Record Last Week: 3-3 (32 RS, 28 RA)
Season Record: 29-24 (249 RS, 226 RA, 29-24 pythag. record), 1.5 games back in AL East
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Rays (three games, Tues. to Thurs.), vs. Mets (three games, Thurs. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week opened with three games in the hellhole know as Angels Stadium. Mark Trumbo hit a walk-off homer on Monday and the Yankees couldn’t do anything right the next day. They managed to salvage the series with a nail-biting win in the finale.
- The Yankees had Thursday off before heading to Detroit for a three game set. Curtis Granderson and Alex Rodriguez homered the Yankees to a win in the opener, but they lost the second game on a walk-off sacrifice fly. Phil Hughes threw a complete game gem in yesterday’s win.
- Injury News: Brett Gardner (elbow) hit in the cage and could soon take batting practice. David Robertson (oblique) threw off a mound over the weekend. Joba Chamberlain (elbow, ankle) threw off a half-mound for the first time since dislocating his ankle. David Aardsma (elbow) faced hitters for the first time since having Tommy John surgery. Eduardo Nunez (thumb) has started taking grounders and Austin Romine (back) was cleared to resume baseball activities. Russell Branyan (back) has returned to game action in the minors.
- The Yankees reportedly spoke to the Nationals about a trade for a starting pitcher involving Nunez, Nik Turley, and an unnamed outfield prospect. Triple-A masher Steve Pearce was the traded to the Orioles for cash.
- Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler was finally declared a free agent, and the Yankees remain interested in the 20-year-old. They’re also pursuing Taiwanese shortstop Tzu-Wei Lin.
- The Yankees claimed right-handed reliever Ryota Igarashi off waivers from the Blue Jays.
- Rafael Soriano will remain the closer when Robertson gets healthy.
- HOPE Week is expanding to the minor league affiliates.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.