Jun

Yankees place CC Sabathia placed on the DL

The Yankees have placed CC Sabathia on the DL after an MRI showed a Grade I strain of the left adductor. That’s a big muscle in his upper leg, near his hip and groin. Sabathia first felt a “twinge” during Sunday’s start against the Mets but did not say anything until after yesterday’s bullpen session. This will be just the third DL stint of his 12-year career — he missed 23 days in 2005 and 29 days in 2006, both with right oblique strains.

Joe Girardi said Sabathia will miss just two starts and return after the All-Star break. Freddy Garcia will start Friday in his place, though Brian Cashman said the team is leaning towards calling up Adam Warren from Triple-A. As our Bullpen Workload page shows, Warren started on Sunday and would lineup perfectly for Friday’s start if they want to go that way. No word on today’s roster move, they may just play with 24 guys this afternoon.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Mike Stanley says:

SEASON OVER OMG

• Bobby two knives says:

“Oh no, the sky is falling!” (sarcasm) “Chicken Little, is a folk tale with a moral in the form of a cumulative tale about a chicken who believes the world is coming to an end. The phrase The sky is falling! features prominently in the story, and has passed into the English language as a common idiom indicating a hysterical or mistaken belief that disaster is imminent.”

2. CBean says:

/COMMENCES PANICKINGOMG

3. Bartolo's Colon says:

wtf! i hope this is only for the 15 day minimum. i thought i was going to see him on friday, i just don’t see him pitch live

4. Leg-End says:

Don’t panic everyone, don’t panic………..PANIC!

5. Bartolo's Colon says:

so does this mean sweaty freddy gets some starts? this should be fun

6. Mike Stanley says:

Garcia Friday
    Girardi expects him to only miss 2 starts and return after the ASB

7. Bartolo's Colon says:

if he is only on there for 15 days, he would only miss 2 starts due to the all star break

8. pat says:

Leg is better than arm or shoulder.

• pat says:

An adductor (groin) strain is a common problem among many individuals who are physically active, especially in competitive sports. The most common sports that put athletes at risk for adductor strains are football, soccer, hockey, basketball, tennis, figure skating, baseball, horseback riding, karate, and softball.[1]

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Those adductor machines at the gym are always, um, fun to watch.

• Erica says:

Are those the ones where you have to sit and push your legs out?

I HATE that shit.

• Erica says:

Like, spread eagle action? It’s seriously the worst.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

We are definitely talking some spread eagle action.

Speaking of which….HAIR METAL MOMENT!

“I gotta wicked woman
              Woman got a vicious tongue
              Late at night I come home a little drunk
              And we go one on one

Sittin’ in the kitchen listenin’ to your bitchin’
              Every night of my life
              You made this home a combat zone
              You cut me like a knife
              Woman you’re tougher than leather
              You make it hard on me”

“Switchblade Serenade” by Spread Eagle, Erica. Look it up. One of my favorites.

• Erica says:

Hahaha! When I get home I’ll look it up, since these computers in this dungeon don’t have speakers.

AWESOME lyrics.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

As in the machine in which you develop a much closer personal relationship with the person on the machine directly facing you? Yes.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Stick to doing a zillion squats and lunges. They’re going to work every muscle in the leg just as well and, yes, no one will be staring directly at your crotch.

• jjyank says:

Where’s the fun in that?

• DM says:

But with squats your ass is being offered in rhythmic pulses to every one behind you.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

No, that’s the woman on the bike in front of you in spin class.

The gym I go to has pole dancing classes, which means about 30 women (and, sometimes, ONE guy) descend upon the gym in really short shorts and heels. After a while, they installed shades in the group fitness room because guys would just congregate outside and just stand there for an hour.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

And how do you propose stretching out for squats? Ab/aductors are great for stretching out that particular muscle, and firming your inner thighs, which is a problem area for far too many women. Other than that both muscles cramp up quite easily and need work on a regular basis.

Squats are also hell on your back, and realistically should be done no more than twice a week, at the absolute most. I guess you can do one massive 100 rep squat workout and that’ll give you a pretty good leg work out, but you’ll have trouble moving the next day.

• DM says:

“100 rep squat workout” sounds like some CrossFit WOD insanity. But you’re right, the traditional squat variation isn’t all encompassing, and can be challenging (form-wise) for those with long legs/torsos.

• Nathan says:

The gym I go to has these machines facing directly in front of the elliptical machines. It’s funny when you see a woman (90% of the time it’s a woman on the machine), all the guys on ellipticals try to play cool and sneak a few peeks.

9. Guest says:

No worries. Time for Ramon Ortiz to shine.

10. steve s says:

Sounds like the mildest of injuries and it’s not his arm or shoulder. No real worries here.

11. Nick says:

Looking on the bright side, should only miss 3 starts and who knows the rest may be great for him down the stretch and into the postseason.

Also, there are worse times to lose a SP, even an ace like CC, than when 4 games ahead, rotation looking good and offense hitting well.

Will now go and punish myself for not joining in with the general panic!

12. Cy Pettitte says:

as long as he misses only two starts it’s not a huge deal. He’ll rest for 3 weeks or so with the ASB and hopefully come back strong for the 2nd half.

13. Eddard says:

This is bad news. CC hasn’t been great so hopefully he’ll get better and come back even stronger. But now we’re left with either an AAA pitcher filling in or god forbid Freddy Garcia. Good thing all of the other pitchers have been doing so well.

14. Robinson Tilapia says:

Ruh-roh.

Cue all sorts of loose association posts as to weight, aceness, etc.

Get well, CC. We need you back and healthy as soon as can be.

15. Avi says:

If you told me CC had to go on the DL this sounds like the best possible injury to be the cause.

16. Frank says:

I’m betting this injury is another casualty of him having to bat last week during interleague play.

17. so what you’re saying is that the Yankees’ worst starting pitcher in June has gone on the DL…no sweat.

18. DM says:

Good thing we didn’t release Garcia.

19. Avi says:

I’d like to see Phelps get the starts. Is he stretched out enough for say 75 pitches?

20. Pat D says:

Pussyfeathers.

21. Slu says:

Blessing in disguise. I expect the time off to rejuvenate CC and he will be filthy in the second half.

22. Erica says:

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

23. the great Luis Polonia says:

Just stay Away from captain crunch without being able to run and exercise..that’s all I ask

24. pat says:

Perfect excuse to leave him off the postseason roster.

25. Will (the other one) says:

Well, crap.

That being said, the best possible outcome in my mind is that this gives Adam Warren one or two chances to try his hand against major-league competition. I don’t have anything against Garcia taking the starts if that’s what the team decides, but I’d much rather get a good look at Warren in a situation where, quite frankly, the Yankees have a little midseason room in the standings.

26. CountryClub says:

So he misses one game vs Chicago and another vs Tampa (he wouldn’t have pitched in Boston anyway). Not the end of the world. All star break comes at a perfect time.

27. DM says:

Copter in Ramiro Pena to play SS today and give Jeter a rest.

28. LongLiveJeter says:

I guess I’m not watching the game Friday… SMH I hate watching Freddy pitch, I would much rather they call up Warren and let him start.

29. Reggie C. says:

With Freddy Garcia returning to the rotation the lineup is going to need to keep alive “TOO MANY HOMERS?!ll!” meme.

30. DERP says:

Not an ace. Aces don’t go on the DL. I mean, has Roy Halladay ever been on the DL?

31. jjyank says:

*sigh of relief*

I saw the title of the post and freaked out for a second. Thank Mo it’s not shoulder or elbow. Get well soon CC, we’ll miss you!

32. Murderers' Row Boat says:

CC better not pull a Pavano again.

33. Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh look at that….updated to reflect that Warren’s being considered. Pleasantly surprised by that.

34. Nathan says:

I hope he picks up a box of Captain Crunch while he’s on the DL…he seems slightly better a little heavier.

35. MattG says:

My personal experience:

Adductor strains do not heal in two weeks.

Adductor strains are the sort of strain you can play through, if you are so inclined.

Hopefully they caught it so early that two weeks will really make a difference. If not, he’ll probably play in pain the rest of the season, but the performance might not necessarily show it.

36. sangreal says:

I think Freddy will be fine for two starts, but I’m happy its Friday and not the game I’m attending on Saturday

37. DERP says:

I’m more interested in who is getting kicked off the 40 man if Warren is called up. I’m guessing one of Antonelli, Thomas, or Igarashi. Any guesses?

38. Ethan says:

I really hate when athletes feel something “off” and don’t tell anyone. You’re getting paid millions of dollars to do your job, if you think something might be wrong SPEAK UP. Seems like a lot of injuries start off relatively minor, the player doesn’t say anything and the injury gets worse.

• MattG says:

Major league players are always sore. I am sure CC already gets treatment for everything that ails him every single day. Figuring out what ailment is not like the others can’t be easy.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yeah, I agree. The “millions of dollars” thing goes the other way too, meaning that these guys then want to go out there and play, if even not at 100%.

39. Kramerica Industries says:

Two starts is no big deal; this isn’t likely going to be an injury that will linger too badly or anything.

Was a little jarring to see “Sabathia” and “DL” in the headline on my first fore into the blog today, however.

40. DERP says:

I feel like if this was later in the season that he could have pitched through this. Am I totally off base here?

41. Freddy Garcia, ace of the staff.

42. PhillyMatt says:

Not sure if OT but will Yanks reshuffle rotation after all star break to Sabathia/Kuroda/Pettitte/Nova/Hughes or don’t fix what isn’t broken?

• CountryClub says:

Yeah, Cash said CC will get the first start after the break. I think the rest of ur rotation makes sense. Hughes and Nova could be flip flopped.

43. NYCSPORTZFAN says:

I’d just assume go with Adam Warren.. TIme to give the kids a look…

44. LiterallyFigurative says:

Not a big deal (hopefully). A couple of starts in June/July aren’t the end of the world, and the team is in 1st place.

45. DJ4K&Monterowasdinero says:

Not worried unless this turns into a Gardy 3 month injury. Initial reports/prognosis and what actually happens have been very unpredictable of late….

46. Mike Myers says:

Are we better off

A) Showing off Warren, for trade bait reasons, and pray for a few good starts

B) Giving the “veteran” a shot, hope he pitches ok, so some one will want to trade for him

C)Re-Sign Mike Myers and have him throw a few shut outs

47. HomerBush says:

If only ManBan was healthy.. this would be a great opportunity to get a glimpse of the jewel of the farm

• Manny's BanWagon says:

They could always bring up Betances. He might be able to last 1 or 2 innings before getting bombed off the mound

48. Manny's BanWagon says:

CC has thrown a shit ton of innings the last 4-5 years so missing a few starts might end up being good for him in the long run.

• Karl Krawfid says:

Came in to post this.

Seems like it should have been one start but Cashman said fuck this see you after the break.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

With a 6 and 7 game lead over TB and Boston, no need to rush him back. Just look at Matt Kemp and Longoria who both got re-injured almost immediately upon returning.

49. thurdonpaul says:

Mike, Is this a late april fools joke ?

• vin says:

That’s what I thought at first. CC is indestructable.

Take your time, big man. Warren, Phelps, Garcia will fill in fine… especially with the other 4 starters consistently giving 7+ innings.

50. RetroRob says:

Just rub some Captain Crunch on it. He’ll be fine.

51. jsbrendog says:

i’m going against him this week in fantasy. that helps a little. but honestly, best team in baseball. this is a good time for him to take a vaca and heal. dude hasnt had a rest in like, 6 yrs. have some donuts….er..celery sticks… kickback.

52. Frank says:

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if CC misses more than 2 starts and is out longer than 15 days. Yanks always downplay severity of injuries. And in this case it would make perfect sense in case they are looking to trade for a another starter.

53. Greg says:

Two starts shouldn’t be an issue. The problem is that he will miss the Sox series.

54. AndrewYF says:

Just my luck. Going to the game on Friday, expecting to see Sabathia. Now I get Freddy.

I’ve seen all of Freddy’s home starts. I can’t escape his ever-present suckitude.

55. mustang says:

I hope the Yankees go with Warren over Garcia. Lets give the kid a chance and see what he has.

56. Adam says:

You never know, the way he’s pitched out of the ‘pen in his last few appearances, we could have a good showing.