Jun

Joba, Aardsma getting closer to return

Via George King, right-hander Joba Chamberlain (elbow, ankle) will face hitters in nine days for the first time since having Tommy John surgery last June. He’s been throwing bullpen sessions and the next step is live batting practice. Meanwhile, David Aardsma (elbow) is likely to appear in his first minor league rehab game with the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League Yankees sometimes next week. That will start his 30-day rehab clock and put him on track to return in mid-July. Hard not to be excited about the progress these two have made in recent weeks.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

That’s just downright incredible, especially Joba. I told my wife who’s a doctor that Joba was trying to come back this season, and she looked genuinely baffled and responded ‘the one with the open ankle fracture?’.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, I’m no doctor, but Joba’s recovery (so far) amazes me.

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

While the speed of return is definitely downright incredible, it was a dislocation not a fracture.

• JonS says:

But it was an open dislocation.

• sodapopinski says:

In my experience, fractures heal the fastest. Put some pins in, and you’re good to practically begin rehab. The other stuff, dislocations, sprains, etc., are usually much slower to heal.

In any case, hooray for Joba! We’ll have him back on a trampoline in no time!

2. RE Junior says:

This is an incredible development.We need them.

• Dropped Third says:

I dont know if need is the word but we would have a crazy deep bullpen and some nice trade chips at the deadline.

• jjyank says:

Crazy deep bullpen indeed, but I highly, highly doubt anyone on the major league roster is traded at the deadline.

• Scott says:

Can’t claim my finger is on the pulse of all teams’ rosters, but: wouldn’t you think a solid reliever could be traded for a better 4th/5th OF than what we got?

• Dropped Third says:

Why not? If your 5th or 6th best reliever is pitching great you might be able to get more value out of trading him then letting him pitch once or twice a week.

3. Smart Guy says:

keep Joba in AAA as a starter

4. nsalem says:

My guess would be that Garcia would be the first to go and he really won’t be missed. The next move would be parting with Eppley or Rapada and considering the job both of them have been doing it will be sad to see either of them go. They both deserve a better fate, but i would imagine both of them have established themselves as competent major league pitchers and will soon get a chance somewhere else.

• jjyank says:

I think Garcia stays actually. His value as garbage time innings, a long man, and starter insurance is probably higher than Eppley’s value as a ROOGY. Aardsma and Joba are both righties too, I bet Eppley gets axe first, then probably Rapada.

• RetroRob says:

Garcia’s role, which was also Phelps’ role, which was Noesi’s role, which was Colon’s role before he entered the rotation is that of the long man. Someone who can come in and give two to five innings when required, yet also handle that role when sitting and being inactive for long stretches. Out of the group comprised of Garcia, Joba and Aardsma, Garcia seems best suited for that role.

Eppley is toast, no matter how useful he’s been. He’ll be sent back down. If Joba takes his slot, I have no idea where they’ll fit Aardsma.

5. DERP says:

I’m going to start referring to them as one person, Joba Aardsma.

6. mark says:

Wow. Eppley and Rapada have been great. I also like having sidewinders in the pen since it offers a different look. Any chance Wade gets the axe?

• vin says:

Nope, Wade has been great.

Soriano, Robertson, Wade, Logan, Joba, Aardsma, and probably Rapada.

Freddy and Eppley would need to be replaced. Someone will probably get injured between now and then anyway.

With the way the starters have been pitching, there’s little need for a 7 man bullpen, but I think that’s the new standard in the AL.

• jjyank says:

Eppley and Rapada have stepped up in a big way, but going forward, Wade >>>> Eppley and Rapada.

It sucks, they certainly don’t deserve the axe, but such is life.

• Ted Nelson says:

I don’t know that both will get the ax. Will be interesting to see if they keep a long-man or an effective short-reliever… since there’s no guarantee Aardsma especially is even as effective as those two.

• RetroRob says:

There is no way the Yankees are giving up their second lefty in Rapada.

7. TomH says:

Of course, first thing’s first: we have to see how well these two guys pitch. Especially the guy who had the open ankle fracture!

8. Yankeegm says:

I realize as Yankees fans rekindling this debate would feel like jamming a pencil deep into one’s eye socket, But I read this the other day and have an issue witH it…

“Joba pitched only 43 games out of the rotation with a 4.18 era, 8.4k/9, and 2.04 bb/9.”

With the need for TJ the obvious cause of his diminished velo, how can we not put him back in the ro and give him every opportunity to become a beast of a starter ???

• jjyank says:

Yeah, I know that debate has been beaten to hell, but I agree. TJS rehab seems like the perfect opportunity to stretch him out. I doubt it happens, but a fan can dream.

• Ted Nelson says:

While I think one can argue to try him as a starter (and one can argue against it too), I don’t think TJS had anything to do with him starting. He hasn’t started in years now, and a shoulder rather than elbow problem is said to have been the problem.

• RetroRob says:

The need for TJ was not the obvious cause of his diminished velocity. He had diminished speed for three years after he injured his shoulder, not his elbow. It never came back when comparing reliever-to-reliever velocity and starter-to-starter velocity. He also lost some command on his pitches.

I still hold out some hope that the time off and the very act of rehabbing might have a positive impact on Joba’s velocity overall, helping not just his elbow, but his shoulder. If we see him coming out of the pen and living in the upper 90s again then there would be reason for excitment.

Yet taking that a step further, who exactly would be replacing in the rotation right now? There’s no room at the inn.

9. crawdaddie says:

With his ankle injury I doubt they stretched him out his summer.

10. DERP says:

Next year:

Rivera
    Robertson
    Soriano
    Joba
    Aardsma
    Logan
    Wade (or a possible longman)

LOL at the rest of baseball

11. Pounder says:

On Joba,”He’s been throwing bullpen sessions and the next step is live batting practice.” Next step? Pun intended?

12. yoo-boo says:

If they come back at the same time after July then it will be a good new problem.

Eppley will be optioned to AAA. Trade Wade for OF or off bench power hitter who will replace Nix on the roster.

Once the playoff arrives, Eppley will replace Garcia as one starter will be in bullpen.

Rapada and Garcia can’t be removed from the squad. Without Garcia, we don’t have a long reliever. Girardi likes 2 southpaw relievers.

If Rapada falters in late summer then he will be replaced by Justin Thomas but not that earlier.

• yoo-boo says:

Girardi may not get crazy about Aardsma because he walks too much. Wade rarely walks. Who knows.

• bpdelia says:

Yeah thing is aatdsma has serious potential value as a sixth inking and later MRP. Plus the insane team friendly option. They MUST get him on the roster and see what happens. I think a long man is unneeded but we will see. Stretch jobs out to be a two to four inking relieved and get added flexibility. Then you trade eppleybecause the cielling on aardsma is too high to lose him. The second year option is the key here. Saddam’s will be paid like a fringy middle relieved next season. Its too sweet to pass up for the likes of eppley and rapada is doing what he has always done in dominating pettiest completely. Logan is no longer a loogy. Rapada is the loogy.

Stretch jobs as a power arm Multics inking relieved dfa Garcia demote eppley. Nice problem. Few teams can lose the best relieved in history and experience no pain.

THIS was always the rationale on the soriano overpay. Itwas mo insurance. Working out very well id say

• bpdelia says:

Ps kindle fire auto correct turns even people who write constantly into sixth grade spelling bee losers. Id rather miss spell than have my device turn my grammar into a stream of nonsensical gibberish

13. Betty Lizard says:

Joba has given me a new respect for the Corn Fed.
    Maybe UNL could study him as an alternative source of energy. Jobanol?
    As a sister Nebraskan, I say “Go Huskers!”

14. chris says:

I wonder how his arm will respond to the “extra” few months off. He was pitching a bit in the spring, stretched it out a bit then basically shut it down for a few months. That can only help the arm.

15. nsalem says:

Maybe Joba gets stretched out in the bullpen to go two or three innings. Aardsma and Joba are not getting the 8th or 9th inning unless there are injuries or Robertson or Soriano fall off a cliff (or fall down the stairs). Logan is also showing he is more than a LOOGY also. These are great problems to have and has the potential off being a memorable bullpen. I think this type of bullpen bodes very well for post-season play. Girardi will be in mix and match heaven

• Barry says:

“Stairs” is on the 60 day DL so I doubt anyone’s falling over him anytime soon.

• nsalem says:

Did Cesar wind up on the DL from D-Rob falling on him? Is that what happened? Sounds suspicious a little like a Carl Pavano injury.