t it be the same as the heat Jeter took last year for all those powerful infield singles?

I am trying to understand the defense of Tex offensively and why his performance does not improve – other than he is very streaky as a hitter which is a bad thing.

• Havok9120 says:

35 HR power + .340+ OBP + .250 BA isn’t what the Yanks paid for, but that plus his defense would still warrant a pretty huge contract. I grant you his contract was for a well balanced hitter with a little less power and a higher OBP, but its not like its worthless. Far far far from it. And while RBI isn’t a stat I use very often, its hard to argue about season-long clutchiness when he’s driving in that many runs.

I defend him because people like to act like the contract is a bust and he’s a crappy player with no offensive value, or at least thats how they often talk about him. And that’s just plain wrong when you look at his production, not to mention his defense.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, this. Tex isn’t what they paid for really, but he is still above average, and even good. He’s not elite, but he’s not the automatic out many posters claim. Tex will hit somewhere between 30-40 homers this year while playing stellar defense. This is value in that.

• Athenian says:

This thought comes up after listening to a Baseball Today podcast that stated Adrian Gonzalez is a better all around first baseman than Tex.

• Havok9120 says:

He’s been a better hitter the last several years and will probably be worth his contract more than Tex will be, despite us needing Tex’s defensive abilities more than Boston needs AGon’s.

35. RetroRob says:

Averaging 11 pitches per inning. Great rate.

Runs, please.

36. RetroRob says:

Is Shields a free agent after this season?

Any guesses on what type of contract he’d get.

• Need Pitching says:

9M team option for 2013
      12M team option for 2014

he won’t be a free agent anytime soon

• RetroRob says:

Thanks. I can see them trading him after this season, but his free agency is a ways off.

• Havok9120 says:

Yeah, as I recall there was talk at DRays Bay all offseason about it. I think they’ll pick his options up if they’re serious about expanding payroll and have nothing else to spend it on.

• Mike Axisa says:

I bet they trade Price first. Shields is affordable, Price’s salaries are going to get out of hand very quick through arbitration.

37. RetroRob says:

That’s not an update. They reported Gardner was 2-3 a half hour ago!

38. jjyank says:

Oh Jim Joyce. Your strike call is…interesting.

39. Hummingbird S. says:

nice guess alex

40. RkyMtnYank says:

Pitch count is up for Shields, hopefully they at least keep working him.

41. Havok9120 says:

That as low as it looked, or is Tampa’s camera angle just bad?

• jjyank says:

Are you talking about the A-Rod strikeout? It looked border line to me, could have gone either way. I don’t have a gameday K zone up or anything though, just watching on YES.

• Havok9120 says:

Yeah, I was. I had the Tampa broadcast and wasn’t sure if it was just their angle that it looked way low.

42. handtius says:

nova’s looking good. who’s upset about that one hit?

43. Clyde Barrow says:

41 pitches through 4. Supernova is back. Let’s go offense.

44. Havok9120 says:

Tampa’s broadcasters are putting serious jinxes on Nova. Its like they think Cy Young is on the mound.

45. BK2ATL says:

Nova is dealing through 4. Let’s hope he keeps it up.

We need some offense vs. Shields. Can’t waste baserunners vs. him, A-Rod.

46. jjyank says:

Looking like the grandslam on Sunday got Robbie going. Let’s hope that continues.

47. RkyMtnYank says:

Upton got to that quick, if he hits the cutoff that’s prob a close play.

48. Clyde Barrow says:

Nothing wrong with small ball here. Two productive outs will get him home.

49. damn, that pitch was just filthy

50. jjyank says:

Damn it.

51. Erica says:

SIGH Cano.

52. chcmh says:

The shift is the devil.

53. aRX says:

I am so fucking sick of the Rays infield…

54. Hummingbird S. says:

what a shitty offense

55. BK2ATL says:

Dis-fucking-gusting, Swisher.

56. RetroRob says:

Swisher gets runners in from third with less than two outs than just about any Yankee, if I remember correctly.

Unless it’s against the Rays.

Seriously, if all MLB teams start adopting the Rays’ strategy, we may start seeing defensive coordinators/coaches in baseball.

57. Jeff Karstens, Male Model says:

Offensive ineptitude.

58. Athenian says:

Joe Maddon positions his infield better than Girardi manages the entire Yankees. Sad.

• BK2ATL says:

And with far lesser talent.

It’s like Girardi’s too scared to tell his high-priced guns that if the shift is on, take pitches the other way. Makes Maddon keep looking like a genius. And I guess he is, since it’s working.

• jjyank says:

Do you really think it’s as simple as Girardi telling his players to hit the other way? Tex has acknowledged the problem, so Girardi telling him to do it won’t change a damn thing.

• Havok9120 says:

….yes, because going the other way is just that simple.

59. Erica says:

RAAAUUUUUUULLLLLLLL

60. Mike Nitabach says:

RAUL!

61. jjyank says:

Alright, Raul, you can keep the DH spot awhile longer!

Hellz yeaaaah!

62. Mike Axisa says:

My goodness does Ibanez hit some long homers.

63. Leg-End says:

RAUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLL

64. handtius says:

the dfa due get’s it done.

65. Fuck yeah Raul!!!!!!

66. Tom says:

Ibanez with a productive out… out of the park.

67. Erica says:

What’s Sterling’s home run call for Raul?

68. aRX says:

Shift this, bitches!!!

69. Kramerica Industries says:

That’s called picking up the mates.

Ibanez has homered twice against Shields this year. Go figure.

70. Clyde Barrow says:

Ibanez comes through again.

71. BK2ATL says:

Fuck that shift, Ibanez!!!!

One day, people around will give Cash his props.

2-0 Yanks.

• Tom says:

Ibanez has a .792 OPS… I’ll take that for 1.1mil (or whatever he’s making)

• BK2ATL says:

Some dude yesterday was referencing him being traded, or someone else being brought in. I couldn’t understand that train of thought.

This site sometimes… I swear.

72. Buddy says:

SHIFT THAT BITCH!

73. sum dum phuk says:

Lord Voldemort strikes again!

74. handtius says:

people hating on swish already. it’s due, because every other team gets the runner in from 3rd 143% on the time.

75. Kruk That Noise says:

Jim Joyce’s strike call in 7.1 is searing my soul.

76. RetroRob says:

It’s a shame that Hamilton is such an injury-prone headcase.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, he’s a really exciting player. Unfortunately, I don’t want the Yankees to have anything to do with him.

• RetroRob says:

He’d be fun to watch, on and off the field, yet I see nothing but bad things on any longterm deal.

• jjyank says:

I’m no scientist, but there is no way that what he’s put his body through can age well for an athlete. It’s a shame, he has so much talent.

• No way, the shit he was using is degenerative. It legit breaks down muscle tissue, plus you have to account for the muscle atrophy your body is obviously going to go through while using. Plus…i really don’t think NYC is the best area for a famous recovering addict to be working/living…it’s way to easy to get anything you want/need.

• pistol pete says:

I’d sign Hamilton in a NY minute. He’s one of the two or three best players in the game and we don’t have anyone even remotely as good as he is. Our 23 and 27m players are over the hill, Tex/Arod.

• Mike Axisa says:

And what do you think will happen to Hamilton? He’ll be over the hill in a year, if not sooner.

• Seriously, he’s going to fall off a cliff before age 35. Plus, he’s already had two relapses in a small market like Arlington…imagine him in New York. I mean I’ve got no problem with what any player does off the field, but given his history I think Hamilton needs that second look.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, this. Hamilton will be what, 32 when he signs his next contract? pistol pete wants to remedy our big money, over the hill players by…wait for it…signing a player who will soon be over the hill to a big money deal.

77. Kramerica Industries says:

Scott Kazmir won six straight starts for the Rays at one point in 2008 (courtesy FSFlorida trivia question).

He fell off a cliff a month later after the ASB debacle. Never been the same.

78. Kramerica Industries says:

Rain really coming now.

Need two more outs and this shit is official. Not that I expect this game to just go the minimum, being an important Rays/Yankees affair.

• Havok9120 says:

That’s one thing about the new WC…gotta be harder for the MLB to call divisional non-blowouts.

79. Cy Pettitte says:

hurry up Nova!

80. chcmh says:

I live two miles from the stadium and it’s pouring.

81. Leg-End says:

Nova, beat that rain.

82. Erica says:

Agh.

83. Cy Pettitte says:

is that Swish or Greg Golson in RF?

• Monterowasdinero says:

Don’t ever put those two arms in the same sentence.

Sincerely,
      The one and only member of the Greg Golson fan club.

84. Clyde Barrow says:

He has to beat the rain. Then they have to call it so Nova doesn’t have to come back out.

85. RetroRob says:

So what’s the forecast for the rest of the night?

• jjyank says:

I thought it was just scattered showers. I think they’ll get the game in. If the forecast was really bad, they’d probably have the tarp on right now.

86. Erica says:

What exactly is Jim Joyce growl-grunting? My ears! They cannot pick up such sounds accurately.

Let’s go Nova!

87. chcmh says:

He gets standing ‘novation’ (channeling inner sterling)

88. Nova! outstanding tonight.

89. Need Pitching says:

Really glad Nova pitching great today.
    I was starting to worry about him.

• Havok9120 says:

This. Those hit numbers and consistently high fastballs of questionable effectiveness were making me sad.

90. Eirias says:

Alright, call the game.

91. flamingo says:

Was just able to turn on the radio – Sterling’s telling me that Nova’s been outstanding?! AWESOME. Feel free to supply more details, y’all.

92. Cy Pettitte says:

these whiffs are very satisfying. Nova looks amazing.

93. MannyGeee says:

So a couple of points, as I was away from my iPad for an inning or 2:

- Raul Ibanez = True Yankee (c)
    - Ivan Nova = fcking maniac
    - seeing Jose Molina throw today reminds me how much I loved him. So goddam natural behind the plate.
    - rain shorted game might not be a bad thing tonight… Jus sayin.
    - if I type in “ju” on my iPad, it auto fills “Jus Sayin”. Write it too much, or smartest iPad ever?

• RkyMtnYank says:

I was thinking the same thing about Molina. I don’t care what the catcher hits, that’s not the importance of that position, only a plus. Sorry Jorge.

• jjyank says:

I’d like to agree on Molina. I always like him, and thought he was one of the best BUCs in the league. Great defense, pops a homer every once in awhile.

94. Greg says:

Raul Ibanez > Randy Winn

• Ham Sandwich- Ham>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Randy Winn.

• Kruk That Noise says:

dust bunny > Randy Winn

• MannyGeee says:

Raul Mondesi > Randy Winn

• Erica says:

Heh.

• Speaking of the Honorable one, where has he been all season?

• jjyank says:

He showed up in a thread the other day, and said he was leaving again because of some of the ridiculousness. Can’t say I blame him sometimes.

• RetroRob says:

I do think some of the crazies here now have driven out some of the better commentators.

• I remember when I first really started posting with an account as Chen Meng Wang, it was during an AJ Burnett start and this guy Jesse and I got into a heated argument over whether AJ could ever turn it around…we wound up becoming RAB buddies lol, I wonder what happened to him.

• Havok9120 says:

He still lurks and posts every now and then. Much reduced. Mondesi posted in several consecutive threads late in the offseason, then disappeared again, then reappeared a couple days ago.

• Yeah, this place can get ridiculous, but it doesn’t hold a candle to LoHud…I completely missed the huge throw down last night between Plank and Ted Nelson, and Mike deleted it because apparently it got really nasty. What happened?

• Havok9120 says:

Nothing worth covering in depth. It was just silly. This time Ted started it again and then it just kept rolling along with the help of both.

• jjyank says:

Oh wow I didn’t realize it was deleted. It started out as a discussion/argument about the $189 mil budget with me and Ted on one side and Plank and Manny’s Bandwagon on the other. It started getting nasty, Manny backed out quickly, then I backed out once name calling got involved, and then Plank and Ted went on for a good while longer. It wasn’t pretty. To be honest with out, I stopped looking at it once I backed out of the argument.

All in all though, you’re right, RAB is waaaay better than every other blog, crazies and all.

to be honest with *you

• Honestly, no matter what the disagreement is, personal attacks and name calling outside of calling somebody’s idea stupid is just not called for. People have to remember we’re talking about a team, playing a game, that we’re supposed to enjoy.

• jjyank says:

I agree. I’m actually glad that epic argument happened, it made me realize that I don’t come to RAB for that nonsense, and I need to back out quicker when it happens. I, unfortunately, have been involved in a couple of large arguments, and I’m determined to nip that in the bud next time.

• RetroRob says:

I actually find the Plank-Ted Nelson exchanges funny just because they get under each other’s skins. Once it starts, you pretty much know Mike has to add another server just to hold all the comments.

I still think there’s 20% chance they are the same person.

• MannyGeee says:

I straight up miss that dude. He was the best.

• pistol pete says:

Ibanez is proving me wrong and I’m happy that he is, hope he keeps it going.

• Erica says:

My hardcore Phillies phan phriend told me that Raul is clutch and had only the best things to say about him. I’ll take her word, I guess.

• MannyGeee says:

She was lying to you, she was saying it to make you feel better.

kinda like how the guy at the dealership tells you that the brown Hyundai in the corner of the lot is a great deal because it has 280,000 “highway” miles…

95. Tom says:

80 pitches… if they can make him work this inning, they might have Shields out after 6 innings

96. Leg-End says:

Shields has thrown 80 pitches already? Nice.

97. Hall and Nokes says:

What’s with YES doing nothing but blowout material tonight?

98. Fuck yeah, the Grandyman can.

99. Leg-End says:

That Grandyman, oh boy.

100. Erica says:

Alright Grandy!

101. Greg says:

The Grandyman!

102. BK2ATL says:

Granderson is locked in in 2012!!!! Love it!!!

3-0 Yanks.

103. Total Dominication says:

An at bat of pawnage.

104. MannyGeee says:

Wow, the Grandyman sure fcking can

105. Hall and Nokes says:

Nice YSIII cheapie.

Now let’s get back to the drawing chick.

106. MannyGeee says:

Fun fact, Jeff Suppan is still pitching. Who knew?

107. Cy Pettitte says:

that’s what I call a short porch special

108. Total Dominication says:

So A-rod has a 380 obp and is on track for juuust under 30 hr. Especially at 3b, that’s pretty damn good.

109. Don'tcha Know? says:

Is Middlebrooks actually THIS good? (Please say no)

110. Kramerica Industries says:

Jose Molina?

Jesus what a gift.

111. aRX says:

…seriously? Molina? Oh well.

112. chcmh says:

So which one of you guys said you like Molina?

113. RkyMtnYank says:

Another interesting OT note: Cody Ransom showed up in my fantasy search for a SS hitting .351 with 4 homers and and 12 rbi in 37 ab’s.

114. Clyde Barrow says:

You’ve shut them down all game and then you give up a HR to Jose Molina? Really?

115. Hummingbird S. says:

oh boy, comon Nova

116. Cy Pettitte says:

@BloggingBombers: A fan just yelled at Zobrist: “Zobrist! You’re last in the alphabet! LAST!” #SadTrashTalking

I found this way funnier than I should have

117. Don'tcha Know? says:

Pena ’bout to do what Pena does best. Kill the Yankees.

118. Erica says:

Love them 3-6-3 double plays. LOVE.

119. Kramerica Industries says:

Nova just avoided a major shatting, especially at a time when Carlos Pena was ripe to do what Pena always does to this team.

Huge DP.

120. Athenian says:

Damn it… if he would only start hitting. Serious glove.

121. Tom says:

Say what you want about Tex at the plate… but not sure anyone in baseball turns DP that better than Tex.

122. chcmh says:

Nova’s ball is flying beautifully tonite.

123. Total Dominication says:

Michael, Shields has not pitched well.

124. MannyGeee says:

Burke Badenhop warming… Sounds like something the Swedish Chef would say

125. Greg says:

Weird thing.

Whenever I see Burke Badenhop’s name, I think of Boris Badenov from Rocky and Bullwinkle

126. jjyank says:

Maybe Mike should post highlighting one of Nova’s problems on every day he starts?

…I may or may not be becoming superstitious.

127. MannyGeee says:

Sidebar… The Melkman has a .429 avg against LHP this season. And as I type this, Swisher kills my boner with a DP…

128. Havok9120 says:

By the way, I dunno if you’ve all seen this already, but Bronx Banter put up “Reggie Jackson in No Man’s Land,” marking the first time the whole article has ever been on the internet, which I thought was shocking considering that its a classic. I know I’d never read the whole thing before, and I’d bet most people around my age probably haven’t either. Good LORD is that worth the read.

Here’s the link: http://www.bronxbanterblog.com.....mans-land/

• Professor Longnose says:

Thanks for pointing this out. I remember the stir. I was a big fan of Munson, and never warmed to Reggie.

• Havok9120 says:

Yeah, I remember hearing about this article for years and years. I was glad to finally read it all the way through.

And “I’m the straw that stirs the drink,” is probably pretty deeply ingrained in Yankee lore at this point.

129. flamingo says:

Nova in the freaking 7th inning under 80 pitches.

130. Greg says:

My god. Luke Scott sporting the chops

131. MannyGeee says:

Dunno if anyone has mentioned it tonight, but boy oh boy does Luke Scott look like an asshole with those chin chops.

• Kramerica Industries says:

With or without the mutton chops, Luke Scott is an asshole.

That’s his whole persona. And it can be hilarious when he’s trashing Boston and the whole establishment, or annoying as fuck as he continues to flat-out MASH for the Rays.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Actually, that jackass has cooled off big time of late.

Still over .500 SLG, though, so I guess the “mashing” part is still valid.

132. flamingo says:

UGH. Is the ball really carrying tonight?

133. Hummingbird S. says:

get him out, hes done

134. Maybe time to get someone up?

135. Kramerica Industries says:

Nova starting to get touched up big-time out there.

Joyce to the warning track, and Scott took him deep. Rested BP, have to start getting the arms warm. 3-2 is no time to fuck around.

136. jjyank says:

God damn it Luke Scott, you’re so easy to hate with that insane facial hair.

137. Luisergi says:

Not watching… please tell me Joe has somebody up!!

138. Manny's BanWagon says:

The Yankees need to move back the fence or raise the wall in RF. Some of these HRs are ridiculous.

139. Need Pitching says:

how do they not have anybody warming yet?

140. Dan in Atlanta says:

You can’t blow out pens because your starters hang pitches. Nova only at 85 pitches, he needs to man the fuck up and get some outs.

141. Kramerica Industries says:

Walking Jeff Keppinger?

That’s a no-no. Especially as a RHP.

142. RkyMtnYank says:

Nova seems like a different pitcher since the rain started. His control hasn’t been the same since it started.

143. Dan in Atlanta says:

And we blow Soriano and DRob on cue, because Girardi can’t trust Nova.

144. Luisergi says:

Wow gameday had that 1st pitch over the plate…

145. Clyde Barrow says:

Nova needs to get through this inning with the lead. Get a DP here and let SoRo take over.

146. Hummingbird S. says:

as usual Joe comes with the hook a batter too late… everyone knew Nova was done, everyone but Girardi

147. Kramerica Industries says:

Wow.

Shocked Keppinger didn’t score there. And now Nova is in big danger of not only surrendering the lead, but flipping the margin in the Rays favor.

Not good.

Not good at all.

148. Dan in Atlanta says:

Nova not finishing again. Nice collapse after 80 pitches. What is this little league?

• handtius says:

go troll somewhere else. 7 innings of 2 run ball against one of the best teams in baseball is good.

• Dan in Atlanta says:

Funny, you made no such post while things were looking bad. I, however, immediately called myself on being wrong when Girardi didn’t lift him and he got out of it.

After that, then you posted with the gift of second sight and information not available at the first post and ignored that I went mea culpa before your post.

Wow, you are truly a man with a sterling intellect with your awesome trolling post.

• handtius says:

not everyone refreshes the page constantly. it you did retract fine, but don’t be so quick to jump the gun that everyone will fail. i do other things then sit in front of the screen and refresh. got to clip my toe nails every so often.

149. God damn…gotta get Rodriguez here. Then bring in the lefty.

150. jjyank says:

Huge out. Nice arm, Swish.

151. Greg says:

Nice play by Swisher

152. The Dude says:

Sigh. Lazy pitch selection on both HRs given up by Nova today. But this how Yankees-Rays games go. No matter how many HRs the Yankees hit the Rays always seem to be within striking distance. Maybe we the Yankees should wear Red Sox uniforms whenever they play the Rays since the Rays seem to bend over when they play them.

153. Kramerica Industries says:

Thanks for hacking, SeanRod.

One out away from avoiding a disastrous inning.

154. MannyGeee says:

Wow swish is throwing darts tonite huh

155. Karl Krawfid says:

Where did swish get this arm?

156. Havok9120 says:

That may be the best throw Swish has made outside the playoffs.

157. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Idiot Girardi, you’re supposed to IBB Rodriguez.

158. HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE BOUNCE BACK PITCH

159. MannyGeee says:

Wow… What a heart attack inning…

Nova is clutch!

160. handtius says:

nova gon nutterz.

161. Zooboy says:

162. Dan in Atlanta says:

Or I am completely and totally wrong. Noce job Ivan.

163. Professor Longnose says:

That was the best K of the season so far.

164. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

YEEAAHHHHH BOIIIII

165. Hummingbird S. says:

beautiful! love the fist pump

166. Mike Nitabach says:

YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!

167. flamingo says:

Way to go, Nova!

I’ll sign up for 7 IP, 2 runs every time.

168. Leg-End says:

Thats hows its done Nova.

169. Kramerica Industries says:

Whew.

Soriano and DRob to the finish point. An insurance run or two would be very nice right now.

170. jjyank says:

‘Atta boy Nova! Huge to get out of that, both for the Yankees, and for Nova’s own confidence.

171. Mike Axisa says:

Three breaking balls to Molina for the whiff. Very nice.

172. RkyMtnYank says:

SWEET, Nova deserved to leave with a lead!

173. DERP says:

I hope Nova’s huge balls don’t cause him any future health problems.

174. chcmh says:

Wow, how awesome were those outs – just the best.

175. That’s gotta be the biggest moment of the game, I don’t care what the numbers say, that was by far the biggest pitch.

176. Hall and Nokes says:

Fist pump!

177. GardnergoesYardner says:

Chance to keep the win streak alive!

/Pretendinglikelastweekneverhappened

178. Greg says:

Josh Hamilton for MVP please. .400, 13hr, 34rbi

• pistol pete says:

Free agent next year, gotta sign this guy.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Seems like Texas gets better each season.

But close can they get to the World Series title without winning it this year? Hard to top losing after TWICE being one strike away from winning.

Maybe it’s finally their year.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

Nah, this year they’ll call the final strike, but by that time they’ll have review for balls and strikes so they’ll reverse it and then they’ll lose.

The Curse of th Claw and Antlers or somethin

179. pistol pete says:

You just saw the difference between Nova and Hughes.

180. Manny's BanWagon says:

4-4 with 3 homers and a double for Josh Hamilton.

When he’s healthy, he like Roy Hobbs

181. MannyGeee says:

Ha, they sat Soriano down…

182. Andy E says:

id like to see on article on why nova keeps winning and getting guys out, even though his ‘underlying statistics’ dont suggest he would be so good. how does this guy keep overachieving? and im not complaining, by the way

183. Lord Voldemort strikes again!!!!

184. MannyGeee says:

TRUE FUCKING YANKEEEEEEEEE!

185. DERP says:

Is Raul Ibanez a GOD? I’m not sure.

186. flamingo says:

Sterling, I concede this one: RAUL, SO COOL!

YESSSSSS.

187. Greg says:

DING DONG FOR VOLDEMORT

188. jjyank says:

VOLDEMORT….GOES YARDEMORT!!!!

189. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Raul Ibanez: chasing Bonds.

190. Mike Nitabach says:

RAUL 2!!!!!

191. Andy E says:

…and that was a rocket

192. RetroRob says:

Ibanez is doing to the Rays this year what Pena does to the Yankees.

Three HRs against them now?

193. chcmh says:

i-ba-huge!!!!

194. Kramerica Industries says:

Raul goes yaht-zee again.

Guy is nuts.

195. Tom says:

When are they DFA’ing this guy again?

That ball was SMOKED!

196. Erica says:

RAUL WTF HOW

197. Andy E says:

• RetroRob says:

He’s difficult to get a read on. Almost all the so-called experts predicted a collapse this year based on his strikeout rate, yet they also failed to see the increased usage of his slider and the high percentage of swings and misses he was generating after he returned last year.

The increased strikeout rate has continued, which is good, but the groundball rate has risen, less good. If he could actually maintain his K rate since late last year and bring back the higher ground ball rate, then he could easily be a #3, or not a #2.

There’s more there than I originally thought, even though I was a Nova supporter for at least the #5 slot.

198. Cy Pettitte says:

Josh Hamilton must be chugging cough syrup

199. MannyGeee says:

Wow, Russell is taking this “catchers can’t hit” thing a little too seriously

200. Clyde Barrow says:

There’s our insurance run. Ibanez was such a good pick up when he is able to be used appropriately.

201. Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

I just started watching. How was Nova? I like that he only gave up 5 hits, but were there lots of hard hit balls, or was it mostly weak contact?

Also, Raul really doesn’t get cheated with his homers.

• Need Pitching says:

he was dominant the first 5 innings
      started to get hit hard the last 2

• jjyank says:

He wiggled out of some trouble in the last inning, but he was great otherwise. He had some nasty breaking pitches tonight.

• Havok9120 says:

Molina’s homer was just that, a Molina homer. And the other homer was a Yankee Stadium special. Until last inning, he wasn’t getting hit much at all. There were some loud outs to right field tonight tho. 3 ground ball singles, 1 of which didn’t leave the IF. Swish made a great throw home that probably would have gotten Keppinger had he tried to go home after tagging.

5 totally dominant innings, 1 where he lost command a bit but got out of it with his second well timed DP, and 1 where he was getting hit and walking guys but wiggled out of it with the best Yankee K of the young season.

• Tom says:

That was good pitching by Soriano… if not for the wild pitch that’s a Robertson special.

That was a gutsy fastball in on the 3-2 pitch that blew up his bat, after that he had him setup for just about anything.

202. Kramerica Industries says:

I swear, AJ Burnett could dominate the 1927 Yankees on his best day and get hammered by the 2003 Tigers on his worst day.

Enigma personified.

203. Havok9120 says:

Sigh. Nova going back out apparently.

As long as its a very short leash, I actually kind of like it. Veryyyyyy short leash.

204. DERP says:

David Phelps is doing yeoman’s work on that bag of seeds.

205. Leg-End says:

Jeter, my fantasy team thanks you.

206. Manny's BanWagon says:

Mike and friends,
    Now that Chris Davis has gone into the shitter as soon as I picked him up to replace Longoria, who should I replace him with?

Pedro Alvarez
    Will Middlebrooks
    Chase Headley
    Chris Johnson
    Jed Lowrie
    Kyle Seager

• Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Headley

tony clark

• jjyank says:

I’d go Headley. Keep an eye on Alvarez though, I think he’s been picking it up as of late.

• MannyGeee says:

Well, mike just informed us that WMB got hurt today…

I am partial to Lowrie, if only because I think he’s gonna get the playing time in a shitty Houston lineup where he’ll hit a bit.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Really like Alvarez.

I was actually pondering picking him up myself today. .885 OPS and an excellent slugging percentage. Plays in a shitty lineup with no protection, though.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

That’s what I think. Maybe he’s turning the corner. Headley hasn’t done anything in 2 weeks after a hot start.

207. Havok9120 says:

And the Cap’n, just reminding us he’s in the lineup tonight.

208. DERP says:

JOSH HAMILTON!!!1

209. Kramerica Industries says:

Josh Hamilton has hit FOUR home runs tonight!!

Jesus!

210. Cy Pettitte says:

Josh Hamilton 4HR’s jesus.

211. flamingo says:

Wait… Hamilton hit 4 HRs?!?!

212. Havok9120 says:

Crap, I forgot it was Yogi’s birthday on the 12th.

Awesome. :)

• jjyank says:

Indeed. Dude has a world series ring for every finger. Without bothering to look anything up, that’s gotta be the most ever for one player/manager, right?

213. Hamilton just went yard for the 4th time in the game. 5-5 with 4Homers and a double of the wall.

214. jjyank says:

Well the first save situation post-Mo injury, and Soriano is the 8th inning guy.

215. MannyGeee says:

Wow Nova got a tan over the last 1/2 inning

216. GardnergoesYardner says:

Wow Hamilton.

That’s crazy! He’s a fucking god

217. Kramerica Industries says:

I love Soriano.

What a schmuck.

218. Cy Pettitte says:

Soriano /facepalm

219. flamingo says:

Thanks, Soriano. Thanks a lot.

220. Tony says:

Haha. MLB network just had a breaking news pop up at the bottom of the screen that said Phil Humber threw the 21st perfect game in history. They just corrected it for Hamiltons 4 homers

221. Leg-End says:

Jesus titty christ, I hope Hamilton isn’t on my fantasy teams matchup this week.

222. aRX says:

Anyone got Hamilton in fantasy? He might singlehandedly win you most of your offensive categories this week o.0

• Mike HC says:

Yea, I do. He is hitting so much he is making up for Pujols hitting so little on my team. I’m sure when Pujols gets it going and starts hitting at an absurd rate, Hamilton will be on the DL. That is how these things usually go I find.

223. MannyGeee says:

Wow, I have never seen letters so big on MLB Network as thrones that just told me about Hamiltons 4th homer

224. Mike HC says:

Feeling the loss of Mo already. This would have been Robertson to Mo. Now Soriano gets in the mix and makes it interesting. Hopefully he gets out of it.

225. handtius says:

i wouldn’t have minded seeing what nova could do in the 8th. go batter to batter, see how long he can go.

226. Cy Pettitte says:

Showalter should be fired for leaving in a sidearming righty against Hamilton.

227. Mike HC says:

Josh Hamilton. 4 homers. He is good.

• MannyGeee says:

How many homers did the ENITRE Yankees team get against the Os last week?

• GardnergoesYardner says:

We had less runs than Hamilton himself has scored tonight

• Mike HC says:

I remember when Cano and Hamilton were going homer for homer in that playoff series a couple of years ago. Even though we lost, that was one great series, especially the performance from Cano and Hamilton. You know Cano has a hot streak in him yet this year too. Not on Hamiltons level though

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Like Barry Bonds on steroids good.

228. chcmh says:

Jim Joyce can be annoying

229. Havok9120 says:

Now, I never, ever, EVER wish injury on players….but WMB leaving the Boston game will probably have the denizens of OTM lined up on the monster for a mass suicide attempt.

• handtius says:

i don’t understand these initials. or any text shortening for the most part.

• Professor Longnose says:

OTM is Over The Monster (overthemonster.com), a popular Red Sox blog, where Red Sox angst can be read almost every day.

• Havok9120 says:

OTM- Over the Monster. A good Sox blog. The writers are all quite good and the community is….well…interesting. They’re not abusive even if Yanks fans post, at least not most nights. And they’ve been ready to jump off a cliff since about February.

WMB- Will Middlebrooks, the only thing the people of OTM have taken pleasure in all season.

• Professor Longnose says:

Yes, I enjoy reading it. I like Sons Of Sam Horn, too. It’s less rationale, but can be fun.

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

It makes RAB during the Os and Royals series seem civil.

• jjyank says:

I said this elsewhere, not sure if you saw it, but now I know where I am going for a little nighttime reading after the Yankee game. OTM should be fun tonight.

230. Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

I hate, hate, HATE the Rangers, but it’s really nice to see a team finally exposing the true Orioles. No more of this 19-9 crap.

231. Greg says:

Soriano channeling his inner Robertson

232. handtius says:

soriano. what a shmuck. striking out two batters after giving up a triple. garbage.

233. jjyank says:

Big K there. One more MFIKY.

234. chcmh says:

I’m feeling the mo-less-ness tonite.

235. DERP says:

I’m pretty sure the Yankees and Red Sox series were the Orioles’ World Series. They suck.

236. flamingo says:

Freaking Soriano.

237. Kramerica Industries says:

The run still had to score.

Damned near impossible to finish the Rays. And it’s annoying as fuck to watch.

238. aRX says:

*sigh*

239. Greg says:

That’s Martin’s fault. You were calling for it down, protect down

• jjyank says:

I actually kind fo agree. Martin knows there’s a runner on third, and he called for a breaking ball down, he’s gotta block it better. Maybe not Martin’s fault entirely, but it’s not Soriano’s either.

• RkyMtnYank says:

No way, you never expect a pitch like that to have to be blocked. It’s a wild pitch plain and simple.

240. Cy Pettitte says:

what a tease. shame on me for thinking he’s strand the runner I guess.

241. Damnit MFIKY..you were going so well after the lead off triple.

242. Manny's BanWagon says:

Zobrist is on my fantasy team so if we win 4-3, that run is OK.

243. Leg-End says:

I’m not one to hate on a Yankee but does anyone actually like Soriano? I’ve just never took to the guy.

244. Hummingbird S. says:

If they’re going to have a catcher who CAN’T hit, he should at least be able to block pitches in the dirt. Yet we’ve seen a bunch of wild pitches early on..

• handtius says:

that bounced 3 feet in front of the plate. anyone would have a problem handling that…even molina the magician.

• Greg says:

If there is a guy on third, dont call for the pitch to be down if you cant block it

• RkyMtnYank says:

Have you ever actually played this game, even little league?

• handtius says:

a pitch down is different then a pitch 3 feet in front of the plate. that’s a spiked pitch that bounces and you can’t predict the exact trajectory. i would have like him to block it, but it’s not completely his fault.

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

so only call for pitches up against a HR hitter? Good idea.

• Greg says:

Up, but away. Dot the outside corner

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

Easier said than done. If you keep throwing pitches in the same location, eventually the hitter will adjust unless it’s like 97 on the black but Soriano can’t do that.

• handtius says:

do that every time and it get’s predictable. you can’t take away his slider because there’s a man on third. that’s just stupid. that’s pitching or calling pitches scared. that’s how you get beat.

• Hummingbird S. says:

There have been far too many wild pitches this season.. Martin sucks with the bat and looks like hes regressed with the glove

245. Havok9120 says:

That was….anti-climactic.

246. Kramerica Industries says:

Get Soriano the hell out of there.

247. Karl Krawfid says:

Slider Slider Slider Slider Slider

248. TurdFerguson10 says:

Wow, Russell Martin really sucks at catching.

249. flamingo says:

Every time I decide that my irrational hatred for Soriano is just that – irrational – he manages to annoy me again.

250. RetroRob says:

Is that Wolverine at the plate? So we have Voldemort and Wolverine n the same game?

251. Mike HC says:

We’ll take it

252. chcmh says:

Ok, heart attack, but a good heart attack.

253. Total Dominication says:

Good coming back from 3-0 there.

254. jjyank says:

MFIKY comes through! Hopefully D-Rob doesn’t stress me out as much.

255. Clyde Barrow says:

Soriano just isn’t going to hack it as an 8th inning guy. He’s walking guys left and right. Get Robertson into the game.

• flamingo says:

I think I was saying that about Robertson last year.

Apropos of nothing, though, because there’s a bit of difference between the two.

• Havok9120 says:

Do you understand what you just said there? Granted, its possible DRob has actually figured it out with the walks, but still….

256. Greg says:

So only the ineffectiveness of Martin costs them a run.
    If you are going to call for that pitch and that location in that situation, you better block it. If not, don’t call it

• Mike HC says:

Considering Soriano gave up he triple and bounced a nasty pitch well before the plate, I would say that run is mostly on Soriano, even though Martin does get part blame, but small.

• Greg says:

The pitch could have been better for sure, but the pitcher trusts the catcher to block it.

• Mike HC says:

I’m just not discounting that the runner was on third to begin with because of Soriano. But agreed that didn’t get the job done there.

• Havok9120 says:

Sure, but that was a clear AJ pitch. No one gets those regularly.

• handtius says:

dude, you don’t trust a catcher to block a ball that bounces 3 feet in front of the plate. that’s why it’s called a Wild Pitch, not a past ball.

• RkyMtnYank says:

Sure, just throw a fastball down the middle then to get hammered for a home run.

• Tom says:

Ineffectiveness? The ball hit 2 feet in front of home plate.

If it bounces after the plate I can see blaming Martin but when it bounces that far in front of the plate and has side spin on it, the catcher doesn’t have that much of a chance

• Need Pitching says:

calling for it down doesn’t mean bounce it 3 feet in front of the plate. Soriano didn’t execute properly. The pitched should have been bounced on the plate (if at all) not well in front of the plate. Martin deserves some of the blame, but you’re going ridiculously over the top with the critique. Every catcher occasionally is unable to block pitches in the dirt, even when they are expecting it. Should every team completely abandon the slider with a runner on third because occasionally it might have a bad consequence?

• JohnnyC says:

Montero would have blocked it. Okay, I shouldn’t have gone there.

257. Tony says:

Its going to be weird seeing Drob in the 9th. Hopefully he strikes out the side for his 3rd straight appearance

258. Greg says:

By the way, Devils up 3-1 in the third period over the Flyers.

259. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Jake McGee’s body is really lanky and it bothers me.

260. jjyank says:

Wow Upton, that was bad.

• Havok9120 says:

That thing was a missile, but yeah. That was certainly less than I’d expect from him there.

• jjyank says:

Yeah it wasn’t an easy play, but you gotta prioritize getting in front of that ball. He just misjudged it, thought he could catch it on the fly at first. It happens, but I thought his defensive was better than that.

• CP says:

The ball skipped of the grass. It didn’t take a normal hop. He still should have at least knocked it down, but it’s not as bad as it first looked.

• jjyank says:

That’s pretty much what I’m saying. It was a tough play, but Upton should have at least tried to get in front of it to knock it down. It’s semantics really, hard to judge a players defense on a tough play like that, but I just thought Upton could make that play.

261. RetroRob says:

Wouldn’t be a Yankees-Rays game without some bad Upton play in center.

• Rick Bladt Attack says:

The Tampa announcers are actually questioning why this was an error, and think it should be scored a double. He did jog after the ball with a moderate sense of urgency though…

262. Manny's BanWagon says:

How the hell isn’t Arod on 3rd?

263. JohnC says:

Soriano hasn’t pitched in days. A little rusty, but he did well. Give him a break guys!

264. Mike HC says:

Cano usually hits these middle relief lefties.

265. pistol pete says:

Arod smoked that one but he should be on third, loafed out of the box.

266. Manny's BanWagon says:

The Yankees should see if the Rays will let Cano’s father pitch to him.

267. mike_h says:

hoping for a Tex HR

268. Havok9120 says:

Joe Maddon: doing his thing.

269. Greg says:

Take that Maddon!

270. Manny's BanWagon says:

Wow Teix. Was not expecting that.

271. jjyank says:

Man, that extra cushion feels good. ‘Atta boy Tex!

272. flamingo says:

THANKS TEX!

273. chcmh says:

Pound it past the shift. Love it, Tex.

274. Zooboy says:

Eat shift!

275. Havok9120 says:

Take that shift!

Again I say: Joe Maddon, ladies and gentlemen!

They all do things that backfire.

276. Professor Longnose says:

If Swisher hits one out it’s not a save situation.

277. Guest says:

Hamilton hit 4 tonight.

Sweet mother of mercy.

Kemp/Hamilton for most joint tattoo’s by league MVP’s in MLB history. Keep it going boys!

278. Manny's BanWagon says:

I’d like to see an RAB t-shirt that says “take that shift and shove it”.

279. Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

So Soriano gets some big outs and Tex gets a clutch hit! What is going on here??!!?

280. Tom says:

Martin would have had that.

281. handtius says:

molina is such a shitty catcher. how can he let that get by!Q?!?!?

282. Havok9120 says:

Whoa. Jose havin’ a bad night back there. That wasn’t his fault tho, or even close to it. He’s just getting beat up.

283. chcmh says:

I think they should shift an extra fielder behind the plate.

284. BK2ATL says:

So does the narrative that Nova gets so much run support hold weight when he leaves with a 3-2 lead, and the Yanks then tack on more runs after he leaves the game??? Because 3 runs is a watershed event.

• Havok9120 says:

Well….he still gets a ton of run support. But tonight was a fantastic start. Easily his best so far.

• BK2ATL says:

He usually leaves with a lead, but you must realize that 6 innings and 3 earned runs = 4.50 ERA. But that qualifies as a quality start. Plus Nova gets tagged with the run that might come around once Boone Logan or Luis Ayala (last year) allowed the inherited base runner to score.

I don’t know if it exists, but maybe we should see a tally of how many runs were scored when Nova departs the game. The Yanks typically put up runs when they get into bullpens, whoch is generally after Nova is gone.

I’m just not sure about that narrative though.

• Havok9120 says:

1) QS is one of the worst stats in the history of bad stats, and what little use it has has nothing to do with Ivan Nova. Especially since he only pitched with really good results in 2 games this season and his others needed a lot of runs even to get a ND, let alone his other W.

2) Its not as if he pitched lights out for that whole win streak. It wasn’t even close to lights out. The narrative comes from that. Its justified this season, though I honestly don’t remember the stat for last season.

• Bunt Gardner says:

It’s not a “narrative” when it’s a fact.

• handtius says:

if a catcher ever lets a wild pitch get by, he should be fired, dfa’d on the spot. no excuses.

285. Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

Greg, do you think Molina should have caught that?

286. BK2ATL says:

If Ibanez hits his 3rd HR of the night….

287. Hall and Nokes says:

Will Robertson get his own walk-out music? One out away from me being sad.

288. RetroRob says:

First save situation PM (post Mo). Where’s my tequila?

For the record, I have full faith in D-Rob.

Tequila…..yikes.

• BK2ATL says:

It better be the good stuff. It’s only Tuesday night. Too much more week left to be drinking crap tequila.

• RetroRob says:

Tequila has a bad rap, basically because most of our first experiences with tequila is the bad stuff and usually in bad, drunken situations. So people think of tequilla as something to be ordered when tryingn to get f’d up.

There is some excellent tequillas. Great sipping out of a snifter. Out in California there are some excellent tequila bars.

For the record, I have no tequila in my home and did not have a drink during D-Rob’s appearance!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Exactly. There are some GREAT, complex tequilas out there.

Rum, for different reasons, gets a bum rap as well. We know what we mix in with other stuff, but there are some amazing sipping rums out there.

289. Don'tcha Know? says:

What would the argument be for Josh Hamilton as All-Time Top 5 had he not squandered his “youth” away on drugs and booze?

it would be a good one.

• Havok9120 says:

All-Time top 5? That’s a heck of a bar for OFers.

In all likelihood, he wouldn’t have a case good enough for that conversation. Or anywhere close to that.

• handtius says:

the problem is you don’t know. and you can’t. you’ll never know if he would have stayed healthy even if he didn’t have a drug problem.

• jjyank says:

No, I agree with Havok. It’s more likely that Hamilton doesn’t reach the Mays, Mantle, Bonds, Griffey level than he does. It’s a really, really, high bar to set. That’t not a knock on Hamilton, but there have been a lot of legendary outfielders.

• Havok9120 says:

That’s the biggest part of the problem, yeah. I mean, this same argument could be had about Griffy.

The other big part of my point I think is important too tho….Top 5 in the OF is a fairly high bar after 140 years of pro baseball. Top 5 ANYTHING is a fairly high bar after this much history and so many fantastic players.

• RetroRob says:

It’s hard to construct an argument for top five, or top anything, on something that never happened.

All I know is based on talent and “can’t miss” buzz, based on players being drafted and what was expected, Griffey, Jr., A-Rod, Josh Hamilton and Bryce Harper had the most buzz of any position prospects of the past 25 years.

• Don'tcha Know? says:

It seems as though Hamilton, based on talent alone, may be the best of the batch.

• RetroRob says:

That’s a tough one. Bryce Harper has been called the best position prospect in the past 30 years. Some have even tried to claim since Mantle. I think that’s overblown and impossible to compare, but it says something. A-Rod was #1 before the Internet, blogs, etc. were in full swing, so the buzz never got to what it is today. I don’t remember the consensus being that Hamiltion had more talent than A-Rod, but they were equivalent, can’t-miss prospects.

• jjyank says:

That’s a hard thing to argue though. Hamilton has the best talent of any outfielder, ever? It’s one thing to compare statistics, but to compare raw talent across generations? Not possible.

• handtius says:

A-rod is levels above hamilton in my book…a shortstop versus a centerfeilder and a-rod came up younger and has been better over the first 5 years of his career. A-rod is the closest we’ve seen to a legend in recent years along with bonds (he would have been considered a top 5 if he never did the needle)

• RetroRob says:

That’s right. We’re looking at A-Rod today, who will turn 37 this summer, bad hip, no longer at SS, well from his prime, and he is still someone who can crank out 30 HRs in a more depressed hitting environment.

I remember when A-Rod was drafted and he was considered an incredible prospect, matched by few ever.

• OldYanksFan says:

Harper has mad skills. A true 5 tool player, which Hamilton is not. Harper fields, throws and run better. He doesn’t have that ‘smooth’ natural look, but I think he’s the closest player to Mantle we’ve seen.

• Cuso says:

It would be similar to the Mickey Mantle argument

• Robinson Tilapia says:

All-Time Top 5 what? Ranger outfielders? Sure.

290. Dan in Atlanta says:

What was his music?

291. Dan in Atlanta says:

Sweet Home Alabama?

292. jjyank says:

I know the whole 8th inning / 9th inning difference is way overblown, but this is kind of a test for D-Rob, no? Nothing that happens tonight is definitive for sure, but the Yankees are going to need to start evaluating closer options for the future. I hope D-Rob states his case well.

• Havok9120 says:

See….I’m not sure its way overblown. Its totally real to all the players.

That said, yeah, its quite a good test.

• jjyank says:

True, I know the players themselves like defined roles and place weight on the inning number. I do think pitching a clean inning in a two run game in the 8th isn’t so different than a two run lead in a clean 9th inning. But regardless of that, this is a save opportunity against a division rival. I would love nothing more than D-Rob being the next long term Yankee closer.

293. willx says:

I’m not ok with that entrance song, he needs a new one. What about Godsmack “The enemy ” ???

294. Tony says:

I really dislike Will Rhymes for some unknown reason

295. chcmh says:

The drob era is grey hair inducing

296. Kramerica Industries says:

DRob making things interesting.

Of course the Rays would figure to be a pain in the ass.

And Brandon Allen to the plate.

Fucking Rays.

297. Greg says:

John Wetteland 2.0

298. Karl Krawfid says:

Would be nice to see a Curve on a hitter like Sean Rodriguez.

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

But he’s such a dangerous, powerful hitter. Why else would he have been IBB’d in the first inning of the season?

299. Kramerica Industries says:

Rays have won four games this season where they trailed in the 9th inning or later.

A fifth would make me sick.

Don’t let it happen.

300. handtius says:

when was the last time robertson gave up a homerun?

• Kramerica Industries says:

Oh oh, I know this one!

J.J. Hardy last August. Pretty sure the only homer he allowed in 2011.

301. Leg-End says:

Sit your arse down Brandon.

302. Havok9120 says:

Man….he missed where Russ wanted it, which was probably what he was aiming for. But that was a very nice pitch anyway.

303. Eirias says:

Robertson should enter to “Freaks Come Out at Night” by Whodini.

304. Karl Krawfid says:

We need Mo back :(

305. Erica says:

Shit shit shit shit shit

306. flamingo says:

D-Rob… come on…

307. RetroRob says:

Houdini moves to the 9th.

308. Manny's BanWagon says:

Who will be the first to say Robertson is no Mo?

309. Kramerica Industries says:

Come the fuck on DRob!

Carlos Pena to the plate. This will either end well or end horribly. Things tend to go that way with Pena.

310. chcmh says:

So, this is the way other baseball clubs live.

311. mike_h says:

damn…wheres my heart medication

312. Rick Bladt Attack says:

Aerosmith: “Walk This Way:”

313. handtius says:

he’s got this.

314. Tony says:

Robertson in just trolling us right now

315. Karl Krawfid says:

I gotta go pee!

316. Dan in Atlanta says:

DRob is going to give me a heart attack before the all star break, let alone the end of the year.

317. willx says:

nm i didn’t know papsmear already had the enemy.

318. Erica says:

YES YES YES YES YES YES OH YES

319. flamingo says:

The Houdini High Wire Act.

Just the way he likes it.

320. chcmh says:

oh man. phew. drob …..wow.

321. Greg says:

Houdini strikes again!

322. handtius says:

no fear.

323. Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

That was such a DRob type inning.

324. Hummingbird S. says:

they cant all be like this, but ill take it! great W

325. DERP says:

never in doubt

326. Havok9120 says:

I would like to point out….that that 0-2 curve in the dirt is probably the end of the game with Jorge back there.

Oh….and THAAAAAAAAA YAAAANNNNKKKEEEEEES WIN!

• flamingo says:

Well, for all we’d know, he’d have hit two home runs and it wouldn’t have been a save situation.

What can I say, I’d rather an offensive catcher.

327. mike_h says:

first save AM (After Mo), very cute Michael Kay

328. Kramerica Industries says:

Sit the fuck down Pena!

DRob walking the tight rope to the Yankees first win against Tampa Bay this season. Way too scary, Dave.

329. jjyank says:

Well it was interesting, but he pulled it off. Still no earned runs on the 2012 season for D-Rob.

330. BK2ATL says:

Robertson can’t be a closer. High pitch count.

#killnarrative

331. aRX says:

Was anyone even nervous? They probably simulate RISP in the bullpen just so he can warm up properly.

332. Mike Nitabach says:

Great game!!

333. ArchStanton says:

Robertson just isn’t happy and settled in until he loads the bases. Likes to up the ante a bit.

334. Leg-End says:

First night nerves and still passed the test.

335. Cy Pettitte says:

they’re gonna need a new manager for after Girardi has a heart attack

• RkyMtnYank says:

That’s not necessarily a bad thing. Not wishing anything bad on Joe but I would prefer a new manager.

336. RetroRob says:

Thank mo I had that tequila.

I’m sure Robertson was a little nervous. Can tell by his reaction at the end. Good it’s in the past now.

337. RkyMtnYank says:

That’s just the way D-Rob rolls, gonna give us all too many grey hairs but I think he’ll pretty much always get it done.

338. handtius says:

think he got his jitters. he’ll be fine from now on.

339. Ari Gold says:

I love Houdini. I wasn’t nervous so much as really excited. Robertson’s stuff has taken a step forward.

340. Tony says:

Its amazing how comfortable I can feel even when he loads the bases

341. Need Pitching says:

maybe a little help from the umpire, but I’ll take it

• Havok9120 says:

Yeah, that doesn’t surprise me at all. Those pitches weren’t strikes in the previous AB.

And this is me, not caring.

342. Rick Bladt Attack says:

D-Rob just changed his entrance music to the old Alka Seltzer jingle.

343. Kruk That Noise says:

As much as it seemed Jim Joyce had a tight zone all night, he came through when it mattered most.

There were no strikes thrown during Pena’s AB according to Pitch F/X:

344. Clyde Barrow says:

Great game. This is the time to beat these guys, at home with their best player injured. We’ve got a chance tomorrow and our ace on the mound Thursday. We should be able to take the series. The Os are having their own problems with Texas.

345. Havok9120 says:

I would like to point out after all the Martin bashing….that that 0-2 curve in the dirt is probably the end of the game with Jorge back there. Or Monty. Or most a lot of catchers who are average-good on D.

• RkyMtnYank says:

Greg is the only one blaming everything on Martin. The rest of us, as far as I’ve read, are correctly evaluating the plays which agree with the official scoring.

346. BK2ATL says:

Don’t look now, but we’re only 2.5 games behind Baltimore and Tampa. If we do what we’re supposed to and win this series or even sweep, and Texas keeps pounding the O’s, well we’re a shade away from #1 in the AL East.

Keep it up fellas.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

But I thought we were a 4th place team with no hope of winning thanks to a shitty offense, poor starting, and a depleted bullpen?

How can we be both? You obviously don’t place enough faith in small sample sizes.

347. Robinson Tilapia says:

SuperNova!

Spent the last thread arguing as to how I view him better than his awful peripherals, and he goes and throws a no-doubter like this. Seemed like the rain affected him quite a bit, but this guy knows how to get out of trouble.

Oh, D-Rob, please make it easier as it goes along.