May

Update: Nunez makes two errors in third Triple-A game

8:40pm: Via Collins, Nunez left the game with a sore thumb. It’s not expected to be a major issue, which is good news.

5:30pm: In his third game for Triple-A Empire State since being send down late last week, Eduardo Nunez made a pair of errors this afternoon. According to Donnie Collins, the first was just a botched routine grounder and the second a missed catch at second base on a stolen base attempt. Nunez has played shortstop all three games and for whatever reason, he was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the eighth inning today.

The Yankees sent Nunez down with hopes that playing regularly will improve his defense, but obviously that’s a process that will take more than three games. I’m worried about his confidence more than anything, and Collins said it appears Nunez is playing as if he’s afraid to make a mistake. I got a similar vibe watching him with the big league team in recent weeks, and again, I hope he doesn’t lose all confidence and develop the yips or something. That would suck. Hopefully he didn’t leave the game with an injury and can get back out there tomorrow to keep working.

Categories : Asides, Defense, Minors

1. SMK says:

Only two errors? That’s a pretty good game for Nuney.

2. John says:

It appears no matter how bad Nuney does, everyone insists he’s a potential Gold Glover, I just didn’t know the gave out Gold Gloves to bad fielder

• Steve (different one) says:

Thats not what people say, they say he looks like he literally has a glove made of solid gold. Slight difference.

• V says:

This is what we call “making shit up”.

I don’t know anyone who thinks he’ll ever be above-average with the glove. But his bat will likely develop into ‘solid major league shortstop’ (really, there are a lot of -bad- hitting shortstops).

• OldYanksFan says:

Really…. Jeter is not the best fielder, but his bat more then makes up for it.

Nunez does have the yips. You can all but see the shit stains in his pants whenever the ball comes his way. I believe the Yanks expected at least average D from him, and an above average bat,

That;s obviously not what we’ve seen, but the potentail is there. Not for a Gold Glove, but at least one that’s not lead.

• eephus_pitch says:

I think the problem is that he’d have to hit like a first baseman to make up for the defensive deficiencies.

• Ted Nelson says:

Who insisted that?

And… they do give Gold Gloves to bad fielders regularly. Just ask Derek Jeter. It’s a popularity context that’s probably more correlated to offensive production than defensive production.

• David Ortizs Dealer says:

He could fight big Crapi for the Gold Glove at DH

3. Manny's BanWagon says:

He seems to have the skills to be at least an average defender with good range, decent hands and a strong arm and you’d think with hard work, there is no reason he couldn’t improve but if it gets to the point where it’s inside his head, all bets are off.

4. Knoxvillain says:

Good. Hopefully he stays down there forever. I have an irrational but somewhat rational hate of Nunez. He brings nothing but speed to the table but that doesn’t matter if you can’t get on base.

Nunez sucks. Every time I fucking see him I picture Cliff Lee.

• Guest says:

I really don’t see the point of a Yankee fan rooting against a Yankee player.

Aren’t we as fans all better of if each Yankee player performs to the highest level possible? If he a player doesn’t have a future on the Yanks, then he at least increases his trade value.

• Knoxvillain says:

I don’t really root against him. I just hate him. If he’s up I don’t want him to make errors or not get on base. But he does both of those because that’s the player he is. Nunez sucks all around. He has no value because he’ll never be anything. He is just a hyped up Ramiro Pena with a worse glove but better speed.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Meh. I think the vitrol was a bit too much, but I think our favorite teams sometimes have guys which individually rub us the wrong way. I don’t like Soriano. It is what it is. I’m not going to root for the guy to get hit by a bus, but I’m just not a fan.

• Mike Axisa says:

There’s a difference between disliking a player and rooting against them. We all dislike certain players but I think we all want them to succeed while wearing pinstripes.

There’s 25 guys on the roster at any given moment, some are bound to rub you the wrong away.

• Guest says:

Good point. I may have jumped the gun a bit there. Very possible to dislike a player and root for them to succeed. But if you’re rooting for Nunez to stay in the minors for ever, aren’t you essentially rooting for him to not straighten out his issues? And if he never fixes his fielding yips, he’s of far reduced value to the Yanks as either a player or trade bait.

• jsbrendog says:

you mean cliff lee who prob wouldve gone to philly any way like he did for less money and then the yanks would be without montero or campos or pineda regardless of what you think of that trade?

• Knoxvillain says:

Nope, I think Cliff Lee would have stayed in New York if they made that trade.

• jsbrendog says:

you dont really have a leg to stand on since he took less $ to sign with philly

• Guest says:

Based on….?

By all accounts, he loved the Rangers and they showed him a lot of love/green. He had success with the Rangers.

But he loved Philly more. His wife loved Philly more (it never ceases to amaze me how fans discount the impact of personal issues on where players choose to live and work). He wanted to go back there from the beginning. And he turned down richer offers from both the Yanks and Rangers in order to do so.

Hard for me to see him not ending up in Philly.

• Knoxvillain says:

Maybe or maybe not. But the Yankees would have won the World Series in 2010 if they gave away their Golden Boy.

• jsbrendog says:

because the cards were the best team last yr? or anytime they won it? sorry, saying it wouldve happened doesnt make it true

• Mike Axisa says:

They may have never made the playoffs if they got Lee. No one knows what would have happened.

• I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

Exactly. But this is the same reason we cannot discount completely the idea that had he (and his wife…) spent a half season here, he would’ve learned that in fact it’s the best organization in the best city in the world. And then, you know, might’ve wanted to sign here long term.

Not saying that that’s what would’ve happened, but to look to what actually happened as rationale for dismissing the notion gets it completely backward.

5. Guest says:

Amazing how the human mind works. How much better off would we all be if we could only think about literally the task at hand, without the self-defeating thoughts of (1) past failures in similar situations, or (2) fear of future consequences for a new failure.

I guess I’d be a pretty rich man if I could figure out how to do this/teach people how to do it.

I guess that’s what makes Mo and Captain Jetes so special. They seem to be able to approach the next pitch like nothing has ever happened before and nothing will happen afterwards. So simple, yet so hard.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d love to see Nunez turn it around. He has the bat to be a regular and can often make the plays just fine. Whatever the hell it is, I hope he figures it out.

• jsbrendog says:

with ya but hughes has a better chance to be the ace he was supposed to be than nunez not making errors in my opinion

• Knoxvillain says:

I have a better chance at being the Yankees’ ace than Nunez playing major league quality defense.

• jsbrendog says:

yeah, no, there you go aga with saying things that just aren’t true, although there is mroe of a chance of the 10 yanks with lee winning the ws than this ever happening

• Midland TX says:

Having a childish and irrational grudge based on faulty assumptions is your right, and kudos for owning up to it, but it doesn’t mean you have to keep hitting us over the head with it constantly.

I can’t believe the expectations some people have for youngsters in backup roles making league minimum.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

None of us can speak to what his issue is, or what adjustment he would have to make to do so.

It’s fine to not like him. I get it, but you’re pulling this out of your ass right now.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

They both have a ton of time to become closer to whom we think they’re going to become. Hughes can suddenly have a breakout season at 30. It just won’t be in pinstripes. Our deadline on Hughes is more due to his FA status.

Yes, I realize most players don’t suddenly blossom at 30.

7. Voice of Reason says:

I mean hey, he’s an erratic defender and always has been. He was for years before he came to the majors, and he wasn’t gonna stop just because he’s playing in AAA again. This is what you’re gonna get.

8. LarryM.,Fl. says:

Come on Eduardo pick yourself up and have a better day tomorrow. Enough said by a Yankee fan.

9. Sansa says:

And just think, we didn’t get Cliff Lee because we didn’t want to give this clown away. Now we couldn’t give him away. It just makes you shake your head.

10. RetroRob says:

Nunez seemed to have a breakthrough season defensively in 2010, his last in AAA, making only fourteen errors overall, and just ten at SS. The other four came in very limited action at third and 2B, perhaps as the Yankees began toying with the idea of making him an all-utility player. If so, those four errors at third and second in very limited action compared to ten at short means he was already showing the high error rate that would plague him in the Majors when bounced between positions.

Nunez was always erractic, but seemed to have become a reliable defender at short in 2010. Knowing his erractic past, the Yankees probably never should have tried making him a utility player. Be curious if he can ever get back to where he was in 2010 since part of his problem seems to be between the ears.

11. Dummies Playing With Balls (formerly Rainbow Connection) says:

Everyone’s being too harsh on him. He’s only been playing baseball his entire life.

12. Kulish says:

So, are we just going to forget that Seattle shopped the Yankees offer and got what they actually wanted? Do you really think they wouldnt have done the same thing even if the Yankees added Nunez to the deal?

Or are we just going to throw logic and common sense out the window?