Jun

Gardner out 3-4 weeks after PRP therapy

The Yankees announced that Brett Gardner will miss another 3-4 weeks after receiving platelet-rich plasma therapy on his strained right elbow. He also received a cortisone shot. The official diagnosis is a bone bruise, joint inflammation, and a muscle strain.

Gardner did no long-term damage to his elbow, it just hasn’t healed entirely. All three doctors — Ahmad, Andrews, and Kremchek — confirmed the diagnosis. Joe Girardi suggested Brett might not be back until after the All-Star break a few days ago, and that seems pretty spot on right now.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. RetroRob says:

Can we inject him with some of Bartolo Colon’s body fat?

2. Erica says:

Uggggggg. Hey Joba, give Gardy some of your superhuman healing powers!

3. Dude says:

Why do these stories always come out, where we find out that the player hadn’t fully healed yet before being started in his rehab? Can’t they make sure to do ALL the test before declaring the player healthy?

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

This. I’m still frustrated about Pineda and felt the same way then.

• jjyank says:

I thought we’ve been over the Pineda thing on this site. Dye contrasted MRIs are not entirely healthy, and doctors WILL NOT give them to a patient unless other tests prove to be inconclusive. You don’t go to a doctor with a cold and expect them to use health-threatening tests on you right off the bat. They start basic, and go from there.

I’m not a doctor, but I read several articles that back this up after the Pineda stuff, and much of that information was posted here at RAB. Pineda didn’t get the dye contrast MRI sooner because there are health risks in giving it, thus the doctors have to be sure that he needs it for the diagnosis.

I can’t say the same for Gardner, but the Pineda stuff is well documented.

• JohnnyC says:

The patient has to cooperate fully as well. If the tests show nothing and the patient claims no pain…what can you do? Every player wants to play, even through some discomfort or pain, for fear of losing their job to someone else. Human psychology is not going to change.

• RetroRob says:

Why do you think it would made any difference?

4. TheOneWhoKnocks says:

Call up Mustelier or Dickerson. I’d rather Mustelier because I think he’s got higher upside than Dickerson, we know Dickerson isn’t going to be much better than league average anyways so give Mustelier a 3-4 week chance to prove himself. He can’t be any worse than Wise.

Ibanez has been great with the bat but none of us want to see him in LF anymore, and Wise isn’t a great everyday option.

• jjyank says:

I agree about the upside, but can Mustelier play CF? That’s an honest question, I don’t know enough about the guy. But if he can’t, we need someone on the roster to be a back up CF as well.

• JohnnyC says:

Mustelier is a converted 3rd baseman. His OF play is nothing to write home about and he hasn’t even played 1 inning in CF. The only thing we know about him is he has a present hit tool.

• Travelbug83 says:

Agreed on all levels. I’ve watched a couple of SWB games and his OF play.. well… I’d rather see Ibanez in LF than Mustelier, never mind CF. As intriguing as his bat is, I’d rather give him a chance to become at least a solid OF in AAA before bringing him up. The last thing we need is essentially another DH trying to be an outfielder.

• jjyank says:

Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning towards Dickerson personally because I had a feeling that Mustilier couldn’t handle the same defensive positions Dickerson could, but I didn’t know for sure. Appreciate the insight.

• DM says:

“can Mustelier play CF”

Not in a serious way from what I’ve read. He’s much more bat than defender. Maybe the guy who actually watches a lot of his games can chime in.

Frankly I don’t think they need to do anything just yet.

• RetroRob says:

He’s built kind of like a fire plug. He would probably play CF just worse than Raul Ibanez.

5. Karl Krawfid says:

Inject him with some Joba. He’ll be playing in a day.

6. forensic says:

Color me skeptical. I’d still kind of be surprised if he’s back before August at this point.

7. Tom Merritt says:

He’s done for the year period! He was not that good to begin with. Forget Gardner and look for some legit outfielders. Yankees have not had a strong outfield for years and can no longer afford to have that with low performing infield aging and under performing superstars. Let Swish walk at the end of the year. His act is getting old also.

8. [...] Mariano Rivera (knee) had successful surgery to repair his torn ACL. Brett Gardner (elbow) received platelet-rich plasma therapy on his elbow and will miss another 3-4 weeks. Nick Swisher (quad contusion) is day-to-day. Rafael [...]

9. [...] point this weekend, his first time doing any sort of serious baseball activity since suffering his second setback. If all goes well during his latest rehab attempt, he’s expected back at the end of the [...]