May

Yanks shut down by Arrieta, drop rubber game

Boy do the Yankees suck right now. Losing two games to the Orioles in the first half of the season is usually considered a disappointment, but two in one series? That’s rough.

(Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Too Much Nova

Did you know that coming into this start, hitters had tagged Ivan Nova for a .343/.378/.619 batting line 111 plate appearances? That’s unbelievably bad. I knew he was giving up lots of fly balls and extra-base hits in the early going, but good grief, I didn’t realize it was that bad. I haven’t done the math, but chances are those numbers climbed even higher following Wednesday’s game.

Now don’t get me wrong, Nova was actually really good for the first six innings, holding the Orioles to just two runs and executing big pitches in big spots to escape jams. The only problem is that he went back out for the seventh after laboring through the sixth with his pitch count nearing 100, and Baltimore promptly tagged him for three more runs. Matt Wieters took him deep for a solo homer earlier in the game before hitting another ball off the top of the wall to end Nova’s night. The final result was five runs and 13 baserunners in 6.1 IP, raising his ERA to 5.58.

Two runs isn’t a huge deal, the Yankees were by no means out of it at that point, but the game was over after those three tack-on runs in the seventh. The worst part is that I’m 100% certain Joe Girardi tried to squeeze another inning out of Nova just to see if they could extend his win streak, a streak that officially came to an end at 20 starts. I’m sure Ivan appreciates the gesture, but let’s not make a habit out of managing to stats or milestones, mmmkay?

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

LOLffense, Still

In three games against the Orioles at home, the Yankees scored a total of three runs. All three came on two homers — a two-run shot by Eric Chavez on Monday and a solo number by Curtis Granderson on Tuesday. Pretty much everyone other than Derek Jeter and Granderson is in some kind of slump, either recent or extended, though Alex Rodriguez did contribute two singles in this game. As a team, the Yankees struck out ten times against zero walks to bring their K/BB for the series to 32/4. Ugly.

The Yankees didn’t get a single hit with runners in scoring position tonight and you know why? Because they didn’t even get a runner past first base. Five singles and nothing more, they didn’t advance even one runner. They scored the two runs on Monday, the one run on Tuesday, and zero runs on Wednesday. I can only assume David Phelps will get -1 runs of support tomorrow. With all due respect to Jake Arrieta, who really did pitch a helluva game, this offense is pathetic right now. Seriously.

Leftovers

I’m willing to take at least some of the blame for the loss given my pre-game proclamation. At least the NY Rangers held up their end of the bargain.

Three days after being banished to the bullpen, Freddy Garcia resurfaced in this game with two scoreless innings in garbage time. He allowed a pair of hits and walk without striking out a single batter. Hard to see him being trusted in anything other than a blowout right now. Clay Rapada and Cory Wade both pitched as well, with the latter recording an out on the only pitch he threw. Hooray for efficiency.

On a serious note, Eric Chavez left the game with whiplash and a possible concussion after attempting to make a diving stop at the hot corner. He went for more tests after the game and will not travel with the team to Kansas City. Brandon Laird is the obvious call-up candidate when Chavez is placed on the DL tomorrow. Hopefully he’s okay, concussions are nothing to mess around with. Just ask Brian Roberts or Justin Morneau.

Box Score, WPA Graph & Standings

The game wasn’t nearly as close as the WPA graph suggests. MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs some other stats, and ESPN the updated standings.

Source: FanGraphs

Up Next

The Yankees are off to Middle America for a four-game series against the Royals, where right-hander David Phelps will make his first career start on Thursday night. He’ll be opposed by southpaw Danny Duffy.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Steve says:

Shouldn’t it be four runs for Nova? I was given to believe that inherited runners scoring don’t count. Or is that only for Hughes?

2. forensic says:

It’s unbelievable that with 700 pitchers in the bullpen, that Nova was left out there in the 7th. Maybe let him start it to face Markakis and Jones, but there’s absolutely no defense for leaving him in against Wieters who owns him and already ripped 2 balls in this game off him.

3. Stratman9652 says:

Laird is way too obvious of a choice. Corner IF who isn’t embarrassing in the OF. Better option in LF than Nunez. Unfortunately, my faith in the proper roster moves being made lately is pretty low.

4. dalelama says:

“passed first base.” He may have passed his test but they didn’t get past first base…

5. Grit Storage says:

They can’t keep the roster as it is now. DL Swish retro to whenever. DL Chavez. Cabral to the 60 DL. D. Wise selected. Laird called up.

• Kiko Jones says:

“Nothing else makes sense. Unless, that is, Joe really is serious about letting Mo live out his dream of play CF at some point this season.”

heh, heh

• Jobu says:

The Yankees have just announced the Mariano Rivera has retired mid-season.

In seperate news, the club has signed an outfielder by the name of M. Rivera. The club realeased the following statement:

“The Hammer of God now resides in right field. So let it be written, so let it be done.”

• sangreal says:

Honestly, I think its more important that we call up another arm for the bullpen

• Stratman9652 says:

Laird can play the OF in addition to the corner IF spots. You really don’t need both him and Wise. I would start Laird in LF over Nunez.

That being said, Laird will probably ride the pine while Nunez butchers whatever position he is put in. Really don’t understand the urge to play this guy as much as they do.

• Typical MIT Nerd says:

You know it’s bad when people are arguing for Gerald Laird’s lesser brother.

• Matt DiBari says:

At this point, I’m leaning towards spite. It gets lost because a) it would have been a hit anyway and b) it’s not like it effected the game, but its almost impressive how he somehow overran a ground ball and let him smack him in the arm in the ninth.

6. Who's Your Daddy? says:

Fried chicken and beer for everybody!

7. RetroRob says:

I guess I didn’t pick the best game to go to tonight. Usually against the Orioles it’s a high percentage win.

Hopefully Chavez is okay. It wasn’t too clear what had happened watching from the stands, but seeing the replay is more concerning since anything with his neck, spine and back is serious. I remember after his last back surgery some doctor recommended that he retire, saying that if he fell or dove for a ball the wrong way that he could end up paralyzed. Since it wasn’t his own doctor with the quote I didn’t take it too seriously, but I can never quite get it out of my head whenver I see him playing.

8. Typical MIT Nerd says:

Gotta say I love “LOLffense”. Then again I did call it. This team is the oldest in the sport. It has the real risk of getting older in a hurry. Their lineup is the worst of it. With Gardner hurt, their youngest hitter is Cano at 29. That’s every single hitter as past peak.

I fully expect the bats to heat up with the weather. But in a year where every game could mean the division or a first round one game playoff, every game means something.

Meanwhile, Jesus started back-to-back games at catcher…ooof.

9. Craig says:

If Martin continues to be a black-hole, does his starting job come into question? The yankees love him for his D, but his .150 average is really pathetic and really hasnt show much life at all.

• Typical MIT Nerd says:

Jesus Montero? 116 OPS+

His is going to be a very long career.

But at least the Yankees have a decent backup to rest Martin 3 times a week…

• Brian S. says:

I am so glad that Russ didn’t sign that extension. On a similar note, when does Mark Teixeira’s starting job come into question? Steve Pearce is likely a better hitter than him at this point.

• Need Pitching says:

umm,no

• Don'tcha Know? says:

You’re only so arrogant in your response because of the money that’s being thrown at him, but . . . while he doesn’t necessarily suck, full blown status, he’s certainly not earning his keep.

• Need Pitching says:

has nothing to do with the money he’s earning
            His slump numbers this year are about the same as Pearce’s career numbers. Pearce is most certainly not an upgrade.

And Tex most definitely is not earning his keep.

• Don'tcha Know? says:

I’m not saying anyone is better than Teixera. I mean, I know that Prince would’ve at least been an upgrade over him . . . but . . . no segue . . . Why is it always “Teixera’s slumping” and not, “this is who he is now”? I’ve just about had enough of these excuses for the guy. Maybe, I don’t know, light a fire under the guy’s ass. Let him know that his job is indeed in jeopardy. He was good, great even. Elite? Probably. The talent’s there. It has to be. It’s his GD job to dig deep and bring it back. While he’s not quite Black Hole Martin status, these “slumps” of his guarantee an automatic out at the plate. I don’t know what they could do, but maybe plug Swisher in at 1st base every few days and plant Tex’s ass on the bench. Make him cringe. Make him sweat. Let him know that he’s an overpaid wash-up, then, maybe, he’ll make a concerted effort to right the ship. Our middle of the order guys are as ugly as I’ve ever seen right now. Someone has to get going sooner or later before such drastic measures are taken. Meh. I’m . . . done with Teixera. It pains me to watch his ABs nowadays. Honestly, I think that this is FAR MORE of a rock bottom than Bobby V and the Sox were fledgling through. We have little answers available, whereas they still had a potent, if not the best, offense, and three super solid pitchers (normally). BLARGH!

• Need Pitching says:

” Why is it always “Teixera’s slumping” and not, “this is who he is now”?”

you really think Tex is a 233/278/378 now?
                extremely unlikely that he would crash that far that fast, he’s certainly not elite anymore, but surely he’s better than that

” maybe, he’ll make a concerted effort to right the ship”

because obviously he doesn’t give a damn and is not even trying at all, amirite?

Yankees, still have a potent offense, top 3 in the AL even, and who are the Sox 3 super solid pitchers you are referring to???????????

• Don'tcha Know? says:

Be my guest and take a wild guess. The third one’s a little tricky. I’ll give you that.

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

The Red Sox’s starters have been an on and off Lester, Beckett who is apparently hurt again, Laptop Thief has been terrible, Doubrant’s just been meh, and Bard is a converted reliever. The Yankees rotation may be bad, but Boston’s is worse. Plus, the Red Sox don’t have anyone like Phelps or Mitchell to come up in case of an injury or ineffectiveness.

• Jesse says:

But they do have future Hall of Famer Will Middlebrooks to save the day when the Youk is on the DL!

• forensic says:

Make fun all you want, but they got to dump one of the drags on their offense and can call up a guy who may actually have a good major league career. The Yankees lost one of the few guys who was actually hitting a little bit and will call up someone like Brandon Laird who has almost zero likely good major career.

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

True, but they make up for that by having 3 MLB ready pitchers and 2 that are very close. If a Red Sox starter had to be replaced, they suddenly have Aaron freaking Cook taking the ball every 5 days.

• forensic says:

3 major league ready arms that they made sure to sign 3 35+ year old pitchers, including one out of retirement and one whose numbers screamed regression, to try as hard as they could to make sure they wouldn’t make an appearance.

I don’t know anything about their minor league pitchers necessarily, but they do have several guys who are pitching well, which seems to be more than the Yankees can say since Warren just had a good one and Banuelos just had a half-good one after being hurt for weeks. And, I would possibly take Aaron Cook over Freddy Garcia, who just treated the Yankees to a month of beer league softball for the low price of $4 million dollars.

• MannyGeee says:

@JEsse: I know you’re only 1/2 joking about Middlebrooks, but that is eerily similar to the nutjobs I heard on WEEI on my ride home from work yesterday.

As bad as it looks for us now, the Sox are looking a metric shit-ton worse.

• TomH says:

These are two declining teams, and for that reason, I guess, it’s amusing to compare them to see which is “better.” But the real power in the AL is no longer in New York or Boston.

• Typical MIT Nerd says:

Exactly. It starts to become a legit question as Teixeira struggles to .850 OPS year after year. This year he could easily dip below an .825 OPS. At 1B, that’s at the bottom half in all of baseball.

• Jesse says:

And replace him with who…Chris Stewart? Francisco Cervelli?

10. Mike Axisa says:

I’m going to have to start closing the comments if you people can’t go one thread without talking about Montero. Do you still think about the girls that dumped you in high school too?

• Don'tcha Know? says:

No. They think about me.

• Typical MIT Nerd says:

That’s who I masturbate to! They are always nastier that way.

Honestly you may have to close the site. Montero is going to haunt this organization for the next decade. Hell, look what happened with Jay Buhner.

But point taken. You might as well add “Montero” to the spam filter.

• Pat D says:

Wait, guys are supposed to go out with girls? Guess I’ve been wasting my life watching sports and movies and playing video games. And still living at home at age 31.

Of course, that won’t be changing anytime soon with all the debt I have and what with getting laid off in 7 weeks.

Kids, don’t get credit cards. They are evil.

• forensic says:

You’re all high and mighty now, and yet one of your own authors wrote about him today in a post that was supposed to just be about assessing the Yankees first month?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Shitkicker Axisa returns!

• rek4gehrig says:

LOL

11. Kosmo says:

Nova´s WHIP is higher than Hughes 1.76 to 1.62. Teams are hitting .341 off Nova which just boggles my mind. Hughes .298.
    In each of Nova´s 2012 starts he´s given up more hits than IP.
    Hopefully he gets better as does the weather.

• DT says:

Nova is a ground ball guy, Hughes is a fly ball pitcher. Ground ball pitchers tend to have a higher BABIP.

• Need Pitching says:

not .421 high
        Nova also is giving up more line drives than Phil

• Mike Axisa says:

Nova hasn’t been a ground ball guy this year. 42.5% grounders coming into this game and only 8/7 GB/FB tonight. Last year he was well over 50%.

• Kosmo says:

Is it safe to say Nova is not fooling anyone right now ? If he doesn´t pick it up soon the Yanks will be scrambling around for SP pitching. NY cannot continue down this road of mediocre SP pitching performances and be expected to win games at a .600 clip.

12. The Moral Majority is Neither says:

Is this going to be a bridge year?

• Kosmo says:

Do you mean in terms of Geriatrics ? as in this team is to old to compete so let´s get a bridge game going ? or this is a bridge year meaning NY has to think about slipping into rebuild mode ?

Let´s wait to mid-June before we get too heavy handed in judging this team.

• jjyank says:

This. So many people are so quick to judge the team that had the best record in the AL last season. Sure, the team is another year older, but I refuse to believe the entire team will take that drastic of a dive in one year.

Every team in the history of sports looks old, or tired, or lazy, etc. when they’re losing. The Yankees will be fine in the end.

• TomH says:

Maybe. However, in my experience Yankee fans have a history of suffering from illusions during their glory days. I.e., they think it will never end. This was true in the 1960s and in the moment before that dip that preceded the 1990s comeback. But things can change quickly, in a year, as I never stop saying re 1965.

All teams do not look old and slow when they’re losing. Sometimes they just look bad, young, inexperienced, whatever. And sometimes when they’re losing they look old because they ARE old. And like certain people, unfortunately aging in sad ways, they may have “lucid moments.” Winning.

I’m not sure yet what to make of this team. Its pitching(sp) is lousy, of course. But yesterday it looked like Geezerville (I’m a geezer too) out there. Ain’t no quality position players in sight for some time. Minor league pitching: possibly less impressive than we’ve been led to believe.

Who cares that they were the winningest whatever last year. This is THIS year. Just hope it isn’t 1965 yet.

13. The Moral Majority is Neither says:

Pettitte coming back is looking too similar to Scholes unretirement for Manchester United. A feel good story that papers over severe organizational failures, but only briefly.

14. forensic says:

Kind of ironic, and terrible, that on the day a post is written about taking advantage of the weak schedule and Longoria’s injury, this game happens and Longoria’s replacement (at least for this game) had 2 hits.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Ironic, as long as the sample size stays small, I don’t care. 6-8 weeks is a long time.

15. DannyC says:

I have never felt so bad about a team in the jeter era, than this one. I cant believe how everyone aged all at once. Do u guys feel the same way? This is shaping up to be a bad year

• G says:

24 games in?

Get back to me in August. Gardner and Swisher are two huge contributors who can’t do anything right now and we’ve got quite a few guys who are going to improve.

May be hard to remember, but last year didn’t start off all that well. We had Carlyle and Sanit pitching from time to time.

• OldYanksFan says:

Aged? Jeter is having a great year. ARod is underperforming, but not by that much, maybe 50 OPS pts. Mo still seems pretty good. It is our young pitching, and NOT Old Cano and Teix that suck.

Look at the WS teams over the last 20 years, and tell me the average age. Quality teams are usually full of proven, high quality veterans.

This is baseball. Slumps and stinko periods happen.

Look at it this way….
      Teix’s OPS is 100 pts better than Pujols!!!!!!!!!!!
      That’s right… you heard it here first!

• jjyank says:

They’ll be fine. They had the best record in the AL last year, they won’t take that drastic of a dive. You actually felt better about last years team? Leaving hindsight out of it, you felt good about that rotation a year ago? I know I didn’t. They’ll be fine.

16. forensic says:

Yuck, that huge comeback against the Red Sox bullpen is currently the only thing keeping them out of last place and allowing them to avoid a negative run differential.

17. Bavarian Yankee says:

I thought Girardi pulled Nova too late. He pitched well through 6 and I would’ve pulled him after the homer to Markakis.

Other than that it sucks to be humiliated back to back by two of the worst starters you’ll find in the majors. Too bad the lineup is so bad right now that you can’t even make an argument to move Cano and Tex down in the lineup.

• Kosmo says:

I wouldn´t go so far as to call Arieta and Matusz as “two of the worst starters…“ these are two young pitchers who´ve been allowed some developmental time in the bigs. Will the Orioles fall back, probably, but they could play .500 ball this year, at least I´m not ruling that out.

• .zip file says:

The Orioles look like they’ve improved to me. And that’s without Brian Roberts in the line up. It will be interesting to see if it continues.

18. Dave M says:

“Boy do the Yankees suck right now.”

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Luckily, I had something good to read while watching last nights game. Otherwise, I couldn’t have gotten through it.

19. Monterowasnotdinero says:

We were/are lifeless. Old, slow, poor bat speed, hits in non-clutch situations. A rut.

Watching walkoff highlights of other teams…. seems so foreign to our team.

Would you rather be shut out in a lackluster effort against a crappy team or lose an exciting walkoff game after 4 hours?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Meh. This could still be so much worse, and it still wouldn’t even be that bad. They’re over .500 still, for God’s sake. They were under .500 in 2009.

Someone needs to drop some of these commenters smack in the middle of 1989.

• jjyank says:

This. Thought I was too young for 1989, the rest of your point stands. How many times in the last few years have the Yankees been under .500 in May, only to come back at at least take a wildcard, if not the division? Bridges are not your friend. Do not jump off of them.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

They would have been all wearing Met hats if they had to sit through a rotation with Greg Cadaret and Chuck Cary, I tell you.

20. Monterowasnotdinero says:

Chavez will retire.

Book it.

21. Clyde Barrow says:

They’re old, they’re slow and they’re just going through the motions. There’s no life in the team, except Jeter. The Stadium was dead and I don’t blame them because the team ain’t doing much to inspire. The starters really have to be on their games down. If they allow more than 2 or 3 runs the game might be over with the way this offense has given up.

• jjyank says:

Yes, slumps never come to an end. Might as well start the playoffs today, right? There’s no hope.

What does this comment even mean? There’s no life? They’re just going through the motions? How do you know what the players are doing? They’re slumping. That’s it. You can’t write the book on the 2012 Yankee offense in May.

22. chcmh says:

Things are rough right now, no doubt, but it is May 2nd. That was however one of the dearest games I’ve seen in a long, long time. The weather, the crowd, the players all drained of energy. It feels as if since Pineda went down management got the guts knocked out of them and is at loss as to what to do. There was a shot last night of the bullpen roster with a whole list of players available, and then bench roster, with one guy available. There it is is in a nutshell, our 2012 May Yankees. Nunez seems a willing kid, but it’s rough to see him every night mess in up another play at another position. Ibanez looks very overmatched in the outfield. Cano needs some serious bat therapy, A-rod looks happy to bunt, Tex looks focused and lost at the same time. The team is on the shoulders of Grandy and Jeter is Jeter, a miracle of Modern Yankeehood.

23. MannyGeee says:

As an aside, did anyone watch the game on ESPN last night and here Pedro Gomes talking about Cash sitting in w/ the Bleacher Creatures over the weekend? As the story goes, his 12 YO son wanted to sit in the Bleachers (apparantly he is a big ‘Bald Vinny’ fan) and Cash wore that goofy ‘visor with the highlights’ disguise.

He was worried to go down to the bleachers b/c he was worried he was gonna get a ration of shit over the Montero/Pineda issue… funny stuff

24. Robinson Tilapia says:

Not hitting Arrieta last night and having Nova out there for too long was pretty fire-extinguisher-threatening last night. It’s May. Oh, it could be so much worse.

• jjyank says:

I really hope that your home or office never catches on fire. It seems like you’ll run out of operational extinguishers soon.

25. Ross the Albatross says:

This is not going to be a great season. Too many holes, and seemingly no possible upside surprises to balance it out. I had high hopes that Pineda would have a good year, Hughes would rebound and be solid, Nova maybe have another solid year, and the team would be the frontrunner on account of pitching.

Now, it seems like pitching will be a problem all season. The bench is thin, and I’ll bet Chavez plays no more than 50 games all season, seeing what happened last night. Cano will get hot, but Teixeira looks like he’s sliding further off the lofty perch he held for his first 6-7 seasons, descending into Wally Joyner land. I’d say it’s 50-50 they make the playoffs….

26. OldYanksFan says:

As someone above pointed out, Chavez will retire. My guess is some kid or deadwood will fill in until Cashman can get someone who will help the team.

Pineda is done for the year.
    We were doing OK until both Gritner and Swish went down.
    Andy is coming soon and should help some (can he be worse than Phil (7.48), Freddie (10.91) or Nova (5.58)?)
    Will CC finish with a 4.58 ERA, having his WORST year?

Cano will NOT end the year with a .676 OPS!
    Teix will NOT end the year with a .636 OPS!
    Russ will NOT end the year with a .572 OPS!

Things really suck now (at 15% thru the season), but will get better.
    This team is far from done.

27. Bartolo's Colon says:

Girardi to phelps tonight: Hey phelpsy, you’ll be alright tonight, just keep the ball away from nunez, he likes to throw it away, hell, just keep the ball away from the entire left side of the infield. And under NO circumstances, let the ball go anywhere near RF. if you can do that you should be fine.

28. There, I Said It says:

It’s hard to feel anything but ambivalence about this yr’s team. Just bunch of vanilla players led by a bland manager and a staid front office.

The New York Mehs.

29. I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

It coulda been worse. You see AJ’s line last night? Wow.