May

Tuesday Night Open Thread

Quit complainin'. (REUTERS/Alex Gallardo)

Only two more late-night West Coast games before the Yankees get back to playing at normal times. There’s nothing worse than staying up late for a game only to watch them lose, especially in walk-off fashion like last night. Tonight’s game doesn’t start until 10pm ET, so hang out here until the regular game thread comes along in a few hours. The Mets are playing the Phillies (Blanton vs. Hefner) and ESPN is airing the Tigers at the Reds Sox (Verlander vs. Bard). There’s also some NBA playoff action going on a little later. Talk about whatever, go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Pat D says:

I love it when stories like these don’t go away.

2. DERP says:

I want to punch Adam Jones in the face.

3. DERP says:

6 runs in the first for Charleston. Mason made two of the outs unfortunately.

4. Bo Knows says:

haha Detroit’s Defense, feel bad for Verlander though

5. DM says:

Russell Branyan lives in Tampa! He must be getting ready for Ibanez’s imminent release.

6. DM says:

Yep. Here’s a surprise — a strike out and a walk already. He just needs another K and long HR and he’ll be ready.

7. Matt Montero says:

Did anyone read the article from yankeeanalyst a few days ago about the possibility of Luc Giolito falling to the Yankees? What do you guys think about it? Would you go over budget and maybe lose picks if you could pick him? His injury wasn’t expect to be a concern in the long-term and he was a top two pick before the injury. Even if he needed something like Tommy John surgery, he would still have plenty of time to develop (unlike Brackman who was out of college).

8. Bo Knows says:

Question time

Who currently on the Riverdogs do you think will finish the year in High A Tampa?

• DM says:

For a significant stint or just a cup of coffee near season’s end?

• jjyank says:

Sanchez is the easy bet, rigiht? He’s repeating the level.

• DM says:

I’m not sure they’ll have Murphy and Sanchez on the same team for any length of time — both need to catch. But I suspect Williams and Austin will be promoted.

• jjyank says:

They did it with Romine and Montero for a while.

• DM says:

Yeah, I know. I’m just speculating that since both are projects on defense, neither should sit. It’s easier to do it with Romine b/c he was legit catcher. I was hoping Murphy would’ve played well enough to get bumped to AA — but that doesn’t look good any longer.

• jjyank says:

I’m not saying that I want it to happen, but I can see the value in continuing to challenge Sanchez’s bat at the expense of a temporary delay in defensive repetition.

Maybe we’ll get lucky and Murphy will start to tear it up and get promoted to Trenton.

9. Michael says:

Going to the game tonight. Hopefully Andy nets us a better result than last night. Angel fans are uninformed and insufferable. They need a dancing monkey to tell them when to cheer.

10. Betty Lizard says:

Seeing Russell Martin hit last night made my day/week/month. Especially as he is my this-season’s Baseball Boyfriend.

And Swisher and Granderson did NOT get hurt–

–and my seasonal goal of seeing the Yankees in “a” playoff game is achievable, so my fandom is Ina pretty mellow state, in spite of all the injuries.

Except for one problem. I don’t like Phil Hughes. Don’t get me wrong–I understand his history, his strengths and weaknesses, his relative youth, the dangers of SSS, et al. But I don’t like him any more and that disturbs me because I’m a loyal fan. He’s joined what is blessedly a very short list of Yankees I can’t stand. I’m afraid it’s now at the point where I’ll hate him no matter how he pitches. Sad, really, but there you have it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think that, unless you were invested from the early days, when he was THE prospect, he can actually be not very likable. There really is something about his presentation, and you’re either extremely patient with his performance or you write him off. This is why we have both a set of fans who will find reasons to root for him, no matter what (myself included), as well as people who want him non-tendered, like, yesterday.

• Betty Lizard says:

Good point about the non-investment in him (by me).

I shall have to try to find some equanimity when he pitches as an alternative to blasting profanity throughout the neighborhood.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

….and now you sort-of get why some of us continue to hold out faint hope for him.

• Betty Lizard says:

Sadly, my “but this time he’ll be good” supply was almost exhausted with AJ Burnett, whom I “liked”.

I’ll have to dig deep . . . .

• MannyGeee says:

Ok, morbid curiosity is killing me… Who are the other Yankees on that short list that you cannot stand?

11. Mike Axisa says:

Justin Verlander having one of those off-nights true aces never have.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s an off-night when someone other than CC has one. When it’s CC, it’s absolute proof Cashman failed.

12. mustang says:

Came cross an article on Ted Lilly who is on the DL with a shoulder injury and at his age this might be the end.
    Some facts on Mr. Lilly:

1-After being trade on 7/5/02 for Jeff Weaver he has gone on to 122-98 with a 4.03 ERA that’s the 12th most wins in that time sandwiched between Pettitte and Javier Vasquez.

2-After passing on Lilly (40 million+ luxury tax) for Kei Igawa (46 million – luxury tax) he has thrown 1,023 innings, 17th most in the majors while going 71-53 with a 3.71 ERA.

Although I have no problems forgiving the first one the second one has been Cashman’s dumbest mistake IMO.

• Mike Axisa says:

Lilly’s always been overrated because he’s a former Yankee. 3.71 ERA in the NL after 2006? What’s that in the AL East, 4.50?

• mustang says:

Happy you answer because I remember having this discussion with you and Ben at the time of the lgawa/Lilly situation.

If I remember correctly the free agent pitching market was very weak that year and the Yankees needed pitching. It came down to Lilly a MLB experience pitcher with at least a .500 record in the AL East or an unknown Igawa with no experience that many scouts had as 4th starter at best.

To me it was no brainer, but you and Ben thought Cashman made the right choice at the time.

In the end a 4.50 ERA at 40 million + is better then 46 million for 2-4 in 16 games with a 6.66 ERA

• mustang says:

I also remember during number 2 Mr. Lilly being dissed by RAB although I never understood why.

13. dkidd says:

it’s going to suck if hideki contributes in tampa bay

14. jon says:

how many player on the red sox are playing way over their heads?

salty
    middlebrooks
    nava
    sweeney
    ross
    shoppach

at some point reality has to set in for those guys right?

15. Erica says:

It’s raining here in Jersey.

Is tonight’s game on My9?

16. mt says:

On other hand, Crawford, Ellsbury, Bailey and Youklis improvement may pick up slack as those guys named above cool off even if Daisuke gives nothing.

17. Kevin says:

Not worried about Boston. The problems that led to them falling apart in September haven’t gone away.
    Speaking of teams that are unbeatable,one of Texas’s pitchers is having problems with Seattle.
    Which is impossible,all pitchers NOlan Ryan’s touches turn to gold.

18. Manny's BanWagon says:

Mike, How would you rank the following starting pitchers in fantasy for the rest of the season, James McDonald, Mat Latos and Matt Garza?

19. Reggie C. says:

Halladay might not see a ML mound for 6 weeks!! Wow.

That’s just alittle more headwind pointing towards a sell-off at the deadline. I just dont see how that squad is playing .500 ball by then.

CANT WAIT FOR TEH HAMMELLS!!

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I hope they dont’t have a sell off. I’d much rather get Hamels as a FA next year then have to trade half the farm for him.

• Reggie C. says:

And i dont think there’s a talent in the farm on par with Montero in terms of likelihood of at least a modicum of ML success.

Hamels is going for a CC-like payday so if Cashman pulls off the trade, that’d be a clear sign that the team would be willing to pretty much outbid any team in baseball following the season. Sure the cost is heavy, but with no surefire impact prospects ready to bolster either the hitting side or starting side, I would go for Hamels right now.

Hamels is good enough that he’d be as good a bet as any to experience success in the AL right away. I think Hamels will quite enjoy the atmosphere here.