May

The Mariano Rivera Fact Sheet

Forgive the self-promotion, but I wrote this FanGraphs post about Mariano Rivera today. It’s basically just a list of facts about the greatest reliever ever, most of them weird and interesting and not the typical banter. At least I hope so. Check it out.

Categories : Asides

1. jjyank says:

Wow that was awesome, good work Mike. I especially liked the last sentence.

“Mariano Rivera has faced nearly 5,000 batters during a mostly offensive era while playing his home games in a hitter’s ballpark in a tough division, and he’s turned them all into 2011 Brandon Inge.”

Pure gold. I miss Mo.

2. the English Ingenue says:

Thanks Mike
    Next Saturday I will watch my first ever major league game, having followed the Yankees from over the ocean since 2004. More than anything I wanted to see the great Rivera come out at Yankee Stadium and close a game, but it wasn’t to be, i’ve been crestfallen about that since Mo got hurt, looks like I’ll have to find a way to get back in 2013.

• G says:

Everyone must see Mo. Sir, if I happen to win the lottery in the meantime, I will personally fly you out and take you to games until he has an appearance.

That’s how important it is to me that everyone gets a chance to see him.

3. CS Yankee says:

Read it earlier in the day…good stuff.

No (or very little) doubt he returns and is solid in 2013. Hope he gets in the family time this year and wants to pitch for a few more years.

4. Tyrone Sharpton says:

beautiful, beautiful article MAx

5. Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

My mind = blown.

6. Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

To ask what is probably a stupid question, he’s a first balloter, right?

• vin says:

Definitely. I’m guessing he’ll probably be in the mid 80 percent range.

• flamingo says:

I can’t wait to hear the excuses of the people who don’t vote for him.

• RetroRob says:

No one will give excuses since voting results are not released. BBWAA members would need to self-identify and I doubt anyone will step forward.

There are two types of voters who will keep Mo from 100%. There are some members who probably don’t believe a closer can provide enough value to be voted into the HOF. I don’t agree with that, but I understand the line of thinking. More problematic are those who don’t believe any player should get 100% of the vote because of all the greats before who never received 100 percent, so when a new player comes on the ballot who is a slam dunk, they will withhold their vote to guarantee the player doesn’t get 100%. That will happen with Mo.

• flamingo says:

You’re right – I mixed it up with MVP voting for some reason. My bad.

Your second point is the angle that most infuriates me.

7. Havok9120 says:

Very good article. I enjoyed those stats.

8. Dale Mohorcic says:

Didn’t Scutaro hit 2 homers against Rivera?

9. Monterowasdinero says:

So if Andy is good and Raul is bad, could we possibly see the return of the core 4 in 2013?

10. herby says:

Excellent photos of Mo from his last game this year against Baltimore
    Courtesy of Dez Santana Photography