Jun

Sunday Night Open Thread

Definitely a fan of the three-game sweep, but a three-game sweep of the Mets is always a little extra special. Things didn’t look so good for most of the game really, but the Yankees got some fortunate bounces and some bloops finally blooped before Russell Martin hit the team’s first walk-off homer since September 2010. That’s six wins in seven games and 13 in 17 games. Pretty awesome.

Anyway, here’s your open thread for the night. The ESPN Sunday Night Game is the Tigers at the Reds (Smyly vs. Bailey), and that’s all you’ve got as far as the major sports are concerned. Feel free to talk about whatever you like here, go nuts.

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

No Yankees. No Heat tonight. I guess I’ll have to brush up on my conversational skills.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Screw conventional stuff.

Night out on the sidewalks! I don’t often get to do that on Sunday nights, and one time I did, I could’ve been in danger of getting shot in the nearby gang neighborhoods. Fun times!!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Time for you to brush up on your colors?

• jjyank says:

Funny story, I live in a semi-shady neighborhood in DC. It’s not that bad (from what I can tell so far), but the price is irresistible. When I was checking it out, I say to my dad “Hey, it can’t be that bad, I parked behind a Beamer 7 series on the street!”

My dad: “Drug kingpin. Don’t live there.”

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Go Thunder.

• jjyank says:

I went with cooking. First meal I cook in the new apartment in DC. Steak + George Forman Grill = winning.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I always remembered the main drawback of those things was leaving something in it for about a minute too long and winding up with shoe leather texture.

• jjyank says:

Worked out well tonight. In fact, it was a little shy of medium rare, could have left in there a bit longer. Still delicious.

Beggars can’t be choosers with a tight budget (meaning, I don’t have the money/space for a real grill).

• Jacob says:

Sounds like a bandwagon fan >.>

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Who sounds like a bandwagon fan? I was a Heat fan in ’88 when the best they could do was Rory Fucking Sparrow.

2. swishers fauxhawk says:

Florida advances to the CWS on a called strike three about six inches off the plate.

3. Mark says:

Stony Brook LSU play a deciding game 3 tonight to go to the CWS. Game is at 8 on ESPN News for some reason? First two games have been pretty fun to watch.

4. Tom Zig says:

Why did they pick Cody Eppley for that video? So random

• jjyank says:

Haha I thought the same thing. The whole time I was like “Who the hell is that?” And then he turned around and I saw the number, and I go “Ohhhh….Eppley…this could have been so much cooler.”

5. BK2ATL says:

Great sweep of the Mets, made sweeter by Aveces blowing the game in the 9th in Boston, with ex-Yank Tyler Clippard shutting it down. Maybe we get a Soler signing??? #slowsundaytrifecta

Tonight, no Yankees, no basketball, no Game of Thrones….Oh well, Mad Men season finale and gotta settle for The Borgias.

• jjyank says:

If you’re into comedies, The League is awesome. I’ve been on a marathon. Only a couple of seasons, but that show is gold.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

The League’s okay, the best comedies are the usual suspects: Community, Louie, Archer, Parks and Rec, The Office (UK, first three of the US version are okay I guess), Modern Family, Happy Endings, and Cougar Town. There were a couple of good comedies in this new season: The New Girl and Don’t Trust the B in Apartment 23 are surprisingly good.

• jjyank says:

Besides Archer, I find most of those (haven’t seen a couple) rather boring. Modern Family and Archer are probably the best, but those are the kind of shows that make me chuckle a little, but not actually laugh. The League is far dirty in its sense of humor, and that’s how I roll. Also a big fan of Workaholics and Entourage (older seasons).

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Workaholics is legit. Forgot about it. Comedy Central to me is basically the South Park network, just now getting used to the new shows that they have. How do you not like Community? It’s pure genius. A lot better the second time through too, at least IMO anyways. Very Arrested Development-esque. A show built around quirky characters that’s highly self aware and awesomely goofy. I’m looking forward to Wilfred coming back…first season was pretty good and I’m looking to see what they do in the second one. What’s your take on Curb?

• FIPster Doofus says:

Started watching Workaholics a couple weeks ago and got hooked on it. Now I’ve seen every episode. It’s a hilarious show.

• jjyank says:

Community is one of the ones I have not seen. But I do love Arrested Development, so I’ll check that out.

• Pat D says:

You should definitely start Community from the beginning and, trust me, give it some time. It took a few episodes before they found their niche, but it’s been a great ride so far.

Now, that ride is pretty much over despite the show’s renewal.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

If you like dirty watch Californication…

6. SMK says:

I thought Boone Logan earned all of Johann Santana’s $137.5M contract with his performance today.

/McCarver’d

• jjyank says:

Yankees send Vizcaino, Cabrera, and Dunn to the Braves.

Braves send Vazquez and Logan to the Yankees.

Who the hell would have thought that Boone Logan would have been the most useful piece in that trade?

…and before anyone says it, Melky doesn’t count, the Braves DFA’d him because he was so awful.

7. kiss the rings says:

Has anyone seen the power rankings hee texas is at 1 and the yankees are at 8????

• Havok9120 says:

From where? ESPN’s doesn’t come out until tomorrow and their last one had us 10th due to RISPFail and splitting the Angles-Tigers games. We’ve since gone 5-1.

8. Jimmy McNulty says:

Not a bad weekend for the Yankees. Phil looked okay, but he still allows too many damn home runs, still has a 4.98 FIP (4.32 xFIP). Enjoy the run while it lasts, I guess…he’ll go back to sucking soon enough. Nice to see the bats come alive and see what Russell Martin looks like when he’s not getting BABIPed to death. Also nice to see the Mets go back to being the Mets we all know and love.

• jjyank says:

If there are two teams I continue to scoff at when their fans try to trash talk me, it’s the Mets and Orioles. I still think they’ll both be in their respective basements by the end of the season.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Mets might finish out of the basement. It’s hard to see Baltimore finishing anywhere other than last place. They’re better than a last place team, they’d finish no worse than third in the AL Central but the AL East is just brutal.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, it’s got more to do with the respective division than the quality of the team. The Mets MIGHT finish out of the basement, but I still think the Phillies (terrible offense and all) and the Marlins (if Johnson and Reyes are healthy – granted, big if) are better teams.

• Havok9120 says:

I can actually see them beating out Toronto or even Boston, though the latter only because they’re injured guys keep being, well, injured. It’ll all depend on Baltimore’s pitchers.

Its amusing to me how Baltimore’s fans have seemed to react to this season. They were all so cynical about it for the first 5 or 6 weeks, then a lot of them magically became True Believers very, very quickly in mid-late May. Then the team collapsed for a bit and no one knows what’s going on.

• jjyank says:

Heh I was at a bar in DC watching a Yankees – O’s game a couple weeks ago, and the guy was seriously convinced that the O’s would finish in first by the end of the season…I didn’t know what to say. I opted to not say anything, because I felt bad and felt like he should have his moment in the sun for a couple of weeks.

• Havok9120 says:

Its nuts. And the Toronto fans were just as bad for a couple weeks (I have several, being from Upstate).

I mean, when the Sox won their two rings and got big heads and big expectations, it was extremely annoying and unreasonable, but at least they’d done something. Baltimore has 1 great and 1 good month (with a week or two of disaster thrown in), and their fans think they’re going to take the division wire to wire.

I think its what happens when you’re used to only paying attention to your team for two months a year because by June 15th they’re out of contention. You start thinking that 2 months is an accurate indication of the path the season will take.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, you’re right. But I can’t blame them. What else can those fans do? I know I’d probably do the same thing in their situations (though I am an optimist by nature). It’s gotta be tough to be a fan of a team that’s had so many sub .500 seasons in a row.

But seriously, the O’s will be lucky to finish 4th in this division.

9. Erica says:

Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhat a freakin’ game. Great atmosphere there today – it was very cute hearing the Mets fans chanting for their team. Solid effort, kids!

That Russell Martin home-run looked fantastic from Section 122 (SORRY, I had to seat-drop… I HAD to).

Very frustrating watching A-Rod though.

• jjyank says:

Awesome seats! Must have been a great game to see in person.

• Erica says:

OH MY GOD, IT WAS.

I’ve never been this close to the field before, so it was truly a special experience – and what a game to go to, it being the Subway Series and all. Must read through the game thread though, because I’m sure there were a ton of you screaming at the tv, too.

• jjyank says:

Of course, there was the usual game thread stuff. My mom’s company has season tickets like 3 rows back behind the Yankee dugout. I only got to go once, because they’ve been really strict about taking non-clients. But she had a client cancel on her just a few hours before, so we went for it. Amazing view. Someday I’ll be rich and sit there all the time!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Not wondering whether you should go to the game anymore, are you?

10. Mike E says:

So if the Yankees land Jorge Soler, from the little we know, he’s probably #2 in the system, slightly above Mason Williams and right behind Banuelos.

11. Reggie C. says:

Hopefully by this time tomorrow night, the Jorge Soler saga will have come to an end. Favorably. I’ve no doubt the Yankees could outbid the Cubs in this process, and likely have. However, Theo and his people have a long record of contact with Soler’s camp, so I would understand if that connection wasn’t broken over a difference of a couple million guaranteed dollars.

Soler is actually younger than Rafael DePaula, which is crazy considering Soler has been a name for a couple years now. Both “older” international guys could find themselves on the same High A/ AA squad next season.

12. Monterowasdinero says:

Melky set the all-time hits in one month record for the Giants in May besting Willie Mays by 2. Seriously?

13. Brian S. says:

So we face Delgado tomorrow. Who else do we get against Atlanta?

14. Improvident Lackwit says:

Bill Murray ran on the tarp at the RiverDogs game

15. Havok9120 says:

Aaaaaand Stony Brook wins easily.

This is me, loving it. Its especially nice since I’m surrounded by silly LSU fans most of the time.

16. Tom says:

Just saw the highlights of Nats/Red Sox.

Good to see Pedroia joining the list of Red Sox whiners on ball/strike calls – joining Ortiz, Youkilis and Adrian Gonzalez as players who if they take a pitch it’s obviously a ball.

Valentine was bitching about the umpiring in the post game as being a one sided problem all series long. (the sweep probably had nothing to do with the Nats pitching throttling Boston)

17. Brian in NH says:

I kinda like this video…only in New York. I exclude the Chicago because the Cubs are usually just terrible, at least the Mets have one a couple World Series. I like beating the Mets, but its not extra special for me. I actually root for them as a second team. My dad was a Mets fan growing up in the 60s and 70s, so I can kind of root for them.