May

Late rally falls short in loss to Reds

Source: FanGraphs

The Yankees continue to be plagued by the same ol’ problems — underwhelming starting pitching and a lack of hitting with men on base — but they had the tying run on third and the winning run on second in the bottom of the ninth against the Reds on Saturday. They were thisclose. Let’s recap…

• Nova’s Dozen: The good news is that Ivan Nova struck out a career-high 12. The bad news is that he allowed five runs in six innings, including a three-run bomb by Joey Votto that essentially put the game away. Nova’s right ankle/foot seemed to be fine but he’s still not right. He again made several mistakes up in the zone but did a good job burying his breaking balls for swinging strikes — he had 23 swings and misses on the afternoon. Ivan still needs to find a balance between all these strikeouts (good!) and extra-base hits allowed (bad!).
  • Chip Away: The Yankees were playing from behind all afternoon, but they slowly chipped away at Cincinnati’s lead with a solo homer from Russell Martin, a run-scoring double from Raul Ibanez, and a solo homer from Jayson Nix before putting together an almost game-tying rally in the ninth. They went hitless with runners in scoring position until that ninth inning.
  • Almost: After getting blown away by Aroldis Chapman in the eighth — he went to a 3-1 count on all three batters, but they all made outs — the Yankees put something together against Sean Marshall. Ibanez (double off a lefty!) and Swisher started the inning with hits then Andruw Jones and Nix did the same after Martin’s strikeout. Derek Jeter came to the plate with the Yankees down a run and he tried his hardest to ground into a double play on the first pitch, but he beat the relay at first. Curtis Granderson managed to turn a 3-0 count into a 3-2 count before grounding out to end the game. I’ll never understand why they turned him loose on 3-0, but whatever. Take the walk and let Robbie Cano bat with the bases juiced. They had a chance to tie but couldn’t get that last run in.
  • Leftovers: David Phelps allowed what ultimately proved to be the winning run when he made a great diving catch and immediately threw the ball away trying to double the runner off first … Ibanez (two), Swisher (two), and Nix (three!) had multiple hits while the 2-3-4 hitters went 0-for-12 with a walk.

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs the nerd score, and ESPN the updated standings. Call me crazy, but I feel like the Yankees are on the verge of something big. I feel an offensive explosion coming on, and I hope it happens when I’m in attendance tomorrow. Aces CC Sabathia and Johnny Cueto square off in Sunday’s rubber game.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Rainbow connection says:

“Chip Away: The Yankees were playing from behind all afternoon, but they slowly chipped away at Cincinnati’s lead with a solo homer from Russell Martin, a run-scoring double from Raul Ibanez, and a solo homer from Jayson Nix before putting ”

What’s that?
    What’s that?

2. DannyC says:

So frustrating watching this team, it seems like girardi is more concerned with making his players happy than what is best for the team. I would love to see granderson hit 4th, guy hits 41 homeruns last year and he bats second. Tex needs to hit 6 or 7 when he gets back. Its a long season but its getting lats early

• Knoxvillain says:

Jeter
      Swisher
      Granderson
      Cano
      A-Rod
      Ibanez
      Tex
      Martin
      Gardner/Jones/rotating DH/etc

• Jesse says:

I would construct the lineup like this:

SS. Jeter
      3B. Rodriguez
      2B. Cano
      CF. Granderson (Don’t really mind if he bats 3rd or 4th)
      RF. Swisher
      1B. Teixeira
      DH. Ibanez (Jones vs LHP)
      C. Martin
      LF. Wise/Nix, Gardy when he comes back.

3. mustang says:

“Ivan still needs to find a balance between all these strikeouts (good!) and extra-base hits allowed (bad!).”

Why is it when I read this line I felt like I just open up to first page of “Baseball For Dummies”?

BTW Joe Morgan is a co-writer on “Baseball For Dummies” which I find equally as funny as this line.

4. DannyC says:

So frustrating watching this team, it seems like girardi is more concerned with making his players happy than what is best for the team. I would love to see granderson hit 4th, guy hits 41 homeruns last year and he bats second. Tex needs to hit 6 or 7 when he gets back. Its a long season but its getting late early

5. DT says:

Grandy’s 3-0 pitch was right down the middle. it would have been called a strike regardless

• Brian S. says:

The next two he swung at were balls.

• DT says:

Second one was bad, the third one was borderline pitch according to pitch FX. Like it literally was on the border of the strike zone so he had to protect.

• Steve (different one) says:

What does that have to do anything? The comment was directed at Mike’s complaint about letting him swing 3-0. The 3-0 was a strike. Anything past that point is on Granderson.

6. Knoxvillain says:

Yanks are so irritating to watch this year. They are a much better team than this all around. They should have 25 wins at least right now. I hope they come around soon.

• Kevin says:

Yanks are the only ones in the same boat right now. It truly is amazing to see how many teams that were supposed to be good look flat out awful right now.

7. Brian S. says:

To be fair to Nova, one of the ‘doubles’ he gave up was due to Ibanez misplaying a ball in right field. And the three run home run was after a ground ball found a hole and a bunt single. I thought he pitched way better than his line suggests.

8. Cuso says:

You know what’s really frustrating? They’re going to waste 15 runs tomorrow on a CC start. They’re going to win 15-0 and everything is going to feel dandy then lose the next game 2-1.

But at least our runs/game avg. will still look good.

(Rolls eyes)

• Steve (different one) says:

15 runs off one of the best pitchers in the league this year wouldn’t be frustrating at all.

I think it is more likely we are frustrated because CC throws a gem and they lose 2-0.

9. M&M Boys says:

The Yankees haven’t hit in the clutch with any consistency since 2009. It’s been the same story for three years now. Matsui (WS MVP)and Damon were the two best clutch hitters on the last championship team. And they were both let go. Cashman’s notion that there was nothing wrong with the offense coming into this season was ridiculous.

• RI$P FTW says:

Not sure if serious.

• Lord Snow says:

Sounds serious enough to me. Not all players are created equally. There is certainly something to be said for those who possess the clutch gene.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Not sure if just about anything in this thread is serious.

• Steve (different one) says:

What does this have to do with 2012? Cashman couldn’t resign the 2009 versions of Damon and Matsui. Those guys are long gone. Damon didn’t even hit in “the clutch” LAST year. Let it go, it’s been 3 years. This is like blaming Cashman because Paul Oneill is gone.

10. Pat D says:

Well, today could have been a worse day for me.

It’s not like my favorite TV show had its creator fired which makes me pretty sure said show will be completely different and totally horrible.

Oh, wait, that did happen. Fuck you, Sony and NBC.

• Lord Snow says:

Community will be fine. Harmon is a dick and he deserved what he got. I love Community and, for some reason, I don’t think the content will be too terribly affected. Show-runners come and go. Some are left in the dust while others maintain the same level of excellence that made them shine in the first. Cool, cool, cool.

• Lord Snow says:

first *place*

• Pat D says:

No, I think the show is being set up for cancellation pretty quick. The move to Fridays behind that horrible Whitney show is the first problem. Just as I was talking myself into it being a good thing, they fired Harmon.

If you don’t think the content and/or quality will be too terribly affected, I give you Seinfeld post-Larry David and The West Wing post-Aaron Sorkin. Both shows kinda sucked after being the best on TV.

• Rainbow connection says:

Community is terrible.

11. V says:

Do the Yankees do PFP? How many costly throwing errors have they had so far?

• forensic says:

Yeah, their pitchers seem to be pretty terrible fielders, but not necessarily from errors. They’re middle of the pack among AL teams in pitcher errors. But, they are dead last in assists and total chances, and 2nd to last in put-outs. There are a ton of variables that go into that, but it’s not good to be at the bottom in those no matter what.

While on the subject though, the Orioles are nearly 20 assists ahead of any other AL team. What are they doing that no one else is???

• JayJay says:

Do they have a 1B who never runs to the bag after fielding a groundball, instead always insisting the pitcher cover 1st, ala’ Bill Buckner (per Bill James in the New Historical Abstract)?

• Pat D says:

I remember that comment, as I have that wonderful book. I really couldn’t believe that, but Buckner did have well-documented ankle problems.

• Steve (different one) says:

Teixeira almost always takes it to the bag himself. I would imagine this drives the put outs.

12. Bavarian Yankee says:

tbh I thought Nova was brilliant. He made one big mistake (3 run homer) but most of the other hits were just unlucky, just finding the hole or weak infield singles.

13. Manny's BanWagon says:

The Reds are morons for not starting Chapman. His stuff is just electric and they shoud be grooming him as a starter where he can be elite.

14. Robinson Tilapia says:

Like I said before, didn’t see the game. I found Axisa’s write-up here to be a well-rounded look at what Nova, in fact, did. I also heard about his post-game comments as to his being more successful as a groundball pitcher than a strikeout pitcher. Makes me feel a hell of a lot more confident that he’s close to figuring you where he went astray so far. He still hasn’t been through an entire season as a big league starter. These things are going to happen. Frankly, the problem is more that we’re counting on him to be the second pillar of the rotation behind CC at this point than it is Nova himself.

• RkyMtnYank says:

I think this was well said. Nova will figure out the happy medium between strikeouts and ground balls when he needs them as more time progresses. It’s nice to see the K’s increase since that is what most people were on him for last year but if more people were doing their job this would not be as much of an issue. It’s only an issue because Yankee fans have no patience to let a pitcher develop despite all the complaining about the organization never developing any pitchers!

15. Jose M. Vazquez.. says:

The season is still too young to call a winner in the AL East. The Yanks look lifeless and too much like the teams that were eliminated in the first round the last two years. When your whole nucleus is getting old all at once and you have no young position players ready to contribute, it makes the panorama that much woeful. I am sure the Doctors have looked at all aspects of Mark Texeira’s cough, but when I was practicing, any cough that lasted over two weeks usually turned out to be Whooping cough, barring asthma, pneumonia or a chronic bronchial condition. The treatment for Pertussis is simple.

16. Kosmo says:

I really don´t know what to make of Nova SP but in fairness to him he didn´t really start to pick it up in 2011 until June. Sometimes I think he´s really just the rule 5 pick the Padres cast back to NY. Patience Kosmo.

17. OMG! Bagels! says:

No come back wins without pie. Get AJ back!

18. DJ4K&Monterowasdinero says:

Give credit to Votto. He is an elite hitter and the 2 strike inside slider was not a bad pitch. Very few hitters could hit it out and, as it was, Votto’s shot just cleared the wall.

Still like Nova alot.

• RkyMtnYank says:

Agree, just because he hit a home run does not mean that the pitch is always a mistake. He got a way with several other mistakes but I look forward to when he puts the K and groundball combo together, should be fun to watch as long as he doesn’t get demoted. Nova is still my favorite pitcher to watch on this team other than Andy now.

19. Kevin says:

One also has to note that at worst,that homerun would have been a double in most other parks. I know it helps us too but I strongly dislike the short right porch.