Jun

Thursday Night Open Thread

Off days are always better on the heels of a six game winning streak. Everyone’s feeling great about the Yankees, the weather outside is wonderful, and dudes are taking the ol’ water-propelled jetpack out for a flight over McCovey Cove. Pretty much a normal Thursday, no?

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. Game Two of the NBA Finals starts a little later tonight (9pm ET on ABC), plus MLB Network will carry a game as well (teams depend on where you live). Talk about whatever you like here, have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. jjyank says:

That video was awesome.

In other news, one of my new coworkers should be this today, and it made me think of Tom Riddle/The Plouffenator (sorry, the only handle still sticks in my head).

2. Jacob says:

Not having a Yankee game to watch on your birthday blows! But at least Matt Cain threw a perfect game on it, that always works.

3. forensic says:

Here’s hoping no pitchers in the Yankee organization next year choose to or are allowed to participate…

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

Thank you, Mets, for making the AL East a bit easier for us.

• jjyank says:

As my cousin and I discussed via facebook status comments today, the Mets are now our friends. They rolled over and let us sweep them, and then they swept the Rays. Absolutely perfect.

5. Phil says:

So how about that Vidal Nuno? Back when he was domimating low A, I still thought he would only be organizational depth. But now that he is dominating his peers at AA, I can’t help but think he might have a major league future

6. Raza says:

The Suits season premiere is tonight. Can’t wait for that.

7. DERP says:

Very important question.

Will there be a chat tomorrow? I don’t what I will do with myself at work tomorrow if there isn’t.

8. DERP says:

The Pirates really suck.

9. DERP says:

Here is a little blurb on draft pick Jimmy Reed:

He will pitch in the Cape Cod League and be a summer follow.

10. Kevin G. says:

I don’t think Ivan Nova’s Twitter is run by a PR guy…

11. Brian S. says:

Trade for Will Venable right meow.

12. deadrody says:

Hey, so how about the Melkster out in San Fran, eh ? I’m shocked I haven’t seen anything on here about it, at least in a mailbag segment.

Dude is CRUSHING it out on the bay there, leading the NL in batting, hits, and triples. Heck, until I saw him in the box score last night, I hadn’t even thought of Melky. I knew he was having a solid season at one point last year, but I did not realize he finished the year with an OPS over .800 and 200 hits. Impressive.

But at least we have, uh, Boone Logan! Atlanta didn’t make out much better. Melky was ABYSMAL for them and was released and Arodys Vizcaino just had TJ surgery. At least they turned Mike Dunn (and others) into Dan Uggla, who is having a solid year for them.

• jjyank says:

I’m glad for Melky, I always liked him. That being said, I still think he’s playing over his head and someone else needs to pay him next off season.

For a second there I though you were one of the guys who was going to blast the Yankees for trading Melky, until I saw that you also acknowledged that he absolutely terrible for the Braves, therefore he no longer counts for that trade. I think Boone Logan has easily become the most useful piece in that trade, and how fucking crazy is that? I know, I know, You Can’t Predict Baseball, Suzyn, but who thought Boone Logan of all people would be the most useful?

• Brian S. says:

People comment about him all the time on here.

• Kevin G. says:

Trade doesn;t even matter. Melky probably would have been gone by now anyway

13. Brian S. says:

What happened to Gavin Floyd and John Danks this season? Yikes. Imagine how good the White Sox could be if they pitched like they have the last few years.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Remember when the Yanks were doomed if they didn’t trade for one of them?

• Tom says:

Danks was over-rated. His peripheral stats weren’t all that great (good, but not great), but with all the trade talk perception of him ratcheted up ridiculously.

The guy has a career FIP of 4.17… not exactly even a #2 or 3 for many staffs. He was a bit better the last 2 years, but still overrated. Floyd at least has better #’s this year (beyond the ERA) and similar career #’s to Danks.

Garza is going to be this year’s Danks…. as his name gets floated around more and more, the legend will grow.

14. Robinson Tilapia says:

Finally got the nerve to turn on the Heat game. Yes, I turn into Greg during the NBA Playoffs.

• jjyank says:

Or maybe you’re Greg and you turn into Robinson Tilapia during Yankee games?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m fairly positive I’m not Greg, but I do turn into Robinson Tilapia during Yankee games, unless you all think I answer to this name on the street.

Example: Up by 17, and I just know the Thunder will make more than one run here. I don’t calm down until there’s about 3:00 left in the game.

15. CS Yankee says:

My youngest son is going to hockey camp in Canada this summer and plan on picking him up and catching in a Jays/Yankees game as well as a game in the Tigers series just prior to that.

Could use some insight on;
    1) Is the hotel in RC worth the premium?
    2) best seats for the bucks are..?
    3) Best food & pub is…?

#2 & 3 for Detroit as well.

Thanks in advance.

• j6takish says:

At Comerica, probably the best value you can get are standing room only. They are dirt cheap and you can literally stand just about anywhere, including in front of the wall in the field level section right on the 1st base line. You do have to get their early and be pretty territorial about space though. As far as actual seats, check out the 2nd and 3rd decks behind home plate. Usually only like 35 bucks for good seats. Avoid the outfield, you’re so far back from the action. For food, Anywhere in Greektown is good if you’re not familiar with the area. Detroit gets sketchy literally as soon as you venture out of the Greektown area

• Ralph says:

never been to the hotel in the rogers centre… but the last few hotels I’ve been to is around 100~150 per night.. more than that is major overpaid.

best seats… the ones around home plate at 500 level has a pretty good view, seeing the score board and the jumbotron.

food… a lot of nice eatery, just depends on your taste. You could go check on toronto star’s website or something, and the worst you can do is walk around a bit and there should be a pub to the south west of rogers centre

16. pat says:

James Harden, I’m losing respect for you per flop.

17. Robinson Tilapia says:

See? When the other team starts sinking threes like no one’s business, I start hiding underneath the table in preparation for impending doom.

18. Bill says:

Lets trade for garza and instead of giving up a ton of prospects offer to take on Alfonso Soriano and his contract too. Who knows how long jones and Ibanez will hold up with Gardner out another month and you can never have enough pitching.

19. I’m watching the game. Am I the only one that feels that the officiating has been very one sided?

20. Robinson Tilapia says:

I think I need new pants after those last few minutes of the game.