Jun

Saturday Night Open Thread

(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Here is your open thread for this fine evening. MLB Network will air a game later tonight, but the teams depend on where you live. Apparently Game Three of the NBA Finals won’t be played until tomorrow night. Lame. If you’re in the D.C. area, we’re having a meet-up tonight as well. Enjoy your evening and feel free to talk about whatever you want here.

Categories : Open Thread

1. BK2ATL says:

Thank Andy Pettitte’s strategy against Bryce Harper for what he’s about to face, esp. vs. LHP. He’s gonna have some adjustments to make, because he got exposed.

8 wins deep in this. Tex delivering in the clutch. Loving how we’re winning. No HRs today. Great pitching. LOL!!!

Also, loved how we made Jordan Zimmerman work after the 1st inning. Every at-bat was a challenge for him.

• forensic says:

His overall pitches/plate appearance isn’t terrible, but a few box scores I’ve seen have been 9 or 10 pitches in 4 or 5 AB’s, and he’s had a few 1 pitch AB’s in this series, along with the 3 pitch K’s obviously.

It’s hard to criticize too hard since he’s still doing really well at 19, but he seems to swing at a lot of pitches, despite the solid OBP. Maybe a little too anxious or over-aggresive trying to impress?

• BK2ATL says:

Not sure if you’ve seen both games, but the Yankees’ pitchers have owned him so far. He did smoke a long FB out to left center today. But 1-11 with 6Ks tell the story. There weren’t any long at-bats, with all less than 5 pitches.

• forensic says:

Yeah, that’s what I’m saying. Swinging at a ton of pitches’ which is why his overall P/PA not being much lower was surprising to me.

• Brian S. says:

I hate that we won without a home run. How can you be happy about that?

• BK2ATL says:

The whole all-the-eggs-in-one-basket thing. Dude, that’s one streak that needed to end, just like today’s 1-14 RISP deal. So yeah, I’m happy. LOL!!!

• A-Rod's Wingman says:

If it meant getting it done in nine innings I would have gladly settled for needing a HR to win rather than decimating the bullpen. Who gives a shit if they hit a lot of home runs? I hope they hit ten a game.

2. RetroRob says:

Yankees win, and in other good news, Curt Schilling takes a leave from his duties at ESPN to focus on his business and personal affairs.

3. yoo-boo says:

First victory in homerless game by Yanks. Congrats!!!

4. Total Dominication says:

This article was great, made me smile: http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/6.....mlb_t11_a1

5. yoo-boo says:

If Swisher goes to DL then I can’t wait to see Mesa or Almonte play since both are on 40 man DL.

6. Brian S. says:

Beckett on the DL. He ate some bad Popeye’s and got some crucial intestinal virus.

7. BK2ATL says:

What do you guys think of what’s going on with Cliff Lee ($25 million) this year?

• Total Dominication says:

Well the Phillies offense and bullpen is giving him nothing.

• BK2ATL says:

But over 11 starts already???

• RetroRob says:

Even after today, his ERA is 3.40, his FIP is 3.10 and his xFIP is 2.90, striking out a man per inning. On a different team, or starting on different days on the same team, he’d probably have seven or eight wins.

He once jokingly said he signed with the Phillies and not the Yankees because the Yankees were an older team. He was right. Yet he went to an older team that’s playing like an old team.

Good luck, Cliff. $25 million a year will hopefully make up for where the Phillies are heading the next few years.

• BK2ATL says:

Funny how that worked out, right???

Now he’s stuck having to face significantly younger and possibly better NL East teams like Washington, Atlanta and Miami for the remainder of that contract. All as the Yankees’ battle for World Series titles each year.

Those advanced stats are like moral victories. Prime example being King Felix. The Phillies will probably never sniff the World Series for the duration of that contract. And even worse, Cole Hamels is bolting BECAUSE OF that contract.

• jjyank says:

I agree with most of this, but I wouldn’t say Hamels will bolt because of Lee’s contract. Hamels will probably walk, I agree, but because of a lack of contention. Ultey is old, Howard is not as effective and injured, Pence is good but is also a free agent soon….their lineup is who exactly? Even Victorino is a free agent soon. My own guess is that Hamels will leave because the team overall just sucks. I admire the Phillies trying to build an insane pitching staff, and it was cool to see last year (Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Oswalt). But they’re going nowhere fast, and I laugh at Cliff Lee endlessly for choosing the Phillies because the Yankees are “older”. Enjoy the NL East basement, Cliff.

• BK2ATL says:

No, it IS because they signed Lee that they now cannot afford Hamels. They locked up Halladay along with Howard and Utley. They went and got Papelbon. But it was the Lee contract that pretty much left no money for Hamels to re-sign.

It’s not about contention, as Hamels has already said that he’d prefer to stay with the Phillies. They just don’t have the money to pony up for a 3rd $20+ million/yr SP.

As a Yanks’ fan, all of this is lovely to see play out.

• jjyank says:

True, but it’s not just Lee. Paying $50 mil for a closer goes a long way to freeing up money for Hamels, ditto the Howard extension. Amaro Jr. has been throwing money around like it’s going out of style in general, and that will bite him in the ass. I don’t think it’s the Lee contract in particular. Sure, it plays a part, but a couple other crazy contracts/extensions play into it as well. They could easily afford both Lee and Hamels in that market if they wanted to, but probably priced themselves out of the Hamels sweepstakes with several contracts, not just Lee’s.

• BK2ATL says:

I understand the Papelbon contract, even if I don’t like the dude. Philly’s been through hell in the bullpen. They wanted that to end. They didn’t think Madsen was that answer, and in hindsight, they made the right choice. Papelbon has locked down the closer role, while Madsen subsequently is out for the year.

No team could reasonably nor realistically absorb 3 $20+ million/yr starters and field a competitive team.

They committed to Halladay ($20M AAV), Howard ($25M AAV), Utley ($12M AAV)and J-Roll ($11M AAV). Hamels (SP) was gone once Lee (SP) was signed ($24M AAV). Papelbon’s (RP) contract ($12.5M AAV) had nothing to do with Hamels. Lee’s does.

• RetroRob says:

I see what you’re saying, but in reality it’s all the money that will impact the Phillies’ ability to sign Hamels. They are already concerned about bumping up against the soft salary cap, so signing Papelbon for that amount of money (no team was going to come anywhere near that number) wasn’t wise.

If Halladay hadn’t injured himself, I would have recommended they try and move Halladay to clear salary for Hamels. The Lee contract is too long and costly to move right now.

I’m not sure what they have coming off the books after this year to potentially free up salary. I just can’t see them spending $20 million plus per season on three different pitchers.

Dark days ahead in Philly. That’s my guess!

• jjyank says:

That last part was my point though, and you proved it for me. All I was was saying is that it wasn’t the Lee contract exclusively that would prevent a potential Hamels signing/extension. I did mention Howard before, and I’m not sure how you can say those prior contracts don’t affect Hamels. Of course they do! Every single contract you mentioned has to do with Hamels because they all have an impact on the budget. I really don’t understand your point. Multiple huge contract have nothing to do with Hamels, but Lee’s contract is the sole detriment? That’s stupid (no offense). Every single big contract Philly has handed out his a detriment, it’s not all on one contract. They could retain Hamels if it wasn’t for, say Papelbon and Howard just as easily. Doesn’t have to be all about Lee.

• Me says:

Remember how he said the reason he chose Philly was that he wanted to be on a team that would compete every year. How’s that working out. It feels so good seeing this whipped clown is going to rot in Philly.

• Brian S. says:

Remember when he signed with the Phillies because the Yankees were ‘too old’? Despite the Phillies actually having an older team than the Yankees.

8. TomH says:

ARod, quoted on Lohud:

I’m giddy when I get up in the morning,” he said. “It’s nice to wake up and make it be about baseball. I’ve had more work with Kevin (Long) this year than probably the past two combined years.

[at http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

This bit about hyper-work with Long, I groaned a bit inwardly when I read it. Maybe it’s gone over the top now, i.e., on the Yogi principle of too much thinking getting in the way of hitting. Maybe he’s becoming too self-conscious up there, too mechanics-oriented.

• jjyank says:

Who knows, but one thing nobody can’t criticize A-Rod about is his work ethic and determination. The dude is a well-documented batting cage rat and works with his hitting coach all the time.

At least he’s not some declining vet who says “Fuck you hitting coach, I do what I want”. I give A-Rod props for working that hard to correct what is most likely an age-related decline.

• RetroRob says:

Agreed. A-Rod works hard and he loves baseball.

In the end, he’s still about to turn 37 and has a bad hip. At least we can be sure he’s pushing as hard as he can to stay healthy and be as productive as possible as he ages.

• jjyank says:

And as much as some Yankee fans don’t want to see it, he’s still been very productive. He’ll never perform like he did in the prime of his career, but like you said, he’s almost 37. And at 37, he’s a top 5 third basemen in all of baseball. Is that what he’s getting paid for? No. But A-Rod didn’t construct that contract himself, it was offered to him by ownership (Hank). I don’t blame A-Rod for signing his name on the dotted line for that much money, and I don’t blame him for not playing like a $30 mil player as he approaches his 37th birthday.

But he tries as hard as anyone else in the league. He works harder than anyone else I’ve read about, and simultaneously mentors young players in the process. That is enough for me to like A-Rod.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Agreed he has been average defensively, and been posting 122 wRC+ at the age of 37 and still walking at a good clip. Maybe he would be more suited to the #2 hole move C-Grand the #4, but not that big of a deal.

• jjyank says:

Totally agree. A-Rod is still productive, but might more more suited for the #2 hole. I also don’t think it’s that big of a deal over the course of a season, but I would like to see that too in a perfect world.

9. Rey22 says:

Love how the Yankees thoroughly dominated Harper today. Too bad he’s in my fantasy team, but I’ll take it.

10. Pat D says:

Halfway through the Ultimate Saturday. So far, not as bad as I had feared. But there are 4 more hours to go.

11. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Fucking Cubs can’t do anything right.

12. BK2ATL says:

Another thing. How in the hell is Oliver Perez back in MLB???

13. Cuso says:

So now that Andy popped his Nationals Park cherry, how many parks has he pitched in? It’s gotta be somewhere around 37 or 38 right?

• Cuso says:

The only current one he hasn’t pitched in is Miami. I know there’s like 8 old ones at least that he pitched in, but I’m fuzzy on some of the somewhat old NL parks. It would depend on when interleague started. (Cincinnati Pittsburgh etc.)

• vicki says:

looks like 39.

14. RetroRob says:

So we already had a one hitter today from the Orioles pitcher, and Ervin Santana had a perfect game through one out in the seventh before giving up a hit.

Maybe we’ll get a no-hitter a week.